Rotigotine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Rotigotine: Neupro
Rotigotine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
No information is available on the use of rotigotine during breastfeeding, but it suppresses serum prolactin and may interfere with breastfeeding. An alternate drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information in nursing mothers was not found as of the revision date. Rotigotine lowers serum prolactin. The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
1. Mastrangelo M, Giannini MT, Carducci CL et al. Safety and efficacy of rotigotine in 7 patients with monoaminergic neurotransmitter deficiency. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2016;39 (Suppl 1):S228. Abstract. DOI: doi:10.1007/s10545-016-9969-2
2. Daniel JS, Govindan JP, Kamath C et al. Newer dopaminergic agents cause minimal endocrine effects in idiopathic Parkinson's disease. Clin Med Insights Endocrinol Diabetes. 2014;7:13-7. PMID: 24855402
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about rotigotine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 39 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: dopaminergic antiparkinsonism agents
Other brands: Neupro