Hyoscyamine FDA Alerts
The FDA Alerts below may be specifically about hyoscyamine or relate to a group or class of drugs which include hyoscyamine.
MedWatch Safety Alerts are distributed by the FDA and published by Drugs.com. Following is a list of possible medication recalls, market withdrawals, alerts and warnings.
Recent FDA Alerts for hyoscyamine
Hyoscyamine sulfate 0.125mg by Virtus Pharmaceuticals: Recall - Superpotent and Subpotent Test Results
ISSUE: Virtus Pharmaceuticals Opco II, LLC (Virtus) is voluntarily recalling seven batches of Hyoscyamine sulfate (0.125mg) to the consumer level which include the tablet, sublingual, and orally disintegrating tablet form. This recall is being initiated due to both superpotent and subpotent test results. All of these batches were manufactured by Pharmatech LLC for distribution by Virtus throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. See the press release for a listing of affected batch numbers.
Taking a product that is superpotent could result in hot/dry skin, fever, blurred vision, sensitivity to light, dry mouth, unusual excitement, fast or irregular heartbeat, dizziness, an inability to completely empty the bladder, and seizures. The severity of the adverse event would depend on how superpotent the tablet was. Adverse events such as clotted blood within the tissues and fractures could occur, as a result of falls from dizziness or seizures if the strength is particularly high. To date, Virtus has received three adverse event reports involving hallucinations, stroke-like symptoms, confusion, dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, slurred speech, imbalance, and disorientation.
BACKGROUND: Hyoscyamine sulfate is an anticholinergic agent which blocks the action of acetylcholine and is used to treat diseases like asthma, incontinence, stomach cramps, peptic ulcers, control gastric secretion, intestinal spasm and other bowel disturbances. These products were distributed Nationwide in the U.S. and Puerto Rico starting on March 11, 2016, to distributors, hospitals, and retail pharmacies.
RECOMMENDATION: Virtus is notifying its distributors and retailers by letter and email and is arranging for return of all recalled drug product. Consumers, distributors, and retailers that have the hyoscyamine sulfate product lots listed above should stop using/distributing and return to place of purchase.
Healthcare professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:
- Complete and submit the report Online: www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/index.cfm
- Download form or call 1-800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the pre-addressed form, or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178
[09/14/2016 - Press Release - Virtus Pharmaceuticals]
More hyoscyamine Resources
- Hyoscyamine Consumer Information
- Hyoscyamine AHFS DI Monograph
- Hyoscyamine Sulfate Elixir Prescribing Information
- Hyoscyamine Sulfate Extended-Release Tablets Prescribing Information
- Hyoscyamine Sulfate Oral Drops Prescribing Information
- Hyoscyamine Sulfate Orally Disintegrating Tablet Prescribing Information
- Hyoscyamine Sulfate Sublingual Tablet Prescribing Information
- Hyoscyamine Sulfate Tablet Prescribing Information
- Levbid ER Tablets Prescribing Information
- Hyoscyamine A-Z Drug Facts