Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Depression

Review by Jenjenjen: User Rating:

Fastest working antidepressant I have ever tried, decreased my voracious appetite.

September 18, 2011 12:05 AM
Review by Koalamaiden: User Rating:

I have been on Zoloft several times. The only side effect was the "runs" which is fine you can take anti-diarrhea medication. I am also on Epilim, I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar which in itself is a good thing. No antidepressant worked for me, I was always low. And off them I was both hyper and low. It was horrible, then the anxiety kicked in. So that's why I am glad to be finally diagnosed as at least I can get help and proper treatment. Zoloft is brilliant for anxiety, but it didn't stop the bad lows and I was so tired. But no side effects whatsoever, well only the runs - which you learn to live with.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 11, 2011 3:26 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I started taking Zoloft when I was 16. I was sent to the hospital twice for suicidal actions and my doctors upped my initial dose from 25mg to 200mg. I was supposed to go up to 300mg but I was really sick of the dosage being upped and nothing happening. To be completely honest, it took 2-3 months to kick in for me. I've been diagnosed with psychotic depression/possibly schizophrenia spectrum. Now that the medicine has had some time to work into my system, I've felt much better. Not 100% my old self, but capable of functioning and taking care of myself. I wasn't able to get out of bed for days on end at my worst. The side effects are totally manageable and worth it. My psychosis apparently calms down when I'm feeling less down which is a relief.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 4, 2011 9:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

A real life changing medicine, depression gone. Social anxiety greatly improved. 100mg daily for 3 months. Minimal side effects. Also taking 1mg Klonopin daily for anxiety.

September 2, 2011 6:49 PM
Review by clannad: User Rating:

I have been on and off Zoloft (Lustral) for about 8 years. My usual dose is 200mg but every time I try to come off them depression comes back with a vengeance. I have severe treatment resistant depression and have had over 60 ECT treatments. Zoloft has been the only antidepressant which has helped me in any way and believe me I have been on them all. But as everyone is different I can't say it will necessarily be the one for you but in my experience of all the tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs and MAOI's, Zoloft has far outweighed the others. As I'm here just thought I'd mention that I am also on a new antidepressant called Valdoxan which is very new and also very good. It is available in Europe but I'm not sure if its available in the United States yet. Good luck.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 11, 2011 1:57 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I started taking this medication 9 months ago for depression and anxiety. Before this I would cry for hours a day, couldn't focus to study or write papers (I am a senior nursing student), and was becoming suicidal. The first few weeks of the medication was terrible, because I was waiting for it to kick in and I had some side effects. I felt nauseous and I couldn't stop moving. I'd shake my leg if I was sitting down and pace the hall for hours at night. However, once I got past the first few weeks, things got much better. I started noticing a change in my mood in about 6 weeks, which is a long time to wait, but it was worth it. I feel like myself again.

August 2, 2011 3:42 PM
Review by MelisAnn: User Rating:

I wish I would have taken this medicine years ago. It took my life imploding (breakup with fiance who I truly love) to open my eyes. He couldn't deal with my extreme mood swings, irrational jealousy and constant negative thoughts anymore. I started taking Zoloft by recommendation of a new doctor, taking 100mg. I have now been taking it for 5 weeks and it is amazing. I actually noticed a difference within 2 days. Its like I used to have a constant negative "soundtrack" running through my head all the time. It's like all those negative things came to a screeching halt. I still feel and care, but I don't have this negative down feeling any more like I did. It is amazing, I feel like life and the world is bright and good again.

July 26, 2011 2:41 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Taken it for a long time. It is the only thing that works for me.

July 25, 2011 1:40 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been taking Zoloft for about a year and a half now. I previously used Celexa, Lexapro and Paxil. So I gave Zoloft a try. Without a doubt, 100mg Zoloft once daily has been a blessing for me. My moods are much more stable. My urges to pull my hair, my obsessive compulsive behavior and my anxiety/panic has dropped dramatically. I used to worry myself sick about every little thing. So much so, that I would feel anxiety before the most mundane of events such as standing in line at the movies or other things that no rational person would panic about. No major side effects to mention other than I find being in direct sunlight for extended periods makes me feel like my skin is crawling. Small price to pay for my sanity, peace of mind and my happiness.

July 22, 2011 3:41 PM
Review by usb304: User Rating:

I am taking Zoloft 50 mg since more than 10 years, to deal with depression. My only problem is that I get SLEEP FULL OF DREAMS ONLY. My Doctors have tried a lot by giving many different sleeping medications, but all in vain. I have come across a couple of patients with the same problem. In case any of you have faced the same problem, please share your experience. If you have been able to solve this problem (of sleep full of dreams), please let me know how. Thanks.

June 16, 2011 12:21 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I hadn't found an anti-depressant that worked until my OB put me on Zoloft towards the end of my pregnancy. All others made me suicidal and I am already diagnosed as a manic depressive. Zoloft is amazing with the exception of the yawns and difficulty having an orgasm. But it's all worth it to have a medicine that actually works.

June 14, 2011 2:21 AM
Review by GonzoTheGreat: User Rating:

I started Zoloft just two months ago. I had been depressed for nearly two years. It got to the point of planning a suicide. I decided to go get help and give life one more shot. The doctor prescribed Zoloft to me and it has made all the difference. I really started noticing a change after the first month. There's a complete change in my attitude and outlook on life. It may have saved my life.

June 9, 2011 7:47 AM
Review by Tee pea: User Rating:

When I started taking Zoloft I lost 40 pounds in three months which was GREAT. My depression got better, anxiety was better. I did lose my sex drive but who cares, my self esteem was GREAT. Zoloft saved me.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 6, 2011 8:37 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I started taking this medicine when I was 16. I am 26 now. Right now I take 100mgs. I was an unhappy teenager and I can't say it did anything for me at that point in my life (but I was only taking 50mgs then). I stayed on Zoloft all through college and only went off of it for about 6 months, at the urging of a boyfriend at the time. Those months were bad. I tried everything to feel better (exercise, meditation, different activities) but I always felt like there was blackness hanging over everything. I couldn't function socially and became rather reclusive. With the help of my therapist and psychiatrist, I went back on Zoloft and my depressive symptoms decreased dramatically. I have been on Zoloft for 10 years now so it's just a part of my life. I get sad sometimes, but when I get hopeless feelings I can process them more easily. It's hard for me to imagine life without Zoloft, but I hope to someday regulate my depression with a therapist and go off of it. That said, I don't really have any side-effects to speak of. Sometimes I have a low sex drive, but its only at certain times of the month, like before my period. However, having a diminished sex drive on antidepressants is easier than not having any drive whatsoever when you are off them. To me, taking Zoloft is almost like taking a vitamin. It's no big deal.

June 3, 2011 4:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was just prescribed this medication for GAD and Moderate Depression. My Doctor suggested 25mg once a night. I accidentally took 50mg the very first dose but I feel fine. It took me a little while to fall asleep last night and I feel a bit drowsy but I am writing this from work so obviously I'm still functioning normally. I realize that Zoloft will affect everyone differently and I am very nervous/excited about its potential to help me. I'm hoping that in time I will feel less tired. I take Vitamin B 12 shots every few weeks so that should help too. I've never taken any prescriptions before now so I was very nervous about this whole thing. The reviews have been helpful though, I wish you all the very best of luck with your treatments.

May 28, 2011 1:03 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been taking Zoloft for about a week now and its made me nervous, dizzy, almost emotionally dead (though that might be because of the Depakote) and has really increased my psychosis to the point of where as an addition to hearing voices I have been hearing music when there should not be any music, oh and dry mouth. I'm going to give it some more time but if these symptoms continue I will stop. I've read a lot of positive reviews though and I don't react well towards many medication.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 6, 2011 7:57 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I wanted to share my experience with Zoloft because I came to this website looking for reviews when I first started. I had my doubts at first, my doctor started me out slow at 50mg. Now I am up to 150mg. It has taken a good 5 weeks for me to finally feel a change. I actually woke up in a good mood the past few days. Let me tell you I spent a lot of days staying in my sweats all day watching TV thinking I was never going to feel better. For me it just took a really long time to take effect. The only side effect I have had is in the bedroom dept. Takes FOREVER if at all to have any fireworks go off for me, which was never a problem. Its really weird, but other than that no other side effects. I hope to feel even better each day.

April 9, 2011 3:21 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

The first week was rough, but this medicine has totally changed my life. I'm confident, I go out and do things. Life is enjoyable and I feel optimistic about the future. No more random panic attacks or feelings of worthlessness. Sometimes people say I'm too easy going but I can be serious when needed; basically I'm in control again. Been on it for 4 years (50mg daily) and may never go off it. Have noticed some weight gain and hot flashes in extremely stressful/confrontational situations.

March 30, 2011 11:26 AM
Review by MOMMIE DEAREST: User Rating:

I have been suffering from depression for 22 years. I am 41. Zoloft has helped me tremendously. I was always angry, tired, frustrated and had a hard time getting out of bed. With Zoloft I'm more sociable, friendlier and appreciative of the things that seemed insignificant. Every story is different, try it for yourself.

March 29, 2011 10:26 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have depression and anxiety, lately more depression, from being 40, with kids, uncomfortable marriage. Lexapro has suppressed things but I had become unemotional. On 50mg for a week now of Zoloft and the difference is incredible! I have reasonable emotions, and more energy to want to do the things I planned on but didn't do before. Sleeping is off and on a problem, has always been, but dreams are waking me up for being so vivid. Appetite is down, I'm glad. I had been steadily gaining weight because I didn't want to do anything, but now stomach is bad and I'm scared to go anywhere. Hoping that will go away. Can't say much about sex, not having any.

March 28, 2011 2:05 PM
Review by sesamestreetfan: User Rating:

I started Zoloft before my 3rd child was born. I've had depression throughout my life and a major breakdown after my 1st child's birth. Noticed an improvement within days, and husband noticed huge diff. Dry mouth and increased appetite has cycled through the years on occasion. But the big side effect for me was insomnia. I thought it was my little one getting me up every 2 hours, but realized that taking the medicine at night was the cause. Switching to morning dose made such a difference. I do notice I don't sleep well if I take it after noon or 1pm. Some family members had tried it with no success. Give dosage and timing a chance. It has literally saved my life. I still feel emotional at times, but can cope with issues and heaviness in life has eased.

March 18, 2011 1:33 PM
Review by shalla: User Rating:

I've been taking Zoloft for 6 months now...began at 25mg. and worked up to 75 mg. I'm a person who hates being on medicines, so I tapered off to 50 mg and then tried to go back down to 25 mg. Unfortunately the symptoms came back, racing pulse and anxiety. I'm now back at 50 mg and feel even keel. It has been humbling for me to admit that I need this medication and I dislike how it makes you feel dependent on it, but I also realize it is doing its job. I have lost 5-10 pounds since starting it. The first few weeks I was in a fog and suffered horrible headaches and nausea, but per my doctor's words those symptoms did subside. I've not had a single panic attack since starting Zoloft.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 14, 2011 10:41 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Took this for 10 months. Finally switched to another medication since I didn't notice any benefits.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 8, 2011 11:19 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been taking 200mg Zoloft for the past 3 and 1/2 months (started 5 months ago) for (severe) depression and social anxiety disorder as well as other (less severe) conditions. I think this medicine is fairly effective for the long-term, but it was very hard for me to wait for it to 'kick in' after several months of taking it. I cannot compare this medication to other antidepressants, but it was pretty good; it was also much more effective (for me).

November 18, 2010 6:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm a 17 year old female. I'm in my first semester of college. I've had depression since about 13/14 and I've always had anxiety. Unfortunately, my anxiety became intolerable once I started college. I've been on Zoloft for a week and a half. The first week I took 25 mg, now I'm up to 50 mg. I've only had one panic attack since starting. I feel way more relaxed. As for the depression, I used to sit around all day just thinking about how much I hate life. I haven't been doing this anymore since I started on Zoloft. I'm hoping Zoloft will do even more for me after a few more weeks. I'm finally looking forward to the future with hope.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 12, 2010 12:52 AM