Prothrombin Complex Concentrate (Kcentra)
Last Updated: July 6, 2018
- Kcentra, CSL Behring, 1000 unit vial, 1 kit, NDC 63833-0387-02
- Kcentra, CSL Behring, 500 unit vial, 1 kit, NDC 63833-0386-02
- CSL Behring had short-term delays in product releases.
- There is insufficient supply for usual ordering
Estimated Resupply Dates
- CSL Behring is releasing Kcentra weekly.
- CSL Behring recalled some Kcentra 1000 unit vials due to potential for breaking during transportation. The affected lots include M9560111E, N1260111A, and N1360111A.
Alternative Agents & Management
- Reserve supplies of Kcentra for patients on warfarin with life-threatening bleeding. Consider fixed dosing of KCentra to conserve supply.
- Consider FEIBA (activated 4-PCC) as a potential alternative to Kcentra.
- Fresh frozen plasma is an alternative, but there is concern of circulatory overload.
- Supportive care and control of bleeding should always be first line.
- CSL Behring (personal communication). June 25, 2018.
- Tomaselli GF, Mahaffey KW, Cuker A, et al. 2017 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway on Management of Bleeding in Patients on Oral Anticoagulants. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017; Epub Ahead of Print.
- Stewart WS, Pettit H. Experiences with an activated 4-factor prothrombin complex concentrate (FEIBA) for reversal of warfarin related bleeding. Am J Emerg Med 2013; 1251-1254
Updated July 6, 2018 by Michelle Wheeler, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Created March 2, 2018 by Michelle Wheeler, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Copyright 2018, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.