User Reviews for Zegerid

Learn more about Zegerid.

Zegerid review summary

9.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Zegerid to treat GERD

Review by DauphinNana:

Zegerid is the best medicine for GERD I've ever taken. However, I'm wondering if continue usage of Zegerid as it has caused problems with my finger/toe nails. For the recent two-three years my nails have become both brittle and soft. Can't seem to have nice nails anymore.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2011 1:10 PM

Review by Cough-free:

I had no symptoms of GERD, but a nagging chronic cough that seemed to originate from the back of my throat, not from my lungs. It would occur suddenly and without any warning. I could get relief from popping a Hall's cough drop, but my cough was so frequent (about 20 times a day). I was also clearing my throat all the time. My voice became gravelly at times, too. My co-workers were giving me grief over this cough. After trying several medications, my PCP referred me to a gastroenterologist, who gave prescribed Zegerid. I took 40 mg twice daily. My cough improved over the next 3 days, and disappeared. It has been almost a month. However, that nagging cough is beginning to creep back, along with the throat-clearing and gravel-voice.

June 8, 2010 1:27 PM

Review by Kafitz:

I have had Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease for many years and in February of this year, I was diagnosed with a Hiatus hernia as well. I had been on Prilosec since the late 90s, before it was available over the counter, prior to that I took Zantac 150. After I was diagnosed with the Hiatus Hernia this year, my gastroenterologist prescribed Zegerid and within the first day of taking it, I noticed a dramatic difference no heartburn or reflux at all. I do still have to take Mylanta occasionally depending on what I eat but, that is nothing compared to what it was like. I was taking several doses of Mylanta every day with minimal relief.

October 8, 2009 6:20 PM

Review by Chuck S:

I have had acid reflux for over 16 years. Started with tums/rolaids and they offered some relief if I ate about 10 per day! Then I started on Prevacid, and it worked fine for a year or two, but still had some heartburn. Then tried Prilosec OTC since it was so cheap and it worked almost as good as Prevacid. Then a year ago my doctor started me on Zegerid, and it completely took away the heartburn. Now I have to make sure that I take it at least 15 minutes before I eat anything or I get wicked bad burps! An hour is best. Anyways I have been experiencing some side effects, so I may stop taking to see if they go away. I have been getting some dizziness, headaches, bad gas, stomach pain, and anxiety. They usually are mild.

August 29, 2009 2:29 AM

I was diagnosed with acid reflux at 14 and always had heartburn. But after a while pain accompanied the heartburn and began to wake me up in the middle of the night and would not let me go back to sleep. My doctor assumed it was an ulcer and decided to put me on Pepcid AC and Nexium, one tablet each a day. I was still in a quite a bit of pain. and when I went to see a specialist they preformed an endoscopy and found that i had a severe case of gastritis. They prescribed me Zegerid and the difference was unbelievable. After about a week I was completely pain free. No more heartburn or pain. But I always have to make sure I take it once a day or else ill pay for it the next day. Overall, I don't know what I would do without it.

December 8, 2008 5:49 PM

I've been taking this for nearly a year now, and I can honestly say I've been heartburn-free since the day after I started taking it. I can eat all the things that I love but used to keep me up all night (tomato sauce, bananas and peanut butter were the worst). It is quite expensive, about a $1 a pill with insurance, but worth every penny. It's can also be a hassle because I have to wait to eat in the morning after I take it, but I am able to get something at work. I took Tagamet for a while, then Zantac (75 and then 150), and both those stopped working after a few months. Tums, Rolaids and all the other chewables, and liquids like Mylanta all quit working years ago. My doctor decided to step it up and prescribe this to me and my life changed.

September 8, 2008 1:30 AM

Using it as a replacement for Nexium, since insurance refused to cover Nexium. Works like a charm, and my GERD is under control now. Sometimes it's a bit of a hassle to have to wait half an hour before eating in the morning, especially when in a hurry, but this is an incredibly mild inconvenience when compared to the benefits.

April 29, 2008 4:32 AM