Poliovirus Vaccine Inactivated
Last Updated: January 9, 2017
- Sanofi Pasteur had IPOL vaccine on allocation due to the shortage of other combination vaccines (e.g., Pentacel).[1,2]
- IPOL, Sanofi Pasteur, 5 mL multiple dose vial, 1 count, NDC 49281-0860-10
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Sanofi Pasteur has IPOL vaccine available.
Implications for Patient Care
- IPOL is labeled for primary immunization against infection with poliovirus Types 1, 2, and 3 in persons ages 6 weeks and older.
- Ensure patients receive the adequate number of vaccinations as outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Recommended Immunization Schedules.[4,5]
Alternative Agents & Management
- The CDC has a guidance document available for clinicians during the shortage of the Pentacel vaccine and the implications with other vaccines like inactivated poliovirus vaccine. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/shortages/downloads/pentacel-delay.pdf.
- Sanofi Pasteur (personal communications). February 1 and 10, March 22, April 26, June 16, August 10, October 11, December 5, 2016; and January 9, 2017.
- Sanofi Pasteur. Dear Health Care Provider Letter (December 2015). Available at: https://www.vaccineshoppe.com/mailing/VSH/2015/12allo30341/index.html. Accessed February 10, 2016.
- Sanofi Pasteur. IPOL Poliovirus Vaccine Inactivated [product labeling]. Swiftwater, PA: Sanofi Pasteur; 2015.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). General Recommendations on Immunization, Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practice. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011 Jan 28;60(RR02):1-60. Available online at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/rr/rr6002.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2016.
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Recommended Immunization Schedule for Persons Ages 0 to 18 Years, United States 2015. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/child/0-18yrs-child-combined-schedule.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2016.
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidance for vaccinating children during the 2015-16 Pentacel manufacturing delay. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/shortages/downloads/pentacel-delay.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2016.
Updated January 9, 2017 by Leslie Jensen, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Created February 10, 2016 by Jane Chandramouli, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Copyright 2017, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.