User Reviews for Levaquin

Learn more about Levaquin.

Kidney Infections 9 reviews 93 medications

5.5
Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 4 reviews 159 medications

Summary of Levaquin reviews 248 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Levaquin

For Pneumonia "750 mg dosage for five days apparently cleared pneumonia, but now, six weeks later, I still feel some side effects of pain and swelling in ankles and feet that immobilized me immediately after taking. Additional side effects included internal bleeding in ankle area, black toes, areas of skin on lower leg showing bruise like areas. Difficulty walking due to stiff and painful joints in feet and ankles."

Nonegiven (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

For Sinusitis "Levaquin and sunlight do not mix. Cover up if you are outside while taking it. Otherwise you will burn and burn quickly. But the stuff works."

sunny side up April 23, 2016

For Sinusitis "Took this after having a sinus infection for four months, amoxicillin, augmentin, zpacks, steroids, nothing worked. Levaquin made me feel better within days, completely cleared the infection. Did give me a swollen foot/ankle, but that cleared once I finished the antibiotic course. I'd rather wrap my foot for two weeks, than have a sinus infection for four months. I don't think this is typically prescribed unless other antibiotics have failed. On it again for another stubborn sinus infection, no tendon issues so far."

Lalalamcd (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Bronchitis "I was prescribed 500mg for 10 days for acute bronchitis, sinus infection as well as a very painful ear infection. After the first dose, I did feel a bit better. The second dose marked a big difference in how I was feeling overall. I was also prescribed a very expensive inhaler of Albuterol. (Rarely use) The third day was when I noticed that the side effects were now more of a problem than my illness. Metallic taste in my mouth, severe dry mouth, leg cramps, NO sleep, rise in BP and HR. dizziness, and ringing in my ears, agitation. I am on day 5 and do not want to finish the prescription but was warned, "take it completely..even after you begin to feel better." The only positive off chart effect is my skin is glowing!"

Anouk Tansy April 15, 2016

For Sinusitis "My dosage of Levaquin was 750 mg daily initially for 5 days & later extended for another 10 days after an ER visit. I discontinued the drug after 11 days due to: a) a general feeling of malaise after taking the drug b) I am a runner and I began experiencing tendinosis in the Achilles tendons & then on a routine run, I pulled up lame and could not continue due to severe pain in my left hamstring area - I attribute these injuries strictly to the Levaquin. I think this drug was effective in handling the infection but its side effects for me as described above are very real. I will not take this drug or probably any drugs in the fluoroquinolones class again. Anyone who is into exercising should think carefully about using this drug."

toucando (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

For Sinusitis "Just didn't work for me. Now day 10 and still sick. Emergency walk in says it must be viral. I won't accept this prescription again."

Paula Mathis (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2016

For Pneumonia "Just finished a 7 day course of Levaquin (500 mg oral tabs) for pneumonia. My infection was not severe, but I noticed effects practically immediately. Within 24 hours I felt so much better. It did make me slightly nauseous at first, until I began taking it only on a full stomach. Did not notice any other side effects. I drank a LOT of water while I was sick, which may have helped."

FeelingMuchBetter (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2016

For Prostatitis "I think it should be considered medical malpractice for a physician to prescribe this drug to an elderly man with heart problems, especially known congestive heart failure. My father didn't know he should report muscle weakness he experienced while taking this drug, and there was no followup by the physician. Since the heart is a muscle, I think this drug propelled my father into endstage heart failure, which he now has."

CNA daughter (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2016

For Sinusitis "Levaquin is not for me, even though it did help clear up my sinus infection. The tendonitis and joint pain were just too much for me. What they fail to tell you is that with lots of people who take this drug, the side effects do NOT go away with discontinuation of the drug. I now feel like I have arthritis in my hips, knees, elbows, and hands that simply will not go away, and I blame the Levaquin for these lingering symptoms. I would not recommend the drug to anyone unless their sinus infection simply will not respond to other treatments."

No More for Me (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

For Sinusitis "Ok so I just started this medication, 9 tablets to go and reading the comments is really freaking me out. I'm not big on medication so I guess we will see how this goes. I'll keep an update."

worriedlady1427 March 23, 2016

For Sinusitis "My doctor prescribed me Levaquin, 750 mg for 7 days) after amoxycylin didn't do the trick. I had the sinus infection for almost a month at this point, and was willing to try anything. I took the Levaquin with prednisone the first night, and had an intense anxious reaction to the combo - my pharmacy recommended I stop the prednisone, so I did. The anxious feeling subsided, and within 12 hours, I could feel my head pressure go away. However, on the second day, and until now (on the 5th day) I've slowly felt new side effects. Mainly, fatigue, achy knees and shoulders, and I wake up in the morning feelig like im burning from the inside out. I would recommend to help sinus infections, but warning, the side effects are real. Hoping they go away!"

KMahan March 19, 2016

For Pneumonia "I was given this Horrific medication as my provider thought I had pneumonia and after taking it for 8 days, I could hardly walk and my knees were stiff and I could not get up or put any weight on my legs. My hands were swollen and I could not make a fist or open my water bottle. This Drug should be taken off the market immediately!!!! How can a physician in good conscience prescribe this medication to anyone? I just hope that I am not a permanently crippled by this medication. My chest X-ray came back negative to I did not even need an antibiotic and just needed a cough medicine and Mucinex to clear up my cough. The one time I did not have time to read the drug information because I was moving and my doctor decides to prescribe me this!!!"

Rita Ma (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2016

For Pneumonia "Sure it got rid of the pneumonia. But at what cost??? Bad anxiety terrible pain in knees and ankles. I was given xanax to deal with the side effects of the levaquin. Never taking this agin."

Nrem24 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed Levaquin following a week of taking Cipro. The Levaquin has caused serious and chronic diarrhea that continues even being off the medication for over 2 weeks."

Frantogo February 17, 2016

For Bronchitis "I am 86 years old. I only took 2 doses of 750 mg over 2 days & was having calf pain, nervousness & trouble sleeping."

Patrick girl February 14, 2016

For Bronchitis "I feel like I am going to itch my legs and feet off. I have a red bumpy rash. I had better go back to Doctor in the morning. I hate this - my legs and feet are so swelled up. Do not take this drug I ended up worse than I was. Thanks FDA"

itcy an scratchy February 13, 2016

For Sinusitis "I took ONE levaquin for a sinus infection and within 1 hour had a high fever. The blood vessels in my legs began leaking blood under my skin (a condition called vasculitis that is now permanent), my feet/hands were so swollen we almost had to cut off my wedding ring, and by the next morning I couldn't move ANY part of my body without excruciating pain. My doctor didn't know what was going on and called in a steroid, which helped me be able to move again, but it was a month before I could stand/walk. That was 5 years ago. I had an existing autoimmune disease and this drug made it much worse. I now have infusions of chemo to treat my vasculitis, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and I suffer from permanent neuropathy. DON'T TAKE THIS DRUG."

SuzetteK (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was given this for 5 days,was a little hyper in the mornings but it cleared my uti right up.Would definitely take it again."

Lakayla (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2016

For Streptococcal Infection "I was diagnosed with tonsillitis/strep condition. I was given a prescription of 7 pills. Took my first pill with water at 3:39PM and woke up at 5:30PM with my heart racing at over 120bpm and felt every blood vessel in my body pulsating. This lasted for only about 45 seconds to a minute I think. I was more worried about going into cardiac arrest than timing how long this was going on for. After that read forums on long lasting horrible side effects. No other symptoms till the next day. Woke up with sore knees. Did more "internet research on this drug and how it should be banned. My toes and heels are tingling, numb and feel like pins/needles and burning. Called my Dr. for a different prescription. Zithromax, which is fine."

TLuggiero (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2016

For Sinusitis "Never, ever take this drug or those part of the Flouroquinolone family (Cipro, etc.). I didn't realize that this was a blacklisted drug; it should be illegal to prescribe such a thing and the doctor who prescribed this to me failed to tell me about the side effects. When I asked her what the side effects were, she said "lightheadedness". Thankfully I only took about 750 mg in total and am going to do whatever I can to expel this poison from my body. Warn everyone you know to NEVER take this drug."

Anonymous January 30, 2016

For Bronchitis "The pain in my legs from the hips to the knee was excruciating. I thought I had bone cancer. This lasted for 2.5 weeks even after I stopped taking the med. Walking was almost impossible even with pain meds."

1Cate January 28, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "If you live, for decades after taking levaquin, you will experience multiple tendon ruptures, in your arms, shoulders, legs and achillies tendons. All your muscles will forever be weak and your reflexes slow. Do not take, under any circumstances, unless you want to destroy your health."

CaptianK (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

For Bronchitis "I took Levaquin and think it should be banned. I went to bed and had horrible racing thoughts...a terrible terrible experience. My Dr. insisted I come to office when I called in the morning. I would have liked to rate it as 0 but I had to select and the only option was 1. I will never take this family of drugs."

Anonymous January 9, 2016

For Sinusitis "Levaquin is my miracle prescription for sinus infections. I usually get 2 really nasty sinus infections a year-Levaquin is the ONLY antibiotic that had worked for me. I have never had any side effects, other than getting well! I always take It exactly as prescribed: 1 per day, (for 10 days), with lots of water."

Z'sla January 1, 2016

For Pneumonia "I have pneumonia in both lungs for the second time in 35 days. I was hospitalized this time though, so it's definitely worse the the first illness. The only side effect I've noticed is nausea. If I drink water quickly, I immediately feel the need to throw up. Problem is that I'm always thirsty. I am home now thank goodness, still sick but I have what I need. I left AMA because I've got four kids with Christmas on their brains. Hopefully my pills will do the trick."

INeedCoffee December 24, 2015