I have very low blood pressure and am on this medication. My doctor has reduced the dosage from 100 to 25 mg a day, but I am still light headed, and my blood pressure upon standing after sitting is very low
15 Jul 2011
The half life of Metoprolol is between 3 and 7 hours. This is the time it takes for the drug levels in your plasma to reduce by half.
For a drug to be totally eliminated from your system it takes around 5.5 times the half life.
As an estimate then, after taking a dose of Metoprolol it should be out of your system within 16.5 to 38.5 hours.
However other factors to consider include:
1. How much and how often you have taken the drug.
2. Your metabolic rate – a slower metabolism will increase the time a drug remains in your system.
3. Your age and health – older age and poor health will generally increase the time the drug stays in your system.
4. Body mass – generally the bigger you are the longer a drug will remain in your system.
You should see your doctor if your symptoms do not go away.
- Metoprolol Information for Consumers
- Metoprolol Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Metoprolol (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
My father was being treated for HBP for a couple years and has had his medication switched a few times. I know that he was on metoprolol once before ...
6 answers • 21 Feb 2012
Taking 1mg of Alprazolam 1mg at 7am and 25 mg of Metoprolol ER at 9am. Then same dosage at 7pm and 9pm, for elevated Blood pressure.
1 answer • 29 Mar 2015
... because I was having PVC's. A couple time this week my blood pressure has been 88/55 when my blood pressure is that low should I still take ...
2 answers • 9 May 2015
When changing from Metoprolol succinate, 25 mg. daily, to metoprolol tartrate, what dose is correct?
I take this for blood pressure and have had no problems but understand that the tartrate is cheaper.
3 answers • 18 Jun 2015
And how long it last to next dosage
1 answer • 26 Sep 2015