User Reviews for Ranolazine

Also known as: Ranexa

Learn more about Ranolazine.

Ranolazine Review Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 173 medications used in the treatment of Angina.

Reviews for Ranolazine to treat Angina

Ranexa (ranolazine): "Weight loss. Glucose reduction , off insulin. Taking orals only."

shielarae August 7, 2015

Ranexa (ranolazine): "After some scary bouts of angina the Dr. put me on Ranexa. I am really impressed what i can work hard at age 74 minus the chest pains. I was pleasantly surprised when my A1c dropped significantly. I have had some problems that I am not sure if they are side effects. Serious swelling of my feet and ankles, increase in neuropathic pain in my feet and toes and wrists. Weight gain that I can't explain and bloating of abdomen. I will contact the cardiologist to see if the dosage can be less than 500 mg twice a day."

Jerry K. June 7, 2015

"For almost four years, I suffered with shortness of breath without chest pain, usually on exertion, and no cause was ever found. A recent heart cath and three stents later, I still have SOB, so my cardiologist thought it was angina and prescribed Ranexa. I took it for only three days and my SOB without exertion was terrible. So I stopped it right away. It took almost three weeks for the SOB to be tolerable again. I didn't experience any other side effects, but Ranexa failed at what it was supposed to do for me."

SOB UnknownCause (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015

Ranexa (ranolazine): "To me, this is a wonder drug!! I'm serious! I'm not saying that my chest pains with palpitations are completely gone because they're not. Yet, with Ranexa, I can deal with it. The first time I began taking it I walked about 3-4 blocks without stopping to catch my breath. At first it scared me thinking I did or was doing something wrong. But it was the Ranexa that made the difference!"

Onetwentyfive (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2015

Ranexa (ranolazine): "I have been on Ranexa for approximately 5 years and do not have any angina since then. My only side effect that I have from this medication is "ringing in the ears" since I went on this medication, otherwise no complaints except for the cost."

Mr E March 20, 2015

Ranexa (ranolazine): "I had a cardiac cath Sept 2013, I was diagnosed with heart failure, a blockage that can not be repaired and obstructed cardiomyothrapy also 2 heart attacks, before Ranexa, I was in alot of pain, I take 1000 mg twice a day, all though I do have some pain, Ranexa has helped alot and given me some relief, my Dr said that was normal with my conditions, but I have gotten some relief"

moonkey February 15, 2015

Ranexa (ranolazine): "I had a triple bypass surgery 23 years ago.My SVG is wearing out.Had a blockage in it 3 months ago, had a cath and a stent put in. 3 days later had an MI caused by a complete block in the SVG. Had another cath and 2 stents put in.2 months later started Cardiac rehab. Started getting angina walking and stress. Went on Ranexa 500mg twice aday. After the first day no angina. Went to the gym after 7 days on med and did 15 mins on treadmill, 15 on bike and 10 on eliptical. No angina pain. Only side affect I noticed is right below my sterum, I occasionly have a slight spasm..See the Dr. in a week to discuss. Slight hard bowel movements, need to drink more fluids and occasional stool softer. But worth it, with no angina pain."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2014

Ranexa (ranolazine): "After my last MI, my only recourse was Ranexa because a stent was not able to be inserted. The next night at the hospital I had three episodes of angina like never before. I almost screamed for a nitro pill. Since being on Ranexa I have taken less than five nitro pills in over a year."

rehoboth50 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2014

Ranexa (ranolazine): "Before Ranexa I could not go a day without needing a nitro for the chest pain. Now if I need 1 nitro a month that is a lot. BUT the side effects are terrible. The bloated feeling and stomach aches are terrible and the constipation has been so bad I need to use MiraLax daily along with a stool softener in the morning and evening. Do not know if I can tolerate the GI problems much longer."

nurse mike (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2013

Ranexa (ranolazine): "I was having trouble even functioning due to the spasms and chest pain I was experiencing. I experienced immediate relief when prescribed Ranexa. I can not describe the change I have experienced in quality of life. I had a heart attack five years ago at the age of 34 from a spasm that went out of control. I don't want that again! The spasms are much more controlled now, and I hardly ever have one that requires Nitro."

Becks (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2013

"I had angina due to blocked artery, started on 2 per day for a week then doubled up. Started to feel dizziness, severe headaches, progressed to complete unbalance sensation. I also experienced constipation and joint stiffness. Now back to 2 pills 500mg per day for trial purposes."

jimbo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2013

Ranexa (ranolazine): "I've been taking it for three months. I haven't used a nitro in that time. The chest pain I experienced in breathing cold or humid air, or after climbing, or even after stress has dissipated to an unexpected and happy extent. However, the side effects are bothersome, though not insurmountable. Dry mouth, almost continuously, which sometimes affects ability to speak clearly. Constipation, overcome by hard bowel movements, use of stool softeners. And just a general feeling of stuffiness, in body, in sinuses, elsewhere. Hard to say whether I would recommend it. The annoyances at times are major; the feeling of freedom from the chest pain and fear greatly offset the annoyances so far. Incidentally, I am 77, with only one open artery."

tortprof (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2013

Ranexa (ranolazine): "Ranexa has definitely helped with my angina, but I am pretty certain it has contributed to an appx 20 pound weight gain as well. I am not sure if getting off the medication would help me lose the weight, but I dont want the angina back either, so I am not sure what to say. Its very effective for the angina but it can have some unwanted side-effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2012

Ranexa (ranolazine): "I started taking this medication last night, Feb 19 2012 , and I have experienced a lot of gas. I was up most of the night going to bathroom, and today I'm experiencing a strange sensation in my chest but its not pain. It almost feels like a tingle and I have a cough also. I also have anxiety and headaches."

dustyrose45 February 20, 2012

"This helped with breathing and pain from angina but the side effects to the digestive system greatly out wayed this. I experienced severe constipation, bloating and acid reflux when taking the 350 dose. This became so severe over a 2 week period that I had to stop taking the medication."

Anonymous February 18, 2012

Ranexa (ranolazine): "Ranexa stopped the angina and I felt much better but the side effects were awful. Severe confusion, memory loss, vomiting, increased urination (so much so I was up every hour or so at night)."

Anonymous February 11, 2012

Ranexa (ranolazine): "My doctor started me on two doses daily (am and pm) in August, 2011. The second day on it, I was on a camping trip and developed an itchy rash on my lower arms and hands, and my lower legs. I didn't connect it to the Ranexa so I went to my regular doctor and my dermatologist. The dermatologist told me to stop taking the Ranexa and wait for my my cardiologist to come back in town. As it turned out I was having a "sun sensitivity" to the medicine. He cut my dosage to once at night and I have not had any more problems with a rash. However, a month or so after I started taking the medicine, I started having "shaking episodes". I did tell my cardiologist the last time I saw him. It is mainly my hands shaking."

reva schwan January 20, 2012

"I'd also like to commend you for a great analysis of the medicine. Thanks."

Anonymous January 4, 2012

Ranexa (ranolazine): "Great medicine. I was taking 2 or 3 nitros daily. Took first Ranexa and pain just started going away. Now I take 1 or 2 nitros a week. I have 4 blockages at 100 % and 1 at 60% and I hardly have any angina. I learned my limits on what I can do. But I still can drive and work a little in our yard. Ranexa is a miracle."

60 year old man October 10, 2011

Ranexa (ranolazine): "I am 89 rears old. 1986- quadruple open heart surgery; three bare stents inserted 8 years later; using an ARB, a beta blocker, have been on warfarin for ten years since my stroke in 2001, plus Imdur 60 mgm twice a day. I still experienced angina, after walking, after sitting too long. Started Ranexa one month ago-results are amazing- NO ANGINA! 500 mgm twice a day. Thank you, Gilead Science for developing this amazing medicine. "

seymour712 September 12, 2011

"Excellent medication but has caused major constipation"

kgb1145 July 10, 2009

Ranexa (ranolazine): "Prior to my diagnosis of heart disease I suffered daily with what I thought was heartburn and indigestion. I ate Tums like candy. Sometimes it would get so bad I would chug a couple of diet sodas just so I could burp, which seemed to help. Then I had a stress test which led to having a heart cath done. I have a 100% blockage in my RCA and two other smaller blockages. Once I started Ranexa all of what I used to believe was heartburn/indigestion stopped. It is amazing."

blainiac April 15, 2009

Ranexa (ranolazine): "I didn't realize how much my Prinze Metal angina was affecting my sleep until I started Ranexa. Within two nights I was sleeping ten hours/night without interruption and awakening refreshed. The first time in over fifteen years. What an incredible experience, night after night, to have no shortness of breath and to be free of chest tightness. Amazing. I'd forgotten the freedom"

LCC January 30, 2009

Ranexa (ranolazine): "Suffering for 4 years with chest pain and trying to avoid open heart surgery. My cardiologist prescribed ranexa. Within a few days I was feeling great. It's a god-send. Bless the researchers who developed ranexa."

MY HEART January 17, 2009

Ranexa (ranolazine): "It's a difference of night and day for me. I've lived with angina for 5 years and Ranexa has greatly improved my life."

Anonymous December 6, 2008