Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Errin, Heather, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Norlyroc, Ortho Micronor

Learn more about Norethindrone.

Norethindrone review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 193 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Birth Control

Review by APry (taken for less than 1 month):

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome nearing two years ago. I am also one of those people that ends up having every side effect possible. I haven't had one single side effect which is glorious! I've tried Alesse/Alysena, Yaz, Tri-Cyclen, and some other kind. All with horrible side effects. It's been a week so far and this is beyond the point where I would be searching for another type. Highly recommend.

February 25, 2015 9:40 PM

Review by Jenregen (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lyza (norethindrone): The only negative side effects I've had is longer bleeding per cycle and mood swings when I go off and onto the pill. The mood swings happen with every type of birth control I've used, so that isn't so abnormal. The bleeding is a bit odd but the doctor said it was a normal side effect for the pill.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 2:44 PM

Review by chrissypoo123 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Heather (norethindrone): I at 53 I took Heather for birth control for the last 3 1/2 yrs. My doctor decided that I should not be on the pill anymore and I needed to stop taking them. During the time I was on the pill I never had a period. I loved it, no weight gain, no side effects. Since I have been off of them I still have no period. My doctor said I probably will have gone through menopause and never had the symptoms.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2015 11:44 PM

Review by SilverLo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Heather (norethindrone): I started taking Heather shortly after giving birth so that it wouldn't reduce my milk supply and I've been taking it for over a year now. I am still breast-feeding and have not had a period this entire time. I've also noticed that my moods are greatly restrained, meaning I almost never cry (even when I want to, like funerals), but I also don't get overly happy either. I've been losing weight this whole time (still overweight), which may be related to the breast-feeding or not.

January 23, 2015 5:06 PM

Review by Joanne M. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Jolivette (norethindrone): I had heavy migraines with my previous pill so doctor recommended Jolivette. The migraine was gone for good, no pain at all. But I have side effects. First I don't have my period for 3 months which the doctor says it's common. I also gained weight very fast and gained a lot of abdominal perimeter. And sometimes my mood swings are very intense. Overall this pill treated the pain that I was having, but I feel uncomfortable gaining weight and not being able to control my cycle due to the lack of period. I will be taking it for a couple more months to see if something changes.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 2:08 PM

Review by Trinity P (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Jolivette (norethindrone): I've been taking the mini pill for three months now! My first period lasted three days with the first day heavy and the rest with spotting. I chose this mini pill for a few reasons. I have 4 day periods with heavy flow and horrible back pain. I love to snowboard so that wasn't going to be okay to be dealing with. As well, my family has a history of mental health to which I don't like to play with the chemistry in my body. So far I've been on it for three months with one period! Of course I'm loving this mini pill but when is my period going to hit?! I haven't gained any weight and my breasts are not tender.

January 13, 2015 11:28 AM

Review by Amanda M. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nora-Be (norethindrone): I love this birth control! I have struggled since I was 16 with finding a birth control that was right for me. I have had so many issues with abnormal bleeding, mood swings, weight gain etc, and have not liked the fact that the long term effects of birth control can lead to heart disease, blood clots and more. This birth control has changed my life. I have lost all of my mood swings, I feel so much better in general, I have lost weight and most of all ladies my sex drive is THROUGH THE ROOF. Not that me or my husband are complaining. It's been a very nice thing. All you have to do is take it every day at the same time. And no matter how busy your schedule you can set a simple alarm on your phone. Try this pill! You won't regret it!

January 10, 2015 9:10 PM

Review by Taral18 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): I love this birth control. With all 4 of my children, I start taking this pill daily 6 weeks post partum. I've nursed all my children for over a year. With my first 3, I never had a period until my child weaned around 13 months old. My 4th is 10 month old and I just started a period. Not sure why but not worried about it. This time we also use condoms for extra protection but we didn't with the other 3 and we never had any surprise pregnancies. Effective and I've never had any noticeable side effects other than being less moody and more even keel. Normally no cramping, spotting, nothing. Great method for us. I'll probably continue using it after my dd weans and use condoms as well.

December 21, 2014 12:20 AM

Review by Hmmmm13535 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Camila (norethindrone): I've been on birth control for 10 years and had to switch to a progestin version due to high blood pressure.. I had NO problems with my previous birth control, however with Camila I have not stopped spotting since I started it a month and a half ago. I've had headaches almost every day, and hormonal acne has increased (chin and forehead) also my hair has been falling out in clumps! I've never heard of this before and I'm so frustrated. You have to take it at the same time every day too. I'm stopping it today.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2014 1:52 PM

Review by IAmPriscilla (taken for 1 to 6 months):

The first time I used it after my first pregnancy while breastfeeding, it was great. It even extended my cycle and I'd often have a lighter shorter period every other month. But after my second pregnancy it seems to be doing the oposite! I've already had my period 3 times this month! Don't know what caused it to have a drastic change in side effects for me. Other than, the unpredictable cycle, I've had no other problems with it.

December 15, 2014 9:12 PM

Review by Emmy3:

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): I have been taking Micronor for almost a month now. I used to take Yaz for 2 years but had to stop due to migraines. I've honestly had 0 problems with Micronor, much to my surprise after reading so many negative reviews. I do not have spotting, weight gain, etc. It doesn't help my acne, but I don't think it's making it worse. I think people may be having issues with spotting and heavy bleeding because they are not taking the pill at the exact same time every day. I take it at exactly 6 and have had no problems!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 9:33 PM

Review by Long term user (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Camila (norethindrone): I've been using Camilla for 2-3 years now. I have not had any pregnancies. I am unable to use estrogen pills because of side effects and Camila has been a lot better in terms of that. However, after about a year of using it my periods are incredibly irregular. I'll sometimes get them every two weeks, sometimes I won't have one for 2 months, and sometimes I'll spot all month long. Compared to the estrogen pill problems I had it's okay, but if you're planning on using Camila to regulate periods- good luck.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 8:12 PM

Review by Shelby5:

Errin (norethindrone): I immediately noticed ( day 2) small problems but by day 4 , I was feeling very depressed, my hip joint was hurting, had abdominal pain and I was crying so much. My blood pressure also elevated so I had to stop taking it.

November 4, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by Mhunt73 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Love this pill...Went on it after both my pregnancies and never had a period. No weight gain, Acne, or anything.

October 28, 2014 6:56 PM

Review by BSF:

This birth control has been such a great thing! I am acne prone and have broke out badly on every pill/ring I have taken before Lyza. This has made my skin so clear and smooth and has really helped my confidence. It also has stabilized my moods versus other birth control methods. The only downside is occasional spotting but my overall period is much lighter with little to no side effects. Different methods work for different people but if you have skin problems and haven't found a solution yet, try this!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2014 1:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking this at 6 weeks post Partum for birth control while nursing. I feel like I have had a period now non-stop or I just have spotting and no idea when my actual period is due anymore. I've quit trying to figure it out; obviously I'm annoyed! It's supposed to not bother lactation, but there has been a definite decrease In my milk supply. Planning to finish this pack out and quit and use a backup. I would rather have no birth control pill at this point than all this spotting constantly! Also, I have been noticing a change in vision, but I have blamed it constantly on my contacts, lol! Seems to be a common side effect- maybe that's my problem!

September 27, 2014 12:52 AM

Review by hatealaska (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been on this birth control for almost three years now, and during this time I haven't had my period once. I love that about it. I started this pill due to daily nausea and Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Diarrhea. The biggest con to this pill is that I have ZERO SEX DRIVE. It is so frustrating. It's causing tension in my relationship and I will be looking to switch to another pill.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 13, 2014 9:45 PM

Review by TheGem:

Nora-Be (norethindrone): I'm a 16 year old girl who uses birth control for maintaining clear skin due to acne, nausea in the morning, and a heavy flow. I've tried many different kinds of pills and this one was by far the worst. I typically don't have too much acne (about 3 pimples per month, if that). However, when I started this pill I broke out all over my face. I have NEVER had this much acne before. I just picked up a new birth control today so hopefully when I start using this one the remaining acne on my face will go away. It's ridiculous.

July 29, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by Bitty16:

Lyza (norethindrone): So I have been taking Lyza for 5 months now. If I am 1hour or more late on taking my pill then I will automatically start a bleeding cycle for 5 days at least. I have no clue when my period actually is anymore. I also have had a 15 pound weight gain. I have also been losing hair, been depressed, and other odd things. I do not like this birth control at all, does not work well with my body.

July 29, 2014 3:14 AM

Review by valley83:

I have been on this pill for a month and I have had my period 3 times, get headaches, cramps and worst of all its dried up breast milk which is why I went on the mini pill to avoid it. I get less than half an ounce when I used to get 4 oz. And I've gained about 8-10 lbs in a month, overall not good for breastfeeding moms.

July 15, 2014 2:33 PM

Review by Mandy J (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lyza (norethindrone): I've been on Lyza for a month. I've had one period since then and although I didn't have horrifically heavy flow the first 2-3 days (part of the reason I wanted to be on birth control again), my period was a little longer. I have less appetite, which I guess is OK. I had less horribly painful cramps, it didn't wake me up in the middle of the night like it usually does. A little breast tenderness. I had really bad headaches for a long time and this seems to have helped. I was prescribed this particular one because combined pills make me nauseous. Seems OK thus far.

July 14, 2014 11:19 AM

Review by JuJu Grate (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Errin (norethindrone): I have been on this pill since November and I love it. I have not had a period since then. I only spot when I forget to take the pill. This honestly has been the best pill I have been on. I have had no bad side effects from this pill. I would recommend it to anyone who can only do progesterone only.

July 9, 2014 10:53 AM

Review by analise7321:

I have always had a hard tine with birth control. I was on the Nuvaring for 5 years until I started having problems (extreme vaginal pains, pain when having sex, etc.) And was put on norethindrone for the low dose hormones. My vision was very blurred and I had extreme balance and depth perception issues. I work at an automotive and electric motor mechanic and was losing balance carrying 50lb motors in my hands. I was not only hitting my hand with a hammer but also hit my boss' hand a few times (he was completely understanding) but needless to say with my line of work, this birth control was not going to work for me and I was unable to wait the three month period to see if it would subside.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by Jills:

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): My only problem is that of I ever miss my pill just by 1 day I automatically get a normal 4 day period the next day even if I take a double dose, and once again get my period every 16th of the month.

June 4, 2014 2:54 PM

Review by Dove Light (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nora-Be (norethindrone): I've been on this pill for 1 month and its been treating me good so far, only side effects experienced was breast tenderness, increased appetite, itchy scalp.

May 25, 2014 2:55 PM