The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Clinisol SF solution
Generic Name: amino acid (a-MEE-noe AS-id in-JEK-shun)
Brand Name: Examples include Aminosyn and Clinisol SF
Clinisol SF solution is used for:
Providing nutrition to the body.
Clinisol SF solution is an amino acid solution to be infused intravenously (IV) (into the vein).
Do NOT use Clinisol SF solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Clinisol SF solution
- you have severe blood acid or electrolyte problems, high blood ammonia levels, low blood volume, or certain amino acid metabolism problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Clinisol SF solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Clinisol SF solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have swelling or problems with retaining fluid
- if you have heart problems (eg, heart failure), blood acid or electrolyte problems, or kidney or liver problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Clinisol SF solution. However, no specific interactions with Clinisol SF solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Clinisol SF solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Clinisol SF solution:
Use Clinisol SF solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clinisol SF solution is administered as an infusion at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Clinisol SF solution, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Clinisol SF solution.
Important safety information:
- Some of these products contain sulfites. Sulfites may cause an allergic reaction in some patients (eg, asthma patients). If you have ever had an allergic reaction to sulfites, ask your pharmacist if your product has sulfites in it.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use Clinisol SF solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Clinisol SF solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Clinisol SF solution in CHILDREN and NEWBORNS because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Clinisol SF solution during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Clinisol SF solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Clinisol SF solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. If you have any side effects that continue or become bothersome, check with your doctor. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); shortness of breath; sudden, unexplained weight gain; swelling of the hands, ankles, legs, or feet; symptoms of fluid or electrolyte problems (eg, confusion; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; loss of appetite; mood changes; muscle pain, twitching, or weakness; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness; unusual tiredness or weakness).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Clinisol SF solution:
Clinisol SF solution is handled and stored by a health care provider. You will not store it at home. Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Clinisol SF solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Clinisol SF solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Clinisol SF solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Clinisol SF solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Clinisol SF solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Clinisol SF solution.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.