User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Deblitane, Errin, Heather, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Norlyroc, Ortho Micronor, Sharobel

Learn more about Norethindrone.

Norethindrone Review Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 209 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Birth Control

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I switched from a combined pill to Nora-Be about four months ago because the doctor said I couldn't take estrogen because of chest pain and migraines. The pill is 100% very effective and no mood swings, no migraines. However, the bad side effects were excessive hair shedding I mean more than the normal, excessive bloating even without carb intake. I also had cramping, hardly bleeding just spotting. My period was never on time but can feel the symptoms of PMS. Overall, pill is very effective but excessive hair loss!"

unanimous August 27, 2015

Lyza (norethindrone): "So I've only been on the pill for a month and a week and its been good in comparison so the estrogen based birth control I was on previously because I have a sex drive and I'm not flipping out and acting crazy at all - but I keep getting what seems to be my period. I got my period two weeks into the pill and then I got my period again a week later then had a blood free week at the end of the pill pack but I'm coming close to the end of this next week and I'm bleeding again. Is this normal or should I see a doctor? Its really nerve wracking."

ZoDoe August 24, 2015

Lyza (norethindrone): "I have been taking these pills for 6 months now and am completely at my wits end; I don't notice any weight gain, though my boobs have grown slightly. However.. The abnormal bleeding is driving me crazy! I am grateful that is the only main side effect but it's a total curse. I am bleeding at least 15-20 days during the month and it's just enough so that I'm always wearing a panty liner. Goes without saying, my boyfriend and I are pretty unhappy with our sex life. I obsessively take the pill every single day at the same time and have never skipped a pill- I STILL find myself bleeding every other week. I am stopping these pills and plan on talking to my doc about my other options; if there are no other options we might stick to condoms only."

SPG1 August 22, 2015

Lyza (norethindrone): "I am almost at a month of taking this birth control. 4 days to go. I am also using it to help with Endometriosis. I have had a cycle and it lasted like normal three days and very light which is awesome. Now I have noticed that I have a crazy craving for hot and spicy food like everyday I need to eat something spicy. Other than that craving it works well. If anything changes next month I'll be sure to share my experience."

Miss A87 August 18, 2015

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I'm taking this for the first time because I'm breastfeeding. I'm at the end of the 4th month. I haven't had a period at all. I've experienced mood fluctuations, moderate acne (unusual for me), hair loss and inability to lose weight. As others have mentioned, I feel hungry often and crave chocolate. I will be discussing other options with my ob/gyn."

kmpr77791215 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2015

Sharobel (norethindrone): "The first 4 or so months on this pill were atrocious. Like everyone says...bleeding/cramping/spotting that did not stop for longer than a few days here and there...but I didn't get any other side effects which is the only reason I stuck with it. Things finally evened out about 5 or 6 months and I'll either get a normal period or nothing at all. The only possible side effect now is it seems I get night sweats around the time I would be PMSing but I got those before this pill. So that could just be me. I also have fibroids and had zero hope for this working for heavy bleeding since Mirena and Lysteda both failed me. I'm happy for now, hopefully it doesn't turn against me!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 12, 2015

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "So I have been taking this for about 5 days now and I felt compelled to write a review. I have taken tons of different birth control methods consisting of both hormones of estrogen and progestin. I am pleased to say that so far this has been working well for me. I think it is worth a shot to try but as you know every woman is different. I am still thinking this is too good to be true, but it has been a blessing so far to not wake up dizzy, fatigued, headaches, or nausea. The only things I have noticed so far are some bloating, light spotting, very little fatigue (nothing compared to other birth controls), and a slight stomach cramp before my alarm goes off to take the pill (perhaps when its almost run out?). Worth a try."

Alexi Marie August 11, 2015

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I've had a horrible experience on this pill. I started taking it after my third child and it has absolutely altered my mental wellbeing. I have been depressed, anxious, nervous, angry, it's been a nightmare. Stopping right away, good to know I'm not the only one going through this."

MommyOfSuperKids July 31, 2015

"I started taking this medicine about 2 months ago and have not had a period since! No weight gain, no cramping, nothing. I love it!"

Cat225 July 31, 2015

"I just started my 3rd pack of Norethindrone. It's much better than the combo pill I used to take because that made me gain 15 pounds, cry constantly, and give me mood swings.The first month wasn't bad but these last few weeks have been awful. I've bled for at least 20 days out of this month. Sometimes it's light spotting and then sometimes it's heavy DARK blood within days of my normal period ending. I'm constantly paranoid I'm going to bleed through my clothes and having to wear a tampon constantly is annoying and expensive. I've also noticed that my breasts are larger which yeah is kinda nice but none of my bras fit and the past few weeks they've been constantly tender. I'm giving it one more month."

kams2345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2015

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I am on the third month of this pill. No pregnancy, which is the point and no mood swings or weight gain. BUT ... I am having my period for the third time this month. First month went well, period came on time, lasted a week, second month same thing but this month has been just more than obnoxious. I had my period, then nothing for two days, then slight cramps and another light period for another 4 days, then nothing for about 5 days and yet again cramps today and next thing I know, I'm bleeding again. Hopefully this resolves itself soon. Outside of that, it is as if I'm not taking anything."

ADGJ July 23, 2015

Errin (norethindrone): "I was recommended the Mirena or Errin because they were non hormonal 2 yrs ago. I chose the Mirena and hated it. I decided to end it with that got pregnant with my 2nd child decided to get on another non hormonal because I'm breastfeeding. This time I chose errin and love it the first 2 months I would get 2 periods instead of 1 it is the same length (3-4 days) and flow since I was younger. As of this month (July) I have not had a period."

Navazquez (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2015

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I've tried many, many forms of BCPs. Having given up hope that I could find a decent pill that didn't cause weight gain and depression, I made an appointment to get a Mirena IUD or the implanon. I asked my doctor one more time if she thought there were any low-dose options I should try and she put me on this. So far so good. I can normally tell what the side effects are very quickly upon trying a new pill. This one seems fine so far and it's only been a few weeks. With all pills containing estrogen I feel very foggy, a bit depressed, my athleticism suffers, I don't sleep as well, and I gain weight. I already lost 3 pounds when switching to this pill without any dietary changes. I feel great when climbing/hiking/running."

Rachel99508 July 15, 2015

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "25 yo married with no kids. I took Nora-Be for almost a year. Spotting and irregularity for the first 3 months, as expected. Periods became more consistent after that (and lighter), but I still had them every month (not a big deal to me). The thing I did have a problem with was the extreme mood swings and increased yeast infections. My doctor and my husband didn't believe me about the mood swings, but I knew I wasnt *really* that emotionally unstable! I kept going with it because I didn't stand up for myself, until I went and spoke to two different pharmacists. They were the first ones to believe me about the mood swings, so I finally got the courage to stop Nora-Be. I am on a different POP (for almost a year now) and no more mood swings!"

JD. July 15, 2015

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I'm 38 years old and have been taking Nora-BE for 10 months. I have never been pregnant, and do not plan to have children. I chose this pill because I was looking for a progestin only option with low hormones. My Dr also suggested it as a safer option because I am a smoker. Overall, my experience has been pretty positive on this pill. Way less mood swings than other pills I have been on. I get a period about every 28 days for about 5-6 days that is heavy for about 3 days and lighter the last 3 days. No spotting between periods. My sex drive increased after the first month and has remained strong. Some breast tenderness and back pain about a week before my period. Worst part: weight gain of 15 lbs and some facial hair and acne."

Coloradolady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2015

Jolivette (norethindrone): "All the other reviews make this pill sound horrid. I have been on this pill for two years. Let me tell you, the first few months of taking this pill is hell. Complete hell. I had a period every other week, I broke out, I gained weight, I had mood swings. I talked to my doctor too switch but he insisted I stay on it. And I did. Months went by and the side effects went away. My period just kinda comes and go's when it wants. But other than that its fantastic. I take it everyday at the the same time. Stick with it and all will be fine :)"

ZombieGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2015

Lyza (norethindrone): "I am twenty-two years old and I started taking the pill on the last day of my period (May 12th). I bleed six to nine days later (May 18th - May 21st, can't remember exactly). I also bleed nine days after that (May 30th), twenty three days after that (June 22nd), and today is twelve days since then (July 4th). Every time it was heavy bleeding and has seemed like a period. There has been severe cramping as usual and I feel awful and it's worse because it's happening so much more than before! Each time I have bleed has lasted two to seven days. This pill is frustrating because I cannot tell what is my period and what is the in-between bleeding!! It seems to have worsened my depression, too.."

OchaObsessed July 4, 2015

Sharobel (norethindrone): "This is my first month on the pill to help stop my periods. I was okay for the first two weeks of taking the pill,no problem whatsoever, apart from increases cup size from a D to DD (also they feel fuller too, which can be very uncomfortable). I always take the medicine on time ,until the third week, where I had to go on a trip, and I would end up taking the pill maybe like 20 mins to half an hour later. And almost instantly after my 4 day trip , I started spotting and a day later it switched to a full blown period(cramps and heavy flow). It's been a week since all this began and as of tonight it will be switching to week 2. I don't know if it's because I was a few minutes late or what, but this is very annoying .."

concernedfirsttimeuser June 29, 2015

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I have been on regular pills for about 25 years without issue. I just finished my first pack of this and am not sure I want to start my second. I have been so irrationally angry, stressed and depressed this last month. Angry over little things to the point of not sleeping several nights. I honestly was very concerned about what was happening to me. Also had very sore nipples and am super hungry all the time. So happy to find that others experienced this and I'm not losing my mind!!! I did not get my period which is usual for me but I do have cramps."

MzDeeBee June 28, 2015

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I'm taking Nora-B for almost 2 years. First year was great 8 months no period and than suddenly the period start to show up every 6 months, than 3 months. So I'm asking if I'm taking this pill everyday at the same time and period is coming. Some headaches with it. So 'Im not happy at all. Thinking to change for another pill. Maybe the body got tired of taking the same one."

Jade67 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2015

Errin (norethindrone): "I'm at the end of my 2nd month. First month was on the .25 dose. Gained 4-5 pounds in the first 2 weeks! I'm very petite and have been the same weight for 20 years so this was a huge drawback. My Dr. changed me to the .35 dose and still the same weight but now more pimples and bled for 2 weeks. Also, I think this pill makes me feel kind of BLAH and empty inside. Could be environmental factors but I think I'll be switching soon!"

FoolMeOnceAgain June 25, 2015

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "My experience with this pill has been okay but my periods do last longer now for about 8 days and I also spot in between which is very annoying. I also take the pill at the same time everyday. I don't think I'll be staying on this pill for to much longer."

Jaylove23 June 16, 2015

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I am 25 years old, female, no kids. Tried combination pill for 2 months about 5 years ago, absolutely hated it so no BC other than condoms since then. I started Nora-Be a month ago about a week after end of period. Waited 3 days before having unprotected sex, no problem. Just had my period as scheduled this past week, was slightly lighter but still lasted 6 days total as usual. Some cramps the first couple of days. The only obvious side effects the first 2 weeks was dryness/itchiness down there and slight increase in moodiness but all is good now."

Kay-bay June 15, 2015

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I've been on Nora-Be for 4 months now. For the first 3 months, the spotting seemed never-ending. It would stop for a few days and then start again. It was so annoying feeling like I should always keep a tampon in, just in case. I've gotten increased acne, but not too bad. I've also had an increased appetite and gained about 15lbs! Major bummer! I wasn't eating well either, but I've NEVER gained weight this fast! This past month, no spotting. My period actually came a couple weeks later than expected. I almost thought I was pregnant. This pill was useful as birth control- 2 stars for that. But now I've been experiencing mood swings and depression in overdrive. I cry so easily and so often now. I'm planning on trying the full pill."

CherryOnTop82295 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

Jolivette (norethindrone): "I have been on jolivette for almost a year now and love it. I may go 6-8 weeks between bleeding so i take home tests just to rule out pregnancy. So far, so good!"

HM530 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 2, 2015