User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

"My depression began slowly at first, then all at once I couldn't bear myself anymore. I am a sophomore in college (female). In the evenings and going on into the night, my mood dropped so fast and I would get so sad over nothing. After talking to a counsellor, and making the tough choice to medicate, she put me on a starting dose of 50 MG Zoloft. After taking the first pill, I was doing some research and had myself so freaked out that night that the side effects would be awful. I was so worried I would have to skip work or class. I have been on the medication a few weeks now and I had zero problems! I could not be more impressed. My moods are already stabilizing and I feel so much better already! Good luck to anyone starting!!"

collegekid (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2016

"I was diagnosed with depression about 6 months ago and started with a very low dose of prozac. About 3 months later I was institutionalized and switched to Zoloft. Most of the people there for depression were on it and it worked for them. However, it does not work for me at all. I've been on 100 mg for about 2 months and I feel jittery when I sit for too long or when I'm trying to sleep, I get really grouchy and rude (which is unusual for me) , and things that only bothered me before make me really depressed."

Kendalld January 29, 2016

"This Zoloft really help me in my time of struggle when I was diagnosed with cancer.Zoloft became my best friend."

Semone (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

"I was put on Zoloft a few years ago when I became very depressed (I also have anxiety and have had it pretty much my whole life which made it worse) and I've been on it ever since. I feel much better now about myself and my perspectives on things however I don't know if it was from the drug, time or therapy especially because I was finally feeling more in control of myself and my thoughts last year. So if it was Zoloft then it took a while for it to kick in for me I guess ? My doctor did say that in some patients it does nothing and in others it does so who knows ! However whether It's working for me or not I feel good right now and it's not having any long term side affects on me so I can stay on as long as I want "

Graceelizabeeth (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2016

"This medication has given me my life back. For months I walked around in a haze, had trouble focusing, getting out (and staying out) of bed, and would sleep for 18 hours. My social life suffered, my grades suffered, I would cry all the time, had trouble communicating, or wanting to be literally anywhere but in bed. I started on 50mg for a little over a month and while things slightly improved, it wasn't enough. I should also mention the side effects in the first week were terrible - brain fog, sleepiness, just general haziness... terrible. Overall, I was still depressed just... less. My doctor and I agreed to increase the dose to 75mg and this is an amazing medication. I can get out of bed, I can cook/shower/do laundry again, and I have done more school work in the past two weeks than I have for months. I can socialize and talk again, I don%u2019t cry as easily, I wake up and don%u2019t dread the day ahead. I feel human again, this is amazing. Only side effect I%u2019ve noticed is I%u2019ll occasionally have a dry mouth but it%u2019s very minor. Highly recommend!"

uni student (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2016

"My doctor started me on Zoloft for longstanding low-level depression that was increasing due to menopause, and for possible migraine prevention. It did nothing for the migraines, but it has definitely improved my mood. I started on a 50 mg dose and the doctor had me increase it to 100 mg after a few weeks. Still no migraine relief, but I the holidays didn't depress me as they always have since my father passed away. I did notice trouble sleeping, but taking it in the morning instead of at night helps with that. Also a slight weight gain. I might try going back to 50 mg if the doctor okays it. It seemed to be enough, and I don't want to over-medicate."

WillametteBearcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

"I've never taken antidepressants before (I'm 19). Back in November I started Zoloft at 25 mg for one week. I felt good, my energy was high. But after about 5 of those days, I got bad headaches. Then I started my 50 mg dose. I was even more depressed. I stayed in bed all day. I had panic episodes more frequently. I barely ate, I lost close to 10 pounds which really scared me. I couldn't take care of myself. I thought I was losing myself. Then I was told to go back to 25 mg. I felt better, less of a lump, but I was still having depressed feelings. I got off zoloft back in December. Consult your doctor before completely cutting off! I hope my Dr. will prescribe me something else..."

RhiRipley (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2016

"On Zolft 25 mg / day and my anxiety attacks have stopped. I haven't woken up depressed (used to wake up depressed and stay in bed) or had suicidal thoughts (had suicidal thoughts almost daily.) It's like this medicine has filled in the blanks for me. I don't feel high or euphoric or excited or anything other than what I think normal must feel like. It's quite a change from what I was used to, nonstop anxiety, depression and I was always thinking about suicide but all that has stopped and is a thing of the past. I can't even believe I was feeling like that. I now know that something was wrong with my brain and this medicine has fixed it for me. I am so happy to wake up not feeling sad."

Chocolatechipcookiesandmilk! (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

"I've been suffering with depression coupled with anxiety for over 10 years. Its been hell ruining every aspect of my life (loss of relationships, my business etc.) After seeing so many psychiatrists I had lost hope and was getting very close to ending my life so tried to get help one more time. For the first time I met a young Doctor who listened. He prescribed me Zoloft 50mg. The change = I left my house within 2 weeks (major agoraphobia for 8 months) started talking to people, going out again with friends, preparing to launch my business again and I feel happy. Not manic, HAPPY and measured. I'm praying that I stay this way. There is hope out there. Don't give up guys. :)"

George1972 December 18, 2015

"been on Zoloft 3-4 months. The usual side effects. Worst insomnia when I upped the dose from 50 to 100mg, which lasted about 2-3 weeks . Insomnia returned when I upped to 150mg, but not as bad. I am at 150mg. I take it at 5-6am now, which knocks me out and I sleep additional 1-2 hours, in a very relaxed state. I kind of use it as a morning sleeping pill. If I take zoloft at 10pm, it has opposite effect and I can't sleep. Depression is mostly gone, generalized anxiety is completely gone, social anxiety is reduced significantly. It took 2 month for the anxiety to go away. For public speech I still use 40mg propranolol 1 hour before the event, and the results are overall great."

jorge j (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

"My psychiatrist started me on 25 mg for a month and then upped my dose to 50 mg for my anxiety. I have to say that I'm doing great. The only side effects I had was diarrhea which only lasted for a couple of days. Now the only thing I have is tingling feeling in my legs but other than that Zoloft is a life saver. Going on two months with this medication."

Jazzy1975 December 3, 2015

"taken Sertraline (Zoloft) for 25 years 100mg/day - 15 years ago decided to wean off which I did slowly for three month. The 2 months I was totally off before could be seen by psychiatrist were absolutely miserable. Took longer to get back to feeling good the second time. It is inexpensive and covered by small deductible with insurance. One significant negative: because of the initial very "high" I got from it for about two weeks, my psychiatrist put me on 1mg Lorazepam (Ativan) as a sleeping aid - unfortunately Ativan dependency common and I have bad dreams and sleepless nights without it! - Ativan highly regulated drug but fortunately also cheap/covered by insurance - so Zoloft plus Ativan excellent combo for me for rest of my life - feel great!"

MHR November 29, 2015

"I just started Zoloft 2 weeks ago and have noticed an immense change in how I've been feeling. I used to be very sad and anxious about my relationship that ended badly, and I would binge eat lots of bread and bagels. Since taking it, I've had this new outlook on life.... I've been content with everything. A simple inner peace. I used to be obsessive about my weight (combined with the binge eating, it was a messy combination.) but since then I've been able to eat balanced and not even weigh myself (used to weigh myself compulsively) I've had greater self confidence and wake up every morning excited for my day. I no longer have the crazy anxieties I used to about getting crazy life threatening illnesses. zoloft has been incredible for me."

Zoloftlover (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2015

"I been on sertraline hcl 25 mg for a long time and it helped me through the car accident that mom and I was in. I was still taking sertraline when my grandma died and it helped me get through the toughest time of my life. Sertraline makes me a brand new person out of me. sertraline is the best."

SANDY BRABSON November 28, 2015

"Everyone's Experience with a drug will be different. In my case, being a 6ft, 170 pound male with depression on 50mg of zoloft , I had a good experience. It wont be the same for everyone but you have to hang in there until you find the right medication. I tried lexapro previously 10mg and it was too intense for me. Zoloft is a little bit softer and less intense (for me anyway) . The first two weeks sucked , I had increased anxiety and it was hard to sleep but it was worth it. I was going through withdrawal syndrome from lexapro (i stopped taking it) and the zoloft cured me in about 3 days. it has helped my depression alot, and a little bit of my anxiety. I want to stay on 50mg as long as possible and i am hoping this will last. I"

Zoloft Fan (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2015

"I was put on sertraline six years ago after my previous SSRI, Luvox, became ineffective. I have found it effective at controlling my depression and anxiety, but there have been some major drawbacks. Primarily, I find myself unable to achieve orgasm during intercourse. Also, earlier this summer, I tried reducing my dosage from 150 mg to 100 mg - and I got a taste of SSRI withdrawal syndrome, which really, really, really sucks - a veritable hell on earth. I am currently looking into changing to a better tolerated drug."

Rigoletto (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 17, 2015

"Zoloft has been a complete hell for two months and a half. I've tried to up the dose to 75 as I was taking 50. With no results, but it made me dizzy to the point I couldn't drive, nauseous and exhausted. Also, this medication has increased my social phobia. A complete hell. To those thinking on taking Zoloft, please consider other options. I've never felt so bad in my entire life. Now changing to Prozac."

Coolchickzzzz75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2015

"I worry all day every day non stop but when I take Zoloft it calms my mind and I am also less angry...It gives me such a piece of mind from my overwhelming thoughts everyday."

CoolkidClassic November 1, 2015

"Zoloft did NOTHING for me....would not recommend it."

Shay810 October 17, 2015

"I've been on Zoloft for 3 months now. Initially, I suffered from side effects such as shivering, loss of appetite, drowsiness, and insomnia. These symptoms lasted for about three days. I was scared at first and planned on trying another medication for anxiety. However, I called my cousin who is a nurse and she told me to try cutting the pill in half. I took my cousins advice and cut the pill in half, taking only 25mg a day which works really well for me.I'm 5'4, 130lbs. I no longer suffer from anxiety, after taking Zoloft that I realized that I was suffering from depression. Zoloft alleviates my anxiety and has greatly helped with my depression, I now feel more happy and motivated to do things right away without procrastinating. Life changer!"

Hope-4ull (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication worked great for the situational issue I had been in but the withdrawl side effects that you're not told about were not worth it. I tried tapering off of it very SLOWLY 5 or 6 times and failed every time because the withdraw side effects were that terrible. I eventually got off of 100mg and it took about 2-3 months. I used a nail file to taper my doses with an astronomically high amount of B12 and Omega fish oils. I recommend seeing an Iridologist before going to a doctor for meds."

Ashx September 29, 2015

"Worst experience I've ever had on any medication. My doctor started me on a small dose. Within 30 minutes of taking it, I felt a buzzing in my head and a fuzzy, numb feeling. Then, about an hour later, the really bad side effects kicked in. My heart started racing and feeling like it was going to explode. I started hearing voices. I felt so bad I almost called 911 -- I couldn't even stand up or lay down -- just laid propped up on the couch for about 24 hours until the effects started wearing off. It was the scariest experience I've ever had and made me afraid to take any other anti-depressant."

F.J.W. September 27, 2015

"I've suffered with anxiety for years but finally came to a head a few years ago. Had some personal family issues that became overwhelming. I was always mad, sad, frustrated, you name it and that was me. My brain could not stop thinking about my problems. It was very tiring. I finally went to the doctor and he prescribed Zolft 25 mg. For the first few days I felt like brain waves going on in my head but no big deal. Within 2 weeks I started feeling happy! A few months later the doctor put me up to 50 mg. I felt the brain waves again for about 48 hours and then stopped. I've been on Zolft for about one year. It was the best thing I could have done for myself. Oh I can still get mad or sad but not as severe or for as long."

L.R. (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 1, 2015

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My Healthcare Provider switched my 20mg daily dose of Lexapro to Zoloft. I was to completely stop Lexapro and begin Zoloft with a dose of 200 mg daily. That was 6 months ago. I am not having a good experience with Zoloft. My dosage was adjusted down over a period of 3 weeks to 50 mg. My mind was constantly whirling with anxiety, my mood was total chaos, swinging from depressed to mad. My alcohol consumption was increased both by quantity and frequency. My appetite increased in the frequency of hunger and the amount of food I consume, but I never seem to hit the full feeling. I am seesawing between 100 to 200 mg daily at this time, trying to totally stop Zoloft. Main reasons; weight gain (30lbs in 4 months ) & increased alcohol craving"

Spirits August 5, 2015

"Many years in pain ....Zoloft saved me . Side Effects -Minor Relief From Depression - Tremendous Been on it for over 15 years . Started at 50mg per day , now 150 per day . Thankyou Pfizer ...for giving me my life back ."

RP Dee July 19, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next