Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Sucralfate

Also known as: Carafate

Learn more about Sucralfate.

Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis 1 reviews 28 medications

Duodenal Ulcer 6 reviews 139 medications

9.5
Stomach Ulcer 8 reviews 110 medications

7.6
GERD 6 reviews 208 medications

6.8
Duodenal Ulcer Prophylaxis 0 reviews 42 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperphosphatemia of Renal Failure 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Stomatitis 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sucralfate reviews 21 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Sucralfate

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Stomach Ulcer: I tore ligaments in my ankle and was taking Motrin for about 6 weeks, I developed ulcers in my stomach. I couldn't eat and was severely nauseated for days. After a 10lb weight loss I decided to go to the ER. Carafate was prescribed and after the 3rd dose I felt so much better. I get a really dry mouth because of the Carafate, no constipation though.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2014 12:58 PM

Review by SmokyMtnLady (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: I had terrible stomach/esophagial and mid back pain. After a endoscopic procedure, I was found to have GERD, Barrett's esophagus & a small hiatial hernia. The Carafate & Dexilant worked well to calm down the esophagitis pain/spasms/inflammation. The Barrett's esophagus was detected using pathology and even though it was a very mild case, it is a serious disease and I will need a EGD performed yearly. The Dexilant has worked wonders also. The two medicines are working well together. I have not had any side effects from the Carafate. I take 1/2 to 1 tablet, as needed, up to 4 times/day. I chew it up and swallow with a small sip of water or you can dissolve it in water and drink it. Coats the stomach quicker. I have used it for 6 months.

October 10, 2013 12:28 PM

Review by Shaunaj (taken for less than 1 month):

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: Carafate worked miracles. I wasnt able to eat much while on it but it did stop the pain from my Ulcer. I didn't realize it but it did make me constipated and I was really gassy which in turn caused pain but I would rather have gassy pain then the pain from the ulcer.

September 10, 2013 12:54 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: Carafate worked really well in calming the pain. I didn't have a problem with constipation as I was unable to eat solid food at that point but after a couple of days of using it I was actually able to eat for the first time in weeks.

May 29, 2013 3:59 PM

Review by Nisei (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Stomach Ulcer: I'm on Sucralfate now for over a month but my problems seem to come and go so I can't say it's really working (yet). Also, my stool is sometimes dark green which had me worried. The only place I'm reading about this side effect is here so I hope it's the medicine that's causing it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2013 8:54 PM

Review by Gearth (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For GERD: This medication is a must have for all with severe GERD. I have had major problems with GERD for the past 20 years. After having my gallbladder removed proton pump inhibitors stopped working, this is very common after gallbladder surgery as the bile is now in the stomach instead of being stored in the gallbladder. Sucralfate 3x a day is working wonders. If it's helping me it should help most anyone

December 18, 2012 5:03 AM

For Stomach Ulcer: Worked well for stomach ulcer but did not heal on its own. Needed the additional Nexium to reduce the acid. The combination works better than sucralfate by itself.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2012 1:38 AM

Review by tammykee:

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: I have been on Carafate for almost 6 weeks for an ulcer. It has not helped me at all. I still have the extreme abdominal pain all night long. I was check for H pylori and it was negative. I had all kinds of ultrasounds done and they all came back fine. I was also given Dexilant to take. I take the Carafate 4 times a day and no luck for me. I am seeing another doctor today. It just is not working for me. And as others said, it does make you consipated for sure. I wish it worked for me like some of the others, but it is not.

March 20, 2012 3:49 PM

For : To all those with horrible skin reactions: ***The suspension contains red dye, which makes my throat close rapidly and causes skin reactions. Consider asking your doctor to switch you to the pill version (there is one by TEVA with no coloring at all.). So far this seems to be calming both reflux and pain.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2012 4:49 PM

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: Face swelled, became red, peeled, and caused intense pain and itching simultaneously; eyes reddened and swelled to the point of almost closing; throat became sore; prednisone pack prescribed.

February 13, 2012 2:12 PM

For : I had to stop after 10 days due to a rash all over my body. Hope after it goes away I can start on it again and use 2 a day instead of 4. I am on 2 Prevacid and 2 Zantac also. It worked great and for a week I was in heaven.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2012 5:14 PM

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis: I was in much discomfort; pain, burning. Felt like I had something caught in my throat. These symptoms all came back just after an Endoscope. We called the Doctor and he prescribed Carafate Suspension. The "fire" was put out immediately. It was so good to feel "NORMAL" again.

June 9, 2011 9:10 PM

Review by Miss Heath:

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: I have both an ulcer in my stomach as well as duodenitis (two ulcers in the upper part of my small intestine)--this was all discovered during my endoscopy. I was given this medication and am still on it...immediately I had dry mouth, mild headaches and that dizzy/vertigo feeling which I just thought were my sinuses acting up until I looked up the side effects. It's changed my bowel motions for sure, more towards constipation which then causes an upset stomach for me, mainly in the morning.

December 14, 2010 11:01 AM

Review by wnbck:

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: This is a great medication for ulcer pain. But there is one major side effect that is intolerable, constipation. After using it for two days my stool was so hard that it took 2 Fleet water enema's and a mineral oil enema just to get the stool down.

April 5, 2010 1:32 PM

Review by YarnCrazy:

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: I developed an ulcer after gastric bypass surgery. Carafate has worked quickly to relieve the volcano like feeling in my new stomach pouch.

March 1, 2010 5:59 AM

Review by mfirebrand1:

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: I have Barrett's Disease. This helps the pain somewhat but doesn't make me feel well or have an appetite. Maybe not compatible with other medicines.

January 28, 2010 6:10 PM

For GERD: I was given this when my esophagus was closing due to reflux. It allowed the tissue to heal and the swelling to go down. I had no side effects and have continued to use this drug to protect against problems in the future because I do still have reflux disease.

December 12, 2009 4:39 PM

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: It takes a long time to be effective. Don't be surprised that it may take 2 bottles (at 30day supply/ bottle) to get results. Condition will slowly improve. It usually is taken 4 times daily. Easier to do 1 hour before meals than 3 hours after. My schedule 6:30 am, 11 am, 4 pm and then before bed. Be sure to have FULL (8 - 10oz.) glass of water. Otherwise blue pill will cause stool to be DARK GREEN.

September 1, 2009 9:56 PM

Review by pattyrabbit:

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: I have intense pain along bottom of ribs and this is the second round of Carafate. It has not helped at all. Still in pain. No side effects from taking it though.

May 6, 2009 1:46 PM

Review by ldebe:

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: I have had pains in my upper abdomen at the center right edge of my ribs, the pain radiates into my back and we are looking to find why. An endoscopy found a little ulcer so they did a biopsy just in case and we are also doing other tests. Anyway I was prescribed Carafate Suspension and it causes intense diarrhea.

March 9, 2009 9:15 PM

Review by fcsb3:

For Stomach Ulcer: I had attacks of extreme cold right after taking it. I was only on it for a week and had to quit.

March 8, 2009 1:45 PM

Review by Cynthiajschmitt:

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: I had several ulcers the pain was tremendous. After a week in the hospital I was given this medication and others. This medication worked miracles. I wasn't told that if I stopped taking it my ulcer would come back (my ulcers are not from bacteria). They came back and I began the medication again and I am fine now. You must take the medication all the time.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2008 10:01 PM

For : Carafate Suspension was prescribed by my doctor because of stomach problems caused by taking pain killers and anti-inflamatory drugs for knee injury. Already taking Omeprozole but it was not doing the trick. The carafate worked great. Realy calmed down the acid reflux.

October 27, 2008 11:31 AM

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: Carafate Suspension was prescribed by my doctor because of stomach problems caused by taking pain killers and anti-inflamatory drugs for knee injury. Already taking Omeprozole but it was not doing the trick. The carafate worked great. Realy calmed down the acid reflux.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2008 11:31 AM