User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

Review by Bethany1234:

I gained 40 pounds on Depo Provera shot.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When I was 16 I had the WORST period. Major cramps to where I couldn't go to school, bloated super bad. So my dr. Recommended the shot. I got it. And since then I've had not even the slightest spotting. And it's been 2 years. One night the condom broke completely and I was so worried. But didn't get pregant. I've gained 5-10 pounds over the course. But I for sure recommend.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 8:51 PM

Review by Cookie933 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was on the Depo shot for a little over a year and a half. At first I had a very long period (14 days for a few months when my period was generally about 3 days previously). Then I stopped having a period altogether. Its been a month since I was due for my shot. After reading online I was worried that I would be waiting months-year to get my period back after it however, I woke up today and thankfully got it. I've never been so happy to get my period before. I guess I'm one of those lucky few that get their period back as soon as they are off of it.

July 21, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Don't!:

I am 34 with 3 kids. I tried the pill but had incredibly tender breasts, tried the copper coil for 6 weeks but had cramps and spotting. I thought I'd give Depo Provera injection just one go. I don't think my body likes hormonal contraception. I am constantly bleeding after the injection. AND I suddenly have psoriasis all over my face and hands. Its peeling, red and itchy. I look like someone beat me up! Its embarrassing as you can imagine.

July 2, 2014 9:43 AM

Review by britmarie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was on the shot for 2 years. I'm 5'3 120 pounds naturally. I weighed up to 130 while on the shot. It is extremely effective for protection against pregnancy. Although I have no sex drive and terrible mood swings and weight gain in abdomen, face and buttocks. The pros would be clear skin and effectiveness against pregnancy but wouldn't recommend it for short term birth control or for women who gain weight easily. Took my body almost a year to regulate itself after stopping.

July 1, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by Kayla Lauren (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Does its job as a birth control. Convenient that it is only every 3 months and it's discreet. However, the side effects aren't worth it. I had mood swings, increased appetite and cravings, (which lead to a 10 lb weight gain within first 3 months), and constant bleeding for over 2 months. Once I switched to the pill after my first shot, my appetite went back to normal, I'm acting like myself, and the bleeding stopped immediately. I receive free service at Planned Parenthood as a teenager so all of my birth controls are at no cost.

June 29, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by EleanorR96:

Im 17 years old, 5'4 and weigh 113 pounds. Got my first injection on May 22nd. First few days was fine, got it while I was on my period so it was immediately effective. First week was fine but after a while I began spotting and since then I have been on a constant period with occasional cramps. I already suffer from some anxiety issues which Depo-Provera has intensified but I expected this. Feel dizzy when I'm laying down to go to sleep but its gone by morning. No change in sex drive but I've noticed most people's decrease. The site of injection hurt a little for 3-4 days but now I can't feel it. Have little energy and can't walk to school anymore because I'm constantly too tired. Wont be getting this injection again, going to try Nexplanon implant.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2014 7:27 AM

Review by Polandspring:

I am 17, 5'5 weighing 145lbs. I started the Depo shot a little more than 3 months ago. The first time I received the shot, within 3 months I've lost 9 pounds. Normally I get nauseous from birth control but the only con I've experienced was anxiety. I recently just got the second shot and the amount of anxiety attacks are ridiculous. Lost my appetite for a week, lost a few pounds from that. Before I took the shot, I rarely had anxiety. Also, I spot once a month extremely lightly, rarely get cramps. No bad mood swings!

June 1, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by Jadey123x (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had this Depo for two years and as much as it was easier with no pill no period etc it ended up the worst thing I've ever had I have developed cystic acne hard nodular lumps under my skin which have left me depressed with how they look. They were awful and my hair was shedding rapidly. I went to the doctor and came off it he put me on Dianette and advised to take it the first day I come on. 3 months in and no proper period. One weekend I suffered severe and I must emphasize severe pain and cramping I could not move and was having very dark blood clots. To this day my skin is still awful I am now on lymecyline and the doctors told me to use the Dianette contraceptive for my skin anyway. I have never ever had skin problems previous to this.

May 29, 2014 4:40 PM

Review by Stacey Delaney (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I loved the fact that I had to go in only every 3 months but didn't take the time to realize and read the side effects and that it made me gain quite a bit weight I was like 135lbs and then got up to 140lbs something.

May 23, 2014 5:47 PM

Review by Scared as f*** (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

So, I started this because I'm terrible with rememebering to take the pill daily. I absolutely LOVED the fact that I only had to go in every 3 months to get it done. The shot was very minor, with little to no pain. For the first three months it was heavenly, I had no side effects, and no period what so ever. But the road after that was hell. I gained a total of 40 pounds (in 6 months) due to the fact that I was hungry all the time. I was very moody and depressed also. Not only that, but I basically lost all my sex drive, and the majority of the time on the shot I spotted, and when I wasn't spotting, I was on my period.

May 11, 2014 10:38 PM

Review by Tiffnaayyyy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I am 25 years old and have been on Depo-Provera for around 3 years. I have very little side effects & absolutely love not worrying about pregnancy or periods! I can't imagine going back to having a monthly period, I am very content with my light spotting every three months a week before my next shot. I never plan on having children so I have no problem staying on this long-term. I've been losing/gaining 20 pounds on and off many years before I started Depo, and considering I do not exercise I cannot blame any weight gain on this. My only concern is bone density loss. I eat calcium rich vegetables daily & take vitamin D, but may start calcium supplementation as well depending on my results from a bone density screening.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2014 2:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on Depo since last August (3 shots). I love it! I had two pill pregnancies, so obviously, I had to get on something that I didn't have to worry about remembering. In the first 4 months, I did have some bleeding issues (I would spot for weeks at a time), but I haven't had a period in a long time. I haven't experienced any of the other side effects either. I love it and I recommend it all the time!

April 30, 2014 4:59 PM

Review by HBM:

I'm 16 years old, and I have been on the shot since July 2013. I haven't had any of the side effects like having unusual cramps, headaches, or ance. The only problem that I have is I spot on and off for about 2-3 weeks right before I'm supposed to get my next shot.

April 20, 2014 10:20 PM

Review by rikita (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I took this shot about 2 months ago and was excited for it. I had read many good things about it and I am quite a forgetful person so a shot once every three months was great. Little did I know though that it would not be great for me. I had my period for 17 days. It finally went away but now I have my period again, hoping it won't last 17 days again... Just like a previous reviewer stated as well, I was super energetic and lively and this shot has made me quite withdrawn and quiet. I really hate that. I also feel myself becoming a little more emotional over small matters that I would laugh at before. This wasn't the birth control for me.

March 21, 2014 2:20 PM

I've never had acne and I cannot seem to get rid of it. I'm sure it's because of the Depo Provera as it started shortly after my first injection. I am in my 30's and an active runner. My hips and knees seem to be much more sore after runs after I started the Depo. I also have osteoporosis in my family and that is not helping my bone density situation. On the positive side, it's easy to take, stops my periods and I lost weight on it. All that being said, this will be my last cycle as the convenience is not worth brittle bones or a face full of acne.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 5:42 PM

Review by ash456124:

I was on the shot for a little over 3 years I gained a total of 5 pounds being on the shot. I got off the shot because it was ruining my teeth! It had been awhile since I went to the dentist but when I went I was told I had 17 cavities. I was shocked! I bush my teeth everyday, I may not floss like I should, but 17? That's not the worst part thought after they fixed all my teeth I go back a month later for a cleaning to find out I had gotten 7 more cavities. How does this happen within a months time? I finally realized it was the Depo-Provera after actually reading the paper the doctor gives you every time you get the shot.

March 3, 2014 6:36 PM

Review by ZoeyM (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been on the Depo shot for 6 Months. I had 3 shots so Far%u2026 the first shot was great Ive had no periods at all when I got my second shot. About 4 weeks after I started bleeding almost everyday but once I got my third shot it had stopped, I am not having any problems so far. But I Am constantly losing weight like when I started the shot I was 129lbs, I am now 114lbs how is this happening? I eat all the time.

February 24, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by P.angel92:

I have been on Depo for about a year now! I got it in April in 2013 and now it's February 2014. I kept bleeding since I got it till about October. So I had about 2 shots by then. When got my 3rd shot, I stopped bleeding. I haven't got a period since then. I weighed about 105lbs now I weigh 130lbs, I gained so much weight.

February 18, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by PatrinaMB:

I started using Depo-Provera middle of January 2014 it has been a month and I haven't had a period. I have severe breast ache on my left breast and sometimes I may get cramps. I sleep all the time and I am always tired and on edge. I have control on the way I feel and I am grateful for the injection as I forget to take my pills.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2014 10:22 PM

Review by SiWi (taken for 1 to 2 years):

It was great at first. No periods and no hassle of taking a pill. However, I was so tired all the time that I would sleep 12 hours and want to go right back to sleep. It also made me very depressed and moody, almost manic at times. Not to mention, it made my breasts smaller.

February 9, 2014 5:22 PM

Review by Amberleaotto:

Being a newlywed, I was looking for a birth control I could trust, I originally was on the pill, but I have cyclical vomiting syndrome, I'll basically have cycles where I vomit uncontrollably, so during a 3 week cycle, I realized the pill would not be a good fit for me. So I switched to the shot, the second month I was on my period for a full 30 days, which I was told was normal, after that I haven't had a period at all, I have had no side effects, no weight gain, and most importantly no pregnancy scares.

January 28, 2014 12:17 PM

Review by nechelle34:

I am 4 wks into shot and feel horrible! My sex drive is gone, side pains, cramps, headaches, and so tired all the time. My mood swings make me feel like I am crazy! Oh and now I have this metallic taste in my mouth. I just want to sleep all day because of the constant cramping..I feel horrible. My face is changing too! I am black and my face looks so dry and discolored.

January 28, 2014 10:37 AM

Review by Britany a:

I have been on this birth control since I was 16, I am now 21. I was not sexually active til 17. I didn't really have any interest in sex until I was 19, referring to sex drive. Depo was the best decision I ever made the first 3 years, then my body starting having random cramps from time to time. I could be walking and I would have to stop for 2 minutes. I wouldn't move. I would have discharge. I had 2 day periods for 2 years every 3 months right before my next shot .. Now I'll spot for a couple weeks. I started at 112 now I'm 121 . I never had a problem with gaining weight. I'm still not pregnant. So I'll stay on this because the pros outweigh the cons.

January 6, 2014 1:55 AM

Review by Samanthalsxox:

I have been on DEPROVERA shot for about a year and a half. It works of course. But I have recently decided to quit with the shots because of the horrible side effects. I have headaches every single day. I just want to sleep and that's all I want to do. Im a very active person so that was easy to notice. Also, I get horrible shooting pains that is in my lower stomach and back.

January 3, 2014 9:20 PM