Generic name: insulin [ IN-su-lin ]
Brand name: Examples include BD Ultrafine and Novofine
BD Ultrafine is used for:
Injecting insulin (and other solutions as determined by your doctor) into a preselected site of the body.
Do NOT use BD Ultrafine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in BD Ultrafine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using BD Ultrafine:
Some medical conditions may interact with BD Ultrafine. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with BD Ultrafine. However, no specific interactions with BD Ultrafine are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if BD Ultrafine may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use BD Ultrafine:
Use BD Ultrafine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Carefully attach the needle to your insulin pen as you have been shown. Prepare and inject your insulin following the procedure you have been shown.
- Do not remove the cap from the needle until you are ready to give the injection.
- Do not recap the needle after the injection. You may accidentally stick yourself trying to recap the needle.
- Do not share pen or cartridge devices with another person. Sharing these devices may pass infections from one person to another. This includes infections you may not know you have.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of BD Ultrafine, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use BD Ultrafine.
Important safety information:
- Use only needles designed for insulin delivery to give your insulin injection. Different insulin pens may require different pen needles. Make sure that you have the correct needle for your device. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which needle you need.
- Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials.
- Do not carry an insulin pen with a needle attached to it. Doing so may affect the accuracy of your insulin dose.
- Use a different site for each injection; about 1 inch away from previous injection sites, but in the same general area. Use all available sites in the same general area before switching to a different area. Do not use the same injection site more often than once every month or two.
Possible side effects of BD Ultrafine:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Redness, swelling, or itching at injection sites.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of BD Ultrafine:
Store the needles at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in the original package. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep BD Ultrafine and needles out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about BD Ultrafine, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- BD Ultrafine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take BD Ultrafine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about BD Ultrafine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to BD Ultrafine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using BD Ultrafine.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.