Step 4: Read and complete the decision guide to learn more about your symptoms.
Insomnia During Pregnancy
You have identified something in your daily pattern or sleep environment as a possible source of your insomnia. Here are suggestions that may help:
- Maintain a regular bedtime.
- Avoid going to bed hungry.
- Establish an active daytime lifestyle that allows you to go to bed ready for rest. For most people, it helps to complete any vigorous exercise four or five hours before your bedtime.
- Reduce the mental stimulation that you experience after you have put yourself to bed. This means discontinuing bedtime television, reading, and conversation.
- Reduce noise stimulation within your bedroom. This may require the use of a device that can drown out interesting noises with a monotonous sound, such as a fan or a radio that is tuned to static between stations.
- Find the temperature that's right for you.
- Practice slow, deep breathing to help you relax.