Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine use while Breastfeeding
Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Data concerning the safety of Japanese encephalitis vaccine during breastfeeding are not available. However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and several health professional organizations state that in general vaccines given to a nursing mother do not affect the safety of breastfeeding for mothers or infants. Therefore, breastfeeding is not a contraindication to Japanese encephalitis vaccine in mothers who require it. Breastfed infants should be vaccinated according to the routine recommended schedules.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Limited data indicate that breastfeeding can enhance the response of the infant to certain vaccine antigens.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
1. General recommendations on immunization --- recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2011;60 (RR-2):1-64. PMID: 21293327
2. Gruslin A, Steben M, Halperin S et al. Immunization in pregnancy: No. 220, December 2008. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2009;105:187-91. PMID: 19367691
3. Fischer M, Lindsey N, Staples JE, Hills S. Japanese encephalitis vaccines: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2010;59:1-27. PMID: 20224546
4. American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases, Kimberlin DW, Brady MT et al. Red Book: 2015 Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. 30th ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics. 2015.
5. Pabst HF. Immunomodulation by breast-feeding. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1997;16:991-5. PMID: 9380478
Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine Identification
Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about japanese encephalitis virus vaccine nakayama
- Other brands: Je-Vax