Chlorothiazide Oral Suspension Shortage
Last Updated: January 5, 2017
- Valeant could not provide a reason for the shortage.
- Diuril oral suspension, Valeant, 250 mg / 5 mL 237 mL bottle, NDC 65649-0311-12
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Valeant has Diuril oral suspension available.
Implications for Patient Care
- Chlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic frequently used in pediatric patients to manage hypertension or for diuresis.
- Extemporaneously compounded chlorothiazide suspension may be a potential alternative during this shortage. Ensure appropriate compounding technique.
Alternative Agents & Management
- Two publications are available outlining methods for compounding chlorothiazide 50 mg/mL oral suspension.[3,4]
- Valeant. Customer Service (personal communications). May 8, June 8, August 10, September 8, October 29, November 16 and 24, December 22, 2015; January 14, February 5, September 13, October 17, December 7, 2016; and January 4, 2017.
- McEvoy GK, Snow EK, Kester L, Litvak K, Miller J, Welsh OH, eds. AHFS DI (Lexi-Comp Online). Bethesda, MD: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists; 2015.
- Allen et al. Chlorothiazide 50 mg/mL oral suspension. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding. 2014;18(4):326.
- Chlorothiazide. In: Nahata MC, Pai VB, eds. Pediatric Drug Formulations, 6th edition. Cincinnati, OH: Harvey Whitney Books Company; 2011.
Updated January 5, 2017 by Michelle Wheeler, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Created November 7, 2014 by Jane Chandramouli, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Copyright 2017, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.