User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

"Been taking 25mg zoloft for 2 weeks. Due to non stop over thinking, paranoia and constant checking up on suspected cheating partner. This drug has enabled me to think clearly again and be able to end an unhappy relationship that I could not end before. I don't react or panic at the thought of being on my own anymore. Its great to feel balanced and even keeled with my thoughts. No real side effects, although I am more motivated at home and don't seem to have a huge appetite so lost some weight. I like this drug, its given me some sanity again however I am worried about the symptoms returning if I stop taking it."

jillyangus May 23, 2015

"Absolutely changed my life. I am a 20 year old female who has struggled with depression and irritability since roughly 13. I tried meditation, I tried the "power of positive thinking", I tried listening to podcasts, I tried counseling. Nothing helped me until zoloft. I've been taking zoloft for 5 weeks. I had minor side affects for the first couple days (looser stool, headaches, stomach aches) but nothing I couldn't handle and they went away after 2-3 days as I got used to the medication. I'm currently taking 50 mg and don't plan on increasing. I feel overall happier. I'm not as irritable and things that I used to hate (going to work) are no longer even bad. I feel more myself, and like I'm not afraid to be outgoing. Highly recommended"

B.A May 22, 2015

"This has been a life changer for me. I guess I never realized how depressed I actually was until I started on Zoloft. I'd been fighting it for years, forcing myself to get up and get by each day, but getting worse and worse (avoiding people, having problems talking, having horrible insomnia). Within a week of being on Zoloft I noticed a major difference. I actually feel optimistic about life for the first time in as long as I can remember. My relationships with my wife, family, friends, and coworkers have all improved dramatically. In short, I'm no longer depressed. I had some side effects over the first few days (restless legs, night sweats, a zonked out 'zombie' feeling) but they passed quickly."

HardLifeGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

"I just got back on it but use to take it for years and I was happiest when on Zoloft."

Tonton1965 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2015

"Hi I thought I would share my experience to help others make a good decision. 5 years ago I was diagnosed with a Panic Disorder, GAD, and Depression. My initial struggles ended up with me on Celexa. This drug did work but took a long time for to take effect. (4 months). Last September it finally just stopped working. I went through a major period of depression and withdrawls until I finally found Zoloft. I had immediate effects! It turned my life around I now have zero side effects. I do have some lingering anxiety but nothing I cant handle. Occasionally I take a clonazepam to settle my kettle."

EasyDoesItNS May 7, 2015

"I started Zoloft about 2 months ago. I was taking 25 mg to start, as I am very tiny. After about a month, I increased to 50 mg, and the results were felt within days. I'm not hitting my dangerous lows nearly as frequently, and when I do get upset, it feels tolerable. Yes, I still cry; no, I'm not happy all the time, but that's normal! For the first time in over 3 years, I understand what it feels like to be normal. PS-for those of you out there desperately looking for help, but not wanting to disappoint your loved ones who are opposed to taking psychiatric medication, do it for yourself. Here's what might happen: they don't work so you stop taking them, or they work and you never look back. Life is far too short to feel awful throughout it."

Cat - 20 yrs old April 25, 2015

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Pros: this drug gave me an energy boost that felt like it lifted my depression and increased my metabolism. My sleep schedule was normal, people said I was friendlier, and I had consistent appetite for healthy food. Cons: this drug took away my ability to have intimacy and perform any kind of exercise other than simple running on a treadmill. I could not play sports with any of my friends, because I would get lightheaded and faint, especially in the heat. I could not have a complete orgasm, and so that pretty much ruined sex for me. In summary, it treated several of my depression symptoms, but the things I had to give up due to side effects were not worth it. By the way, these side effects are a very common occurrence, not a surprise."

Steve Stevenson (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2015

"I have been on Zoloft for a bit now and am on a 50mg dose. I find it has made a world of difference. I was taking it after dinner and had real bad insomnia and buzzing etc. So I told my doctor and we changed the schedule so I started taking it in the morning and I sleep great at night. Zoloft has helped with my depression and anxiety. I haven't felt this great since I can't even remember when. If your having bad side effects like the insomnia talk to your doctor and change the times you take your meds."

2344415emz2626266 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2015

"Zoloft is a miracle. I was having panic attacks and anxiety and since taking them I feel so much better .I can sleep at night and wake up refreshed and feel I could climb a mountain. Truly a wonderful medicine."

sazz22 April 3, 2015

"I was on 100mg of Zoloft and started suffering from severe insomnia after being on it only 2months. Dr tappered me down to 50 mg and then done in a week, withdrawls were dinging head, zap and buzzing ears plus severe insomnia."

Need sugessions (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2015

"I've taken Zoloft off and on within the last 3 years. I do much better with it. I went from being so low that I couldn't take care of myself because of anxiety and depression. With Zoloft and better life circumstances I am doing much better. I'm actually happy! Right now I'm on 25 milligrams. Sometimes I'm on 50. When I had postpartum blues, 100 milligrams was necessary to feel positive."

red4 April 2, 2015

"I got put on this medication about 3 days ago and my first time taking it was in the morning. There are two side effects I've had, the first day taking it I felt kinda nauseous and I threw up, but after that I was completely fine! I also have had a decreased appetite, but in my opinion that's a good thing, considering I want to lose a bit of weight. I was suffering for major depression, and got put on this medicine because I was caught in the middle of attempting suicide. But since I've started this, I haven't had a single suicidal thought! I would definitely recommend this. Although ive been on it for just a few days, I already discover improvement."

Amazing! March 31, 2015

"Went on Zoloft after Celexa stopped working and I quit cold turkey(don't do!!) Made me feel 10x worse within days. Not for me. Now on Pristiq which helps but has horrible withdrawals if you skip or are too late for a pill."

Amr0k March 23, 2015

"Zoloft has been a lifesaver. Something that helps keep my crippling MDD and SAD at bay and make it through life normally. Even happier as this was the 1st antidepressant I tried and it worked! Also no side effects at all. Thank you God."

Mohammad_au (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My 14-year-old son suffers from major depressive disorder/social anxiety disorder. He was previously on lexapro for 10 months, which worked well for his symptoms but gradually stopped working. He was switched to Zoloft and increased from 25 mg to 50 mg after a week. Only 3 days into the 50 mg dose he reports much improvement in his depression symptoms. It doesnt control his anxiety symptoms as well (yet) but we are hoping that will change in the next few weeks. Overall, he feels better on Zoloft. Takes it in the evening due to initial side effect of headache."

Momiftwo March 7, 2015

"I was on Celexa for a year and it wasn't working for me. Then my doctor prescribed me Zoloft and it's my fourth day taking it and I love it. I finally have a clear head on my shoulders. And for the first time in a long time, I don't feel depressed at all. I would highly recommend this to anyone who suffers from depression."

Alliey (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2015

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine completely changed my life. Before I got on it, I was in deep depression and had a horrible chemical imbalance in my brain. I have been on this medicine for 2 months. This is wonderful. Now I'm more happy, smiling, and the chemicals in my brain are balanced. I did gain 3 pounds since on this although it was supposed to decrease appetite."

Codr (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2015

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Lately I've been having really bad panic attacks, migraines, night terrors/nightmares every night for three weeks I started Zoloft last night and it already started working within a night I'm more calm and feel like my old self already."

Zatch January 28, 2015

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"IT'S MY SAVIOR, I was in severe anxiety and depression for the last 6 months, it felt like there was no hope anymore, started taking Zoloft, and today is my 4th week. It's not that I don't feel depressed anymore, I FEEL HAPPY, enjoying every moment of life, I go to work full of motivation now, I feel like nothing can stress me out, you sound very confident in front of your colleagues. I am so thankful for this medicine, it gave me my potential, my efficiency and my life back. No significant side effects, other than weight gain."

Lou1985 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2015

193 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had depression since I can remember. Lost lots of relations because of it. Got on it eleven years ago and have more friends then ever."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 5, 2015

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Zoloft has been a life saver for me. I honestly don't know how I would've gotten through the past year without it. I had anxiety and depression, but after I started taking Zoloft, I was finally starting to feel myself again and my headaches have gone away. If you have moderate to severe anxiety and depression, I would highly recommend this. It truly saved me."

140756 December 25, 2014

214 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Sertraline for Moderate Depression which it was exceptionally good at diminishing. I have been taking it for just under 6 weeks for moderate depression, social anxiety and generalised anxiety. It worked for depression the best, by far; however, not half as good for the anxiety, perhaps because it requires a higher dose and longer intake. Definitely consider Sertraline for depression, its side effects were minimal (if any because it was so unnoticeable)."

Serenamine (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2014

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on sertraline for 4 weeks and a day, my dr started me on 50mg, then after 3 weeks and 3 days she upped my dosage to 100mg, I have felt the side effects so I know this medication is doing something, however, I don't feel any better for taking it, I thought by now it would kick in.."

Felinelover13 (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2014

"I always read these but never put on my own thoughts. I'm a 27 year old female with 2 young beautiful girls, and a very loving husband. It all sounds so perfect but my mood is far from that. I've been suffering silently with depression for years but only spoke to my doctor 6 months ago. 50mg made me worse, my mood was lower than before, shakes, heart palpitations etc but after a week, all side effects stopped but my mood was still lower than ever. Upped too 100mg, felt slightly better. Upped again to 150mg still felt better but then all of a sudden my depression got so much worse than it has ever been. Now on 200mg, still feel so low & down & zombified. Can't make decisions, just numb. "

JerseyLeighx (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started to develop depression around puberty, over the years it became more and more intense. Some days I would cry and have to leave school, around two years ago my Doctor put me on 50mg of Zoloft. The first few weeks were a wreck, I had terrible nausea, was tired all the time, could barely eat, and some days I would experience a zombie feeling. After the Zoloft started to kick in the side effects subsided. I went through bouts of not taking it and then I would feel bad and start taking it again, every time I went back on the pill the stomach pains increased to were I would eat once every other day. Since then I have been put on a new medication that I hope starts kicking in. All in all Zoloft was amazing, if you stick to it."

Toxica (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 20, 2014