User Reviews for Sucralfate

Also known as: Carafate

Learn more about Sucralfate.

Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis 1 reviews 28 medications

Stomach Ulcer 8 reviews 107 medications

6.9
Summary of Sucralfate reviews 31 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Sucralfate

For GERD: "I was diagnosed with bile reflux and GERD, the doctor prescribed me sucralfate to take 4 times a day and I didn't notice much difference, the only change I really observed was dry mouth. Then I started taking a pill every time my GERD would act up and it makes such a difference. It soothes the burning feeling almost instantly. There are a few minor side effects like dry mouth but it's worth it."

Emily_19 (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

For GERD: "GERD I used to think what's a bit of heartburn. This is a different league of pain altogether. ER & ambulances have gave me morphine such is the pain. Sucraflate not only gives my lower abdominal sphincter time to heal & absorb the blood it stops new bouts of acid attacks quick style. Don't take with omeprazole or anti acids & take something to loosen your stools."

ShockedShaun December 16, 2015

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "the most frustrating experience of my life trying to buy this medicine one month supply of pills $4.00 one month of suspension $526.99 Amazing right! The Dr. recommended the suspension but simply cannot afford it. I have been told so many things it is a nightmare. I have gerd but unable to afford suspension and no one offers any help. I had to take pills financially and will continue taking with hope they will work. I make a suspension 4 times a day and drink it"

triple R October 28, 2015

For GERD: "It works very well for stomach pain and fairly well at getting rid of acid, but it must be taken apart from alot of other meds. Also can make it harder to poop. Over all I love the drug"

stormy699 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 17, 2015

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "I had a serious problems with GERD. Chest pain, jaw pain, abdominal pain, and back pain caused from GERD makes me feel like I am dying, literally. I've been in the ER well over 4 times for this alone. I've been prescribed everything you can think of. I tried anything I could try to help this problem to no avail. The ONLY thing that helps with the chest pain is milk but it doesn't stop it completely it doesn't even touch the abdominal pain at all though and it's so excruciating that it is dibilitating. I'm 8 months pregnant now and I went in to labor and delivery with the worst abdominal pain I've ever felt in my life, prescribed carafate and works in 20 mins. Miracle drug for me."

Miracle drug September 20, 2015

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "GERD, Esophagitis, and a Hiatal Hernia. Take both Cimetidine and Prilosec daily and was still having heartburn. The emergency room gave me Carafate and it's wonderful. Not only does it stop heartburn in it's tracks, but it also prevents future bouts of heartburn. There are some rules on taking this medication, and those rules can be a bit of a pain if you are not used to them. You cannot take this medication within a half hour of taking any antacids. You also need to take it one hour before or two hours after eating. Swallowing the Carafate pill can be a little bit intimidating as when you swallow it, you get a choking sensation. Make sure to take it with plenty of ice water. Try to numb your throat with cold water prior to taking."

tellitlikeitis (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2015

For GERD: "In January 2014, I was diagnosed (after having an endoscopy and colonoscopy) with Acid Reflux and severe IBS. They put me on the usual PPI inhibitors and acid reducers. Two months later, I was in the ER with severe gastritis. The doctor ultimately concluded that some of the erosive spots in my stomach had turned into a stress ulcer (I'm a PhD student). He prescribed sucraflate. I cannot express enough gratitude in being prescribed this. After taking it for about three months, I was almost GERD, Ulcer, IBS free. So, I stopped taking it. For about 8 months I was fine, but some of my symptoms have started to reappear. Again, as soon as I took the sucraflate, I had almost immediate relief! If nothing works, take Sucraflate."

Life Saver! (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2015

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "I can almost eat/drink normally now that I'm on Carafate Suspension 4x per day. I only have a flare up 1-2x per month now, mainly when I've been eating poorly or have come into contact with bacteria, etc. I take it in conjunction with Nexium & Librax because I have acid reflux, bile reflux, irritable bowel syndrome and GERD."

B040289 February 9, 2015

For Duodenal Ulcer: "Immediate relief! I was diagnosed with a duodenal ulcer 14 months ago. A few months of antacids and it healed, but all of my symptoms recurred 4 months ago. My gastro said I had gastritis and gave me antacids again but they didn't do much at all: still burping all the time (waking 3-4 times/night to burp myself like a baby), stomach tenderness from swelling, faux hunger pangs, nausea. The very first sucralfate pill stopped all of that. I take it 3x/day an hour before meals, which is my prescription for the next 3 months. Also: I have an eating disorder that was constantly triggered by the fake feeling of hunger from my sore stomach. Since starting on this medication, my disorder is easier to manage."

HaPenny (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2015

For Duodenal Ulcer: "The sucrlafate has helped so much thank you."

aprilbelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2014

For Stomach Ulcer: "I tore ligaments in my ankle and was taking Motrin for about 6 weeks, I developed ulcers in my stomach. I couldn't eat and was severely nauseated for days. After a 10lb weight loss I decided to go to the ER. Carafate was prescribed and after the 3rd dose I felt so much better. I get a really dry mouth because of the Carafate, no constipation though."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2014

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "I had terrible stomach/esophagial and mid back pain. After a endoscopic procedure, I was found to have GERD, Barrett's esophagus & a small hiatial hernia. The Carafate & Dexilant worked well to calm down the esophagitis pain/spasms/inflammation. The Barrett's esophagus was detected using pathology and even though it was a very mild case, it is a serious disease and I will need a EGD performed yearly. The Dexilant has worked wonders also. The two medicines are working well together. I have not had any side effects from the Carafate. I take 1/2 to 1 tablet, as needed, up to 4 times/day. I chew it up and swallow with a small sip of water or you can dissolve it in water and drink it. Coats the stomach quicker. I have used it for 6 months."

SmokyMtnLady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2013

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: "Carafate worked miracles. I wasnt able to eat much while on it but it did stop the pain from my Ulcer. I didn't realize it but it did make me constipated and I was really gassy which in turn caused pain but I would rather have gassy pain then the pain from the ulcer."

Shaunaj (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2013

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: "Carafate worked really well in calming the pain. I didn't have a problem with constipation as I was unable to eat solid food at that point but after a couple of days of using it I was actually able to eat for the first time in weeks."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2013

For Stomach Ulcer: "I'm on Sucralfate now for over a month but my problems seem to come and go so I can't say it's really working (yet). Also, my stool is sometimes dark green which had me worried. The only place I'm reading about this side effect is here so I hope it's the medicine that's causing it."

Nisei (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2013

For GERD: "This medication is a must have for all with severe GERD. I have had major problems with GERD for the past 20 years. After having my gallbladder removed proton pump inhibitors stopped working, this is very common after gallbladder surgery as the bile is now in the stomach instead of being stored in the gallbladder. Sucralfate 3x a day is working wonders. If it's helping me it should help most anyone"

Gearth (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2012

For Stomach Ulcer: "Worked well for stomach ulcer but did not heal on its own. Needed the additional Nexium to reduce the acid. The combination works better than sucralfate by itself."

Anonymous April 5, 2012

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: "I have been on Carafate for almost 6 weeks for an ulcer. It has not helped me at all. I still have the extreme abdominal pain all night long. I was check for H pylori and it was negative. I had all kinds of ultrasounds done and they all came back fine. I was also given Dexilant to take. I take the Carafate 4 times a day and no luck for me. I am seeing another doctor today. It just is not working for me. And as others said, it does make you consipated for sure. I wish it worked for me like some of the others, but it is not."

tammykee March 20, 2012

For : "To all those with horrible skin reactions: ***The suspension contains red dye, which makes my throat close rapidly and causes skin reactions. Consider asking your doctor to switch you to the pill version (there is one by TEVA with no coloring at all.). So far this seems to be calming both reflux and pain."

Anonymous February 18, 2012

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "Face swelled, became red, peeled, and caused intense pain and itching simultaneously; eyes reddened and swelled to the point of almost closing; throat became sore; prednisone pack prescribed."

Anonymous February 13, 2012

For : "I had to stop after 10 days due to a rash all over my body. Hope after it goes away I can start on it again and use 2 a day instead of 4. I am on 2 Prevacid and 2 Zantac also. It worked great and for a week I was in heaven."

Anonymous February 9, 2012

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis: "I was in much discomfort; pain, burning. Felt like I had something caught in my throat. These symptoms all came back just after an Endoscope. We called the Doctor and he prescribed Carafate Suspension. The "fire" was put out immediately. It was so good to feel "NORMAL" again."

Anonymous June 9, 2011

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: "I have both an ulcer in my stomach as well as duodenitis (two ulcers in the upper part of my small intestine)--this was all discovered during my endoscopy. I was given this medication and am still on it...immediately I had dry mouth, mild headaches and that dizzy/vertigo feeling which I just thought were my sinuses acting up until I looked up the side effects. It's changed my bowel motions for sure, more towards constipation which then causes an upset stomach for me, mainly in the morning."

Miss Heath December 14, 2010

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: "This is a great medication for ulcer pain. But there is one major side effect that is intolerable, constipation. After using it for two days my stool was so hard that it took 2 Fleet water enema's and a mineral oil enema just to get the stool down. "

wnbck April 5, 2010

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: "I developed an ulcer after gastric bypass surgery. Carafate has worked quickly to relieve the volcano like feeling in my new stomach pouch."

YarnCrazy March 1, 2010