Generic name: Neomycin, Colistin, Hydrocortisone, and Thonzonium [ nee-oh-MYE-sin, koe-LIS-tin, hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone, & thon-ZOE-nee-um ]
Brand names: Coly-Mycin S, Cortisporin-TC
Drug class: Otic steroids with anti-infectives
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 17, 2023.
Uses of Coly-Mycin S:
- It is used to treat ear infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Coly-Mycin S?
- If you have an allergy to neomycin, colistin, hydrocortisone, thonzonium, or any other part of Coly-Mycin S (neomycin, colistin, hydrocortisone, and thonzonium).
- If you are allergic to Coly-Mycin S (neomycin, colistin, hydrocortisone, and thonzonium); any part of Coly-Mycin S (neomycin, colistin, hydrocortisone, and thonzonium); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a viral ear infection.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Coly-Mycin S (neomycin, colistin, hydrocortisone, and thonzonium).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Coly-Mycin S (neomycin, colistin, hydrocortisone, and thonzonium) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Coly-Mycin S?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Coly-Mycin S (neomycin, colistin, hydrocortisone, and thonzonium). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Coly-Mycin S) best taken?
Use Coly-Mycin S (neomycin, colistin, hydrocortisone, and thonzonium) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- For the ear only.
- Keep out of your eyes.
- Shake suspension well before use.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Lie on your side with problem ear up.
- Pull the outer ear outward and upward.
- For children younger than 3 years of age, pull the outer ear outward and downward.
- Put drops in ear without touching dropper to ear. Stay on side for 2 minutes or put cotton plug in ear.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Irritation where Coly-Mycin S (neomycin, colistin, hydrocortisone, and thonzonium) is used.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- This medicine may cause hearing loss that may not go away. The chance may be higher if you use Coly-Mycin S (neomycin, colistin, hydrocortisone, and thonzonium) for a long time. Do not use Coly-Mycin S (neomycin, colistin, hydrocortisone, and thonzonium) longer than you have been told by your doctor. Tell your doctor right away if you have a change in hearing or hearing loss.
What are some other side effects of Coly-Mycin S?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Coly-Mycin S?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Coly-Mycin S (neomycin, colistin, hydrocortisone, and thonzonium), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Coly-Mycin S (colistin sulfate / hydrocortisone / neomycin / thonzonium bromide otic)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- Drug class: otic steroids with anti-infectives
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.