Generic Name: sulconazole (sul-KON-a-zole)
Brand Name: Exelderm
Exelderm cream is used for:
Treating fungal infections, such as jock itch, athlete's foot, ringworm, and tinea versicolor (a fungal infection affecting the skin of the upper arms, chest, back, and sometimes the neck and face).
Exelderm cream is an antifungal. It works by blocking the growth of fungi.
Do NOT use Exelderm cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Exelderm cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Exelderm cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Exelderm cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Exelderm cream. Because little, if any, of Exelderm cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Exelderm cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Exelderm cream:
Use Exelderm cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Exelderm cream for the full course of treatment.
- Exelderm cream is for external use only.
- Clean the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly. Apply enough medicine to cover the affected area. Rub in gently.
- Do not cover unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Exelderm cream, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If you miss a dose of Exelderm cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Exelderm cream.
Important safety information:
- Exelderm cream is for external use only.
- Do not get Exelderm cream in your eyes.
- Exelderm cream may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Exelderm cream by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Overuse of topical products may worsen your condition.
- If your condition does not improve within 4 to 6 weeks or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Use Exelderm cream with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use Exelderm cream with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Exelderm cream during pregnancy. It is unknown if Exelderm cream is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Exelderm cream, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Exelderm cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burning; itching; redness; stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Exelderm cream:
Store Exelderm cream at room temperature. Avoid temperatures above 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Exelderm cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Exelderm cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Exelderm cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Exelderm cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Exelderm cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Exelderm cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Exelderm cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Exelderm (sulconazole topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antifungals