Hydrocortisone butyrate solutionPronunciation
Generic Name: hydrocortisone butyrate (HYE-droe-KOR-ti-sone BUE-ti-rate)
Brand Name: Locoid
Hydrocortisone butyrate solution is used for:
Reducing inflammation and itching caused by seborrhea.
Hydrocortisone butyrate solution is a topical corticosteroid. Exactly how it works is not known.
Do NOT use hydrocortisone butyrate solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in hydrocortisone butyrate solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using hydrocortisone butyrate solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with hydrocortisone butyrate solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a skin infection, measles, thinning of the skin, tuberculosis (TB), chickenpox, shingles, a positive TB skin test, or have recently had a vaccination
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with hydrocortisone butyrate solution. Because little, if any, of hydrocortisone butyrate solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if hydrocortisone butyrate solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use hydrocortisone butyrate solution:
Use hydrocortisone butyrate solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area. Gently rub it in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying hydrocortisone butyrate solution, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not bandage or wrap the affected area unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of hydrocortisone butyrate solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use hydrocortisone butyrate solution.
Important safety information:
- Hydrocortisone butyrate solution is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do not use hydrocortisone butyrate solution for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Do not use more than the recommended dose or for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If hydrocortisone butyrate solution was prescribed to treat the diaper area of a child, avoid using tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Check with your doctor before you receive any vaccines while you are using hydrocortisone butyrate solution.
- Hydrocortisone butyrate solution has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use hydrocortisone butyrate solution, especially if the child is using a large amount of it or using it for a long period of time.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using hydrocortisone butyrate solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use hydrocortisone butyrate solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of hydrocortisone butyrate solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dryness at the application site; mild, temporary stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; excessive hair growth, inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; itching, burning, pain, redness, irritation, or swelling of the skin not present before using hydrocortisone butyrate solution; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of hydrocortisone butyrate solution:
Store hydrocortisone butyrate solution between 41 and 77 degrees F (5 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep hydrocortisone butyrate solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about hydrocortisone butyrate solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hydrocortisone butyrate solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take hydrocortisone butyrate solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about hydrocortisone butyrate solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to hydrocortisone butyrate solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using hydrocortisone butyrate solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about hydrocortisone topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 31 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Hydrocortisone acetate foam
- Hydrocortisone acetate suppositories
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Hydrocortisone foam
- Hydrocortisone gel
- More... (7)