User Reviews for Elmiron

Learn more about Elmiron.

Interstitial Cystitis 20 reviews 28 medications

7.6
Bladder Infection 2 reviews 79 medications

Summary of Elmiron reviews 22 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Elmiron

Review by liduvina:

For Bladder Infection: It gave me an allergic reaction , swelling , hives tight chest and wheezing

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 12:17 AM

Review by Rawquell:

For Interstitial Cystitis: Elmiron has worked wonders for me! I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in January and it took a long time for the medicine to kick in. I didn't feel much relief until June, approximately 5mos, don't give up! I still have frequency but not even close to how it was, I had a lot of burning pain, my bladder seemed like it was on fire all the time, I felt fatigued, weak, depressed but thanks to Elmiron now on the road to recovery!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 3:46 AM

Review by Mad Mags:

For Interstitial Cystitis: After having what I thought was a bladder infection for about 6 months, taking ever antibiotic there was, I finally found a Urologist that was willing to work with me. He did the scope and indeed confirmed I had interstitial cystitis. He put me on Elmiron. I still have flare ups but nothing with a lot of water and pain meds I get back to a normal life. I have been on the Elmiron for 4 years. About 2 months I decided to take myself off and see if I could get by without taking the meds. VERY wrong decision. I went back on Elmiron and thank GOD I am better now. I have come to the conclusion I will always be on Elmiron. However, if this is what it takes to have a normal life then so be it!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by ZoeB:

For Interstitial Cystitis: Between 20 & 30 years old I suffered frequently with urinary tract infections, and was all too familiar with the pain. However about 4 years ago I thought I was getting them again but all the cultures were negative for infection and no antibiotic would work. When I decided to talk to my OB/GYN about my symptoms, he immediately mentioned Interstitial Cystitis and I tested positive for it. They put me on Elmiron for about 6 months and it cleared it up. The only food that bothered me was bananas. I recently had the Ablasion procedure which seems to have flared it again so I may have to take Elmiron again. It is expensive, but worth it to me.

September 21, 2013 10:02 PM

Review by Chy:

For Interstitial Cystitis: For 4 years I was in and out of doctors offices explaining to them that I was having severe bladder pain (the kind that makes you nauseous, sweaty and feverish). Finally I went to this one doctor and told her I had symptoms of urinary tract infections 12 times in less than 6 months. I had tried changing my diet and nothing had helped. She put me on Elmiron 3, 100mg pills 3 times a day and within 2 weeks I could finally pee. It has been amazing, although I do suffer from frequent headaches (even when we have lowered the dose as low as 3 pills a week), and exhaustion (I had this before the Elmiron but it has been increased while on it). I still recommend trying it, it is better than nothing.

September 12, 2013 12:49 AM

Review by Jules7835:

For Interstitial Cystitis: I've only been on Elmiron for 7 weeks. But I did notice a decrease in symptoms (pain is my only real symptom) by week 3. Now I am in week 7 and I am almost pain free most of the time. I don't stray too far from the diet yet but I do notice I can get away with more foods. I'd give it a 10/10 but I'm not sure how it will work in the future. Doctors say that the sooner you start taking it after symptoms present and the more mild your disease the faster it works and the more beneficial it is. My Interstitial Cystitis was considered mild and I was diagnosed within 1 month of symptom onset. I hope it continues to work. I take 400 mg a day.

August 11, 2013 4:12 PM

For Interstitial Cystitis: I suffered for many years with painful and frequent urinating. I went to many doctors who kept telling me it was a UTI, although each time the tests were always negative. They kept just saying maybe whatever medications I was taking were probably just counteracting the results. I lived on AZO. Finally, my gynecologist decide to do some other tests and found I had Interstitial Cystitis, and this was in 2009. I was so relieved to finally have an answer! I was then prescribed Elmiron. I have been taking it almost 4 years now and it's helped me immensely! I am still at 3 pills a day, some days I can get by with just 1 or 2 pills depending on what I eat and drink. And although it is expensive, it is so worth it. I am just so thankful to be on the right track!

September 30, 2012 8:15 AM

Review by Aeriell:

For Interstitial Cystitis: It takes about 45 days for it to start working and probably 60 days for it to fully work. However, it does help prevent pain associated with Interstitial Cystitis (IC). I didn't fully appreciate it until I couldn't afford the medicine anymore. If you call the manufacturer, they can help you get a discount card to save on the cost.

April 16, 2012 9:29 PM

For Interstitial Cystitis: I've had Interstitial Cystitis for 10 yrs. I've had 3 cystoscopy surgeries and 1 bladder tack. All to have a diagnosis of Interstitial Cystitis. I have taken Elmiron on and off for years and I unfortunately do not get much if any relief. I'm only 29 and fear that I am going be in pain forever.

November 28, 2011 4:21 AM

Review by katziee:

For Interstitial Cystitis: Well it being the only medicine from my problem I felt better after 2 weeks of taking it. I had Interstital Cystitis for 10 years. I thought it was a urinary tract infection and took too many antibiotics. Sadly the pain came back every time. I have no side effects from Elmiron it helps me a lot, also no weight gain or swelling.

October 20, 2011 1:20 AM

For Interstitial Cystitis: I took Elmiron for 8-10 years. Initially, and for several years, it did not cause any negative side effects. However, after taking it for about 5 or so years, I started to have symptoms of colitis/Crohn's. A colonoscopy discovered multiple spots where the lining of the colon was ulcerated. So I was treated for a bowel disease for 6 YEARS. The doctor wanted to put me on something stronger, but I wasn't eager for that. I remember that Elmiron could cause diarrhea as an initial side effect. I hadn't had that problem, but I decided to stop taking the medicine. Within TWO WEEKS, all of my gastrointestinal problems went away. My most recent colonoscopy showed that the tissue had returned to normal. Be aware of late side effects.

July 1, 2011 1:46 PM

Review by vegas75044:

For Interstitial Cystitis: Sure glad I researched and found this medicine. All others were awful. I do warn you though that Elmiron takes about 2 months to work and I have to continue taking it forever. I usually give up on medicines if they don't work in a week, sure glad I gave this a chance. There are zero side effects. You must follow directions about taking an hour before eating and you must stay away from alcohol and caffeine religiously. I found that if I stay away from irritants I can decrease dose to only one a day, but as soon as I have a coke or beer or chocolate I get a flare up for a month or more.

May 26, 2011 3:38 PM

Review by melissabarham:

For Interstitial Cystitis: My story is a different one. I was diagnosed a couple years ago with an overactive bladder the urologist I was using said there was no way I had Interstitial Cystitis. I had been doing research but he didn't want to listen. Well I suffered for a couple years cause I was having a hard time finding another doctor and then finally just a week ago I found a doctor that listened to my symptoms and without hesitation told me I definitely had IC. He put me on Elmiron 3 times a day. I know it has not been but a couple days but I feel different. My urges aren't as bad, I am still having pain to some food but I am new to this and will learn. I am very happy I finally (about almost 5 years of pain) found out what was causing it and something to help.

April 11, 2011 1:17 AM

For Interstitial Cystitis: I have lived with Interstitial Cystitis for decades and this is the only effective medicine that I have found to relieve my "UTI-like" symptoms when taken regularly. I still have issues with some foods causing irritation of my bladder, but for the most part Elmiron helps me not have to watch every little thing I eat.

January 22, 2011 1:05 PM

For Interstitial Cystitis: I had severe Interstitial Cystitis which I had thought and the doctors I saw thought was an incurable bladder infection. For six months I took dose after dose of higher level antibiotics while my IC got worse. I also kept drinking cranberry juice and taking cranberry supplements. When I finally found a doctor who knew what was wrong. I had to start at taking 600 mg a day of Elmiron as well as about 2-3 bladder washes with heparin a week and I gave up all acidic foods. It took about 3 months before I felt better. Now I am down to to 200 mg a day. I feel great.

November 10, 2010 11:45 PM

Review by Tracy69:

For Interstitial Cystitis: I was diagnosed a few months ago. My doctor started me on 400mg a day and 3 times a week I went in for bladder instillation. Soon after it became obvious that I am quite allergic to it. I continued to take it (with a strong dose of Benadryl) but my reactions continued to get worse, so I quit taking it about a week ago...the symptoms are back. Don't know which is worse. What else is out there ?

August 26, 2010 12:02 PM

Take 3 pills a day down from 4 because of expense and still works fine. I have been able to eat and drink whatever I want! No side effects at all. This is a wonderful medicine but I just wish there was a generic that was less expensive.I am thinking about dropping to two pills a day and see if that still works.

July 30, 2010 10:58 AM

Review by 4Justice:

For Interstitial Cystitis: I have had improvement on issues like frequency and pain, but the medicine causes fatigue, headache, nausea, weakness, and swelling in my limbs.

May 12, 2010 7:23 AM

Review by JayMike:

For Interstitial Cystitis: An absolute 10! I use to have the most awkward, painful and random pain when urinating. I could never commit to anything because I never knew if it would happen. Finally I noticed really really hot water helps and alleviates the pain so I actually carried a little campers thing with me. About a year ago, well 2 years ago, I met with this Urologist, probably the 12th for that year. He told me about Elmiron. It is expensive, but if you take it everyday I haven't had the problem since.

April 24, 2010 11:53 PM

Review by madjen66:

For Interstitial Cystitis: I have been taking ELMIRON off and on since 2005. It has helped tremendously but the price is high even with insurance! I have not had my liver enzymes checked since the beginning!

December 3, 2009 11:01 AM

Review by Debbie Sue:

For Interstitial Cystitis: I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis in February 2000. Since that time, I've been taking the prescribed dosage of 400 mg daily. This has helped my interstitial cystitis symptoms tremendously. I had suffered for a long time before being diagnosed properly, so when this medication was presented to me and I took it for a couple of months, my pain was gone. I was so excited to finally get relief. Unfortunately, I had a recent blood test to check my liver enzymes. The AST was 61 and the ALT was 100, both of which are normal between 3 and 35. My physician wants me to decrease my dosage of Elmiron and check me again in 6 weeks. I'm very concerned about the high levels of enzymes in my blood. Be careful and keep a check on your liver.

June 4, 2009 8:42 PM

Review by mammoo:

For Interstitial Cystitis: I have been using Elmiron since February 2008. I love it. I think I did gain some weight but, who cares. I did not have as severe a case of interstitial cyctitis as some people but the medicine has sure been a blessing for me. I have just recently cut back on it because I believe I have leveled off with the symptoms. But just to be safe on that, I'll be seeing my Doctor to be sure. Don't want any flare ups. I've been able to eat again. I eat just about anything I always did. Mustard being my favorite. Thanks Elmiron for helping me. According to what I have read on interstitial cystitis mine is a mild case. I do hope Elmiron will help those with a severe case. I am so blessed and pray others will be after taking the medicine.

April 22, 2009 7:42 AM

Review by gougeon:

For Bladder Infection: I was put on Elmiron. I rapidly developed swelling, weight gain and blinding headaches. My Dr. said headaches were seldom from the drug.....he also said the weight gain/swelling were not associated with the medication. I went off the medication for five months, all problems went away. I went back on a trial of it and gained 5.5 lbs in two weeks and had headaches as well as swelling again!

October 24, 2007 1:45 PM