Generic Name: thyroid (THYE-royd)
Brand Name: Examples include Armour Thyroid and Bio-Throid
Do not use Bio-Throid alone or with other medicines to treat obesity or to lose weight. Incorrect use of Bio-Throid may cause serious and sometimes life-threatening side effects.
Bio-Throid is used for:
Treating underactive thyroid. It is also used to treat or prevent certain types of goiters and to manage thyroid cancer. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Bio-Throid is a thyroid hormone. It works by replacing thyroid hormone when your body does not make enough on its own.
Do NOT use Bio-Throid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Bio-Throid
- you have certain untreated adrenal gland problems or untreated high thyroid hormone levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Bio-Throid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Bio-Throid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, angina, heart blood vessel problems or coronary artery disease, heart attack)
- if you have a history of diabetes, adrenal gland problems, overactive thyroid, or pituitary gland problems
- if you have a condition that prevents you from absorbing nutrients properly
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Bio-Throid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Estrogen, hormonal contraceptives (eg, birth control pills), or sucralfate because they may decrease Bio-Throid's effectiveness
- Thioamines (eg, propylthiouracil) because the effectiveness of both medicines may be decreased
- Digoxin, insulin, or oral medicines for diabetes (eg, glyburide) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Bio-Throid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Bio-Throid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Bio-Throid:
Use Bio-Throid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- How you take Bio-Throid with regard to food may affect how well it is absorbed into your body. Certain types of food (eg, soybean products) may also affect how well Bio-Throid is absorbed. Check with your doctor about how you should take Bio-Throid with regard to food.
- Do not take cholestyramine, colestipol, or colesevelam within 4 to 5 hours of taking Bio-Throid.
- If you take orlistat or sucralfate, ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take it with Bio-Throid.
- Take Bio-Throid on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Bio-Throid works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Continue to take Bio-Throid even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Bio-Throid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Bio-Throid.
Important safety information:
- Bio-Throid should not be used to treat fertility problems or obesity in patients who have normal thyroid function because serious and sometimes life-threatening side effects could occur. Large doses of Bio-Throid, especially when taken with diet pills, may cause symptoms of toxicity.
- Children may experience temporary, partial hair loss during the first few months of taking Bio-Throid.
- Diabetes patients - Bio-Throid may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Bio-Throid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Lab tests, including thyroid function tests, may be performed while you use Bio-Throid. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Bio-Throid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Bio-Throid has not been shown to cause harm to the fetus if you take it while you are pregnant. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. Your dose may need to be changed. Bio-Throid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Bio-Throid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Bio-Throid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in appetite; changes in menstrual periods; chest pain; diarrhea or increased bowel movements; excessive sweating; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; inability to tolerate warm or hot temperatures; nervousness; tremor; trouble sleeping; unexplained weight loss; unusual weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Bio-Throid:
Store Bio-Throid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Bio-Throid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Bio-Throid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bio-Throid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Bio-Throid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Bio-Throid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Bio-Throid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Bio-Throid.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.