Multiple Vitamins for Infusion
Last Updated: November 14, 2018
- Multivitamin for infusion (MVI) Adult, Pfizer, MVI Adult, 2 x 5 mL Dual vial, 1 count, NDC 61703-0434-82
- Multivitamin for infusion (MVI) Adult, Pfizer, MVI Adult, 2 x 50 mL Dual vial, 10 count, NDC 61703-0422-83
- Multivitamin for infusion (MVI) Pediatric lyophilized powder for solution for injection, Pfizer, MVI Pediatric, 5 mL vial, 10 count, NDC 61703-0421-53
- Pfizer states the shortage is due to manufacturing delays.
- Baxter has all presentations fully available at this time.
- Infuvite injection, Baxter, Adult, 2 x 5 mL single dose vial, 100 count, NDC 54643-5649-01
- Infuvite injection, Baxter, Adult, 2 x 50 mL bulk vial, 10 count, NDC 54643-5650-02
- Infuvite injection, Baxter, Pediatric, 5 mL single dose vial, 100 count, NDC 54643-5646-01
- Infuvite injection, Baxter, Pediatric, 50 mL bulk vial, 1 count, NDC 54643-5647-00
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Pfizer has M.V.I. Adult 2 X 5 mL Dual vials on back order with an estimated release date of December 2018. The M.V.I. Adult 2 X 50 mL vials and Pediatric 5 mL vials are on back order and the company estimates a release date of 4th quarter 2019. There is limited short-dated product available for all 3 presentations.
Alternative Agents & Management
- The American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN) has detailed recommendations for managing an intravenous multivitamin shortage in adults and pediatric patients, http://www.nutritioncare.org/lcontent.aspx?id=5346.
- Key recommendations include:
- Use oral or enteral multivitamin preparations whenever possible.
- Use of pediatric intravenous multivitamins for adults is not recommended and may result in a shortage of pediatric products.
- Use of multivitamin preparations without vitamin K is fine with individual supplementation of Vitamin K products. Ensure patients receiving vitamin K are getting adequate anticoagulation if they are on warfarin.
- Reserve intravenous multivitamins for patients receiving parenteral nutrition.
- Reserve pediatric intravenous multivitamins for children less than 2.5 kg or less than 36 weeks gestational age.
- When all supply options are exhausted, ration intravenous multivitamins in parenteral nutrition or administer individual parenteral vitamins.
- Purchase only the supply needed, do not stockpile.
Updated November 14, 2018 by Michelle Wheeler, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Created June 23, 2008 by Jane Chandramouli, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Copyright 2018, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.