Generic name: Camphor and Phenol [ KAM-for-& FEE-nole ]
Drug classes: Mouth and throat products, Topical rubefacient
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 1, 2023.
Uses of Campho-Phenique:
- It is used to relieve itching and pain from insect bites or skin irritation.
- It is used to help lower the chance of infection from minor cuts, scrapes, burns, or insect bites.
- It is used to treat cold sores.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Campho-Phenique?
- If you have an allergy to camphor, phenol, or any other part of Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol).
- If you are allergic to Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol); any part of Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If a large area needs to be treated.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Campho-Phenique?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Check with the doctor before putting Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol) on open or deep wounds, animal bites, or very bad burns or cuts.
- If you get Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol) in the eyes, flush right away with cool water and get medical help.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Campho-Phenique) best taken?
Use Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings) unless told to do so by the doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol) on a regular basis, put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Campho-Phenique?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Campho-Phenique?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Campho-Phenique (camphor and phenol), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Campho-Phenique (camphor / phenol topical)
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.