User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

Review by Sig (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Generic Sertraline gave me some relief but it made me jittery and gave me headaches. After reading testimonials I insisted on the name brand Zoloft. so glad I did. It's like a completely different medicine. More relaxed and not full of negative thinking. I still get overly anxious if something stressful happens but it doesn't last long. Side effects are more tolerable, though it does make me tired.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 2:11 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been on sertraline for almost a year now. On the 25mg I didn't notice any kind of difference. I was suffering from major depression, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts. My dr bumped me up to a 50mg dose & have stayed here for about 8 months now. My girlfriend calls it my "happy pills" because when I forget to take a dose or two, everyone can tell.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 4:58 PM

Review by scotty888 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been reading a lot of reviews on this site, let me tell those that are new to this or thinking of going on sertraline. I have horrible side effects with medication and got serotonin syndrome on citalopram. I was scared to death of going on sertraline. I'm on day 17 on 50mg and I honestly say I've not had one single side effect at all. Its starting to hit me and I feel amazing. 100 times better than having anxiety. Wow

October 16, 2014 8:12 AM

Review by JoseeD (taken for 5 to 10 years):

It saved my life. It was the perfect medicine for me, except for chronic constipation. Went to the hospital for the constipation (I did not know it was caused by Zoloft at the time), and they found I had appendicitis, which ruptured while I was waiting at the hospital, and also that I had kidney cancer, so got 2 surgeries, 1 for the ruptured appendicitis and 1 to take away my left kidney. Had it not been for the Zoloft, I would be dead. I of course had to change medicines and go the second choice prescribed by the psychiatrist. It works, but not as well as the Zoloft, unfortunately. Zoloft is excellent, and if it was not for chronic constipation, I'd be back on it. Good luck all.

September 19, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by JohnnyBoi453 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm 19 and Zoloft has been a LIFESAVER for me! I've had very bad generalized anxiety, social anxiety, panic attacks, and mild depression. I recently had been on Xanax then Klonopin as needed, but I felt as if those types of medications wouldn't help me in the long run. I've been on 25 mg of Zoloft for a month and a half, and I feel WONDERFUL! The horrible, disabling anxiety I once had is almost nonexistent, and my depression melted away! My mood is stabilized, I have a lot of energy, focusing on school work is a synch, and I interact with others with confidence. Yes, I feel like a totally renewed, cleansed person with a constant sense of motivation! Zoloft saved my life! Little to no side effects either. Very mild antidepressant.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 7:50 PM

Review by Gazz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Been on this medicine for 2 months 50 mg, feel so much better and much more relaxed. So much better than Prozac which made me very full of anxiety.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2014 8:09 AM

Review by Lola Jane:

Max dose needed for effect but working great . A bit of weight gain but tolerable . Helps me sleep better

August 26, 2014 10:57 PM

Review by loknath:

Zoloft is really good.

July 5, 2014 8:38 AM

Review by Kieare (taken for less than 1 month):

I have anxiety and depression. I was really against taking medication so I tried to resolve my issues myself. Needless to say, it never worked. I had been going through periods of depersonalization, feeling extremely down, suicidal and hopeless. I really thought life wasn't worth living anymore. It got so bad that I ended up in the hospital. I started taking 50 mg Zoloft and honestly it has been a life changer. I don't experience depersonalization anymore. My mood has been lifted so much that I don't feel down anymore, suicidal or hopeless. If you're afraid to take medicines please just give it a try. You won't regret it. Celexa didn't work for me, but I was determined to find a medicine that would. The key is to be patient.

201 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 8:57 AM

Review by Collegeguy123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

20 year old male. After failing 2 of my college classes in one semester, decided it was time to do something about my increasing depression. Doctor started me on Zoloft. Took about 4 weeks to start to notice the effects. Occasional shakes. Memory loss was frequent. Immediately noticed a decrease in sex drive and wasn't a problem until I started dating again and couldn't get it up the first time I got with my current girlfriend. Luckily she is understanding. My doctor is switching me to Wellbutrin. If it wasn't for the decreased sex drive I probably would have stayed on it.

June 20, 2014 1:03 AM

Review by sedonagreg (taken for less than 1 month):

It took a couple weeks to notice any positive affects. It does help with depression. The big negative is the loss of the ability to achieve an orgasm.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Michibelle:

I was suffering from being a slave to my negative thoughts, making assumptions about my relationship that my partner was cheating on me or having a secret life, constantly being controlling over where things go in the house, how things should be, really severe mood swings and ridiculous anger which I would ignite a lot of arguments and have the urge to get physical and just completely lose it and not think rationally. My marriage was on the verge of failure due to my negative actions and my husband was at his breaking point. My doc prescribed me 50mg of Zoloft and I finally started it, I'm on week 2 and I feel incredibly calm, content and full of life again. I feel like I can handle situation in a positive manner.

301 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2014 8:13 PM

Review by Blue rose (taken for 1 to 6 months):

On 50mg for 4 weeks then increased to 100mg for depression, panic attacks and obsessional thinking. I had few side effects, a slight hand tremor, yawning and difficulty sleeping. The only thing that lingered was the insomnia, but now that has settled down and I sleep okay. I feel so much better, panic attacks gone, obsessive compulsive disorder gone and my mood is lifting daily. I am enjoying life again and this medicine has been so right for me.

157 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by Milan**:

After years of trying different medications sertraline has finally been the most useful and compatible one for me. If only I had found this years ago as it has lifted my depression, improved my social skills and eased my obsessive compulsive disorder symptoms (would trigger after anxiety).

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2014 6:31 AM

Review by perezmama (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 24 years old and have a 14 week old son. I have fought with depression most of my life due to childhood and what not. After having my son everything came crashing down. I was on the brink of a divorce and suicidal. So I ask my Dr, he put me on 50mg of Zoloft and I'm now on day 4. Side effects for me are headache, tired, dizzy nausea. But I'm sticking to it hoping those will go away. My mood is so much better.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 3:11 PM

Review by Boy Wonder:

I took for 8 weeks, 53 year old male. I moved to a new town for job. It is pretty depressing when you don't know anyone. Zoloft 50 mg. First night NO sleep. Started taking at night with Ambien. I sleep for about 5 hours then I'm up at 3 am. Major side effects: inability to orgasm, clenched teeth, restless legs, trembling, loss of appetite, diarhea and sweating. First week was nausea, trembling but emotions were better. After 8 weeks, I think the side effects aren't worth the benefit. Quit cold turkey 4 days now. No major problems. Teeth clench still but, not as bad.

April 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by WanderingMind7:

Zoloft. You made me REALIZE, I've been locked out of HEAVEN for too long (I've been dancing and cleaning on this Bruno Mars song all morning). That's how I feel on my medication! I'm on day 4 of 50 mg and I'm supposed to increase it to 100mg after 10 days. I have been having side effects since the first day such as shaking, abdominal pain, insomnia but nothing too major compared too what the "Beast" (yes! I call my anxiety the beast hehe) had me endure before. So I really don't mind those side effects because I know what's ahead of me is going to be spectacular. I've never had so much faith in my life before, at least not that I remember.

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 11:56 AM

Review by Slogg:

After a month of bouncing between morning and night dosing of 1 50mg pill, I settled on morning. It was making me super sleepy but that went away mostly. Didn't gain but maybe 5lbs if that (I'm a gym rat somewhat). Felt really stoned the first week or so and sleeping was strange, maybe a little erectile dysfunction at first, but all of that went away too. A month in and the side effects are minimal. The panic is under control, but the depression is completely gone. THANKS A MILLION ZOLOFT.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2014 10:44 AM

Review by anonymous from ca (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've dealt with many periods of depression in my life, but I hit an all-time low a year and a half ago culminating in a suicide attempt. This medication helped me get back on my feet. I started with a low dose (25mg/day-I'm small and female) and have slowly increased to the normal dosage my doctor prescribes for adults (50mg/day). I went off of it for two months after five months of taking it and fell back into depression. Went back on it and have been fine since. I don't think I will stop again for a while. Only problems are occasional insomnia and inability to orgasm anymore.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by Out of control (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been unemployed now for three years and things have gone from bad to worse. I found myself losing control of my temper and crying for no reason or if someone said something that negative. I couldn't sleep and when I did it was for two hours at a time. Sometimes I would stay up just crying. To add to my problems my back pain were getting worse. Doctor diagnose me with depression and gave me Zoloft. I started at 25mg for four days and then up to 50mg. It has been only a week, but I am not crying unexpectedly and feel calmer than I have in quite a while and have actually slept 5 hours straight. I had no side effects.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by anonymous1997:

I'm 16, and over the course of a few months I started becoming more and more depressed and anxious, after trying a few other medications along with none at all (only therapy), I started taking Zoloft as it has helped others in my family. The first 10 days (started at 25mg) were horrible, suicidal thoughts, no appetite, headaches and terrible anxiety but once I hit 2 weeks I felt so much better. I'm now 6 weeks in and on 75mg, I feel amazing, still get headaches but I'm not sure if it's related, I feel almost 100% myself, I'll give it a few more weeks and see if I need to maybe get to 100mg but honestly this medication saved my life.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2014 10:46 PM

Review by Gypsy heart:

I saw my doctor after the anxiety I'd been having the last year hit an all time high in the last six months. I would wake up wondering "Why? What am I even here for? what am I working for?" I suffered severe muscle tension in my shoulders and lower back, extreme irritability/mood swings & panic attacks..my heart would be POUNDING as if I'd run a 5k when really I was just lying in bed. It is day two of taking Zoloft...I'm singing (still terribly) to songs again. I feel I have gained the sense of "normal" that my life has always lacked. I am more clear-headed and find rational thinking easier. My depression and anxiety was destroying my relationships. I'm beginning to see this "light at the end of the tunnel" people speak of. 50mg a day.

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2014 2:22 AM

Review by resji (taken for less than 1 month):

Diarrhea, uncontrollable muscle spasms, severe panic attacks, severe anxiety, severe restlessness, sweating, and bruising is all this medication did to me.

January 19, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by Anxiety, Depression (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking Zoloft about a month ago, in the first week i had some diarrhea and experienced some insomnia, but it soon disappeared. Within three weeks my depression and anxiety subsided. This medication changed my life.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by Buckythecat (taken for 10 years or more):

I have to say that Zoloft saved my life. I have been on it for over 10 years but about a year and half ago I switched to another pill just to try it. WHY I don't know, should have never left Zoloft. I then started to take a muscle relaxer for a sore shoulder, BE VERY CAREFUL in taking other medications with any antidepressants. The dread, the worthlessness the crying all came back. Back on Zoloft for about a week and I can function once again. THANK YOU ZOLOFT.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2014 1:59 PM