User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

Pros: Effective (Always was on time for my injection) No period No more PMS Cons: Cramping on and off throughout a year on Depo shot Gained 50 pounds within a year Raised blood pressure Nervousness and dizziness

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 8:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It's very effective, I give it that. I didn't get pregnant. I've been on this birth control for 6 months and I've gained 40lbs. Yes.. 40!!! I ate healthy and exercised everyday. I DO NOT RECOMMEND if you want to keep you figure or plan to lose weight.

January 7, 2015 9:39 PM

Review by 12356:

I got my first Depo shot November 19th. Since then I only had minor spotting and cramps, no mood swings or major weight gain if anything my weight is far more stable and satisfactory. Although on the 2nd of January I began my normal period again and hoping it will end on the 6th. Definitely would recommend.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2015 8:59 PM

Review by Violinent (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Everyone I talk to seems to have had different experiences with Depo. For me it has been a perfect experience, but my sister had a horrible time with it. I had very light spotting after the first shot during what should have been my monthly period, and since then have had absolutely no period or spotting. My weight has remained at a constant level the entire 4 years that I've been taking it, and I haven't experience moods swings, hair loss, or any of the other common symptoms. My doctor warned me that the shot could make my migraines worse, but I haven't noticed any difference in prevalence or severity. Everyone's body reacts differently, but it is definitely worth trying. I love this form of contraception - no periods and no babies!

January 2, 2015 12:14 PM

Review by Tia.123:

Depo as a birth control I guess it worked, everything else just went wrong! I only had one shot and dont think I will ever go back. Within two weeks of getting the injection I got really bad headache, depressed, abdominal cramps, flash bleeding vomiting , unstable gate , memory loss, my face broke out, lost a bunch of weight, optic nerve damage, I went into svt and the list goes on. My whole life turned upside down. So yes it may work for some people with no side effects but it has damaged my life

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2014 7:18 PM

Review by Lacey92:

I'm due for my second shot next week. I'm very torn about getting it. When I got the shot, I didn't have any side effects. (at first) Every month since the shot I bleed for about 3 weeks straight. It really bothers me. One of the main reasons I got on it was to try to help my periods. Just makes them worse!

December 21, 2014 6:50 PM

Review by lnzlue:

I got my shot in the middle of October and I don't like it. I'm not pregnant but that may be because my sex drive is completely nonexistent. I can't lose much weight even though I am breastfeeding and following Weight Watchers. I have random bleeding and my vagina is incredibly dry. Not renewing my shot next month.

December 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by Sharni:

I've just gotten the second shot today, and I must say I love it, haven't had my period had the tiniest bit of spotting I still get cramps when I'm due for my period but nothing else. I have also not gotten pregnant at all. Probably the best decision I ever made.

December 18, 2014 1:51 AM

Review by Ilovedepo:

I LOVE Depo! Been on it for about 2 1/2 years, only side effects are some weight gain (5-10 pounds) and minor cramping once a month maybe. I used to have TERRIBLE periods, ever since my first shot I haven't had a single period or spotting. It's nice only having to go in once every 3 months. Definitely 10/10!

December 14, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by Ms.T.:

I've been on the shot for 7 years, no cycle, no other children and no weight gain. The only side effects that I think I'm having now is low sex drive because I can't get into sex like I used too. I don't like taking pills and forget to with vitamins so I know they wouldn't be a good idea. But I do think being on the shot for so long actually messed with the hormones because my face tends to break out every other week but other than that I love it but its time to get off!

December 5, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by tnk092012:

I got this shot a few weeks ago and my side effects are already horrible. I had anxiety before but now it's so much worse. My mood swings are unreal and my breasts have been so tender to the point where I can't touch them at all and they've grown a ton. Not to mention the few pounds I've already put on in the short time. I will never take the shot again. I don't recommend this form at all. Once you get the shot, not matter how miserable the effects are you can't do anything about it. Going back onto the pill once this wears off.

November 30, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Shay_Shmow (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I LOVE Depo-Provera! Only 1 shot every 3 months. Unlike the stupid pill which I keep forgetting to take. Weight gain is the only negative thing for me, which I don't really care for. No mood swings, no period. So I'm super happy with my shot yay!

November 22, 2014 7:48 PM

Review by liza342524645676:

Two years on depo... I have been combatting depression, fatigue, and vaginal dryness since my third shot hoping that I could overcome them or being in denial that is was from the shot, but it's definitely a side effect of the birth control. Though the shot is convenient, with no periods and strong hair and nails, I totally feel like I've been through menopause and am an old lady with NO sex drive. Switching to the patch in December, wish me luck.

November 17, 2014 3:50 PM

I'm 18 going to be 19 soon. I had really heavy periods for 8 days straight and my period would come a week early. It was regular just less than a month until each one and I also had really bad cramps to the point where I couldn't move. The pill was my first option and it made me bleed for 3 months straight. A while later I was considering birth control and I finally chose the Depo-Provera, it was the perfect choice for me. Once I got the shot I never got a period/any bleeding again. I personally didn't gain any weight. All the side effects didn't bother me. And works well against pregnancy. I've saw a lot of bad reviews but mine was perfect so everyone's body is different. I would recommend talking to your doctor. He/she will know what's best.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by Anna Dobson (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Didn't get pregnant, but how could I when I bled for 3 months straight! And gained weight..

October 28, 2014 5:26 PM

Review by vegas7 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on the shot for 9 years, I love it, my doctor said I will have to take Xanax and Lexapro with the Depo to even out the mood swings, I am fine and my moods are good, it is natural that your body has bleeding and spotting I have it too, but it does not bother me as much as I suffered with PMS, forgetting things all the time, and being bitchy. Now I don't have that, I FEEL GREAT! Cramps yes but not as bad.

October 26, 2014 1:32 AM

Review by Samantha3580:

I was on the Depo-Provera for 5 years. It worked amazing for me. Never got my period after the third shot, and never got pregnant. What I didn't love was that I got all the bad side effects that came along with it. But don't think this is a bad birth control because I got every side effect that came with it I was just unlucky my body is different then other peoples. My friend got no side effects on this birth control. Just note that this is a short term birth control tho. I think I was on it for too many years. I'm on something different now. I would recommend this birth control

October 18, 2014 1:08 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When I first got the shot I skipped my first period and then had really light periods after that for a few months. Then my period started occurring more often. About 2 weeks of bleeding then 1 week off then bleed for 1 week then 1 week off or less then bleed for 2 weeks. Really weird! That occurred for a couple months. Then I started bleeding non stop for awhile. It was really light but who likes bleeding all the time. Finally at about 1 year of sticking it out. I now am back to skipping the first period after getting the shot and sometimes skip the second or sometimes light spotting. I do bleed a little heavier just before my next shot is due. Makes me think it's wearing of too soon. Had no other side effects though.

October 6, 2014 7:06 PM

Review by Sadie Bady:

I'm 15 years old. I'm a sophomore in high school. I started taking the Depo-Provera shot around my freshman year. It actually hasn't given me any bad side effects beside loss of hair, I haven't lost a lot a hair, and mood swings. My freshman year I weighed 155 and now I weigh 119. I'm 5'3 and haven't gained a pound from this shot yet. I hate shots but it's definitely worth taking for having no period. I haven't experienced depression or any of the other side effects except the ones listed above. But not everyone is the same. I would recommend talking to your doctor about it before jumping into taking it!

September 24, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by Jordan111:

Honestly the best birth control i've been on. I had to switch from the pill to the shot due to medications I am on and I have had no problems with this birth control. Of course I gained a couple pounds but thats just a given. I gained maybe five pounds so nothing drastic. Will continue to use!

September 20, 2014 3:33 PM

Review by heather red:

I liked this medication when I first got it but after awhile I started to get migraines, dizziness, hot flashes, weight gain, heavy bleeding and severe depression.

September 19, 2014 8:01 PM

Review by 9r9:

Very effective but bad side effects. I'm 17 and I've had two doses of it but I won't be continuing it. I have gained weight that is IMPOSSIBLE to lose, I get head rushes and I feel dizzy almost every time I stand up and lots of cramping. I stopped getting my period but one every month-two months I have a few drops of blood but that's it. I'm not happy with the shot but it was effective.

September 7, 2014 12:47 AM

Review by Becca1248:

I started the shot when I was 17 about to be 18. I am now 20 about to be 21. Very effective at preventing pregnancy. However, I have terrible mood swings, migraines, and weight gain. When I started taking Depo I was the healthiest I have ever been. Slowly but surely I put on the pounds and my depression became unbearable! The first year I didn't gain much, maybe ten pounds and went from a size 4 to a size 6. I weighed 135, now I weigh about 170. It's horrendous! I just switched birth control yesterday, so I hope it treats me better than Depo Provera!

August 29, 2014 1:53 PM

I'm 32 yrs old. I went on Depo-Provera for 3 months and it was horrible. I constantly felt like I was running a fever and sweating like crazy. I had horrible PMS but no period. The only good thing about it was the convenience.

August 14, 2014 10:09 AM

Review by College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started this birth control at 145lbs 5'3 so I was already a little heavy but I was working out and eating healthy to keep losing weight. The first shot seemed fine. By the second shot, I gained 5lbs which I thought was odd but the doctor said it was normal. I then started becoming very depressed and spent most of my days sleeping or in bed. I gained another 10 lbs. when it was time for the third shot. The 3rd shot made me gain 25 more lbs where I was at 185. I always ate relatively healthy and went to the gym. And I decided to not take the 4th shot. And it's been about a month past when I was supposed to take the 4th shot and I'm finally starting to lose weight. I'm at 175 now and still have a long way to go.

August 13, 2014 3:14 PM