Generic Name: chaste tree (Not applicable.)
Brand Name: Examples include Prelieve PMS and Vitex Extract
Vitex Extract is used for:
Irregularities of the menstrual cycle, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and breast pain. It may also have other uses. Check with your pharmacist for details regarding the particular brand you use.
Vitex Extract is an herbal product. It is thought to work by regulating hormone production through the pituitary gland in the brain.
Do NOT use Vitex Extract if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vitex Extract
- you are pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vitex Extract:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vitex Extract. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vitex Extract. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Dopamine agonists (eg, bromocriptine, levodopa) because side effects may be increased by Vitex Extract
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vitex Extract may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vitex Extract:
Use Vitex Extract as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dosing depends on the use and the source of the product.
- Use as directed on the package, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- It may take several days to months for this product to work.
- If you miss taking a dose of Vitex Extract for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vitex Extract.
Important safety information:
- Vitex Extract may reduce the effectiveness of birth control pills. Use an additional form of contraception (eg, condoms) while you are taking this product.
- If you will be taking this product for irregularities of the menstrual cycle or for breast pain and swelling, consult your doctor first. It is important to receive an accurate diagnosis of your symptoms before taking this product.
- This product has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as safe and effective for any medical condition. The long-term safety of herbal products is not known. Before using any alternative medicine, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not take this product if you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using this product, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Vitex Extract:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Acne; cramping; diarrhea; hair loss; headache; increased menstrual flow; stomach pain; tiredness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Vitex Extract:
Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light unless otherwise directed on the package label. Do not store in the bathroom. Most herbal products are not in childproof containers. Keep Vitex Extract out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vitex Extract, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vitex Extract is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Vitex Extract or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Vitex Extract. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Vitex Extract. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Vitex Extract.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.