User Reviews for Nuvigil

Learn more about Nuvigil.

Nuvigil Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome.

Reviews for Nuvigil to treat Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome

"I've been using Nuvigil (and Provigil before that) and it works well. As others before me have said, it's nice to not fall asleep in rhe middle of the day at work. That being said, I still don't get enough sleep, even with the CPAP. Lately I've been averaging under 6 hours a night, and at that rate, I still get sleepy at times. But, once the insurance company is convinced that I need the Nuvigil, they approve for a year at a time. If you have prescription drug coverage check out their website, because they have a discount card you can use to lower your costs even more, up to $50 off your co-pay. (excludes Medicare/Medicaid) This has saved me hundreds of dollars!"

madtay111 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 12, 2015

"For myself, I say it's been a wonder pill. All it does for me is it makes me normal after many years. Never knew it could be possible. Shift work, odd hours, 30 years of bad intermitant sleep? NOT NO MORE!"

MYSELF AND MYSELF (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2015

"I was undiagnosed with severe Otructive Sleep Apnea/Hyponea Syndrome for 10 years. I would sleep from 9 to 11 hours a night and was still tired. I also had terrible headache whenever I woke up. I had surgery for a deviated septum and had my uvula removed. CPAP was a huge improvement but I still woke up tired and foggy. Still had to nap during the day. My doctor and I fought for 2 years with the insurance company to get approved for Nuvigil. Without insurance I would have to pay $719 per month for 30 pills 150mg. With insurance my copay is $50. Since taking Nuvigil my life has changed for the better. I wake up without the fog and can stay active for 15 hours without taking a nap. Nuvigil gave me my life back!"

wpcj September 8, 2014

"After trying the CPAP machine for a short time, I had to resort to medication instead. I couldn't breath through my nose due to deviated septum, narrow nasal passages. CPAP was useless. It kept me awake at night, uncomfortable, dug into my nose.Surgery on nose 12/13 & breathing better, but still had issues staying awake at wrong times. Had to fight for Nuvigil and Insurance. Finally allowed 1yr, Whole pill, talk 2 much. 1/2pill not enough What to do? ... But great."

Obstructive Sleep Apnea (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2014

"Have had sleep apnea for awhile and started using CPAP machine alone about 6 months before also adding Nuvigil. Nuvigil helps me get through my work shifts more effectively, especially when transitioning from working 3rd shift to having 3 days off and having to conform with a normal sleep pattern. I liken this medication to taking a 5 hr energy, but it is more effective and lasts longer. I still yawn, but my brain is fully alert and am able to concentrate like I haven't been able to in years. I'm quite impressed - only side effects have been minor headaches a few days a month and at first a slight nauseated feeling. No jitters or nervousness - love it! Insurance co-pay was $45.00 but the Nuvigil Rx Savings Card brought my co-pay down to $5."

Sleep Apnea & Shift Worker (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2013

"I have OSAH and for the couple of years before this medicine- I couldn't drive more than 1 hour, or focus at work - I would fall asleep - regardless of the amount of sleep I got at night. My CPAP helped, but still dozed off during the day. Since Nuvigal things are better, but still have some sleepiness if I have a rough week of less than 8 hours of sleep at night. Insurance pays most, but THANK YOU to the manufacturer who helps cover a portion, or else it would be costly."

Stevecase March 28, 2013

"I have suffered with severe OSAH syndrome for 15 years. I have undergone two surgeries to help "clear" my airway with very short-term positive effects. For years, I "slept" for at least nine hours a night and still napped for 2 - 4 hours every day. I awoke EVERY morning with my uvula so swollen it felt like I was swallowing it, and with a severely dry mouth and nagging headache. When I was awake, I was in a fog. CPAP helped, but I still had to nap during the day. 6 months ago my pulmonologist prescribed Nuvigil and my life changed. It is a miracle medication. I never go without my CPAP and I take 250 mg Nuvigil around 9am and I can now have a normal, productive day. In addition, as long as I am CPAP compliant, my insurance pays all but $5."

will123 February 12, 2013

"I have just started taking Nuvigil for a few days now. For the last few years I have been taking medicines to calm me down and ease my stress levels. I felt like I was a walking zombie most of the time when I was awake, but most of the time I just slept. I can't believe how amazing this medicine is, the cloudiness is gone I feel like Rip Van Winkle when he finally woke up. Wow!"

Anonymous January 24, 2013

"I have used a C-PAP for about 4 years. Before that I was on 2 liters of oxygen at night for 6 years. I always had some daytime sleepiness, but handled it with caffiene and more recently energy drinks. The sleepiness was getting worse and I was having microsleeps during the day. Lossing consciousnesses at work for a few seconds, waking and not knowing whether it was 3 seconds or 10 minutes. My sleep was good with C-Pap, I thought and the doctor read the chip from it and it said it was good too. I was prescribed 150mg Nuvigil. It was as if half of my circuit breakers were off and someone flipped them all back on. Startling to say the least. The first 2 days I had a low grade headache. Had to cut way back on coffee. Miracle!"

dlswen622 January 16, 2013

"I have sleep apnea and use the c-pap but still felt so tired and my mind did not work. My sleep Dr. prescribed Nuvigil 150 mg. It was and is a miracle pill. I have taken it for 11 months. I feel like a new person with so much more energy. I deal with diabetes type 2, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, acid reflux and depression. I am not over-weight and am the only one in my large family with these problems but Nuvigil has helped me to cope much better. I was worried about it becoming habit forming and having to take larger and larger doses. But I only take 1/2 tablet in the morning usually. If I am going to be busier than normal, sometimes, I take the other half at lunch. But not often. IT IS STILL MY MIRACLE PILL."

hawleyjess1953 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 21, 2012

"I am a 22 year old female college student. I take Pristiq antidepressant daily. I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea (runs in my family) and I sleep with a CPAP machine which helps, but I was still tired and felt cloudy and unable to focus during the day. I started taking Nuvigil and it has really helped. I am prescribed to 250mg but I take the half dose. When I first started taking Nuvigil, I had awful headaches and sometimes I felt jittery. Nuvigil kept me up at night for the first few weeks but my body adjusted. I take it around 8am. I feel alert and am able to focus better in school. I only get a headache if I skipped a few days and they are not as bad."

Collegegrl April 25, 2012

"This medicine has simply given me my life back."

Anonymous January 18, 2012

"First day on Nuvigil prescribed by a "second opinion" sleep doctor. My first sleep doctor kept discounting my complaints of constant sleepiness even after having the CPAP machine for over a year. He had never even talked about any medications for excessive sleepiness. But, my "second opinion" sleep doctor did pay attention. I can't thank him enough. My first day on Nuvigil has been like a sunrise. This is the first day in at least 6 years that I didn't fall asleep. No headaches, jitters, nausea. Started to feel the "wakefulness" easing off after about 6 hours. I agree about the cost, it's outrageous at over $10/day. I also take medicines for Atrial-fib, so Nuvigil is one of the few I can take."

Tack57 December 14, 2011

"Wow, I feel normal again. I had been living on 5 hours of sleep due to sleep apnea fears for years. I got tested and was given a CPAP machine. I felt great for about a month, then tired. I started sleeping 9 hours a day and drinking tons of coffee and soft drinks. Nothing helped. I went to my regular MD and all blood work was good. Was told to start working out. Problem was I was too tired. I went back to sleep. MD gave me Nuvigil. Like I said WOW. I did have a few rough days when I started talking the 250mg pills, but it was nice to stay awake and have a life. Side effects (headaches and dry mouth) are going away."

Jake in LA November 9, 2011

""This is the best medicine I've taken in 20 years." These are the words I told my doctor after taking Nuvigil. I had major depression, major allergy, irritable bowel syndrome and sleep apnea. You name the medicine, I took it, and it didn't work. So I didn't think this would either. I took one 150 mg in the morning and it gave me a headache but notice it stopped my IBS all day. So, I cut it in half the next day and it worked wonderfully for all my symptoms. It also helped my sex drive big time! Which was totally unexpected. It's the only medicine I need/take but it's expensive. "

FARADAY August 16, 2011

"Well I can't say enough about finally finding a doctor with enough compassion to even give this medicine to me. I had this disorder for over 3 years before I even was diagnosed. I had to finally demand a sleep study from my primary care as he always discounts everything I say to him. When I got the results back, we went over it, and I saw I stopped breathing 140 times per hour, I was livid. I had been on lyrica as well, and that too made me very sleepy, so I was falling asleep no matter where I was, driving, sitting in a public place, and especially at home. Then I found her, and told her what was happening, what my new diagnosis was and she just wrote out this prescription without question at all. It has given me a new life, and I don't sleep all the time"

nursedeborah August 7, 2011

"It's the best medicine I have ever taken besides my Nexium. I take 250 mg a day, I don't nap or get tired, not really any side effects that I can see. Besides, I'm bipolar, have ADHD and sleep apnea. I love it."

Sue14904 April 27, 2011

"I have sleep apnea and am a home-shcooling mom of 3. Today was my first day taking this medicine and I have made it through the whole day without somehow trying to make time to take a nap. It was actually a very productive day for me! I am so happy to maybe have finally found my miracle. I hope the progress continues and I will write again soon to update the progress. It is 6:30pm and I am still okay. Laundry is going, dishes are done and I am good."

bizimom February 3, 2011

"I have been using Nuvigil for 4 days now. I have horrible headaches! My eyes ache and feel like someone is pushing in on them and I want to close them and feel very tired, but not sleepy. I am irritable, but I think that is because I feel so horrible. My Doctor prescribed 150mg and said to cut them in half. I think I will try taking 1/4 of a tablet and see what happens. I am not sure if I can handle much more. I can't focus at work by late afternoon because my head hurts and my eyes are aching. Ibuprofen and Tylenol don't seem to help."

Tishb January 25, 2011

"Nuvigil was a blessing when I started it 18 months ago. I was alert and focused, not depressed, AND retained my creativity! I think I've become dependent upon it since I feel awful without it. This week the doctor wants me to try going to 250mg since I've been a bit down with shorter days and less focused. Due to cardiac conditions, amphetamines are not really a safe option. All said, at age 51, it's been pretty much a wonder drug treating multiple conditions."

AnonymousOne October 23, 2010

"Today was my first day on 150mg of Nuvigil. I took it at 7:00 am and it is now almost 11:00 PM. I am still speeding like crazy. I cannot sleep. Breathing is twice as heavy. It's weird that 15 hours after taking it -- I am still in panic mode. I was very much awake today but, rapid heart beat all day. Threw down a hot dog to try and suppress the speeding. Otherwise my mind went 100 mph. Definitely not sleepy a bit. Would like to eat, but just cannot do it. It feels like I'm on the Movie Speed where the bus has to go so fast. Hopefully tomorrow I will do better. I want to go to sleep so badly. I took 1mg of Xanax and Luvox; no help at all. "

Kel Hold October 12, 2010

"I am a 32 year old male and this is my second day on Nuvigil. Although I feel more alert at the start of the day, later in the day when the medicine wears off, oh boy does it wear off. I'm also feeling more hyper, moody, and an overall wanting to scream type feeling. I'm going to give it a few more days."

Anonymous August 6, 2010

"I started this medicine two days ago. It was working great. I was alert and my wife was enthused that I was able to have conversation with her. The second day my face got a rash and was swelling. I ended up in the ER. Truly upset because think it would have done great if weren't for side effects"

Anonymous August 1, 2010

"My first day on Nuvigil. I have not had this much energy in years and I'm only in my late 30s. Only side effects I've noticed so far are some very mild nausea. Just enough to suppress my appetite which is actually a good side effect. Had a mild headache this afternoon a couple of hours after taking the pill but cannot say that it was a result of the medication."

Anonymous June 29, 2010

"My sleep apnea doctor prescribed this for me as I still felt tired during the day. This has been a miracle drug. I have energy during the day, think clearly, and have noticed my memory recall is much better. (I am 51) The down side of this drug is that it is not covered by most insurance. Too bad... because I feel so much better and alert with this medication."

tami.wiethorn April 15, 2010