Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 3, 2021.
Uses of HyperSal:
- It is used to thin mucus so it can be taken from the body by coughing.
- It is used to mix with other drugs for use in a special machine (nebulizer).
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take HyperSal?
- If you have an allergy to sodium chloride or any other part of HyperSal (sodium chloride nebulizer solution).
- If you are allergic to HyperSal (sodium chloride nebulizer solution); any part of HyperSal (sodium chloride nebulizer solution); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with HyperSal (sodium chloride nebulizer solution).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take HyperSal (sodium chloride nebulizer solution) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take HyperSal?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take HyperSal (sodium chloride nebulizer solution). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using HyperSal (sodium chloride nebulizer solution) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (HyperSal) best taken?
Use HyperSal (sodium chloride nebulizer solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- You will use by breathing in from the mouth with a special machine (nebulizer). Your doctor will teach you the right way to use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use HyperSal (sodium chloride nebulizer solution) on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times HyperSal (sodium chloride nebulizer solution) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of HyperSal?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out HyperSal?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from heat.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about HyperSal (sodium chloride nebulizer solution), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Hyper-Sal (sodium chloride)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.