Measles virus vaccine / mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine / varicella virus vaccine Side Effects
Not all side effects for measles virus vaccine / mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine / varicella virus vaccine may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
For the Consumer
Applies to measles virus vaccine / mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine / varicella virus vaccine: subcutaneous powder for solution, subcutaneous powder for suspension
In addition to its needed effects, some unwanted effects may be caused by measles virus vaccine / mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine / varicella virus vaccine. In the event that any of these side effects do occur, they may require medical attention.
You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking measles virus vaccine / mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine / varicella virus vaccine:More common
- Fever over 39 °C (102 °F)
- Body aches or pain
- ear congestion
- loss of voice
- nasal congestion
- rash that looks like chickenpox or measles
- runny nose
- sore throat
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- back pain, sudden and severe
- bleeding gums
- blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
- bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
- blood in the urine or stools
- bloody nose
- bloody or black, tarry stools
- blurred vision
- burning or stinging of the skin
- burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings
- chest pain
- cough or hoarseness
- cough producing mucus
- difficulty with breathing
- difficulty with swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- general feeling of discomfort or illness
- inability to move the arms and legs
- inability to speak
- itching, pain, redness, swelling, tenderness, or warmth on the skin
- joint or muscle pain
- large, flat, blue, or purplish patches in the skin
- large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- loss of appetite
- lower back or side pain
- mood or mental changes
- muscle aches and pains
- muscle weakness, sudden and progressing
- noisy breathing
- numbness, tingling, pain, or weakness in the hands or feet
- pain, numbness, or tingling of the hands, arms, legs, or feet
- pain, tenderness, or swelling in the testicles and scrotum
- painful blisters on the trunk of the body
- painful cold sores or blisters on the lips, nose, eyes, or genitals
- painful knees and ankles
- painful or difficult urination
- pinpoint red spots on the skin
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- raised red swellings on the skin, buttocks, legs, or ankles
- rapid weight gain
- red skin lesions, often with a purple center
- red, irritated eyes
- severe or sudden headache
- shakiness and unsteady walk
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- shortness of breath
- skin rash
- skin rash on the face, scalp, or stomach
- slurred speech
- sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- stiff neck or back
- stomach pain
- sudden numbness and weakness in the arms and legs
- swelling or puffiness of the face
- swollen or painful glands
- swollen, painful, or tender lymph glands in the neck, armpit, or groin
- swollen, painful, or tender lymph glands on the side of the face or neck
- temporary blindness
- thickening of bronchial secretions
- tightness in the chest
- tingling of the hands or feet
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- trouble sleeping
- unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual weight gain or loss
- warmth on the skin
- weakness in the arm or leg on one side of the body, sudden and severe
- weakness of the muscles in your face
- white patches in the mouth or throat or on the tongue
- white patches with diaper rash
Some of the side effects that can occur with measles virus vaccine / mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine / varicella virus vaccine may not need medical attention. As your body adjusts to the medicine during treatment these side effects may go away. Your health care professional may also be able to tell you about ways to reduce or prevent some of these side effects. If any of the following side effects continue, are bothersome or if you have any questions about them, check with your health care professional:More common
- Bleeding, blistering, burning, coldness, discoloration of the skin, feeling of pressure, hives, infection, inflammation, itching, lumps, numbness, pain, rash, redness, scarring, soreness, stinging, swelling, tenderness, tingling, ulceration, or warmth at the injection site
- Abnormal dreams
- blue-yellow color blindness
- decreased vision
- difficulty with moving
- double vision
- ear pain
- excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines
- eye pain
- full feeling
- irritation and swelling of the eyelids
- lack of feeling or emotion
- muscle or bone pain
- muscle pain or stiffness
- pain and swelling in the scrotum
- pain in the hip, leg, or neck
- pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones
- passing gas
- red rash with watery, yellow-colored, or pus filled blisters
- thick yellow to honey-colored crusts
- unusually deep sleep
- unusually long duration of sleep
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to measles virus vaccine / mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine / varicella virus vaccine: subcutaneous powder for injection
Dermatologic side effects have included miliaria rubra, rubella-like rash, measles-like rash, varicella-like rash, Henoch-Schonlein purpura, herpes simplex, impetigo, panniculitis, pruritus, purpura, skin induration, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, erythema multiforme, urticaria, and rash.
Local side effects have included pain, tenderness, soreness, erythema, ecchymosis and rash.
General side effects have included fever, irritability and malaise.
Psychiatric side effects have included crying, insomnia, sleep disorder, agitation, apathy and nervousness.
Respiratory side effects have included upper respiratory infection, cough, nasal congestion, respiratory congestion, rhinorrhea, bronchial spasm, bronchitis, epistaxis, pneumonitis, pneumonia, pulmonary congestion, rhinitis, sinusitis, sneezing, sore throat, and wheezing.
Nervous system side effects have included somnolence, afebrile convulsions, seizures, aseptic meningitis, Bells' palsy, cerebrovascular accident, dizziness, dream abnormality, encephalitis, encephalopathy, Guillain-Barre syndrome, headache, hypersomnia, measles inclusion body encephalitis, paresthesia, polyneuritis, polyneuropathy, subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, syncope, transverse myelitis and tremor. Postmarketing reports have included ataxia, convulsion, and febrile seizure.
Gastrointestinal side effects have included diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, flatulence, hematochezia, anorexia, and mouth ulcer.
Ocular side effects shave included edema of the eyelid, irritation, optic neuritis, retinitis, and retrobulbar neuritis.
Cardiovascular side effects have included extravasation.
Other side effects have included ear pain, nerve deafness, otitis, otitis media, pharyngitis, and viral infection.
Musculoskeletal side effects have included arthritis, arthralgia, musculoskeletal pain, myalgia, swelling, and pain of the hip, leg or neck.
Immunologic side effects have included anaphylactoid reaction, anaphylaxis, angioneurotic edema, facial edema, and peripheral edema.
Other side effects have included lymphadenitis and regional lymphadenopathy.
Hematologic side effects have included thrombocytopenia.
Other side effects have included atypical measles, candidiasis, herpes zoster, influenza, measles, orchitis, parotitis, respiratory infection, and skin infection.
More about measles virus vaccine/mumps virus vaccine/rubella virus vaccine/varicella virus vaccine
- Measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella vaccine
- Measles, mumps, rubella and varicella virus vaccine
- Measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella virus vaccine live Subcutaneous (Advanced Reading)
- Other brands: ProQuad
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.