User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 202 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

Review by liza342524645676:

Two years on depo... I have been combatting depression, fatigue, and vaginal dryness since my third shot hoping that I could overcome them or being in denial that is was from the shot, but it's definitely a side effect of the birth control. Though the shot is convenient, with no periods and strong hair and nails, I totally feel like I've been through menopause and am an old lady with NO sex drive. Switching to the patch in December, wish me luck.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by Anna Dobson (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Didn't get pregnant, but how could I when I bled for 3 months straight! And gained weight..

October 28, 2014 5:26 PM

Review by Samantha3580:

I was on the Depo-Provera for 5 years. It worked amazing for me. Never got my period after the third shot, and never got pregnant. What I didn't love was that I got all the bad side effects that came along with it. But don't think this is a bad birth control because I got every side effect that came with it I was just unlucky my body is different then other peoples. My friend got no side effects on this birth control. Just note that this is a short term birth control tho. I think I was on it for too many years. I'm on something different now. I would recommend this birth control

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2014 1:08 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When I first got the shot I skipped my first period and then had really light periods after that for a few months. Then my period started occurring more often. About 2 weeks of bleeding then 1 week off then bleed for 1 week then 1 week off or less then bleed for 2 weeks. Really weird! That occurred for a couple months. Then I started bleeding non stop for awhile. It was really light but who likes bleeding all the time. Finally at about 1 year of sticking it out. I now am back to skipping the first period after getting the shot and sometimes skip the second or sometimes light spotting. I do bleed a little heavier just before my next shot is due. Makes me think it's wearing of too soon. Had no other side effects though.

October 6, 2014 7:06 PM

Review by Sadie Bady:

I'm 15 years old. I'm a sophomore in high school. I started taking the Depo-Provera shot around my freshman year. It actually hasn't given me any bad side effects beside loss of hair, I haven't lost a lot a hair, and mood swings. My freshman year I weighed 155 and now I weigh 119. I'm 5'3 and haven't gained a pound from this shot yet. I hate shots but it's definitely worth taking for having no period. I haven't experienced depression or any of the other side effects except the ones listed above. But not everyone is the same. I would recommend talking to your doctor about it before jumping into taking it!

September 24, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by Jordan111:

Honestly the best birth control i've been on. I had to switch from the pill to the shot due to medications I am on and I have had no problems with this birth control. Of course I gained a couple pounds but thats just a given. I gained maybe five pounds so nothing drastic. Will continue to use!

September 20, 2014 3:33 PM

Review by heather red:

I liked this medication when I first got it but after awhile I started to get migraines, dizziness, hot flashes, weight gain, heavy bleeding and severe depression.

September 19, 2014 8:01 PM

Review by 9r9:

Very effective but bad side effects. I'm 17 and I've had two doses of it but I won't be continuing it. I have gained weight that is IMPOSSIBLE to lose, I get head rushes and I feel dizzy almost every time I stand up and lots of cramping. I stopped getting my period but one every month-two months I have a few drops of blood but that's it. I'm not happy with the shot but it was effective.

September 7, 2014 12:47 AM

Review by Becca1248:

I started the shot when I was 17 about to be 18. I am now 20 about to be 21. Very effective at preventing pregnancy. However, I have terrible mood swings, migraines, and weight gain. When I started taking Depo I was the healthiest I have ever been. Slowly but surely I put on the pounds and my depression became unbearable! The first year I didn't gain much, maybe ten pounds and went from a size 4 to a size 6. I weighed 135, now I weigh about 170. It's horrendous! I just switched birth control yesterday, so I hope it treats me better than Depo Provera!

August 29, 2014 1:53 PM

I'm 32 yrs old. I went on Depo-Provera for 3 months and it was horrible. I constantly felt like I was running a fever and sweating like crazy. I had horrible PMS but no period. The only good thing about it was the convenience.

August 14, 2014 10:09 AM

Review by College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started this birth control at 145lbs 5'3 so I was already a little heavy but I was working out and eating healthy to keep losing weight. The first shot seemed fine. By the second shot, I gained 5lbs which I thought was odd but the doctor said it was normal. I then started becoming very depressed and spent most of my days sleeping or in bed. I gained another 10 lbs. when it was time for the third shot. The 3rd shot made me gain 25 more lbs where I was at 185. I always ate relatively healthy and went to the gym. And I decided to not take the 4th shot. And it's been about a month past when I was supposed to take the 4th shot and I'm finally starting to lose weight. I'm at 175 now and still have a long way to go.

August 13, 2014 3:14 PM

Review by Anonn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My first shot of depo was great, no mood swings or any other side affects other than some very light spotting. Happy with my first shot, I got a 2nd but it didn't turn out as the first shot did. I'm happy because there's no mood swings or really any mental side effects which is why I switched from the pill. However, I was told my period would completely go away or just be light spotting, but for some reason I have now been having a normal/heavy period for over a month now which concerning. I've also been experiencing a lot of headaches, and cramps that can get so bad they'll sometimes wake me up from dead sleep. I'll be going to the doctor soon to get off of this, blood loss is not fun :c don't think this is super common though

August 9, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by emlee_ (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 17 and have been on Depo for 3 months. I started off with no side effects for the first 3 weeks, until I was late for my period by 2 weeks, then when I eventually had my period I have been spotting for the last 6 weeks. Which is really becoming annoying and making me feel depressed. I haven't lost my sex drive, but I have had major mood swings and sore breasts for the past 2 months. I feel as though I will keep using Depo for the next 2 shots and see if anything changes, because overall I feel as though minus the spotting it is beneficial.

August 7, 2014 5:25 PM

Review by Raye1:

I am 25 and I have been on Depo-Provera for about 3 years. My mother is my doctor so she warned me about the weight gain. I somehow lost 5lbs once I started taking it. My weight has been up and down for the past 2 years but I don't think it is due to the shot. Its my love of food. Anyways, the shot is great; every 3 months. I haven't had a period for 3 years. Spotting every now and then but that's okay. I am very worried about getting off of the shot but I will prepare for that when the time comes.

August 4, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by Bethany1234:

I gained 40 pounds on Depo Provera shot.

July 24, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When I was 16 I had the WORST period. Major cramps to where I couldn't go to school, bloated super bad. So my dr. Recommended the shot. I got it. And since then I've had not even the slightest spotting. And it's been 2 years. One night the condom broke completely and I was so worried. But didn't get pregant. I've gained 5-10 pounds over the course. But I for sure recommend.

July 21, 2014 8:51 PM

Review by Cookie933 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was on the Depo shot for a little over a year and a half. At first I had a very long period (14 days for a few months when my period was generally about 3 days previously). Then I stopped having a period altogether. Its been a month since I was due for my shot. After reading online I was worried that I would be waiting months-year to get my period back after it however, I woke up today and thankfully got it. I've never been so happy to get my period before. I guess I'm one of those lucky few that get their period back as soon as they are off of it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Don't!:

I am 34 with 3 kids. I tried the pill but had incredibly tender breasts, tried the copper coil for 6 weeks but had cramps and spotting. I thought I'd give Depo Provera injection just one go. I don't think my body likes hormonal contraception. I am constantly bleeding after the injection. AND I suddenly have psoriasis all over my face and hands. Its peeling, red and itchy. I look like someone beat me up! Its embarrassing as you can imagine.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2014 9:43 AM

Review by britmarie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was on the shot for 2 years. I'm 5'3 120 pounds naturally. I weighed up to 130 while on the shot. It is extremely effective for protection against pregnancy. Although I have no sex drive and terrible mood swings and weight gain in abdomen, face and buttocks. The pros would be clear skin and effectiveness against pregnancy but wouldn't recommend it for short term birth control or for women who gain weight easily. Took my body almost a year to regulate itself after stopping.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by Kayla Lauren (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Does its job as a birth control. Convenient that it is only every 3 months and it's discreet. However, the side effects aren't worth it. I had mood swings, increased appetite and cravings, (which lead to a 10 lb weight gain within first 3 months), and constant bleeding for over 2 months. Once I switched to the pill after my first shot, my appetite went back to normal, I'm acting like myself, and the bleeding stopped immediately. I receive free service at Planned Parenthood as a teenager so all of my birth controls are at no cost.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by EleanorR96:

Im 17 years old, 5'4 and weigh 113 pounds. Got my first injection on May 22nd. First few days was fine, got it while I was on my period so it was immediately effective. First week was fine but after a while I began spotting and since then I have been on a constant period with occasional cramps. I already suffer from some anxiety issues which Depo-Provera has intensified but I expected this. Feel dizzy when I'm laying down to go to sleep but its gone by morning. No change in sex drive but I've noticed most people's decrease. The site of injection hurt a little for 3-4 days but now I can't feel it. Have little energy and can't walk to school anymore because I'm constantly too tired. Wont be getting this injection again, going to try Nexplanon implant.

June 27, 2014 7:27 AM

Review by Polandspring:

I am 17, 5'5 weighing 145lbs. I started the Depo shot a little more than 3 months ago. The first time I received the shot, within 3 months I've lost 9 pounds. Normally I get nauseous from birth control but the only con I've experienced was anxiety. I recently just got the second shot and the amount of anxiety attacks are ridiculous. Lost my appetite for a week, lost a few pounds from that. Before I took the shot, I rarely had anxiety. Also, I spot once a month extremely lightly, rarely get cramps. No bad mood swings!

June 1, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by Jadey123x (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had this Depo for two years and as much as it was easier with no pill no period etc it ended up the worst thing I've ever had I have developed cystic acne hard nodular lumps under my skin which have left me depressed with how they look. They were awful and my hair was shedding rapidly. I went to the doctor and came off it he put me on Dianette and advised to take it the first day I come on. 3 months in and no proper period. One weekend I suffered severe and I must emphasize severe pain and cramping I could not move and was having very dark blood clots. To this day my skin is still awful I am now on lymecyline and the doctors told me to use the Dianette contraceptive for my skin anyway. I have never ever had skin problems previous to this.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 4:40 PM

Review by Stacey Delaney (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I loved the fact that I had to go in only every 3 months but didn't take the time to realize and read the side effects and that it made me gain quite a bit weight I was like 135lbs and then got up to 140lbs something.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2014 5:47 PM

Review by Scared as f*** (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

So, I started this because I'm terrible with rememebering to take the pill daily. I absolutely LOVED the fact that I only had to go in every 3 months to get it done. The shot was very minor, with little to no pain. For the first three months it was heavenly, I had no side effects, and no period what so ever. But the road after that was hell. I gained a total of 40 pounds (in 6 months) due to the fact that I was hungry all the time. I was very moody and depressed also. Not only that, but I basically lost all my sex drive, and the majority of the time on the shot I spotted, and when I wasn't spotting, I was on my period.

May 11, 2014 10:38 PM