User Reviews for Namenda

Learn more about Namenda.

Alzheimer's Disease 10 reviews 27 medications

4.6
Summary of Namenda reviews 10 reviews 4.6

Reviews for Namenda

"My mom was given Namenda and got worse. Had hallucinations and got to the point that she didnt know me got very aggressive."

jtk (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

For Alzheimer's Disease "My wife (74) has been taking Namenda since the first diagnosis of Alzheimers two years ago. She also takes any supplement that promises to help retain or improve memory. Her memory has stayed about the same or gotten a little worse in that time. She has also taken Aricept during the same period."

#1caregiver October 16, 2014

For Alzheimer's Disease "My mom is 94 we started her on this medication because she was confused to the point of argument mostly in the late afternoon till bed time. After 5 days of treatment she seamed to be worse starting when she wakes up. Not sure what to do except to call doctor on Monday to ask what we should do."

Kerryokie August 10, 2013

For Alzheimer's Disease "My mother has been taking Namenda for Alzheimer's for over a year now. She was first prescribed Aricept which made her more anxious/hyperactive & no noticeable positive impact. After 2 weeks of Namenda, there was noticeable improvement in her cognitive abilities. In fact, the light bulb finally went off & she realized she had Alzheimer's. She spent the next several days on the phone breaking the news to family and friends, who had known for over 2 years by that time. My opinion: Namenda keeps her in 2013 - in the present. Her logic, reasoning, problem-solving skills, short term memory, comprehension and communication skills are impaired from the disease, but she recognizes this and acknowledges her feelings of confusion."

KittensGma (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alzheimer's Disease "We started my Dad on Namenda and by day 2 he was more confused, lost and irritable than usual so my Mom stopped it. The Dr asked her to start again and the same day he experienced the same side effects so she stopped. Last week she decided to try it one more time to make sure. Dad was VERY confused and not easy to take care of. I guess he is just one of those people that can't take this medication. Too bad. It helps so many people."

Anonymous April 6, 2012

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alzheimer's Disease "Mom has taken since 2007. Wish it was a time release medication. Too hard to get Alzheimer's patients to take medicines even once a day. It does help but may cause dehydration."

Anonymous February 18, 2012

For Alzheimer's Disease "My mother has been treated with the Exelon (patch) for two years now. Last month she was changed to Namenda. She has become irritable, aggressive/depressed and more confused than before. We are asking the doctor to switch back to Exelon."

daughterconcern January 16, 2012

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alzheimer's Disease "My wife started with two a day in conjunction with Exelon patch ..was dizzy so went to one a day. After 8 months her short memory is worse so we want to go to the two a day routine."

berbil November 21, 2011

"I have MS and NAMENDA has improved my cognitive problems significantly in just 2 weeks."

Anonymous February 24, 2011

For Alzheimer's Disease "Patient exhibits no improvement after 12 months of supervised treatment."

kalck August 31, 2010

"The side effect of dizziness and the associated tendency to fall were very bothersome. The hoped for improvement in mental clarity (which is intermittent at present and results in confusion at unpredictable times and places) did not occur -- in fact, I would have to say that I felt "spacey" on this medication rather than clearer in my thought processes. My doctor prescribed "off label" so that may explain my negative experience. On the other hand, I wonder if the Alzheimer's patients are able to adequately articulate to their caregivers that they feel certain side effects such as dizziness or "spacey" feelings. If not, the side effects could easily be attributed to the Alzheimer's disease rather than the medication."

Anonymous January 29, 2010

For Alzheimer's Disease "My Mother has taken Namenda since it was approved. I think it may help slow the neurological decline of a patient."

BDN JD May 20, 2009

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alzheimer's Disease "After 2 years of taking Namenda at age 93 she is no worse. It may have helped by slowing down or stopping this terrible condition."

Anonymous September 19, 2008

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate