User Reviews for Lyrica

Learn more about Lyrica.

Lyrica Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 35 medications used in the treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Lyrica to treat Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

"I was taking Lyrica for several years. I stopped taking it because of the price. My prescription medications are covered by Medicare & other insurance, but I do not believe in indiscriminately spending Medicare money. So, again, only because of the cost, I stopped. My feet went wild, burning pain, could not even have the bed covers on them at night. I got my Rx for Lyrica renewed and when it came I first took 2 caps in order to see if it would get started again. It did! I'm going to be doing a bit of research on the internet for a lower cost alternative. Gabapentin looks good at the moment, maybe on my next doc appt. I'll try it. I gave it only a 9 because of the cost, but for effectiveness I'd give it as high a number as allowed."

agss241 January 11, 2016

"Been taking this for about 5 years and has helped lessen pain a lot, only side effects are some swelling of the legs and feet. Only issue is my body seems to get use to it and have to increase dosage every 6 mths - year. Started out on 75 mg and now up to 300 mg at night and 100 mg during the day. Have tried just about every other drug with no results, this was the only drug that offered relief."

LindyF October 27, 2015

"Edema in ankles and feet, cellulitis in shin and calf, 6 days in hospital, memory loss, dizziness, letharga"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2015

"I have been taking Lyrica for the last three years and I don't know how I would live without it. In 2012, I was involved in a serious accident, sustaining an incomplete spinal cord injury, as well as severe injuries to my lower limbs. The pain is not as bad as it was in the beginning, but I am in constant pain and, according to my pain management and spinal and lower limb reconstruction consultants, this will probably always be the case. Initially I thought if I found the right combination of medications I could stop it and so I tried all of the other drugs prescribed for neuropathy, as well as some more experimental ones. Without Lyric I spent a lot of time crying and ended up in hospital a few times because the pain was so bad."

sarahbia August 7, 2015

"I just started .75 mg. Lyrica two nights ago. Helped me sleep and not annoyed by RLS or diabetic nerve annoyance (not pain). Also, have had issues with back pain and it seems to be helping after such a short time."

pattijacks1113 August 1, 2015

"have had good results in controlling foot pain,i have type 2 diabetics,and prescribed 50 mg 1 per day.i have had weight gain in 50 lb range.eat very little,age 89 yrs little exercise .works for me"

geno.s July 12, 2015

"I've been taking Lyrica for about 4 years now and because of the cost, I end up in the "donut hole" lately and the cost is almost $200 and that's with my insurance! While it works pretty well I have been forced to cut down to 2, 150mg pills a day to save up enough for at least one month. I'm a senior and $200 the last 3 months of the year is a budget breaker!"

fishermom (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 17, 2014

"I did not feel it was helping all that well with the pain.[ lower, middle back and rib] I went from 25 mg to 75, 150 then 225mg. I found I was tired and lethargic. I had a dry mouth and throat constantly, and my vision was hard to focus, jumpy. I had stopped and restarted after 4 months, still the same. Breathing is harder, so I've noticed this time. I have stopped for good!"

B.A.H. (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2014

"Lyrica is about as effective as opiates without the baggage that comes with the latter. Lyrica has it's own side effects for me while working up to 450 mg/day including a floaty spaced out sensation, INSANE appetite, and constipation - these side effects largely disappeared at the 2-week point. Pain relief was fairly quick, at about the third or fourth day."

AnnonnA June 12, 2014

"It makes my eyes twitch"

Bub2222 April 30, 2014

"Started taking Lyrica yesterday for severe diabetic neuropathy in both feet and lower legs. I am currently on Suboxone for a 15 year addiction to opiates and was concerned that Lyrica wouldn't work because my body is so screwed up from all the years of opiate use and most medications do not work well for me. Thirty minutes after the first dose I noticed a significant improvement in the neuropathic pain. My bedtime dose was another 75 milligram capsule and I slept better than I have slept in months! This medicine has been a God send for me so far. Hoping that it continues to work well for me! Thanks Pfizer!"

neuropain! (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2013

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started Lyrica 30 days ago and take 150mg per day. I have not received any relief in my neuropathy. I have a constant headache and my vision is fuzzy. I am hoping the Lyrica will solve these problems in 60 days or I will have to stop the medicines."

justbg (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2013

"I have type 1 diabetes for 25 yrs. Neuropathy diagnosis for 16 yrs. Was on gabapentin for 16 yrs and it quit working for me. 2 months ago my doctor put me on Lyrica and what a difference my pain in feet and legs is all but gone! Thank you Pfizer for Lyrica it has made such a difference in my quality of life!"

chris 74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This works within 30 mins. After the first pill my legs stopped burning and tingling one of the only medicines I ever found that worked so fast."

Don K. (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 19, 2012

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Extremely drowsy, no difference in pain"

Anonymous September 8, 2012

"My husband suffers from neuropathy and his Dr put him on Lyrica 75mg twice a day. The side effects were horrible, he had to stop taking it immediately. He was dizzy, had headaches, off balance, couldn't judge distance, and it looked to him like the walls and floors were moving."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2012

"Ive been prescribed pregabalin for 3 yrs and over the last year I've noticed that I am progressivly forgetting things which are important i.e Bills or appointments. Anything really, it just depends. They are good for what they are prescribed for but on the other hand, is it just me?"

pre chat February 22, 2012

"I recently started taking Lyrica for two herniated discs. The doctor said I have massive nerve damage that will result in surgery but suggested taking this medication temporarily until surgery because my pain was unbearable! At first I was a little off balance but within a week I wasn't constantly in pain....within a month my pain was almost gone and I refuse to do surgery now! Thanks Lyrica for making this happen!"

Anonymous February 19, 2012

"I have been on this medication for 4 years now. There has been a 20 pound weight gain, so far. My GP is always after me about the weight gain however I would rather be fat and happy then suffering from the pain it used to cause. I also take methadone as a pain killer. The sad part to the Lyrica is the price."

Canuck Sue January 14, 2012

"Worked good for first 3 days. Then got severe side effects, breathing problems, vomiting, shaking."

Irv1 February 16, 2011

"I was already overweight and went on Lyrica because of the tingling in my hands and feet being intolerable. Three weeks later, its like I woke up one morning and none of my clothes fit. I got on the scale and from the time my doctor gave me this pill to current and have gained over 25 lbs. It's a shame I have to decide between being obese or able to sleep and be pain free."

lyricafatty November 11, 2010

"I have been using Lyrica for about 2 months now. I originally quit it because I gained 7 pounds in a week. Stopped taking it. Could not stand the pain in my feet, outer thighs and now along my belt line. I noticed that the weight gain seemed to be from an increased appetite. I have been able to keep the weight off by being very mindful of my hunger, or mindless eating. I am 5'10" 185lbs. Without Lyrica I don't really get hungry. Mind is bigger than the belly when I order food. With Lyrica I find I could eat a horse, and a cow and maybe a squirl as an after dinner snack ..LOL. It makes me lose what ever normal appetite suppresent that I may have. It does wonders for my nerve pain that started 6 months ago and seems to get worse without Lyrica."

Anonymous September 13, 2010

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Lyrica made me a zombie. I could just sit and flip channels on the TV or stare off into space. If it helped the neuropathy I did not notice. Stopped taking it after one week and the Doctor put me back on Neurontin. Neurontin does not help so much with the pain in my feet and legs but at least I can function."

Anonymous August 28, 2010

"Started using LYRICA about 6 months ago. It seems to have minimized the toe/foot pain I have when I go to bed. This was keeping me awake with pain and restless legs. Now I can get to sleep easier. Did notice some weight gain... but am working on it. No other side effects noted at this time. Sure has helped me at night!"

brunot April 3, 2010

"I love this medication!!! With out lyrica i would not be able to walk.Nerve damage from diabetes has taken its toll on my nerves in my feet and legs. My new insurance company is denying my coverage for lyrica.But my drs are trying to keep me on lyrica because i have been i it for so long.Shame on insurance companies who r just trying to save a buck!!! Not fair"

shy shy February 15, 2010