Dibasic Calcium Phosphate
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Various calcium phosphates are used as diluents in the pharmaceutical industry. Diluents are added to pharmaceutical tablets or capsules to make the product large enough for swallowing and handling, and more stable.
Some calcium phosphate salts can be anhydrous, meaning the water has been removed from the salt form. Other calcium phosphates are termed dibasic, meaning they have two replaceable hydrogen atoms.
There is no evidence in the available information on calcium phopshate that demonstrates or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 03/24/2012
Top Medications with this excipient
- Amlodipine Besylate 2.5 mg (Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories, Ltd.)
- Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg (Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories, Ltd.)
- Atarax 25 mg (Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceuticals Group)
- Bisoprolol Fumarate and Hydrochlorothiazide 10 mg / 6.25 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Glyburide 1.25 mg (Greenstone Limited)
- Hydrochlorothiazide and Lisinopril 12.5 mg / 10 mg (Actavis Elizabeth, LLC)
- Lisinopril 20 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Lisinopril 30 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Lisinopril 40 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Meperidine Hydrochloride 50 mg (Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals)
- Meperidine Hydrochloride 100 mg (Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals)
- Pyrazinamide 500 mg (Mikart, Inc.)
- Quinapril Hydrochloride 5 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Quinapril Hydrochloride 10 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Quinapril Hydrochloride 20 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Renese 1 mg (Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceuticals Group)
- Renese 4 mg (Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceuticals Group)
- Sertraline Hydrochloride 25 mg (Genpharm Inc.)
- Sertraline Hydrochloride 50 mg (Genpharm Inc.)
- Sertraline Hydrochloride 100 mg (Genpharm Inc.)