I have very low blood pressure and am on this medication. My doctor has reduced the dosage from 100 to 25 mg a day, but I am still light headed, and my blood pressure upon standing after sitting is very low
15 Jul 2011
The half life of Metoprolol is between 3 and 7 hours. This is the time it takes for the drug levels in your plasma to reduce by half.
For a drug to be totally eliminated from your system it takes around 5.5 times the half life.
As an estimate then, after taking a dose of Metoprolol it should be out of your system within 16.5 to 38.5 hours.
However other factors to consider include:
1. How much and how often you have taken the drug.
2. Your metabolic rate – a slower metabolism will increase the time a drug remains in your system.
3. Your age and health – older age and poor health will generally increase the time the drug stays in your system.
4. Body mass – generally the bigger you are the longer a drug will remain in your system.
You should see your doctor if your symptoms do not go away.
- Metoprolol Information for Consumers
- Metoprolol Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Metoprolol (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
I stopped taking it three days ago, but I am still getting tired after a short walk. I do have more energy than I did while taking the drug, but ...
1 answer • 18 May 2013
Taking 1mg of Alprazolam 1mg at 7am and 25 mg of Metoprolol ER at 9am. Then same dosage at 7pm and 9pm, for elevated Blood pressure.
1 answer • 29 Mar 2015
... because I was having PVC's. A couple time this week my blood pressure has been 88/55 when my blood pressure is that low should I still take ...
2 answers • 9 May 2015
My blood pressure, I was told, is only a little over. It never goes down though. It's always at pre-hypertension and it randomly showed up. I am ...
4 answers • 1 Oct 2015
My bp med is metoprolol tartrates 50 mg. I take it 2 times a day. One in the morning and one after dinner. The doses were less than 6 hours apart. Do ...
1 answer • 15 Dec 2015