Penicillin G Benzathine
Last Updated: December 18, 2017
- Pfizer states the shortage was due to a delay in the manufacturing process.
- Bicillin L-A intramuscular suspension for injection, Pfizer, 1,200,000 units, 2 mL syringe, 10 count, NDC 60793-0701-10
- Bicillin L-A intramuscular suspension for injection, Pfizer, 2,400,000 units, 4 mL syringe, 10 count, NDC 60793-0702-10
- Bicillin L-A intramuscular suspension for injection, Pfizer, 600,000 units, 1 mL syringe, 10 count, NDC 60793-0700-10
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Pfizer has Bicillin L-A 600,000 unit/ 1 mL syringes, 1,200,000 unit/ 2 mL syringes, and 2,400,000 unit/ 4 mL syringes available.
Implications for Patient Care
- Bicillin L-A is the first line treatment of patients with syphilis. CDC is recommending conserving Bicillin L-A for patients with syphilis especially pregnant patients where the treatment choices are more limited. This recommendation can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/drugnotices/bicillinshortage.htm. More information regarding treatment of syphilis including alternatives to Bicillin L-A can be found at: http://www.cdc.gov/std/tg2015/syphilis.htm.
Updated December 18, 2017 by Michelle Wheeler, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Created March 30, 2016 by Leslie Jensen, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Copyright 2017, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.