Rispens CVI 988 (Canada)This page contains information on Rispens CVI 988 for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Rispens CVI 988 Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Rispens CVI 988
- Direction and dosage information for Rispens CVI 988
Rispens CVI 988This treatment applies to the following species:
Marek’s Disease Vaccine
Serotype 1, Live Virus
Rispens CVI 988 Indications
This vaccine contains the Rispens CVI 988 strain of chicken herpesvirus. This product is used as an aid in the prevention of very virulent Marek’s disease in chickens. The product consists of one ampule of vaccine and a container of diluent. Two hundred (200) mL of diluent is furnished for each 1,000 doses of vaccine. This vaccine is recommended for subcutaneous vaccination of healthy one-day-old chickens. It is essential that the chickens be maintained under good environmental conditions and that exposure to disease viruses be reduced as much as possible.
READ DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY
Give subcutaneously only.
Administer only as recommended.
Use entire contents when first opened.
Do not vaccinate within 21 days before slaughter.
Penicillin and streptomycin sulfate are added as bacteriostatic agents.
Contains amphotericin B as a fungistatic agent.
Burn this container and all unused contents.
AMPULES: Store in liquid nitrogen container.
DILUENT: Store at room temperature.
LIQUID NITROGEN CONTAINER: Carefully observe all liquid nitrogen precautions including wearing eye protection and gloves. Store in a cool, well-ventilated area. Check liquid nitrogen level daily. Keep container away from incubator intakes and chicken boxes. CAUTION: DO NOT HOLD AMPULE TOWARD FACE WHEN REMOVING FROM A LIQUID NITROGEN CONTAINER. NEVER REFREEZE A VACCINE AMPULE AFTER THAWING.
PREPARATION OF VACCINE
1. Dilute the vaccine only as directed, observing all precautions and warnings for handling.
2. Remove from the liquid nitrogen only the ampules that are going to be used immediately. Move quickly, but carefully.
3. Place the ampule(s) in a large, clean container of water at 20° to 30°C (68° to 86°F) to thaw ampule quickly. Thaw the entire contents. Gently swirl the ampule to disperse contents. Break ampule at its neck and quickly proceed as described below.
4. Use 200 mL of sterile diluent for each 1,000 doses of vaccine to be injected subcutaneously. Remove the cover from the diluent container. Draw contents of the ampule into a sterile 10 mL syringe fitted with an 18 to 20 gauge needle. Slowly add the contents of the vaccine ampule to the appropriate volume of diluent. Withdraw a small amount of the diluent, rinse the ampule once and add this to the vaccine-diluent mixture. Mix the contents of the diluent container thoroughly by swirling and inverting the container. Do not shake vigorously.
5. Keep the container of diluted vaccine in an ice bath. Use the vaccine-diluent mixture immediately. Agitate as needed to ensure a uniform suspension of the cells.
Use Of Vaccine For Subcutaneous Injection
IMPORTANT: Sterilize vaccinating equipment by autoclaving a minimum of 15 minutes at 121°C (250°F) or boiling in water for at least 20 minutes. Never allow chemical disinfectants to come in contact with vaccinating equipment.
1. Use a sterile automatic syringe with a 20 to 22 gauge 3/8” to 1/2” needle that is set to accurately deliver 0.2 mL per dose. Check the accuracy of delivery several times during the vaccination procedure.
2. Inject chickens under the loose skin at the back of the neck (subcutaneously), holding the chicken by the back of the neck just below the head. The loose skin in this area is raised by gently pinching with the thumb and forefinger. Insert the needle beneath the skin in a direction away from the head. Inject 0.2 mL per chicken. Avoid hitting the muscles and bones in the neck.
3. Use the entire contents of the vaccine container within one hour after mixing the vaccine with the diluent.
Directions For Addition Of Blue Dye To Sterile Diluent
Blue dye may be aseptically added to sterile diluent using the following procedures:
1. Dye mixing chart:
Bag/bottle diluent size
Blue Dye to be added
2. Swab top of rubber stoppers on dye vial and diluent container with alcohol; let dry.
3. Using a sterile syringe and needle, withdraw the contents of the vial.
4. Inject dye into diluent container and mix well.
5. Only Merial’s Marek’s disease vaccines may be used with this diluent. Add vaccine according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
6. Properly dispose of the dye container and any unused contents at the end of the day.
Liquid Nitrogen Precautions
The liquid nitrogen containers and vaccines should be handled only by properly trained personnel. These persons should be familiar with the Union Carbide publication “Precautions and Safe Practices - Liquid Atmospheric Gasses”, form #9888.
Liquid nitrogen is extremely cold. Accidental contact with skin or eyes can cause serious frostbite. Protect eyes with goggles or face shield. Wear gloves and long sleeves when removing and handling frozen ampules or when adding liquid nitrogen to the container.
Storage and handling of liquid nitrogen containers should be in a well-ventilated area. Excessive amounts of nitrogen reduce the concentration of oxygen in the air of an unventilated space and can cause asphyxiation. If drowsiness occurs, get fresh air quickly and ventilate the entire area. If a person becomes groggy or loses consciousness while working with liquid nitrogen, get the person to a well-ventilated area immediately. If breathing has stopped, begin artificial respiration. Call a physician immediately.
Do not vaccinate diseased birds.
Vaccinate all birds on the premises at one time.
Administer a full dose to each bird.
Avoid stress conditions during and following vaccination.
Do not place chickens in contaminated facilities.
Exposure to disease must be minimized as much as possible.
For veterinary use only.
Merial’s vaccines have met the requirement of the USDA/CFIA in regard to safety, purity, and potency. This vaccine has been tested by the master seed immunogenicity test for efficacy.
Rispens CVI 988 Caution
The capability of this vaccine to produce satisfactory results depends upon many factors including - but not limited to - conditions of storage and handling by the user, administration of the vaccine, health and responsiveness of individual chickens and degree of field exposure. Therefore, directions for use should be followed carefully. The use of this vaccine is subject to applicable local laws and regulations.
THIS VACCINE IS NON-RETURNABLE
MERIAL, INC., Athens, GA 30601 USA
U.S. Vet. Lic. No. 298
Product Codes MREF-0515 and MREF-0575
Presentation: Available in 1,000 and 2,000 doses.
5180 SOUTH SERVICE ROAD, BURLINGTON, ON, L7L 5H4
|Customer Care No.:||1-800-567-1885|
|Technical Services No.:||1-877-565-5501|
Copyright © 2023 Animalytix LLC. Updated: 2023-02-28