Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 4, 2021.
Uses of Amvisc Plus:
- It is used for eye surgeries.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Amvisc Plus?
- If you have an allergy to hyaluronic acid or any other part of this medicine (Amvisc Plus).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (Amvisc Plus); any part of this medicine (Amvisc Plus); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are using a product that contains ammonium salts or chlorhexidine to clean the area.
- If you have bleeding problems.
- If you have an infection or skin problem where the shot will be given.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (Amvisc Plus).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Amvisc Plus) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Amvisc Plus?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Amvisc Plus). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Amvisc Plus) best taken?
Use this medicine (Amvisc Plus) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
What are some other side effects of Amvisc Plus?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where this medicine (Amvisc Plus) is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Amvisc Plus?
- If you need to store this medicine (Amvisc Plus) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Amvisc Plus), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Amvisc Plus (sodium hyaluronate ophthalmic)
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.