Generic name: guaifenesin/potassium guaiacolsulfonate [ gwye-FEN-eh-sin/poe-TASS-ee-um-gwye-a-kole-SUL-foe-nate ]
Brand name: Allfen and Humibid LA
Humibid LA is used for:
Relieving symptoms of cough and mucus in the chest due to respiratory infections, asthma, colds, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Humibid LA is a combination of 2 expectorants. It works by thinning mucus (phlegm) in the lungs and making it less sticky and easier to cough up. This reduces chest congestion by making coughs more productive.
Do NOT use Humibid LA if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Humibid LA
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Humibid LA:
Some medical conditions may interact with Humibid LA. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a chronic cough that occurs with smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema, or if cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Humibid LA. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines. However, no specific interactions with Humibid LA are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Humibid LA may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Humibid LA:
Use Humibid LA as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Humibid LA may be taken with or without food.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Humibid LA is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Swallow Humibid LA whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of Humibid LA and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Humibid LA.
Important safety information:
- Humibid LA may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Humibid LA. Using Humibid LA alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Humibid LA may interfere with some lab tests. Make sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Humibid LA.
- Use Humibid LA with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Humibid LA during pregnancy. It is unknown if Humibid LA is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Humibid LA, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Humibid LA:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; headache; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); lower back or side pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch .
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Humibid LA:
Store Humibid LA at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Humibid LA out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Humibid LA, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Humibid LA is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Humibid LA. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.