Drug interactions between bcg vaccine and sarilumab
Interactions between your drugs
sarilumab BCG vaccine
Applies to: sarilumab and bcg vaccine
Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.
CONTRAINDICATED: The administration of live, attenuated viral or bacterial vaccines during immunosuppressant or intense antineoplastic therapy may be associated with a risk of disseminated infection due to enhanced replication of vaccine virus or bacteria in the presence of diminished immune competence. Patients may be immunosuppressed if they have recently received or are receiving alkylating agents, antimetabolites, radiation, some antirheumatic agents, high dosages of corticosteroids or adrenocorticotropic agents (e.g., greater than 10 mg/day or 1 mg/kg/day of prednisone or equivalent for more than 2 weeks), or long-term topical or inhaled corticosteroids. These patients may also have increased adverse reactions and decreased or suboptimal immunologic response to vaccines.
MANAGEMENT: In general, live attenuated vaccines should not be used in patients receiving immunosuppressive therapy or cancer chemotherapy. Vaccination should be deferred until after such therapy is discontinued and immune function has been restored, usually 4 to 12 weeks after stopping immunosuppressive therapy. A longer waiting period may be necessary following treatment with agents that have a prolonged elimination half-life (e.g., leflunomide, teriflunomide). Current local immunization guidelines should be consulted for recommendations. In patients who have recently been vaccinated, such therapy should not be initiated for at least 2 weeks (may be longer in some cases; refer to individual product labeling). Vaccines may generally be administered to patients receiving corticosteroids as replacement therapy (e.g., for Addison's disease).
- Fauci AS, Braunwald E, Isselbacher KJ, Wilson JD, Martin JB, Kasper DL, Hauser SL, Longo DL, eds. "Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 14th ed." New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Health Professionals Division (1998):
- "Product Information. YF-Vax (yellow fever vaccine)." sanofi pasteur, Swiftwater, PA.
- Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
- "Product Information. M-M-R II (measles/mumps/rubella virus vaccine)." Merck & Company Inc, West Point, PA.
- Charkoudian LD, Kaiser GM, Steinmetz RL, Srivastava SK "Acute retinal necrosis after herpes zoster vaccination." Arch Ophthalmol 129 (2011): 1495-7
- "Product Information. Attenuvax (measles virus vaccine, live, attenuated)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
- CDC. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/ "Recommendations of the advisory committtee on immunization practices (ACIP): use of vaccines and immune globulins in persons with altered immunocompetence." MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 42(RR-04) (1993): 1-18
- Kriner P, Lopez K, Leung J, Harpaz R, Bialek SR "Notes from the field: varicella-associated death of a vaccinated child with leukemia - California, 2012." MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 63 (2014): 161
- "Product Information. Meruvax II (rubella virus vaccine, live)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
Drug and food interactions
No results found in our database - however, this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult with your doctor or pharmacist.
Therapeutic duplication warnings
No warnings were found for your selected drugs.
Therapeutic duplication warnings are only returned when drugs within the same group exceed the recommended therapeutic duplication maximum.
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No interaction information available.|
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.