User Reviews for Mefenamic acid

Also known as: Ponstel

Learn more about Mefenamic acid.

Period Pain 20 reviews 82 medications

7.6
Pain 1 reviews 935 medications

Summary of Mefenamic acid reviews 21 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Mefenamic acid

For Period Pain: "I was prescribed mefenam acid for menstrual pain, took it as directed...and it did absolutely nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. I might as well have taken a sugar pill. I was actually shocked to see that so many people love it so much, because I had been under the impression it was complete garbage. Judging by the other reviews I've seen, it's worth a try. But be aware there is a chance it won't do anything."

TurtleJar May 2, 2015

For Period Pain: "I've took this for the first time today. I was prescribed it after very painful periods and advised to take when I have pain for as many days as I need (the first day being so bad I am crying in pain and having time off work) I started to get period cramps today took 1 dose and within an hour had no pain at all. I usually have vomiting and diarrhea with the first day but this has disappeared as well. It has also made my period so much lighter. Best medication I have had for period pain."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2015

For : "My neurologist prescribed me mefenamic acid to stop my migraines. We had also tried Topamax (made me crazy). The only medicine that works is Relpax."

Migraine queen (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2014

For Period Pain: "I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and during my periods can literally only lie on the floor screaming without these tablets. They're amazing. I do have to take codeine as well for maximum pain control but this is what takes 3/4 of the pain away."

Nick21sssss December 20, 2014

For Period Pain: "I started this medication 'Mefenamic/Ponstan' over 3 months ago and only use it when I am on my period. I have severe cramps and intense pain especially the first day of my period and have tried all kinds of medications to try counter the pain. The pain would be quite intense and leave me practically unable to carry on with my daily routine, instead I would lie around,rolling around in bed withering with the pain. I switched doctors and she recommended this to me, I only take it once,the same day I get my period when I feel the pain escalating, the pill kicks in within 30 minutes and I was amazed with the effects. with no side effects to report I have to say it has been a lifesaver! No other pill has worked for me the way this pill has"

emrosh May 6, 2014

For Pain: "I found while mefenamic acid worked, I suffered from almost all the minor side effects and the medium side effects, all after taking the medicine for a month. I have been in constant pain from the side effects and I am not taking it anymore, been off for about 2 months and still suffering."

Stella137 February 14, 2014

For Period Pain: "I have only started using this medication which I have been prescribed by my GP and it relieved me of most symptoms. I experienced most symptoms of painful periods ranging from vomiting to very severe cramps. This medicine worked within about 10-20 minutes however some cramps can still be felt but very minor."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2013

For Period Pain: "I always have a pain during my period and sometimes it pains really bad! So I took mefenamic tablets as my doctor prescribed and it really worked on me. It hardly took 10-15 minutes to ease the pain but I always felt dizzy after taking 1 tablet! I sometimes took 1/2 tablet during lesser pain which still worked out for me!"

winy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2013

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "As a 17 year old I have taken these pills sparingly during the beginning of my most painful cycles. Depending on the severity of the pain the medicine can take from 15 minutes to an hour to take effect (the longer time for the more painful cycles). Also severe cramps may still be felt when the medicine is in full swing although it feels like a minor cramp."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 8, 2012

For Period Pain: "This medicine was effective for pain but it left me with chronic GASTRITIS and NAUSEA."

Noise.noisy (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2012

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "I have endometriosis and I have been suffering from serious period pain since I was 11 when I started having my period. I have been on a list of birth control pills that have not worked properly with my body. I asked about Ponstel after I had my surgery and he prescribed it right away. I have pain in between and during my period (so basically all the time) so he said take it as needed. It only takes a few pills and I will feel absolutely wonderful like I'm living on a cloud when it kicks in. I don't think it takes more than 20 minutes for it to start working. "

Anonymous February 4, 2012

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for : "I have a big ovarian cyst on my right ovary so my doctor told me to try Pontsel but I've been using it and nothing has changed for me."

Anonymous September 23, 2011

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "About 16 years ago I began having severe vomiting and some abdominal pain with my period. My symptoms were debilitating monthly for 3-5 days and greatly limited my daily activities. I tried over the counter remedies such as Advil, Tylenol, Naproxen and Pamprin none of which did anything to alleviate my symptoms. Then I tried Ponstel. My mother had been taking Ponstel for years for the same problems so we thought it was worth a try. What a difference it made! It took the edge off the pain and totally relieved the vomiting. To be the most effective, it does have to be taken at the onset or just before the onset of symptoms. The only down side to it is that insurance companies don't want to cover it, and it isn't cheap."

Anonymous September 23, 2011

For Period Pain: "I usually get awful menstrual cramps - to the point where I almost pass out, cannot focus on anything else, and am unable to do anything for the first 2 days of my period. I have recently been put on the pill Microgynon 30, along with Mefenamic acid and so far have had very little pain at all. I have been able to carry on as normal without stopping every few hours doubled up in pain. This is especially good news as I have exams coming up this summer. So I would definitely recommend Mefenamic Acid as my period pains have almost completely stopped. It's heaven. However I have noticed no difference in the heaviness of my period unfortunately."

Anonymous April 11, 2011

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "I, too, have experienced such extreme menstrual pain. This has been going on since I was 14 (1979). I actually have a very high pain level tolerance and rarely use any medications for pain, with the exception of my dysmenorrhea. (I didn't even use pain medicines when I had surgery on my elbow to repair tendons on each side and to move my ulnar nerve). I have been taking Ponstel since 1999 and have found it is the ONLY medication so far to relieve my pain during menstruation. I do take it more often than others have listed before me. I am prescribed 2 caps at onset of pain and 1 cap every 5-6 hrs until all symptoms have ended (usually 4 days). Takes 45 mins to work on me. (Also prescribed for my occasional migraines.)"

JandyEMT March 30, 2011

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "I have had severe menstrual pain since I was 13 yrs old. Nothing has ever worked except when I was on the birth control pill. Doctor put me on Ponstel and it only worked for the first day. On day 2, 3 and 4 of my period it didn't work at all. Doctor is going to keep me on Ponstel and also added Vicodin for the couple of "bad days". We will see if it works. It did work better then Celebrex (faster) that is."

Anonymous November 15, 2010

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "My doctor prescribed me Ponstel recently. I suffer from endometriosis, and am in pain 3 weeks a month. I took the first pill, fell asleep shortly afterwards. When I woke up, I had horrible pains shooting through my stomach. I was told to stop taking it, and got prescribed good old Vicodin. I realize I'm in a small percentage of people who have had problems with this medicine, but since the other reviews have been good, I wanted to let people know that it does have side effects."

Anonymous July 31, 2010

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "Works very fast (10-15 minutes) and helped where others didn't without the loopy feeling of Vicodin. I only need a few pills a month for those first couple of days when it's bad so just had doctor write what I needed and pick up at pharmacy paying cash price. I used to miss work a lot but now it doesn't even bother me. Love it."

Anonymous January 19, 2010

For Period Pain: "Great medicine."

gurlygirl August 6, 2009

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "I found it to be very effective in the first 6 months of use. My period pain would start to subside within the first 15 minutes after taking it and it lasted for about 12 hours. Now it takes at least 1.50 hours for the pain to even start to subside and it only lasts for about 6 hours. It makes me so tired to the point where I have to take a nap and when I get up from my nap I feel extremely tired and "out of sorts". This feeling usually lasts the rest of the day no matter if I take a nap at 11:00 AM or 4:00 PM. So I only take Ponstel now when it is absolutely necessary."

Anonymous May 27, 2009

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "I've been suffering from severe dysmenohrea (menstrual pain) since I was 14 years old. Every month I experienced nauseating pain from uterine contractions. Over the counter medications never helped me. I used Buscopan for 10 years and it completely stopped working for me. My physician recommended Ponstel (Mefenamic Acid) and ever since I've been walking on clouds. It works wonders and COMPLETELY relieves my pain within 30 minutes. It works all day so I only have to take one pill in the morning. This medication saved me."

pmccall March 23, 2009

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "After many years of severe menstrual cramps and using just about every other NSAID on the market, my doctor prescribed me Ponstel and it was a God-send. It was well worth the extra copay. It was the only NSAID I took, with which I did not have to extra Tylenol with codeine or Vicodin to get relief."

Anonymous October 9, 2008

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "Ponstel was prescribed for severe period pain due to Fibroids and ovarian cysts. It was very effetive and I would definitely reccomend it! But just a cautionary note, this is a costly medication! I had to pay the highest copay on my prescription insurance. Get samples from your Doctor if at all possible!"

Anonymous April 28, 2008