User Reviews for Amitriptyline/perphenazine

Amitriptyline/perphenazine has an average rating of 8.8 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings on Drugs.com. 80% of those users who reviewed Amitriptyline/perphenazine reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
9.7
Agitation
Depression
Summary of Amitriptyline/perphenazine reviews 8.8 10 reviews

reza September 26, 2020

For Agitation: “my doctor prescribed various medicines for treatment of my agitation including benzodiazepines and SSRIs but the only medicine that was good for me was amitriptyline/perphenazine.”

turtle518 February 28, 2020

Triavil (amitriptyline / perphenazine) for Anxiety: “Back in the late 60's, I had been having bouts of diarrhea and went to a doctor in South Texas where I brought my previous medical records. After looking at my records, my new doctor said that I had not been having many bouts of 'Stomach Flu' as I had thought, He prescribed Triavil two tablets -25 and I took them. When I went back for a follow-up, the Dr. said that I had been living on 'nervous energy' for so long that this is why I needed this medicine. After the three days, I started living more normally and sleeping normally (8 hrs.). I stayed on the meds for a few months and from that time on I realized my problem and was able to adjust my living for the unexpected stresses in life and a few times I did use Triavil a few times. It's a wonderful drug and helped me from a lifetime of suffering needlessly. I would recommend this drug to anyone suffering from intestinal problems. At least talk to your doctor about the possible need.”

nursetexas January 28, 2020

For Agitation: “Elavil does not kick in fast enough for acute aggression. For long term there are many other meds that are more predictable and act faster when acute agitation does occur. I have been a psych nurse for 25 years. I have seen Elavil most prevalent when used for diabetic neuropathy which was the standard back in the 90's.”

Damien6 October 30, 2011

Triavil (amitriptyline / perphenazine) for Anxiety: “When I was in my early 20s I was having a great deal of anxiety and depression. This caused me to have physical problems as well such as GI problems and headaches and even some insomnia. My M.D. prescribed Triavil 4mg Trilafon / 10mg Elavil. This was many years ago and I remember that it had a very quick effect on me. Anxiety gone in one day and depression was almost totally eliminated in 4 weeks. I realize now that this is an older antidepressant/antianxiety medication but I believe it is much under prescribed as it helps not only with the emotional problems but helps with pain and sleep. It is somewhat sedating but one can take bigger doses at night and sleep very well. ”

a Hairstylist April 2, 2015

Triavil (amitriptyline / perphenazine) for Anxiety: “I was going through a divorce, a miscarriage and loss of an important job plus career change. I was breaking down physically as well as mentally and was hospitalized for testing and observation by a cardiologist who diagnosed me with hypothyroidism and prescribed Triavil for me. IT WAS AMAZINGLY my lifechanger! IN just DAYS (less than 1 week) I was an entirely NEW woman whose issues were "healed" by my healed brain and ability to "handle" all my life's issues fearlessly in stride...thanks to my clear thinking triavil assisted body. This older medication is far too under prescribed and had only 1 adverse side affect which was I was so happy my appetite was voracious and I put on weight which I lost after a year. I Highly recommended TRIAVI”

Anonymous September 14, 2009

Etrafon (amitriptyline / perphenazine) for Anxiety: “I used this medication for 14 years with great success and few side effects. Constipation and restless legs the worst of these. After 14 years I did begin to have some problems with blank spots while I was talking. Upon discontinuation, this went away. I was on this medication 4 times a day.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more June 4, 2012

For Anxiety: “This medicine saved my life when I was 17 years old and so agoraphobic, with panic attacks multiple times a day. This was back in 1969, and within 6 weeks, I began to go out and go to college and do all the things a normal person does. I used it for many years, though with a lessened dosage. It seems especially good for anxiety attacks. While they did not entirely go away, seemed to lessen them to the extent that they were a minor occasional nuisance rather than something that prevented me from living a normal life and leaving the house. Yes, psychotherapy also helped, but before this medicine, I had been in therapy for three years and the anxiety/panic only got worse. Of course, this is just one person's experience.”

Ivanisgreat · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 21, 2018

For Anxiety: “The perphenazine works wonders for my paranoia and delusions. Amitritpyline works great for anxiety and irritability. But I’m having problems with my memory and concentration. Anyone know how to fix this?”

Nana6 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 20, 2018

For Anxiety: “I suffered with a migraine for 3 weeks straight and had all kinds of tests done. Nothing helped or worked until I went to a doctor that prescribed Triavil. Finally got relief, that was years ago and I’ll remember this name forever.”

Twin · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 12, 2019

“I’ve had severe insomnia for many, many years & have been unable to stay asleep for more than an hour or two.. Nothing helped until I tried Amtriptyline. Prescribed 150mg but had to be able to sleep within 2hrs to avoid the restless legs that would develop. I have realized that the total mental fog that I suffered from all day was due to the huge dose I was taking and ultimately I cut my dose in half-I’m still sleeping, also can think clearer with this dose.. I no longer lose my thoughts in mid sentence, fumble words when speaking & appear sedated or dumb. (Side note, my insurance stopped covering it so now a $5/mo me now costs over $70.)”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2012

For Depression: “This medication has really helped me with my depression.”

nonion · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 2, 2019

“I take the amitriptyline/perphenazine for psychosis and it is the only thing that works for me and I been taking medicines for 35 years.”