User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Review Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 209 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"I have been on the depo for 6 1/2 years. I love it! It works. AND No periods. No weight issues. No crazyness. About a week before I am due for my three month shot I will spot but it is no big deal. My doctor has recommended that I switch to a different birth control since I have been on this for so long and there is debate about bone mass being impacted after long term use. I am sad to switch honestly. I will be switching to mirena and am VERY nervous to try something different. I am only 22 so hopefully my body will adapt to mirena alright."

hellopeeps! August 31, 2015

"I absolutely love being on the depo shot. I have never had and problems or side effects except one and that is I don't get periods any more at all. I love that and its every 3 months I'm not planning on having any more kids any time soon I have 2 already, both girls 11 & 6 yrs old. I'm 29 yrs old and been on the depo shot 6 yrs. Anyone thinking of getting it. Get it its the best"

Lauriegreeneyes August 30, 2015

"I was on Depo for twoish years. The first year was great spotted 3 months in and then never had a period at all. And then beginning mid second year everything changed. My mood swings were though the roof I gained 10-15 lbs I felt depressed. It definitely does the job of preventing pregnancy but the side effects were through the roof. I live an active lifestyle work out 2-5x a week and have been doing weight watchers for 1 year my weight is always up and down but I feel like its a cycle. I get motivated for a few weeks lose a few pounds and then get depressed and stop caring. I talked to my doctor and she does believe it is from depo. So I went back on the pill."

Kriscat99 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2015

"I was on this method of birth control from age 16-20. I loved it! I never noticed a weight gain, no periods at all for this entire time. In retrospect that probably isn't healthy but at the time it didn't bother me in the slightest. I had pretty intense mood swings, but I was also In a very unstable relationship at the time so I'm not going to pin the mood swings entirely on the depo. I recently switched to Trinessa pills and absolutely hate them, I never realized how happy I was with the depo shot until I started something else. I'm slightly concerned with the long term effects of the shot, but I might end up switching back to it. I know it has a rep for making people gain crazy weight, but it didn't have that effect on me."

cassidylea (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 28, 2015

"I was on the depo shot for about a year. I loved it. I had no periods at all for the year. I decided to try to conceive so I stopped getting the shot. The month after I was due for my shot I got my period again. Two weeks later and I'm still bleeding. I had very normal periods before the shot, always 4-7 days, on time every month. I'm nervous about my fertility and the constant two weeks of bleeding. I just hope it ends soon. I'm giving the shot an 8/10 because I had no side effects or periods on the shot and I didn't get pregnant. So I guess the birth control did it's job."

DTaylo August 24, 2015

"Had I seen this blog years ago I would have given the depo shot a 10+ rating. I loved it! I tried a few other BC methods prior to getting depo years ago and didn't care for any of them. Finally when I first found depo I loved it. No periods, no side effects. Everything was great. I too a break from depo for about 3 months and then when I got my first injection again (about 1 and a half months ago) everything went down hill. I got it while I was on my period and then 3 days later I stopped bleeding then about 2 weeks after I started spotting which lasted a week, now it's been almost 3 and a half weeks and I'm still bleeding I'm constantly tired because of the lack of iron from bleeding for so long. I won't be getting the second injection!"

Stephaniemarie94 August 22, 2015

"I loved the depo shot. I was on it for just under two years, and had no problems. I used this as my only form of protection since I am in a committed relationship. My only slight issue is that I gained alot of weight (about 70 pounds). My doctor believes this is due to the stress of a new job, a promotion, And some life changes, not the depo. I quit the shot in order to confirm, it's been almost three months and I'm still gaining weight, so maybe the doctor was right. I had no other side affects, And no period, from the day I started. I haven't gotten my period back in the last three months. I plan to go back on the shot very soon. It's the most convenient by far, And despite the horror stories, I've never had a problem."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 20, 2015

"Its a great contraceptive, I cant possibly get pregnant Why? Because I've had my period for 6 weeks!This is seriously the worst thing I've ever had."

Rachaeld (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2015

"Depo was not for me, but that does not mean it won't work for you! It definitely did its job preventing pregnancy. I was told the shot lasted 3 months. After my three months, I didn't go back to get another shot because my husband and I wanted to have a baby. It didn't happen for over a year AFTER those three months passed. We had another child, so it wasn't because I'm not fertile. I was also suicidal after getting depo. Not your average depressed, but actually suicidal and so crazy depressed that I wanted to die and had no clue why. I lost a lot of hair when I would brush it. I didn't gain weight. My worst side effect was the depression. It was unbearable to the point that I almost took my own life.. But it surely can prevent pregnancy."

Maryelyse93 August 17, 2015

"I've been on this medicine for 2 years now and have not had any negative side effects. For those of you reading this you shouldn't let somebody else's review determine what her or not you take this medicine, that should be decided after a long talk between you and your doctor. Every body's body is different so these reviews can not give a completely accurate description of what's going to happen to your body. I'm my experience I had irregular bleeding for about 4 months but that is the time it took my body to adjust to the medication. If you have irregular or constant bleeding for more than six months, which is two cycles of the medication then you may want to talk to your doctor because the medication might not be the right one for you."

AshleyMay August 15, 2015

"I have had no negative side effects wit this birth control. I have tried about ten different kinds of birth control pills before trying Depo and all of the pills made me an emotional mess. I have no complaints about Depo, I didn't gain weight, no periods, no crazy emotions."

Anonymous August 14, 2015

"I didn't get pregnant, which is the only reason I'm rating this a 2. I have been bleeding for 56 days straight as of today. Since I got the shot, I have experienced severe fatigue, 1-3 hour long headaches, appetite issues, inability to get out of bed, and horrible cystic acne."

locogracie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2015

"Ive been on the shot for about a year now and i absolutely hate it!!!! Ive gained so much weight and were talking like 40 lbs. Its like i cant stop eating. My cravings are absolutely horrible. Im always hungry. I work out here and there but i cant seem to lose the weight. Im 17 years old. This birth control method is not something i would suggest to anyone except for the fact that it is very effective against pregnancy"

Anonymous August 10, 2015

"So I've been going back and forth between Sprintec and Depo for the last year. I was on Sprintec from the age of 16 because of horrible cramping. I loved the pill but could never remember to take it so I was on my period all of the time. I tried depo, I don't really remember the first time taking it except for having some vaginal dryness and I lost my boobs (at 20 years old not the most exciting combination). So I got back on the pill, same issues of forgetting to take it and went back to depo for some reason I can't explain to myself. It was a horrible decision. My mood swings are ridiculous, my anger is out of control, I'm constantly bloated, I've become very constipated, spotting comes out of no where, and I'm constantly exhausted."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2015

"I have used many types of birth controls from the patch, the pill, the ring, and now the shot. I would always forget to take my pill so I decided to make the switch to depo. Although I love that I never have to think about taking my birth control, the depo shot makes me spot, a lot. To me it's not worth it. I always spotting and have ruined countless underwear. I knew there would be some spotting but the spotting has not stopped. I would rather take the pill and have a regular period than have to spot every day."

The shot (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2015

"I have had 2 injections and am discontinuing the drug after 6 months. In my opinion it is just not worth it. I experienced extreme nausea for 2 or 3 days within the first 3 months of getting the injection. My periods came early and lasted 2 week. I had many anxiety episodes and mood swings. Nearing the time of my second injection I experienced extremely heavy bleeding for 5 days, (I'm talking new super tampons every 2 hours with a regular pad for inevitable leaks) and even fainted during this time. 6 months later and most of my symptoms have gone, but I've had my period since my second injection over 3 months ago. At least it has been effective in preventing pregnancy; the combination of these symptoms leave me with no desire for sex!"

LNM August 6, 2015

"Worst thing ever. Effective yes, but destroy ladies body, especially when you stop using it. I would never recommend it. I wish I had never taken it. I took 3 shots, yet it was enough to mess up my whole cycle. Uncontrolled bleeding. Unaware when to expect blood or not. Z 100 percent bad!"

Sila August 3, 2015

"I've been on Depo twice. First time I was on it for about 3 years and now I'm on it again, and it's been 3 months. The first time I was on it absolutely loved it! No horrible side effects. This second round though, I have gained some weight which is no biggie because I do like my bigger butt lol. I think Depo is awesome, and it's really convenient and easy."

Phia August 1, 2015

"I've been taking depo-provera since May 21, 2012. I haven't had a period since but very light spotting from time to time. This my 3rd year on birth control and after my last shot on July 21 I've been bleeding uncontrollably. I don't know what's wrong but its literally making me feel sick. Light headed due to low iron. I don't know if I should stay on it or not."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2015

"Well I've been taking depo for over a year now since I had my first child . I took my last shot in April 2015 and I've decided not to take another shot because of all the bleeding I've been doing . I was supposed to take another shot on July 17th but didn't and that didn't seem to help because I'm still bleeding like crazy . I have been bleeding for almost 1 month . It's crazy ."

SlimmyMommy July 26, 2015

"I had a great experience on this medicine. I recently stopped because I got sick of the spotting. What makes me mad is as soon as I stopped, my body had finally got used to it. I was a pretty fit person too. I am 5'6 and I weight about 145 when starting, and then dropped down to 130. It's very, very rare to lose weight so don't think it will happen to you but I went to the gym in my spare time ( I mainly ran a lot) and I lost the weight. It was great and I never had to worry about being pregnant. I plan to go back on this bc again. Plus, it was free. I have tried plenty of bc and can't stand the pills, tried the nuvaring because that was free with my insurance too. Nope hated it. Everyone is different but overall this was the best BC I was on."

Jessica! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2015

"My experience on depo has been great so far , I been on it for one year I don't bleed for days , however I spot time to time. (Not a lot at all ) yes I have gained weight (only in my thighs and butt) I Get headaches but nothing extremely dreadful . mood swings! Other then that I don't I any other side affects . I haven't got pregnant lol"

skinny_mee3 July 19, 2015

"Hello everyone I was 13 years old when I started the depo. I finally got off the depo at 28 then turned around and got the 10 year IUD at the age 29. Now I'm 30 years old turning 31 in July. I never been pregnant never had no abortion. Now I want a child and can't even get pregnant. I just don't know what to do. If you know any fertility pills let me know please."

loveme31 July 19, 2015

"I find the depo really good, as im still on it. I've been on it since November 2014 and havnt had my period since, no weight gain besides maybe 2 pounds (not bad at all seeing im only 100 lbs) and havnt had any other side effects. I find its very effective and happy i dont have to worry about ruining more underwear!"

Unknown39 July 14, 2015

"I love the depo shot.. I've been on it for over two years now. I have had no period or spotting until about two years on it. I only spot about 4 weeks before my next shot and have had a little bleeding lately. Other than that I really love it. And no weight gain."

Becky86 July 9, 2015