Last Updated: December 11, 2020
- HRA Pharma had Ella on shortage due to manufacturing delays.
- Ella tablet, HRA Pharma, 30 mg, single-dose packet, NDC 73302-0456-01
Estimated Resupply Dates
- HRA Pharma has Ella available.
Alternative Agents & Management
- The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) clinical guidance for emergency contraception is available at: https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/practice-bulletin/articles/2015/09/emergency-contraception
- Princeton has a list of specific emergency contraceptive products that was last updated at the end of August 2020. This list is available at https://ec.princeton.edu/questions/dose.html#dose
- The copper intrauterine device is the most effective form of contraception per ACOG but requires an office visit to a provider and may not be desired or practical for some patients.
Table 1. Oral Emergency Contraceptives (information from ACOG and Princeton) Oral Emergency Contraceptive (EC) Active Ingredient FDA Approved for EC Second Dose Needed Selective progesterone receptor modulator Ulipristal acetate Yes No Progestin only Levonorgestrel Yes No Combined progestin/estrogen Levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol No Yes
Updated December 11, 2020 by Michelle Wheeler, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Created September 15, 2020 by Michelle Wheeler, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. © 2020, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.