Generic name: Mucosal Coating Rinse (Liquid) [ myoo-KOH-sul-KOH-ting ]
Brand name: MuGard
Uses of MuGard:
- It is used to treat mouth sores.
- It is used to treat mouth irritation.
- It is used to treat canker sores.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take MuGard?
- If you are allergic to MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)); any part of MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take MuGard?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (MuGard) best taken?
Use MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not eat or drink for at least 1 hour after using.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)).
- Do not add water or other liquid to water down.
- Rinse 1 to 2 teaspoonfuls (5 to 10 mL) in mouth for at least 1 minute, then spit out or swallow.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)) on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of MuGard?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out MuGard?
- Store at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Protect from heat and sunlight.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Do not use if MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)) is out of date.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about MuGard (mucosal coating rinse (liquid)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.