User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 132 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Endometriosis

"I have been on MANY birth control pills and hardly any of them were beneficial to me. I switched to this injection and I'm so happy I did. I started birth control when I was 15 bc my cramps were unbearable. Endometriosis runs in the fam. I also had bad acne so I was trying to alleviate both of those issues. The depo shot didn't affect my acne in any way but it has almost completely diminished my cramps. The first 3 months were rough. didn't bleed for a month and 1/2 after getting it, but then I bled until it was time for my next shot. I got my second shot and didn't have my period for three months. It was AWESOME. Spotting around the due date for next shot is normal. Oh and the shots are painless. Stick through the rough first months!"

Ckw56 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2016

"I've had a horrible experience with this shot. I only wish I have read all of the horror reviews before getting it to save myself a year of hormonal problems and a scarred face from a cystic acne breakout. Once I got the shot I got online and started reading the reviews and was horrified because part of me knew I made a huge mistake- and oh did I. I bled for 6 months straight! I was practically drinking liquid iron by glasses because of how much blood I was losing after getting the shot. I got the shot BECAUSE of painful and heavy bleeding periods! But it only made it much much worse. I finally went back to my docs, they put me on patch that stopped the bleeding"

Moody24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

"Was on depo shot for 9 months. First I had lighter periods and the endometriosis pain was better. Second month I had light period but it was all month. And then after that the pain was less and there was no bleeding. I started to gain weight. Almost 50 pounds. I already have back pain from herniated disk so I did not go and get my last shot. Endometriosis pain is back ten times worse. And I have been bleeding almost nonstop since September 2015 and it is now March 1 2016. I'm gonna go back to the Dr and have a hysterectomy. I can not stand the bleeding or the pain"

Ellis maye March 1, 2016

"I have was dx with endometrosis back in 2010. I have had 4 chest tubes surgeries within 3 years. I was also dx with catamenial puemothorax which you can google to get more info about but it has a lot to do with my period etc it all goes together. But I have been on birth control pills, lupron and now on the depo. And I must say the only think that helps was the lupron , besides of the side effects of hot flashes, cold sweats etc. But the pill was a no go. I didn't like how it made me feel and I have been on the depo shots for a few months but I must say it worked in the 1st few months but now i have been bleeding for he last 4 months nonstop and I am just stop everything cause I'm so over with trying different things - its so frustrating."

Tae-Tae December 9, 2015

"I was recently put on depo provera as a last-ditch effort prior to undergoing a full hysterectomy to relieve serious pain from endometriosis. While it has been effective for relieving the pain, I have been heavily spotting or more for over 2 months now... every day. I decided not to get another shot and I am now experiencing random horrible stabbing pains in my ovary (not like the endometriosis pain). Pain aside... 2 months of feeling too gross to have sex - I feel bad for my husband! I was on depo for years during my younger years and never had any issues. I stopped taking it because I thought I was going to be able to have children; that turned out to not be the case, so I thought it couldn't hurt to try it again... bad choice!"

HML1226 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2015

"Do not get this shot! It tried to ruin my life. Heavy sporadic bleeding, mood swings, depression, headaches, body aches, NO sex drive, terrible cramps, I have little/no emotion for almost everything. I only had 2 shots. I just want to get back to my normal :("

Rocky birds December 2, 2015

"I've been on depo for almost two years now and have not had a period since i got the injection. i no longer have the debilitating cramps that i would get each month which is a godsend. after i'm first given the shot, i have about 5-7 days of being a little more emotional than usual but it's usually due to my hormones being balanced and changing a little, but it just means a bit of crying and basically how i used to be emotionally before a period. i have noticed that some nights i wake up with a really extreme cramp out of nowhere, but i believe that that might be an issue that's more to due with my hormone levels etc. either way, depo has definitely spared me from weeks spent in bed because of the painful cramps!"

kateeee1704 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 17, 2015

"I loved how convenient this was, one shot every three months, but, look into ANY birth control before you put anything in your body. I thought all was well for about a week and then I started heavily bleeding. I bled nonstop for the whole three months, and my gyno told me that the bleeding wouldn't stop anytime soon, even if I switch birth control. I've read that the bleeding is caused by the progesterone only in the shot, so some women need an estrogen supplement or a different method of birth control that contains estrogen (I'm on the patch now) to counteract the bleeding. My cramps were not as bad on the shot, but, they were still there and occurred more often than before I started on the shot."

Kay-Rosee October 15, 2015

"I started on the shot in 2013 to help with the pain from endometriosis my cycle was pretty regular but I was in constant pain. The first year went pretty good with no side effects after the first year I started bleeding heavily and continued to for three months I was put on estrogen and the depot shot went from every twelve weeks to ten weeks after three months of this I under went a uterine ablation the bleeding stopped but the pain from the endometriosis is still an every day problem and I have put on 45lbs my blood pressure has went up. My doctor and I have decided the depot shot is no longer an option. the shot worked I suggest monitoring your health while on it."

Shell7seas (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2015

"I have been on the shot for almost two months and I absolutely hate it. When I got the shot I was actually due for my period and never got it. I ended up getting my period about 2 weeks ago and have not stopped bleeding. I can not have sex, I can't wear white pants because it's so heavy, I can't go to the bathroom ( number 1 or number 2) because it hurts so bad, I have had horrible cramps, I don't sleep, I'm exhausted all the time, and I am constantly feeling grumpy. At this point I almost feel like nothing is going to help my endometeriosis, I'm 22 years old and due to be married in a month and I can't even have sex because it hurts so bad.... I would not recamend this shot, it's a waste of time and causes false hope."

Allishaew August 13, 2015

"I've been taking Depo for about 15 years and it's never given me any negative symptoms. I went on it very young because I had painful abnormal periods. I haven't had any menstral cycles the whole time, which means no pain. I've never struggled with weight gain. My bones are healthy and strong, in fact I've never had a broken bone in my entire life. It's highly effective as a birth control and I am very happy with it."

thunderseed July 16, 2015

"I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis at 17 years old. After being on Lupron for 6 months, my doctor proceeded to put me on Depo for the rest of my life until I decide to have kids, and then back on the shot afterwards. I am now on my 5th shot and I've had horrible endometriosis pain(not cramps, very different pain) and have had my period for 2 weeks. I am not sure the Depo is working correctly with my body but other than that, the previous shots have made almost all pain from my endometriosis go away."

n1723 April 9, 2015

"I started my first injection over a month ago for my severe endometriosis. The day after I started noticing terrible mood swings, as did my family. I would get angry and freak out at the tiniest things. Usually cry over nothing. It lasted for about 4 weeks and my moods have simmered down, but not as much as they should. He said to consider Zoloft, because my hormone levels aren't normal and I have anxiety. I have been spotting everyday for the whole month, and still notice some pain, but not as bad as it was before I started the injections. My obg said this was normal, and assured me after the third injection this would go away. Hopefully it does. I can now say I'm not living in hell 12 times a year."

Megaphone1220 April 5, 2015

"I've had endometriosis my whole life... Six surgeries.. I was on Lupron 2x.... Birth control pills.... Finally the depo was my last resort.... The first time it made me bleed everyday for 7 months... I didn't give up on it... It made me gain weight because it increases your appetite and u don't realize it until u go off of it.... I still didn't give up... I've been on it now for 5 years and I have joined weight watchers and increased excercise..... I have not had a period in 5 years..... I don't miss the agony ... The pain... The hospital visits.... Being bed ridden for 3 days a month.... I love the Depo...and now I'm making progress with losing weight so I'm happy..."

Judii47 March 6, 2015

"I have been on it now for 10 yrs & love it. Before I would be in bed for weeks with bad cramps, it was destroying my life. I get little cramping well the shot is due but I can live with that."

Lea31 November 14, 2014

"I refused to get the shot because I had researched Depo for a paper in college, but it came down to Depo or severe anemia. So I received the shot and the next morning I was praising Jesus because the shot got rid of the almost constant back pain I'd had for 2 years since delivering my twins. Doctors kept telling me it was a sprained muscle only it never healed, now I believe it was endometriosis."

Cytogirl (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2014

"I've only had one shot so far, but it has now been almost two months since I got the shot. I heard good things about this shot, and I was hoping it would take care of my really severe cramps! I skipped my period the month after I got the shot, but then the month after that, it came back. I would say my period is a lot lighter now, but it has lasted twice as long as it normally does. My cramps have been better, as they are now tolerable. But, they are still there. I have noticed a really big change in mood swings and emotions. I get in cranky moods WAY more often. At least once a day. I also have noticed that I cry super easily now, even over little things. Again though, it has only been two months. Maybe things will start to get better."

Alexandria R March 24, 2014

"I was hesitant to try this but I really didn't want to have a hysterectomy. I've already had one ovary/tube out due to my endometriosis. I was recently diagnosed with also have adenomyosis now. It was Depo-Provera, Lupron or a hysterectomy. I read so many terrible reviews that it had me nervous but I tried it anyway. I've gained a few pounds but am also 45 and lazy so that may be the more likely culprit. My acne is actually gone. I've had no endometrosis symptoms. My hair is slightly thicker. For me it's been a miracle. We're hoping to be able to have these results until menopause hits."

TN mom March 5, 2014

"My doctor put my on Depo-Provera after laproscopy for endometriosis. I had irregular periods after the first shot and after the second I remember I had one period that seemed to last for a month. This is a known side effect and as promised it went away after the third shot. I haven't had my period now in about a year. I also haven't had any debilitating endometriosis symptoms either. I think I gained about 5 lbs total but then again I'm also in my 40s and that could simply be a part of aging. I am a big fan. It gave me nearly total relief after getting through the first 6 months."

nkb (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2014

"I have severe endometriosis and a lot of scar tissue from laparoscopic surgery four years ago when they removed two large cysts that were wrapped around my fallopian tube, which I lost. Then last year my right ovary hemorrhaged and I bled internally for two days, two weeks ago I had a cyst rupture on my ride side. I am SO done with being in pain. I've been in non stop monthly HELL for the past 4 years! So I got back on the Depo-Provera shot. I took it when I was a teenager for two years for my endo pain. And I loved it. I am so glad to be back on it. I am also on a seizure medicine that makes birth control ineffective, but has no effect on the Depo shot, so that is another plus."

missbones (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2014

"When I was 7 I started puberty, I started my periods and all the other signs of becoming a "young woman" and I have been having pain since then on, I've had 2 operations, abnormal periods and extensive ones that have lasted 8 weeks and 21 weeks. I'm 18 and have I've been on this injection for nearly 2 months and I've had nothing but pain, I'm heavier on my period than I've ever been and I'm constantly tired, moody, emotional and sick. I can't hold a meal down and I've lost 2 stone because of this and am now classed as underweight. I can't even hold anti-sickness tablets down. I was told to continue to take the pill and then during my break I shouldn't get my period, but I have and they've been causing that much pain can't even walk properly"

Scarlettsky November 7, 2013

"I have been on Depo now for over 20 years - I should be paid to be their poster child. It was the miracle medicine for me and my body. After 10 horrific years of monthly hell, I started Depo. Immediately, the periods went away, my hormones balanced and I literally regained my life. I have had no long term effects, no weight gain, no side effects at all. For the right person, this works amazingly well. For others, it does not. But it IS worth a try!"

Upward Spiral (taken for 10 years or more) October 13, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I got on the shot in April 2012 for many reasons. 1. I worked at the YMCA in the pool & I didn't want to worry about bleeding 2. My cramps were torture! I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. During the first month or so I did spot and have some cramps but they eventually stopped. I love the shot. I did gain some weight but that was some what my fault because I stayed unactive. But with a good diet and some exercise you won't gain weight! Recommend it to everyone!"

Sammmm (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2013

"I love the Depo shot. No side effects at all. I read so many negative reviews before I took my first shot. I have experienced none of the side effects I read about in the reviews. I have not had any break through bleeding as many people described. I have had no periods after the first shot. Before Depo, I had painful cramps before and during my period. No pain and no weight gain. I am so pleased with this form of birth control."

Refinnejean April 18, 2013

"I got on this as a teenager for my endometriosis. Besides spotting for the first four months I have had no ill effects. No weight gain. In fact its hard to keep weight on. I got off of it to have my kids. Now I'm back on it. It's so much easier raising toddlers without cramps and random bleeding. I recommend it highly. Don't let bad experiences scare you. I actually had a horrible time with the pill. I love my Depo shots!"

clarissa ann January 10, 2013