User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"I started depo provera IM after the birth of my son. I never had regular monthly periods before so the injection completely stopped my period while on it. I went off it one year to attempt another pregnancy and it took almost a year for my period to return. I went back on it after deciding against a second child. The only issue I had with the IM injection was a heightened feeling of irritability/anger and soreness at the injection site for a day or two. When depo provera was switched to SQ it alleviated any irritability the day after. I've only had good experiences with depo provera."

Pearlaabsinthe (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2016

"If i could rate this a 0 i would. Worse thing ever! I have been spotting for a month and no sign of it going away. I have crazy and horrible mood swings, i feel depressed most of the time (I've never suffered from depression) i feel tired and sick all the time,constant headaches and weight loss. I will never again get this shot it is THE WORST and should be banned. Its killing me and ruining my life. I can't wait for the 3 month effect to be over so i can go back to normal again"

Angry bird May 18, 2016

"I have was on the shot for 5 years. I got off In July of 2015. I have started bleeding uncontrollably for 3 days now. My camps are excruciating. Stopping the shot sucks. But being on the shot for 5 years were a great. I had no periods and it was easy."

Tasha Derby May 14, 2016

"DO NOT TAKE IT!!!! Ever since I got my first shot in January 2016, I haven't stopped bleeding. (It's May 2016). It gives me horrible cramps, mood swings, and decrease in breast size. I had basically all the bad symptoms from this birth control... Please DON'T take it. I've been bleeding for 4 months straight and it's driving me insane. Please pray for me that this will end soon."

Worst decision of my life May 4, 2016

"I've had one injection of depo provera and honestly the first two months were fine. Now I'm getting tingling all over my body & more sensitive skin and I've been on my period all month when these symptoms started. Honestly I don't like it, I have another appointment to get my second shot I'm trying it for another 3 months then seeing how that goes. Also very horrible cramps"

LillyA April 30, 2016

"I was on depo for 5 years and just got off of it 3 months ago to try and conceive. I had never been on any other type of BC with which I could compare it. I found it nice having no period (no planning ahead for trips, no having to buy tampons!) Though it did contribute to an unpleasant vag dryness which I could have done without. Luckily I did not gain any weight in the 5 years of depo, the only caveate being that I monitored my weight more than the average person ever would and I have always exercised and eaten healthy. With that said, however, I did find that I had to try a lot harder to maintain my weight than before depo. I did not notice any other side effects. Having been off it I noticed I am more fatigued than usual."

Liguerr (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 23, 2016

"I'm 25 and have been on depo for about 14 months and the only good thing is no periods!! But I still have cramps from time to time.... Since using depo I have been diagnosed with anxiety and outrageous depression to the point I'm on meds... I noticed alot of stomach pain, tingling in hands or feet, feeling nauseated when eating food, hair lost and weight gain. Went from size 16 to 22.. Always in a down mood and it killed my sex drive This drug is definitely not for me... Been off for 4 months now and still no sign of a period.... Hopefully it changes soon"

Queeny26 April 22, 2016

"I had two injections of depo-provera when I was 25. The first shot was fine, no abnormal physical side effects, maybe a little spotting during what should have been my menstrual cycle. Then about a month after the 2nd shot I cascaded into a deep depression that involved suicidal thoughts. My libido was also gone and it took over a year after the 2nd and final injection to feel better in terms of the depression. My libido never recovered. I am now 45. My last sexual encounter was when I was 32. I firmly believe that depo-provera is responsible. But hey, bright side, right? I didn't get pregnant :/"

MaryofCalifornia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

"After 1 week receiving the shot. I had night sweats for 5 days. I been having severe anxiety. My body aches like I have the flu it will be one month I've been on depo the night sweats r away but I'm having pain in my feet and in my knees. The odd thing is instead of gaining weight I'm loosing weight I lost so far 12 lbs in almost a month. I'm starting to spot due to my period always comes on the 20th. Not getting cramping yet. I'm not going to get depo again because the night sweats n leg pain n some minor headaches I don't like. I'm 31 yrs old and a mom of 4. My husband says since the shot he noticed me more down n not in the mood. So I'm certain the depo is causing all this craziness to my body.I'm getting blood work done to c if its my thyroid"

31yrmomof4 April 18, 2016

"It's my first time taking birth control decided to go with the shot I did a lil research and wished I saw this sooner..about 95% of the women who tried this shot had terrible experiences ..I've started depo about a month ago and everything was fine..I am now in my 2nd month and received my first period I have been bleeding for almost a week my cycle is normally 6 days so I figured it is normal but after reading these reviews im a lil scared and have decided to discontinue the shot hopefully I do not have the horrible experience that most of these women had "

Beginner0129 April 18, 2016

"WARNING! I received two injections, and it was the worst 6 months of my life. This should come with EXPLICIT warnings, but didn't. I came down with severe anxiety and depression. My life fell apart and I had to leave town to regroup. My interpersonal relationships unravelled. I was so depressed I couldn't move. I saw a pyschiatrist and he suggested that the depression could very well have been due to the depo shot - he's seen it affect others like this as well. Also, I rapidly gained 15-20 lbs. It's been 8 months since my last injection and I am ECSTATIC to report my period finally came back. It can take that long to leave the system! This is a dangerous drug. Monitor your mental health closely. In fact don't do it"

dv43 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2016

"I received my depo shot 6 weeks after giving birth. February 15 2016 is the day I got it to be exact. This has been the worse experience of my entire life. Constant bleeding on a daily basis. I hear the medicine stays in the system 3 months. I hope after it wears off the bleeding would come to an end. I don't know when I'm having my regular period. Acne has come to my face and I can't get rid of it for anything. I have had anxiety and stress. I can't even be involved with my boyfriend. At first I thought something really was wrong with me until reading related issues on here. Now I know it's the shot. I will never take it again and also wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

blessedat30 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

"I've been on depo provera since October I had to switch to this as I was getting migraines from the pill I was on, I've just gotten my 3rd injection 2 days ago. It's the best choice I ever made!! I know a lot of people get bad side effects but I got none, I got no bleeding and my periods have stopped completely which is a bonus as I used get extremely bad cramps. I have had an increased sex drive which is a good benefit and if anything my boobs have gotten a small bit bigger and I've maintained my weight! I was put on this merely for contraception as I'm 18 with a boyfriend but I couldn't recommend this more, I read reviews before I got it and was terrified but it's worth a shot if you're unsure!"

Magzx (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

"I read all the reviews prior to trying this injection, so i was quite apprehensive. Honestly best contraception i have ever used. Have had no side effects, no bleeding and don't ever get my period and it is 100x more convenient than taking the pill. I have been using it for almost 12 months. My advice for people is don't get too concerned by reading all the reviews, obviously drugs react with people differently so for some people it may not be suitable but it is great for me!"

Mikaela1234 April 6, 2016

"Ive been on Depo on about three months, and Im just about to get my second shot. My arm really ached for a couple days after the shot, but eventually that went away. The first month was really rough, I had a continuous period for the whole month, I had major mood swings, major cramping. It was hell, and if you would have asked me, I would have told you that I would not get another shot. The second month wasnt too bad, although I had quite a bit of spotting and this month has been better. It's getting better and Im feeling positvely about getting my second shot."

MoodyWitch (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

"Horrible form of birth control. Convenient yes but bled continuously while I was on it. Gave me severe depression when I have never had any depression before. Gained weight steadily with no change in diet so depo is cause. After 3 doses and no improvement in side effects I stopped this nightmare."

SJeson March 29, 2016

"So im 17, I got the shot a little over a week ago. So far nothing but good to report here. However where I got the shot (arm) was pretty sore for like 5 days, and I'd say I probably had slight depression for a few days afterwards, but now I'm back to normal. I also had an increase in appetite which is probably why alot of people have gained weight.. im a health nut so appetite is something I control on a regular basis. The best thing is that my boobs grew MAJOR!!"

TX March 26, 2016

"To all the negitive reviews it really depends on the person I had my youngest december 26 2015 and in mid January I got the depo shot and I've lost weight I hadn't had a peroid I only had two days of spotting my sex drive is starting to come back and as far as moody goes I've been Moody my whole life here my skin is clear that's about all I can say so please don't listen to the negatives I know there's a lot built depends on the person"

mae2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

"The depo shot went really well for me. The first time I got the shot I did bleed for about a month, but for the next year and a half I did not bleed at all. After that I never really had any cramping or anything like that. The only bad thing is that you can only take it for up to 2 years, so now I have to find a new birth control."

Nikki Bolt March 23, 2016

"I was happy with this birth control at first. I liked the thought of not getting my period when it went away after my second shot but 3 years later it has been making me gain 10 lbs per year I was about 130 when I started it I am now almost 200 and the longer I have been on it the more if an increase in pounds per year I am noticing. Its been decreasing my sex drive lately and also occasionally makes me moody"

Anonymous March 18, 2016

"I started the depo shot January 9th,2016 on my period and two weeks later on January22,2016 I started my cycle again and have been bleeding for 3 months and is still bleeding. I will not be going for my second injection which is in two weeks. I also have head aches and get dizzy often and it has been hard for me to get wet since I started. I will not recommend this to anyone."

ShaSha777 March 18, 2016

"I am currently on birth control and have been for a little over a year I haven't had a period since I've had my son and I've gained a lot of weight I'm about to quit taking it and Im always stressed out and my hair is falling out a lot never done this before"

Nessa2131 March 16, 2016

"I'm not sure if I would recommend this birth control before others to someone else, but it worked great for me for seven plus years. Mind you, I was told by my endocrinologist that my GP should have never allowed me to stay on this bc because of the side effects of losing bone density mass - because of this I now have osteopenia at age 29. Why rate it an 8? Because other then this (which I am now "fixing" with weight lifting and calcium/mag supps) I never had any issues with the depo. I didn't have to remember a pill and had no side effects from it. Because of this, I would recommend it. I took it for convenience but my bone density suffered because of it."

Briseus (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 15, 2016

"I got the Depo Shot 1.5 yrs. ago. I was having painful periods due to my endometriosis. I received the shot in my butt and it didn't hurt. After my 1st shot I had some spotting for a few days. Then about 8 weeks in I got a light period for 4 days, but got worse on week 11 and had a regular period (which are normally painful for me). My doctor decided I could get the shot every 6-8 weeks to help with my painful periods & growth of endometriosis. During this time I hadn't gotten a single period which is good. HOWEVER, since I've been on it for a yr. now & my side effects: fatigue, hot flashes, fatigue, mood swings/anxiety, & weight gain of 25 lbs.! I didnt get my next shot & it's been 15 weeks since my last shot. No change nor period yet."

A.Natalia March 11, 2016

"I've had three shots so far and loved it. This is one of the only hormonal methods of bc that doesn't kill my sex drive or cause migraines. I tend to have one, two-week period per shot which isn't bad. The first day or two after the shot is a little rough--I get hot flashes--but after that it evens out and you wouldn't even remember you've taken something. I would definitely recommend that people try it at least once to see if their bodies tolerate it like mine does."

East (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2016