The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Probiotic chewable tablets
Generic Name: probiotic (PRO-bi-OT-ik)
Brand Name: Examples include ReZyst IM Probiotic and Diff-Stat
Probiotic chewable tablets are used for:
Promoting the growth of certain types of "friendly bacteria" in the digestive tract.
Probiotic chewable tablets are a dietary supplement.
Do NOT use probiotic chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in probiotic chewable tablets
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using probiotic chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with probiotic chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fever
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with probiotic chewable tablets. However, no specific interactions with probiotic chewable tablets are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if probiotic chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use probiotic chewable tablets:
Use probiotic chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take probiotic chewable tablets by mouth before or after a meal.
- Chew well before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of probiotic chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use probiotic chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Probiotic chewable tablets may contain a very small amount of dairy protein. If you have trouble digesting dairy products, ask your doctor or pharmacist if your product has dairy proteins in it. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using probiotic chewable tablets while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use probiotic chewable tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of probiotic chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of probiotic chewable tablets:
Store probiotic chewable tablets as directed on the prescription or medicine label. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep probiotic chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about probiotic chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Probiotic chewable tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take probiotic chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about probiotic chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to probiotic chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using probiotic chewable tablets.