Daptacel - Diphtheria, Tetanus Toxoid, and Acellular Pertussis Vaccine (Dtap)
Last Updated: December 19, 2016
- Sanofi Pasteur had Daptacel in short supply due to the shortage of other combination vaccines (eg, Pentacel).[1,2]
- GlaxoSmithKline has Infanrix available.
- Daptacel vaccine, Sanofi Pasteur, 0.5 mL, single dose vial, 10 count, NDC 49281-0286-10
- Infanrix vaccine, GlaxoSmithKline Vaccines, 0.5 mL, single dose vial, 10 count, NDC 58160-0810-11
- Infanrix vaccine, GlaxoSmithKline Vaccines, 0.5 mL, syringe, 10 count, NDC 58160-0810-52
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Sanofi Pasteur has Daptacel vaccine readily available.
Implications for Patient Care
- Daptacel is labeled for active immunization against tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (DTaP) as a 5-dose series in pediatric patients ages 6 weeks to 6 years old.
- Ensure patients receive the adequate number of vaccinations as outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Recommended Immunization Schedules.[5,6]
Alternative Agents & Management
- The CDC has a guidance document available for clinicians during the shortage of Pentacel vaccine. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/shortages/downloads/pentacel-delay.pdf.
- Sanofi Pasteur (personal communications). January 14, February 3 and 17, March 22, April 26, June 16, July 20, September 6, October 17, November 17, and December 19, 2016.
- Sanofi Pasteur. Dear Health Care Provider Letter (December 2015). Available at: https://www.vaccineshoppe.com/mailing/VSH/2015/12allo30341/index.html. Accessed January 14, 2016.
- GlaxoSmithKline (personal communications). January 14, February 3 and 17, and March 22, 2016.
- Sanofi Pasteur. Daptacel (Diphtheria and Tetanus Toxoids and Acellular Pertussis Adsorbed) Suspension for Intramuscular Injection [product labeling]. Swiftwater, PA: Sanofi Pasteur; 2013.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). General Recommendations on Immunization, Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practice. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011 Jan 28;60(RR02):1-60. Available online at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/rr/rr6002.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2016.
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Recommended Immunization Schedule for Persons Ages 0 to 18 Years, United States 2015. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/child/0-18yrs-child-combined-schedule.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2016.
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidance for vaccinating children during the 2015-16 Pentacel manufacturing delay. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/shortages/downloads/pentacel-delay.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2016.
Updated December 19, 2016 by Leslie Jensen, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Created February 17, 2016 by Jane Chandramouli, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Copyright 2017, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.