User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera review summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 152 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Endometriosis

Review by Cytogirl (taken for less than 1 month):

I refused to get the shot because I had researched Depo for a paper in college, but it came down to Depo or severe anemia. So I received the shot and the next morning I was praising Jesus because the shot got rid of the almost constant back pain I'd had for 2 years since delivering my twins. Doctors kept telling me it was a sprained muscle only it never healed, now I believe it was endometriosis.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 7:20 AM

Review by Alexandria R:

I've only had one shot so far, but it has now been almost two months since I got the shot. I heard good things about this shot, and I was hoping it would take care of my really severe cramps! I skipped my period the month after I got the shot, but then the month after that, it came back. I would say my period is a lot lighter now, but it has lasted twice as long as it normally does. My cramps have been better, as they are now tolerable. But, they are still there. I have noticed a really big change in mood swings and emotions. I get in cranky moods WAY more often. At least once a day. I also have noticed that I cry super easily now, even over little things. Again though, it has only been two months. Maybe things will start to get better.

March 24, 2014 2:12 AM

Review by TN mom:

I was hesitant to try this but I really didn't want to have a hysterectomy. I've already had one ovary/tube out due to my endometriosis. I was recently diagnosed with also have adenomyosis now. It was Depo-Provera, Lupron or a hysterectomy. I read so many terrible reviews that it had me nervous but I tried it anyway. I've gained a few pounds but am also 45 and lazy so that may be the more likely culprit. My acne is actually gone. I've had no endometrosis symptoms. My hair is slightly thicker. For me it's been a miracle. We're hoping to be able to have these results until menopause hits.

March 5, 2014 5:50 PM

Review by nkb (taken for 1 to 2 years):

My doctor put my on Depo-Provera after laproscopy for endometriosis. I had irregular periods after the first shot and after the second I remember I had one period that seemed to last for a month. This is a known side effect and as promised it went away after the third shot. I haven't had my period now in about a year. I also haven't had any debilitating endometriosis symptoms either. I think I gained about 5 lbs total but then again I'm also in my 40s and that could simply be a part of aging. I am a big fan. It gave me nearly total relief after getting through the first 6 months.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2014 10:36 PM

Review by missbones (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have severe endometriosis and a lot of scar tissue from laparoscopic surgery four years ago when they removed two large cysts that were wrapped around my fallopian tube, which I lost. Then last year my right ovary hemorrhaged and I bled internally for two days, two weeks ago I had a cyst rupture on my ride side. I am SO done with being in pain. I've been in non stop monthly HELL for the past 4 years! So I got back on the Depo-Provera shot. I took it when I was a teenager for two years for my endo pain. And I loved it. I am so glad to be back on it. I am also on a seizure medicine that makes birth control ineffective, but has no effect on the Depo shot, so that is another plus.

January 12, 2014 3:14 AM

Review by Scarlettsky:

When I was 7 I started puberty, I started my periods and all the other signs of becoming a "young woman" and I have been having pain since then on, I've had 2 operations, abnormal periods and extensive ones that have lasted 8 weeks and 21 weeks. I'm 18 and have I've been on this injection for nearly 2 months and I've had nothing but pain, I'm heavier on my period than I've ever been and I'm constantly tired, moody, emotional and sick. I can't hold a meal down and I've lost 2 stone because of this and am now classed as underweight. I can't even hold anti-sickness tablets down. I was told to continue to take the pill and then during my break I shouldn't get my period, but I have and they've been causing that much pain can't even walk properly

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2013 6:25 AM

Review by Upward Spiral (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Depo now for over 20 years - I should be paid to be their poster child. It was the miracle medicine for me and my body. After 10 horrific years of monthly hell, I started Depo. Immediately, the periods went away, my hormones balanced and I literally regained my life. I have had no long term effects, no weight gain, no side effects at all. For the right person, this works amazingly well. For others, it does not. But it IS worth a try!

October 13, 2013 11:33 PM

Review by Sammmm (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I got on the shot in April 2012 for many reasons. 1. I worked at the YMCA in the pool & I didn't want to worry about bleeding 2. My cramps were torture! I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. During the first month or so I did spot and have some cramps but they eventually stopped. I love the shot. I did gain some weight but that was some what my fault because I stayed unactive. But with a good diet and some exercise you won't gain weight! Recommend it to everyone!

June 30, 2013 9:15 PM

Review by Refinnejean:

I love the Depo shot. No side effects at all. I read so many negative reviews before I took my first shot. I have experienced none of the side effects I read about in the reviews. I have not had any break through bleeding as many people described. I have had no periods after the first shot. Before Depo, I had painful cramps before and during my period. No pain and no weight gain. I am so pleased with this form of birth control.

April 18, 2013 12:35 AM

Review by clarissa ann:

I got on this as a teenager for my endometriosis. Besides spotting for the first four months I have had no ill effects. No weight gain. In fact its hard to keep weight on. I got off of it to have my kids. Now I'm back on it. It's so much easier raising toddlers without cramps and random bleeding. I recommend it highly. Don't let bad experiences scare you. I actually had a horrible time with the pill. I love my Depo shots!

January 10, 2013 1:37 AM

Review by Melly ke (taken for 2 to 5 years):

On Depo for approximately 10 yrs go. No problems or side-effects. No period for 3 yrs-HEAVEN! Got off of it. Doctor said since I had no bleeding last time would be okay to do again. Got shot a month ago-the week I was supposed to start. First week was great. No bleeding but have had continual spotting every day since (3wks). Hopefully it will stop soon.

January 3, 2013 12:00 PM

Review by annajw:

It has been almost 6 months since my shot and I have been on my period the whole time. I gained 45 pounds and I was the most depressed I've ever been. I went insane with mood swings, my already bad pain got worse, and I had head splitting migraines among other things. I don't recommend it to anyone. It should come with a prescription for Xanax and some weight loss pills to try to stay on top of things.

July 25, 2012 4:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

After two months on the shot I started to bleed, spotting and breakthrough bleeding is not uncommon but this was much more. My doctor kept telling me to stick it out that it can take up to 12 months to stop, after 13 months of almost everyday bleeding we decided to call it quits. It does wonders for some but didn't for me.

June 9, 2012 1:32 AM

I've had endometriosis for over 20 years and have had about enough of the pain and the accompanying anemia from blood loss. In the last 5 years my blood loss from the endometriosis has increased tenfold and I have developed severe iron deficiency anemia. My OB/GYN and I decided to try Depo again (last time was in the early 90s) and I had my first shot in July of 2011. August was HEAVEN! No period and my iron levels tested almost normal. I was human again! Now it's September and I have had a "period" (in quotes, because it's more like a normal woman's period) for over 15 days and I feel like I have been hit by a Mac truck. No endometriosis pain, but my iron levels are so low from bleeding that all I can do is sleep. When it works, it's fantastic.

October 1, 2011 3:26 PM

I've only taken one shot, it has been somewhat of a last ditch effort to provide some pain relief from endometriosis and polycystic ovaries. The first month was great, no pain and very little spotting. The second month has been horrible, I had a period for 2 1/2 weeks and the other 1 1/2 I had spotting along with horrible (at times) pain that even Lortab won't fully control. Doctor gave me estrogen to stop bleeding and that took a week. As of now I am not taking another shot. I told my husband that I can feel this bad for free. If this third month goes okay I may reconsider. I've tried everything and its bad...looks like hysterectomy is next step.

September 26, 2011 6:17 PM

Review by K'D:

I had extreme pain from endometriosis along with multiple surgeries including an appendectomy when a huge cyst ruptured and irritated it. I was barely able to work due to constant doubled over pain and ruptured cyst. Now I'm on Depo, I got the shot in early January and am due at the end of March. So far I haven%u2019t gained too much weight although I notice some water weight. I only started spotting this month for a week, the next week was heavy bleeding, now I'm back to spotting. I just started getting a bit of acne but nothing to bad. My beautician and I noticed some areas where my hair thinned out and my hair is already kind of thin. I'm trying the low dose for March and I'm going to take Vitamin B complex to see if this helps.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2011 6:46 PM

I have been on this for the better part of the last 10 years! I loved the convenience of only having to deal with it 4 times per year. I also was lucky enough to rarely have a period (maybe light spotting once a year). However in the last 6 months, I've been having heavy, irregular periods so I am looking into different treatment but I will miss the ease of the shot!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2010 9:16 AM

Review by 64978463:

I guess the only advice I have is for everyone on or considering this medication to weigh the pros and cons. I've been on the shot for 5 years now, and have recently had to have my frequency increased to every 8 weeks, versus the normal 12. My cycle completely stopped 2 weeks after my first injection. I have only had a few breakthrough bleeds, which have been treated with anti-inflammatory drugs or and additional dose of the Depo. I have had some side effects. I've gained about 15-20 pounds, but it showed up "in the right places". I get very moody occasionally, but I'll take that over amenorrhea any day.

March 8, 2010 11:03 PM

Review by Mybelle:

I have exceptionally painful periods due to endometriosis and so far, Depo is the only thing that has eliminated all of my pain, along with my periods. I had previously been on it for 7 years, then stopped after my doctor suggested it was time for a break. I did a bone density study & had lost no bone density, which was a big concern. After about a year of pain, I just went back on it this month. I will be getting a hysterectomy within the next couple of years & then I will be off the Depo. No complaints here.

February 8, 2010 12:55 PM

I was very unhappy on this drug. My pain was not reduced as it should have been. I spotted for the entire 6 months I was on it. I was extremely depressed, had no libido whatsoever and gained 20 pounds. This did not work well for me for this condition at all. Unfortunately once it is in your system you are stuck with it. It took a full year for my body to readjust once I was off it and to stop spotting. It was also hard to lose that weight afterwards.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2010 3:42 PM

Review by Beyond the Pink Ribbon:

I've been on the Depo-Provera injection since the 1994 inception of off-label use for Endometriosis. For the last few years I've started having some side effects over the two - four weeks prior to each injection including severe fatigue and hot flashes. I'll take those side effects any day compared to how I lived when my "Endo" ruled my day to day life. I've been pain free for years as a result of the 15 years of Depo injections. Other side effects? I guess we will see.

November 7, 2009 1:15 PM

Review by Angelicurse:

I have taken Depo-Provera now for 4 years. It took care of the severe pain, cramping, and hot flashes. I have also not had a period since or even spotted. Although it has helped positively with these things there are negative side effects. I gain and plateaued at a whopping 57 pounds. I gained the first 25 pounds in the first 3 months, keeping in mind that I had not changed eating habits or exercise, and now I have stretch marks from the rapid weight gain. All I can say is to try it yourself, this is just how it affected me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2009 10:40 PM

I had been on Depo for 5 years as a birth control method. I knew that there was always something wrong with doctors. They just told me that I had bad period cramping and basically to deal with it. It is only now after I stopped the Depo, to try and fall pregnant, that doctors have now tested me for and confirmed that I have endometriosis. The pain that I am in now is crazy, but I am not going to go back on it in the hope that I may just by chance perhaps fall pregnant! It worked really well for me when I was on it though, had no cramping as my periods had stopped completely.

September 14, 2009 10:39 PM

Depo has been great for relief of pain from endometriosis. I am on my 3rd shot. No more period, but I do spot the whole month before the next shot is due. I am hoping that will stop as my body gets used to it more. The shot is painless, the only side effect I have noticed is minor weight gain and my sex drive has decreased a bit. I am okay with that at least the pain is gone. I got scared reading what everyone had to say about this drug and almost didn't get it. I am glad I took the chance to see how "I" reacted to it. Everyone is different. I am very satisfied with it.

August 27, 2009 12:55 AM

I had extreme nausea and vomiting within a week of getting my first and ONLY shot of Depo-Provera.

March 5, 2009 5:01 PM