Generic Name: homeopathic analgesic (hoh-mee-o-PATH-ik AN-al-JE-zik)
Brand Name: Traumeel
Traumeel ointment is used for:
Temporary relief of minor muscle and joint aches and pains caused by strains, sprains, and bruising. Traumeel ointment is a topical homeopathic analgesic. It works by reducing inflammation to temporarily relieve pain.
Do NOT use Traumeel ointment if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Traumeel ointment
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Traumeel ointment:
Some medical conditions may interact with Traumeel ointment. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a burn or open wound at the affected area or if your skin is damaged, broken, or irritated in any way
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Traumeel ointment. Because little, if any, of Traumeel ointment is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine without approval from your doctor or health care provider.
How to use Traumeel ointment:
Use Traumeel ointment as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply generously to the affected area. Gently massage the medicine into the skin until it disappears.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Traumeel ointment.
- Do not apply to burns, open wounds, or damaged, broken, or irritated skin.
- A bandage or wrap may be applied over Traumeel ointment.
- If you miss a dose of Traumeel ointment, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Traumeel ointment.
Important safety information:
- Traumeel ointment is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it any of these areas, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use more often than directed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Traumeel ointment over large areas of the body without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better, if they get worse, or if you develop a rash, check with your doctor.
- Traumeel ointment may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Traumeel ointment while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Traumeel ointment, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Traumeel ointment:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Traumeel ointment. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Traumeel ointment:
Store Traumeel ointment at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Traumeel ointment out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Traumeel ointment, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Traumeel ointment is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Traumeel ointment or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Traumeel ointment. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Traumeel ointment. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Traumeel ointment.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.