User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Errin, Heather, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Ortho Micronor

Learn more about Norethindrone.

Norethindrone review summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Birth Control

Review by momma24 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Errin (norethindrone): This pill has not been for me. I had a period right before I started taking it, then 2 more times within 3 weeks I had more bleeding. It seems as though other raters on here have also had abnormal bleeding due to this pill. I also have a decreased sex drive and feel bloated almost all of the time. I will be switching soon.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 21, 2014 10:08 PM
Review by kiaj: User Rating:

Nora-Be (norethindrone): I've been taking Nora-Be for about 2 months and have now been experiencing a longer period cycle. Before the pill my cycle lasted 5 days now on the pill my cycle last 8 days and now starts every 21 days as it used to start every 24 days. Other then the bleeding more, I've had no other symptoms.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 13, 2014 4:58 AM
Review by AshleyEM: User Rating:

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): I liked my Ortho Micronor. I first started it because I was afraid of the combination pill. I don't like the idea of taking estrogen. When I first started, I noticed my breast were slightly sore, but nothing too uncomfortable. It has a more strict timeline than the combination pill and you have to be sure to take it around the same time each day /- 3 hour window. The more inconsistent you are, the greater chance of breakthrough bleeding/pregnancy. I still got a period while taking Micronor, which I was happy about. That's my one true HEY-IM-NOT-PREGNANT flag. I stopped taking Ortho Micronor just because I wanted something more effective and hassle free. I recently choose an IUD. If I have any problems with this IUD, I would most likely return to using this.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 20, 2014 7:56 PM
Review by CanadianS (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): I started taking this, because my doctor said that this pill uses a hormone similar to progesterone (what the human body produces). The other pills I've tried (Tri-Cyclen, Yasmin) use estrogen, which is more likely to cause blood clots, heart attack, high blood pressure and stroke. I had minor spotting, and then no period at all. I have had a few headaches, but I am not sure if they're related. I've also had WAY less of an appetite, which was usually the opposite when I took birth control in pill form. I'd love to have a more natural form of birth control, but at this point, I'm happy with Micronor as a solution.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 20, 2014 8:50 AM
Review by LuciaB99 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

norethindrone: I have had good experiences with this birth control pill. I just started having sex with someone, I am not pregnant. Besides birth control I have lighter less painful periods. Also when I get my period it only lasts for about three days. My periods were very painful and lasted almost a week. This birth control pill has let me live a normal life!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 28, 2014 2:07 AM
Review by kainani (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Jolivette (norethindrone): I have never taken birth control pills before Jolivette. This particular pill was prescribed to me because of my chronic migraines. The pill works great for my period, but the overall side effects were horrible. I am extremely emotional, my breasts were sore all of the time, and I'm extremely emotional all of the time which is the opposite of how I usually am. I also had hair growth on my arms, legs, and a little on my face. It works, but the side effects make it not worth it.

December 27, 2013 1:04 AM
Review by LawyerGal (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

norethindrone: I had to switch to Norethindrone after year of Zovia due to concerns from my doctor over my high blood pressure and the risk of stroke. On norethindrone my skin completely broke out, I gained 10lbs and started growing some facial hair. I was moody as can be and experienced a painfully low sex drive (with equally painful intercourse). After speaking with my gyno and taking the Norethindrone for about 10 months, I am finally switching to Junel 1/20. The ONLY pro of the Norethindrone was that it was an extremely effective birth control. As a hypochondriac, I was fearful of getting pregnant from unprotected sex. Thankfully, the pill worked for me. Only it's side effects were horrible.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 22, 2013 7:38 PM
Review by Oomfer (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

norethindrone: I was prescribed after having our daughter. I spent the last three months thinking I was pregnant but confused by every negative test. After reading all the online reviews I now understand why my period is over two months late

November 29, 2013 3:01 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Nora-Be (norethindrone): I asked my doctor to change my birth control because of migraines. He put me on Nora-Be and after 3 week I started with these side-effects: cramping, bloating, breast sensitivity, trouble sleeping, itchy scalp, and constipation, and still had a few migraines. I was like that for 2 weeks and had the doctor put me back on the loretadine b.c I used before for irregular periods. Would not recommend this medicine AT ALL!!!!

November 10, 2013 1:56 PM
Review by jpony321 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): I have been taking this pill for 4 months. My period start every 5-6 weeks instead of monthly. This is very annoying. My breast are always tender. And my kood swings are very noticeable by everyone.

October 25, 2013 8:30 AM
Review by liv92: User Rating:

Errin (norethindrone): I have been on Errin norethindrone tablets for almost five months now and have liked it a lot more than regular birth control tablets. I gained a lot of weight on birth control with estrogen and have not on Errin, which I liked. But, it has not helped acne like my old birth control. I also haven't had a period since the first week I took Errin, which is somewhat concerning, but I'm not pregnant, so I assume it is just my body getting used to the medication. Errin has not effected my mood or mentality.

October 21, 2013 4:57 PM
Review by i love this pill so much!: User Rating:

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): I've been on it about a year, and love it. It took a few months for my body to settle into it. The combined oral birth control pill gave me problems of high blood pressure, etc. No pregnancy, only one month where my period was about a week and a half late and after that I had two periods a month for two months. Now I've settled back into it. I have actually lost weight and before I started dieting my breast size had increased by about a cup size. It was great! I still like it and then I'm happy to continue it.

October 5, 2013 9:53 PM
Review by Talisia (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

norethindrone: Everything was fine at first, in the last 2 months I've had serious mood swings which is atypical for me but the worst of it all is I have had SERIOUS HAIR LOSS!! Thought it was because I gave birth 7 months ago but the more I research it, the more connections I'm finding to the birth control. Hair was once so thick I broke hair ties on a regular basis now I have a receding hair line and bald spots.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 3, 2013 3:24 AM
Review by weareheathens (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Jolivette (norethindrone): I've been taking Jolivette for three months now, and couldn't complain about it. I used to have crazy irregular periods, for instance, the month before I started I had a 10 day cycle, which meant two and a half periods in a calender month, and the time before was 50 days. Since taking Jolivette I haven't had a single period. No cramping, bloating, weight gain, mood swings, nothing. In fact, I've lost weight. It's also great because I no longer get migraines as opposed to being on an estrogen pill. Would recommend it to anyone.

September 14, 2013 5:12 PM
Review by starbucksmama (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Errin (norethindrone): I didn't notice any side effects with Errin until I was on it for about 5 months. That's when I realized I was depressed. Cried at the drop of a hat and for no reason, got upset/angry at things that I normally wouldn't think twice about, etc. I didn't know what was causing this but decided to go off the pill to see if that would help. Within a couple weeks, I was back to my old self. I also didn't realize it at the time, but Errin seriously lowered my sex drive.

September 13, 2013 12:14 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Nora-Be (norethindrone): I've been on this pill for about 9 months now, and while I love not having a period and no mood swings. I've had terrible acne, breast tenderness (to the point of walking is painful) and I've put on about 15lbs. I've even increased my exercise and gone on a diet and I'm still putting on weight.

September 7, 2013 12:05 PM
Review by emah16: User Rating:

Errin (norethindrone): I was on Yaz for years and absolutely adored it, but had to switch to the mini-pill when I found out estrogen pills could cause major medical issues with my tunnel-vision migraines. I have grown to truly enjoy this pill as well. I stopped getting my period after two months on the pill, and if it does show up, it usually only lasts a few days. I am naturally petite, but I didn't notice any weight gain that seemed usual. I do have to warn that the first month was very frustrating for me, seeing as I bled for three weeks, but this is also true for many other birth control pills!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 5, 2013 5:04 PM
Review by GirlishD28 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

norethindrone: I've been on the 'mini pill' for a few years now. I'm close to 35 and I smoke so my Gyno doesn't want me on the combination pill. I have had zero bad effects from this pill, I'm a sexually active female and have never had any problems with pregnancy while on this pill. Heres the KEY, ladies - let me put it in caps so everyone can follow along - YOU HAVE TO TAKE THIS PILL AT THE SAME TIME EVERY SINGLE DAY, if you don't you will get the break through bleeding that can happen to some girls who just pop it whenever they remember - and possibly get pregnant since you're not keeping the needed level of hormones in your body to prevent pregnancy. This pill is safe and it's effective in preventing pregnancy providing you take it daily at the same time.

August 21, 2013 8:55 AM
Review by Drodriguez: User Rating:

Jolivette (norethindrone): I've been on Jolivette for almost a year and it was working fine until now. I had a period that finished 6 days ago that lasted 4 days and I started another one today. Makes no sense to me. I have not missed a single pill. I hope this isn't the way it's going to be from now on because I don't have the time to have a period every six days! Thank goodness my yearly check up is next month.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 8, 2013 2:23 PM
Review by Booper22 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

norethindrone: I had to get off birth control with estrogen because I was getting dark splotches on my face from it (I had been on Yaz for 10 years at that point. I just switched to norethindrone about 4/5 months ago and sometimes I get extremely sensitive/sore nipples, vaginal discharge heavier than ever before, and a little bit of acne. Other than those 3 symptoms (the nipples being the most disconcerting) I like the pill. It's annoying never knowing when or if I'm going to get my period (I haven't had it for a couple months now), but I used to break through bleed on other birth controls and I haven't so far with this one.

July 17, 2013 10:51 AM
Review by Lid: User Rating:

Jolivette (norethindrone): I was on the patch. Due to migraines I switched to this, which gave me no migraine. Just a little mood swing when I'm on my period. If you take it on time, you will have no bleeding problem. It is very good.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 11, 2013 8:59 PM
Review by Ldeca: User Rating:

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): I have been taking this birth control for about 7 months now. Overall it is a very. It took me about a month to get used to it and I had 4 or 5 months after that, that were excellent. Some people would get spotting when they were even a half hour late taking this, I had no problem whatsoever when I'd take it late. In the last couple of months, however, I have been having a period every 2 weeks. Sometimes the second one would be more spotting than bleeding, but still very annoying. Also, I have gone up 2 cups sizes since taking this medication. No real noticeable weight gain otherwise, just much larger breasts!

July 9, 2013 5:28 PM
Review by HolaGirl (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): So far so good. I've been taking this pill for almost 2 months (I know it's kind of a short time to claim results) but it's been treating me well. I made sure I put an alarm on my phone to ensure that I take it on time everyday. So far I have experienced headaches from time to time. About two times, I took the pill about 2 hrs late and had light bleeding from then up until a week which is a pain. I know more time will tell for real results but just wanted to give a review of beginning side effects for me.

July 3, 2013 2:10 PM
Review by PattyLou82:

norethindrone: I have been taking these pills for two months now and have had two periods in a given month. I've also had extreme mood swings that seem to be driving my family insane. On top of all this I've had migraines, sudden and very severe headaches.

May 31, 2013 6:43 PM
Review by HEB (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Jolivette (norethindrone): I started taking this after my son was born because I am breastfeeding. I've been on the medication for about 7 months now. Unfortunately, last month I had two periods! Two full periods, not spotting. This appears to be happening again this month, and I just can't have my period every other week. It's too messy and exhausting, on top of having a one year old.

May 17, 2013 9:23 AM