User Reviews for Ranolazine

Also known as: Ranexa

Learn more about Ranolazine.

Ranolazine review summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 175 medications used in the treatment of Angina.

Reviews for Ranolazine to treat Angina

Review by rehoboth50 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ranexa (ranolazine): After my last MI, my only recourse was Ranexa because a stent was not able to be inserted. The next night at the hospital I had three episodes of angina like never before. I almost screamed for a nitro pill. Since being on Ranexa I have taken less than five nitro pills in over a year.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2014 1:21 PM

Review by nurse mike (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ranexa (ranolazine): Before Ranexa I could not go a day without needing a nitro for the chest pain. Now if I need 1 nitro a month that is a lot. BUT the side effects are terrible. The bloated feeling and stomach aches are terrible and the constipation has been so bad I need to use MiraLax daily along with a stool softener in the morning and evening. Do not know if I can tolerate the GI problems much longer.

September 21, 2013 4:52 PM

Review by Becks (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ranexa (ranolazine): I was having trouble even functioning due to the spasms and chest pain I was experiencing. I experienced immediate relief when prescribed Ranexa. I can not describe the change I have experienced in quality of life. I had a heart attack five years ago at the age of 34 from a spasm that went out of control. I don't want that again! The spasms are much more controlled now, and I hardly ever have one that requires Nitro.

May 7, 2013 9:17 AM

Review by jimbo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had angina due to blocked artery, started on 2 per day for a week then doubled up. Started to feel dizziness, severe headaches, progressed to complete unbalance sensation. I also experienced constipation and joint stiffness. Now back to 2 pills 500mg per day for trial purposes.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2013 10:39 AM

Review by tortprof (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ranexa (ranolazine): I've been taking it for three months. I haven't used a nitro in that time. The chest pain I experienced in breathing cold or humid air, or after climbing, or even after stress has dissipated to an unexpected and happy extent. However, the side effects are bothersome, though not insurmountable. Dry mouth, almost continuously, which sometimes affects ability to speak clearly. Constipation, overcome by hard bowel movements, use of stool softeners. And just a general feeling of stuffiness, in body, in sinuses, elsewhere. Hard to say whether I would recommend it. The annoyances at times are major; the feeling of freedom from the chest pain and fear greatly offset the annoyances so far. Incidentally, I am 77, with only one open artery.

March 3, 2013 1:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ranexa (ranolazine): Ranexa has definitely helped with my angina, but I am pretty certain it has contributed to an appx 20 pound weight gain as well. I am not sure if getting off the medication would help me lose the weight, but I dont want the angina back either, so I am not sure what to say. Its very effective for the angina but it can have some unwanted side-effects.

June 10, 2012 9:42 PM

Review by dustyrose45:

Ranexa (ranolazine): I started taking this medication last night, Feb 19 2012 , and I have experienced a lot of gas. I was up most of the night going to bathroom, and today I'm experiencing a strange sensation in my chest but its not pain. It almost feels like a tingle and I have a cough also. I also have anxiety and headaches.

February 20, 2012 5:21 PM

This helped with breathing and pain from angina but the side effects to the digestive system greatly out wayed this. I experienced severe constipation, bloating and acid reflux when taking the 350 dose. This became so severe over a 2 week period that I had to stop taking the medication.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2012 12:32 PM

Ranexa (ranolazine): Ranexa stopped the angina and I felt much better but the side effects were awful. Severe confusion, memory loss, vomiting, increased urination (so much so I was up every hour or so at night).

February 11, 2012 6:46 PM

Review by reva schwan:

Ranexa (ranolazine): My doctor started me on two doses daily (am and pm) in August, 2011. The second day on it, I was on a camping trip and developed an itchy rash on my lower arms and hands, and my lower legs. I didn't connect it to the Ranexa so I went to my regular doctor and my dermatologist. The dermatologist told me to stop taking the Ranexa and wait for my my cardiologist to come back in town. As it turned out I was having a "sun sensitivity" to the medicine. He cut my dosage to once at night and I have not had any more problems with a rash. However, a month or so after I started taking the medicine, I started having "shaking episodes". I did tell my cardiologist the last time I saw him. It is mainly my hands shaking.

January 20, 2012 3:58 PM

I'd also like to commend you for a great analysis of the medicine. Thanks.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2012 1:25 PM

Review by 60 year old man:

Ranexa (ranolazine): Great medicine. I was taking 2 or 3 nitros daily. Took first Ranexa and pain just started going away. Now I take 1 or 2 nitros a week. I have 4 blockages at 100 % and 1 at 60% and I hardly have any angina. I learned my limits on what I can do. But I still can drive and work a little in our yard. Ranexa is a miracle.

October 10, 2011 10:31 PM

Review by seymour712:

Ranexa (ranolazine): I am 89 rears old. 1986- quadruple open heart surgery; three bare stents inserted 8 years later; using an ARB, a beta blocker, have been on warfarin for ten years since my stroke in 2001, plus Imdur 60 mgm twice a day. I still experienced angina, after walking, after sitting too long. Started Ranexa one month ago-results are amazing- NO ANGINA! 500 mgm twice a day. Thank you, Gilead Science for developing this amazing medicine.

September 12, 2011 12:51 PM

Review by kgb1145:

Excellent medication but has caused major constipation

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2009 5:19 PM

Review by blainiac:

Ranexa (ranolazine): Prior to my diagnosis of heart disease I suffered daily with what I thought was heartburn and indigestion. I ate Tums like candy. Sometimes it would get so bad I would chug a couple of diet sodas just so I could burp, which seemed to help. Then I had a stress test which led to having a heart cath done. I have a 100% blockage in my RCA and two other smaller blockages. Once I started Ranexa all of what I used to believe was heartburn/indigestion stopped. It is amazing.

April 15, 2009 8:21 PM

Review by LCC:

Ranexa (ranolazine): I didn't realize how much my Prinze Metal angina was affecting my sleep until I started Ranexa. Within two nights I was sleeping ten hours/night without interruption and awakening refreshed. The first time in over fifteen years. What an incredible experience, night after night, to have no shortness of breath and to be free of chest tightness. Amazing. I'd forgotten the freedom

January 30, 2009 6:33 AM

Review by MY HEART:

Ranexa (ranolazine): Suffering for 4 years with chest pain and trying to avoid open heart surgery. My cardiologist prescribed ranexa. Within a few days I was feeling great. It's a god-send. Bless the researchers who developed ranexa.

January 17, 2009 10:32 AM

Ranexa (ranolazine): It's a difference of night and day for me. I've lived with angina for 5 years and Ranexa has greatly improved my life.

December 6, 2008 11:35 PM

Review by No pain:

Ranexa (ranolazine): I've only been taking Ranexa for about a week, but I have not had any angina since I started taking it. I have lived with angina on a daily basis for about two years.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2008 9:28 PM

Review by James Metz:

Ranexa (ranolazine): I have used Ranexa for two years a prescribed my my Cardoligist . It has given me an almost pain free life from angina. I can walk several miles now whereas before I would get angina in a few blocks.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2007 1:18 PM