User Reviews for Lyrica

Learn more about Lyrica.

Lyrica review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 35 medications used in the treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Lyrica to treat Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

Review by B.A.H. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I did not feel it was helping all that well with the pain.[ lower, middle back and rib] I went from 25 mg to 75, 150 then 225mg. I found I was tired and lethargic. I had a dry mouth and throat constantly, and my vision was hard to focus, jumpy. I had stopped and restarted after 4 months, still the same. Breathing is harder, so I've noticed this time. I have stopped for good!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2014 10:57 PM

Review by AnnonnA:

Lyrica is about as effective as opiates without the baggage that comes with the latter. Lyrica has it's own side effects for me while working up to 450 mg/day including a floaty spaced out sensation, INSANE appetite, and constipation - these side effects largely disappeared at the 2-week point. Pain relief was fairly quick, at about the third or fourth day.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Bub2222:

It makes my eyes twitch

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2014 8:47 AM

Review by neuropain! (taken for less than 1 month):

Started taking Lyrica yesterday for severe diabetic neuropathy in both feet and lower legs. I am currently on Suboxone for a 15 year addiction to opiates and was concerned that Lyrica wouldn't work because my body is so screwed up from all the years of opiate use and most medications do not work well for me. Thirty minutes after the first dose I noticed a significant improvement in the neuropathic pain. My bedtime dose was another 75 milligram capsule and I slept better than I have slept in months! This medicine has been a God send for me so far. Hoping that it continues to work well for me! Thanks Pfizer!

August 31, 2013 3:00 PM

Review by justbg (taken for less than 1 month):

I started Lyrica 30 days ago and take 150mg per day. I have not received any relief in my neuropathy. I have a constant headache and my vision is fuzzy. I am hoping the Lyrica will solve these problems in 60 days or I will have to stop the medicines.

April 13, 2013 4:19 PM

Review by chris 74 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have type 1 diabetes for 25 yrs. Neuropathy diagnosis for 16 yrs. Was on gabapentin for 16 yrs and it quit working for me. 2 months ago my doctor put me on Lyrica and what a difference my pain in feet and legs is all but gone! Thank you Pfizer for Lyrica it has made such a difference in my quality of life!

January 23, 2013 10:22 PM

Review by Don K. (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This works within 30 mins. After the first pill my legs stopped burning and tingling one of the only medicines I ever found that worked so fast.

September 19, 2012 9:11 PM

Extremely drowsy, no difference in pain

September 8, 2012 2:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

My husband suffers from neuropathy and his Dr put him on Lyrica 75mg twice a day. The side effects were horrible, he had to stop taking it immediately. He was dizzy, had headaches, off balance, couldn't judge distance, and it looked to him like the walls and floors were moving.

August 25, 2012 6:07 PM

Review by pre chat:

Ive been prescribed pregabalin for 3 yrs and over the last year I've noticed that I am progressivly forgetting things which are important i.e Bills or appointments. Anything really, it just depends. They are good for what they are prescribed for but on the other hand, is it just me?

February 22, 2012 9:53 AM

I recently started taking Lyrica for two herniated discs. The doctor said I have massive nerve damage that will result in surgery but suggested taking this medication temporarily until surgery because my pain was unbearable! At first I was a little off balance but within a week I wasn't constantly in pain....within a month my pain was almost gone and I refuse to do surgery now! Thanks Lyrica for making this happen!

February 19, 2012 10:48 AM

Review by Canuck Sue:

I have been on this medication for 4 years now. There has been a 20 pound weight gain, so far. My GP is always after me about the weight gain however I would rather be fat and happy then suffering from the pain it used to cause. I also take methadone as a pain killer. The sad part to the Lyrica is the price.

January 14, 2012 8:01 PM

Review by Irv1:

Worked good for first 3 days. Then got severe side effects, breathing problems, vomiting, shaking.

February 16, 2011 9:57 PM

Review by lyricafatty:

I was already overweight and went on Lyrica because of the tingling in my hands and feet being intolerable. Three weeks later, its like I woke up one morning and none of my clothes fit. I got on the scale and from the time my doctor gave me this pill to current and have gained over 25 lbs. It's a shame I have to decide between being obese or able to sleep and be pain free.

November 11, 2010 4:49 PM

I have been using Lyrica for about 2 months now. I originally quit it because I gained 7 pounds in a week. Stopped taking it. Could not stand the pain in my feet, outer thighs and now along my belt line. I noticed that the weight gain seemed to be from an increased appetite. I have been able to keep the weight off by being very mindful of my hunger, or mindless eating. I am 5'10" 185lbs. Without Lyrica I don't really get hungry. Mind is bigger than the belly when I order food. With Lyrica I find I could eat a horse, and a cow and maybe a squirl as an after dinner snack ..LOL. It makes me lose what ever normal appetite suppresent that I may have. It does wonders for my nerve pain that started 6 months ago and seems to get worse without Lyrica.

September 13, 2010 1:18 PM

Lyrica made me a zombie. I could just sit and flip channels on the TV or stare off into space. If it helped the neuropathy I did not notice. Stopped taking it after one week and the Doctor put me back on Neurontin. Neurontin does not help so much with the pain in my feet and legs but at least I can function.

August 28, 2010 10:47 PM

Review by brunot:

Started using LYRICA about 6 months ago. It seems to have minimized the toe/foot pain I have when I go to bed. This was keeping me awake with pain and restless legs. Now I can get to sleep easier. Did notice some weight gain... but am working on it. No other side effects noted at this time. Sure has helped me at night!

April 3, 2010 8:17 AM

Review by shy shy:

I love this medication!!! With out lyrica i would not be able to walk.Nerve damage from diabetes has taken its toll on my nerves in my feet and legs. My new insurance company is denying my coverage for lyrica.But my drs are trying to keep me on lyrica because i have been i it for so long.Shame on insurance companies who r just trying to save a buck!!! Not fair

February 15, 2010 9:49 PM

Review by bhutch1294:

I am glad that Lyrica has helped many, just did nothing for my nerve pain and tons of side effects.

December 22, 2009 7:53 PM

Review by roos:

Not only do I have diabetic neuropathy, I also have nerve damage on both sides from total loss of L5S1 disc. I could not live without Lyrica. Just don't miss a dose, it's not pleasant. Lyrica doesn't stop it all, but I know how much it does stop and won't ever be without it

September 26, 2009 6:28 PM

Review by marle:

I suffered with nerve damage at back of my neck. Lyrica caused me severe memory loss, confusion and depression. It stopped my nerve problem but my good memory has not returned. I also suffer headaches, which I never had before.

August 19, 2009 9:28 PM

Review by DBT2009:

I started using Lyrica six months after it was put on the market and I think it is a miracle drug for those of us who could not sleep or relax in any way due to severe neuropathy. The only side effect I experienced was sleepiness which disappeared after about a week. This is a wonderful, wonderful thing for diabetics with nerve pain. Thank you to the makers!

August 18, 2009 10:43 AM

It makes my hands shake.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2009 5:34 AM

I have nerve pain from diabetes. I was waking up several times a night with severe pain. Lyrica has allowed me to sleep through the night without interruption. So far no side effects to report.

July 8, 2009 9:18 PM

I was put on 50mg of Lyrica at age 62. Within a week there was noticeable improvement in the amount of burning and tingling in my feet and legs. Within a month the burning and tingling disappeared. At 3 months I had gained 15 pounds at a rate of 5 pounds per month. Most importantly I began to notice I did not care if I lived or died. I stopped taking the drug. I have also experience this with antidepressants. For 6 months after stopping Lyrica I remained relatively free of pain. By 8 months the burning and tingling have returned at their full intensity. I rate the drug a 5, great for pain with serious side effects.

June 9, 2009 10:41 AM