Tuberculin use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Tuberculin: Tubersol, Aplisol, Tuberculin Tine Test, Sclavo Test-PPD, Aplitest, Mono-Vacc Test (OT)
Medically reviewed on March 12, 2018
Tuberculin Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
There is no reason to withhold breastfeeding after tuberculosis skin testing or to avoid skin testing in nursing mothers.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
There is some evidence that breastfed infants can acquire immune responsiveness to tuberculin via breastmilk. However, other investigators have found no evidence of breastmilk transfer of immunity.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
1. Martinez-Cairo Cueto S, Alasio-Chavez C, Davila Velasquez JR. [In vitro transfer of immunity against PPD with dialyzable extract of leukocytes from human colostrum]. Rev Alerg. 1992;39:126-32. PMID: 1492196
2. Schlesinger JJ, Covelli HD. Evidence for transmission of lymphocyte responses to tuberculin by breast-feeding. Lancet. 1977;2:529-32. PMID: 95733
3. Masters PL. Maternal transmission of skin sensitivity to tuberculin. Lancet. 1982;2:276-7. PMID: 6124704
4. Keller MA, Rodgriguez AL, Alvarez S et al. Transfer of tuberculin immunity from mother to infant. Pediatr Res.1987;22:277-81. PMID: 3658548
CAS Registry Number
Purified Protein Derivative
LactMed Record Number
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about tuberculin purified protein derivative
- Tuberculin purified protein derivative Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: in vivo diagnostic biologicals