Multiple Vitamins for Infusion
Last Updated: March 21, 2019
- Multivitamin for infusion (MVI) Adult, Pfizer, MVI Adult, 2 x 5 mL Dual vial, 1 count, NDC 61703-0434-82
- Multivitamin for infusion (MVI) Adult, Pfizer, MVI Adult, 2 x 50 mL Dual vial, 10 count, NDC 61703-0422-83
- Multivitamin for infusion (MVI) Pediatric lyophilized powder for solution for injection, Pfizer, MVI Pediatric, 5 mL vial, 10 count, NDC 61703-0421-53
- Pfizer states the shortage is due to manufacturing delays.
- Baxter has all presentations fully available at this time.
- Infuvite injection, Baxter, Adult, 2 x 5 mL single dose vial, 100 count, NDC 54643-5649-01
- Infuvite injection, Baxter, Adult, 2 x 50 mL bulk vial, 10 count, NDC 54643-5650-02
- Infuvite injection, Baxter, Pediatric, 5 mL single dose vial, 100 count, NDC 54643-5646-01
- Infuvite injection, Baxter, Pediatric, 50 mL bulk vial, 1 count, NDC 54643-5647-00
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Pfizer has M.V.I. Adult 2 X 5 mL Dual vials, M.V.I. Adult 2 X 50 mL vials, and Pediatric 5 mL vials on back order and the company estimates a release date of December 2019. There is limited short-dated product available for the 50 mL adult vials and 5 mL pediatric vials.
Alternative Agents & Management
- The American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN) has detailed recommendations for managing an intravenous multivitamin shortage in adults and pediatric patients, http://www.nutritioncare.org/lcontent.aspx?id=5346.
- Key recommendations include:
- Use oral or enteral multivitamin preparations whenever possible.
- Use of pediatric intravenous multivitamins for adults is not recommended and may result in a shortage of pediatric products.
- Use of multivitamin preparations without vitamin K is fine with individual supplementation of Vitamin K products. Ensure patients receiving vitamin K are getting adequate anticoagulation if they are on warfarin.
- Reserve intravenous multivitamins for patients receiving parenteral nutrition.
- Reserve pediatric intravenous multivitamins for children less than 2.5 kg or less than 36 weeks gestational age.
- When all supply options are exhausted, ration intravenous multivitamins in parenteral nutrition or administer individual parenteral vitamins.
- Purchase only the supply needed, do not stockpile.
Updated March 21, 2019 by Leslie Jensen, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Created June 23, 2008 by Jane Chandramouli, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. © 2019, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.