Polyethylene glycol/ propylene glycol spray
Generic Name: polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol (pol-ee-ETH-i-leen/PROE-pi-leen)
Brand Name: Rhinaris
Polyethylene glycol/ propylene glycol spray is used for:
Relieving minor nosebleeds or dry, crusty, stuffy, or irritated nasal passages (nostrils) caused by dry room air, allergies, colds, or other conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray is nasal lubricant. It works by moisturizing the nose and washing away thick secretions.
Do NOT use polyethylene glycol/ propylene glycol spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using polyethylene glycol/ propylene glycol spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray. However, no specific interactions are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use polyethylene glycol/ propylene glycol spray:
Use polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To use a nose spray, gently blow your nose. Sit down and tilt your head back slightly. Place the tip of the spray container into the nose. Using a finger from your other hand, press against the opposite nostril to close it off. Breathe gently through the open nostril and squeeze the spray container. If you are using more than 1 spray, wait for 1 to 2 minutes between sprays. After using the medicine, rinse the tip of the spray unit in hot water and dry with a clean tissue to prevent contamination.
- Use polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- If you miss a dose of polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray.
Important safety information:
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of polyethylene glycol/ propylene glycol spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild, temporary stinging sensation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray:
Store polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol spray. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.