User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

Review by Jordan111:

Honestly the best birth control i've been on. I had to switch from the pill to the shot due to medications I am on and I have had no problems with this birth control. Of course I gained a couple pounds but thats just a given. I gained maybe five pounds so nothing drastic. Will continue to use!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 3:33 PM

Review by heather red:

I liked this medication when I first got it but after awhile I started to get migraines, dizziness, hot flashes, weight gain, heavy bleeding and severe depression.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2014 8:01 PM

Review by 9r9:

Very effective but bad side effects. I'm 17 and I've had two doses of it but I won't be continuing it. I have gained weight that is IMPOSSIBLE to lose, I get head rushes and I feel dizzy almost every time I stand up and lots of cramping. I stopped getting my period but one every month-two months I have a few drops of blood but that's it. I'm not happy with the shot but it was effective.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 12:47 AM

Review by Becca1248:

I started the shot when I was 17 about to be 18. I am now 20 about to be 21. Very effective at preventing pregnancy. However, I have terrible mood swings, migraines, and weight gain. When I started taking Depo I was the healthiest I have ever been. Slowly but surely I put on the pounds and my depression became unbearable! The first year I didn't gain much, maybe ten pounds and went from a size 4 to a size 6. I weighed 135, now I weigh about 170. It's horrendous! I just switched birth control yesterday, so I hope it treats me better than Depo Provera!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 1:53 PM

I'm 32 yrs old. I went on Depo-Provera for 3 months and it was horrible. I constantly felt like I was running a fever and sweating like crazy. I had horrible PMS but no period. The only good thing about it was the convenience.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 10:09 AM

Review by College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started this birth control at 145lbs 5'3 so I was already a little heavy but I was working out and eating healthy to keep losing weight. The first shot seemed fine. By the second shot, I gained 5lbs which I thought was odd but the doctor said it was normal. I then started becoming very depressed and spent most of my days sleeping or in bed. I gained another 10 lbs. when it was time for the third shot. The 3rd shot made me gain 25 more lbs where I was at 185. I always ate relatively healthy and went to the gym. And I decided to not take the 4th shot. And it's been about a month past when I was supposed to take the 4th shot and I'm finally starting to lose weight. I'm at 175 now and still have a long way to go.

August 13, 2014 3:14 PM

Review by Anonn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My first shot of depo was great, no mood swings or any other side affects other than some very light spotting. Happy with my first shot, I got a 2nd but it didn't turn out as the first shot did. I'm happy because there's no mood swings or really any mental side effects which is why I switched from the pill. However, I was told my period would completely go away or just be light spotting, but for some reason I have now been having a normal/heavy period for over a month now which concerning. I've also been experiencing a lot of headaches, and cramps that can get so bad they'll sometimes wake me up from dead sleep. I'll be going to the doctor soon to get off of this, blood loss is not fun :c don't think this is super common though

August 9, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by emlee_ (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 17 and have been on Depo for 3 months. I started off with no side effects for the first 3 weeks, until I was late for my period by 2 weeks, then when I eventually had my period I have been spotting for the last 6 weeks. Which is really becoming annoying and making me feel depressed. I haven't lost my sex drive, but I have had major mood swings and sore breasts for the past 2 months. I feel as though I will keep using Depo for the next 2 shots and see if anything changes, because overall I feel as though minus the spotting it is beneficial.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 5:25 PM

Review by Raye1:

I am 25 and I have been on Depo-Provera for about 3 years. My mother is my doctor so she warned me about the weight gain. I somehow lost 5lbs once I started taking it. My weight has been up and down for the past 2 years but I don't think it is due to the shot. Its my love of food. Anyways, the shot is great; every 3 months. I haven't had a period for 3 years. Spotting every now and then but that's okay. I am very worried about getting off of the shot but I will prepare for that when the time comes.

August 4, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by Bethany1234:

I gained 40 pounds on Depo Provera shot.

July 24, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When I was 16 I had the WORST period. Major cramps to where I couldn't go to school, bloated super bad. So my dr. Recommended the shot. I got it. And since then I've had not even the slightest spotting. And it's been 2 years. One night the condom broke completely and I was so worried. But didn't get pregant. I've gained 5-10 pounds over the course. But I for sure recommend.

July 21, 2014 8:51 PM

Review by Cookie933 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was on the Depo shot for a little over a year and a half. At first I had a very long period (14 days for a few months when my period was generally about 3 days previously). Then I stopped having a period altogether. Its been a month since I was due for my shot. After reading online I was worried that I would be waiting months-year to get my period back after it however, I woke up today and thankfully got it. I've never been so happy to get my period before. I guess I'm one of those lucky few that get their period back as soon as they are off of it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Don't!:

I am 34 with 3 kids. I tried the pill but had incredibly tender breasts, tried the copper coil for 6 weeks but had cramps and spotting. I thought I'd give Depo Provera injection just one go. I don't think my body likes hormonal contraception. I am constantly bleeding after the injection. AND I suddenly have psoriasis all over my face and hands. Its peeling, red and itchy. I look like someone beat me up! Its embarrassing as you can imagine.

July 2, 2014 9:43 AM

Review by britmarie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was on the shot for 2 years. I'm 5'3 120 pounds naturally. I weighed up to 130 while on the shot. It is extremely effective for protection against pregnancy. Although I have no sex drive and terrible mood swings and weight gain in abdomen, face and buttocks. The pros would be clear skin and effectiveness against pregnancy but wouldn't recommend it for short term birth control or for women who gain weight easily. Took my body almost a year to regulate itself after stopping.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by Kayla Lauren (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Does its job as a birth control. Convenient that it is only every 3 months and it's discreet. However, the side effects aren't worth it. I had mood swings, increased appetite and cravings, (which lead to a 10 lb weight gain within first 3 months), and constant bleeding for over 2 months. Once I switched to the pill after my first shot, my appetite went back to normal, I'm acting like myself, and the bleeding stopped immediately. I receive free service at Planned Parenthood as a teenager so all of my birth controls are at no cost.

June 29, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by EleanorR96:

Im 17 years old, 5'4 and weigh 113 pounds. Got my first injection on May 22nd. First few days was fine, got it while I was on my period so it was immediately effective. First week was fine but after a while I began spotting and since then I have been on a constant period with occasional cramps. I already suffer from some anxiety issues which Depo-Provera has intensified but I expected this. Feel dizzy when I'm laying down to go to sleep but its gone by morning. No change in sex drive but I've noticed most people's decrease. The site of injection hurt a little for 3-4 days but now I can't feel it. Have little energy and can't walk to school anymore because I'm constantly too tired. Wont be getting this injection again, going to try Nexplanon implant.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2014 7:27 AM

Review by Polandspring:

I am 17, 5'5 weighing 145lbs. I started the Depo shot a little more than 3 months ago. The first time I received the shot, within 3 months I've lost 9 pounds. Normally I get nauseous from birth control but the only con I've experienced was anxiety. I recently just got the second shot and the amount of anxiety attacks are ridiculous. Lost my appetite for a week, lost a few pounds from that. Before I took the shot, I rarely had anxiety. Also, I spot once a month extremely lightly, rarely get cramps. No bad mood swings!

June 1, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by Jadey123x (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had this Depo for two years and as much as it was easier with no pill no period etc it ended up the worst thing I've ever had I have developed cystic acne hard nodular lumps under my skin which have left me depressed with how they look. They were awful and my hair was shedding rapidly. I went to the doctor and came off it he put me on Dianette and advised to take it the first day I come on. 3 months in and no proper period. One weekend I suffered severe and I must emphasize severe pain and cramping I could not move and was having very dark blood clots. To this day my skin is still awful I am now on lymecyline and the doctors told me to use the Dianette contraceptive for my skin anyway. I have never ever had skin problems previous to this.

May 29, 2014 4:40 PM

Review by Stacey Delaney (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I loved the fact that I had to go in only every 3 months but didn't take the time to realize and read the side effects and that it made me gain quite a bit weight I was like 135lbs and then got up to 140lbs something.

May 23, 2014 5:47 PM

Review by Scared as f*** (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

So, I started this because I'm terrible with rememebering to take the pill daily. I absolutely LOVED the fact that I only had to go in every 3 months to get it done. The shot was very minor, with little to no pain. For the first three months it was heavenly, I had no side effects, and no period what so ever. But the road after that was hell. I gained a total of 40 pounds (in 6 months) due to the fact that I was hungry all the time. I was very moody and depressed also. Not only that, but I basically lost all my sex drive, and the majority of the time on the shot I spotted, and when I wasn't spotting, I was on my period.

May 11, 2014 10:38 PM

Review by Tiffnaayyyy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I am 25 years old and have been on Depo-Provera for around 3 years. I have very little side effects & absolutely love not worrying about pregnancy or periods! I can't imagine going back to having a monthly period, I am very content with my light spotting every three months a week before my next shot. I never plan on having children so I have no problem staying on this long-term. I've been losing/gaining 20 pounds on and off many years before I started Depo, and considering I do not exercise I cannot blame any weight gain on this. My only concern is bone density loss. I eat calcium rich vegetables daily & take vitamin D, but may start calcium supplementation as well depending on my results from a bone density screening.

May 9, 2014 2:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on Depo since last August (3 shots). I love it! I had two pill pregnancies, so obviously, I had to get on something that I didn't have to worry about remembering. In the first 4 months, I did have some bleeding issues (I would spot for weeks at a time), but I haven't had a period in a long time. I haven't experienced any of the other side effects either. I love it and I recommend it all the time!

April 30, 2014 4:59 PM

Review by HBM:

I'm 16 years old, and I have been on the shot since July 2013. I haven't had any of the side effects like having unusual cramps, headaches, or ance. The only problem that I have is I spot on and off for about 2-3 weeks right before I'm supposed to get my next shot.

April 20, 2014 10:20 PM

Review by rikita (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I took this shot about 2 months ago and was excited for it. I had read many good things about it and I am quite a forgetful person so a shot once every three months was great. Little did I know though that it would not be great for me. I had my period for 17 days. It finally went away but now I have my period again, hoping it won't last 17 days again... Just like a previous reviewer stated as well, I was super energetic and lively and this shot has made me quite withdrawn and quiet. I really hate that. I also feel myself becoming a little more emotional over small matters that I would laugh at before. This wasn't the birth control for me.

March 21, 2014 2:20 PM

I've never had acne and I cannot seem to get rid of it. I'm sure it's because of the Depo Provera as it started shortly after my first injection. I am in my 30's and an active runner. My hips and knees seem to be much more sore after runs after I started the Depo. I also have osteoporosis in my family and that is not helping my bone density situation. On the positive side, it's easy to take, stops my periods and I lost weight on it. All that being said, this will be my last cycle as the convenience is not worth brittle bones or a face full of acne.

March 20, 2014 5:42 PM