User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Review Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"Well I've been taking depo for over a year now since I had my first child . I took my last shot in April 2015 and I've decided not to take another shot because of all the bleeding I've been doing . I was supposed to take another shot on July 17th but didn't and that didn't seem to help because I'm still bleeding like crazy . I have been bleeding for almost 1 month . It's crazy ."

SlimmyMommy July 26, 2015

"I had a great experience on this medicine. I recently stopped because I got sick of the spotting. What makes me mad is as soon as I stopped, my body had finally got used to it. I was a pretty fit person too. I am 5'6 and I weight about 145 when starting, and then dropped down to 130. It's very, very rare to lose weight so don't think it will happen to you but I went to the gym in my spare time ( I mainly ran a lot) and I lost the weight. It was great and I never had to worry about being pregnant. I plan to go back on this bc again. Plus, it was free. I have tried plenty of bc and can't stand the pills, tried the nuvaring because that was free with my insurance too. Nope hated it. Everyone is different but overall this was the best BC I was on."

Jessica! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2015

"My experience on depo has been great so far , I been on it for one year I don't bleed for days , however I spot time to time. (Not a lot at all ) yes I have gained weight (only in my thighs and butt) I Get headaches but nothing extremely dreadful . mood swings! Other then that I don't I any other side affects . I haven't got pregnant lol"

skinny_mee3 July 19, 2015

"Hello everyone I was 13 years old when I started the depo. I finally got off the depo at 28 then turned around and got the 10 year IUD at the age 29. Now I'm 30 years old turning 31 in July. I never been pregnant never had no abortion. Now I want a child and can't even get pregnant. I just don't know what to do. If you know any fertility pills let me know please."

loveme31 July 19, 2015

"I find the depo really good, as im still on it. I've been on it since November 2014 and havnt had my period since, no weight gain besides maybe 2 pounds (not bad at all seeing im only 100 lbs) and havnt had any other side effects. I find its very effective and happy i dont have to worry about ruining more underwear!"

Unknown39 July 14, 2015

"I love the depo shot.. I've been on it for over two years now. I have had no period or spotting until about two years on it. I only spot about 4 weeks before my next shot and have had a little bleeding lately. Other than that I really love it. And no weight gain."

Becky86 July 9, 2015

"I got this shot bc of a pregnancy scare and it's only been a week but I've had non stop brown spotting. I read about the pill and it said no extreme things. But now I'm reading reviews and I'm totally freaked out and now I can't get out of it. The whole point was so I could have sex with no worries but now I don't have sex bc it would be nasty. So don't do what I did, pay attention to negative reviews!!!!"

Anonymousnzb July 8, 2015

"The amount of characters I can type is limited but my story is long, so I'll shorten it for you. I've almost had the injection for a full year. I have also almost had my period for a full year, August will be the anniversary, and also when I give up on this birth control. Not spotting, a full on period. Upon receiving my last shot, the technician severed a nerve, I've never had a good experience with the administration of this injection. If I do not strictly work out based on how much I eat every single day, I begin to gain immediately. I also have extreme, very extreme body odor, vaginal, oral, the worst is under my arms. It also completely ruined my libido. From start to finish, the experience has been nothing but awful."

cccccccccc July 7, 2015

"I do not recommend this at all, at first it was great because you don't get your period for months and you don't have to worry a lot about condoms but then I realized that cant be good for your body, and when you did get your period after months it lasted a whole month also my bones started to feel weird this shot might be good for a short term thing but not a long term option it will destroy your body im sticking to condoms definitely ..you cant mess with the way your body functions"

Agneris July 6, 2015

"I would recommend this to everyone, My experience on the shot has been great. This is about my 9th month now and I never had to deal with any crazy side effects like weight gain, acne, etc. However, In the first 3 months I did have mood swings but they were never worse than any normal mood swings (for example period mood swings.) and I never got my period, bleeding, or any sporting till 6 months after I started the shot! And even then.. My period was very light and quick. Be sure to drink a lot of milk or eat dairy to replace the calcium that gets stripped from your body by taking the shot. If you don't replace your calcium, your bones can become weak or you can experience more side effects. Just take care of yourself :)"

MandaDelia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2015

"Do not get the shot. I got the shot a while ago at first everything was alright but then I got my period which I've had forever now it will not go away. I get the worst headaches that I've ever had before and they last all day and I get them everyday. I feel sick. And I also have started to feel super moody and sad out of no where. My body gets achey and I am starting to gain weight definitely will not be getting the shot again it's not worth it."

Cfischer157 June 25, 2015

"This depo shot has been the best for me I have been on it a long time and I have had no side effects from it I feel full all the time and no pregnancy scares it's really good"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 25, 2015

"Everyone's body is different so I was unsure of how mine would react, but I've had a pretty good experience with depo. I started the beginning of my junior year in high school because my periods were so bad that I would miss school because of cramping. Just taking regular Tylenol or ibuprofen wouldn't lessen the pain. So we decided to go and see if could try something that would help. And the Depo has been amazing for me. I don't have periods although for the first month and a half I did spot on and off. I do sometimes get small cramps but they are nothing like they were and they're only around the time I should be on. My moods are pretty good, I'm not depressed although I do get angrier a little easier. Best of all I've lost 10lbs."

Kat1165 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 24, 2015

"I've been on the shot for about seven months now, and haven't experienced any of negative side effects that I'd heard horror stories about (no weight gain, no unusual acne, no unusual hair growth, no significant appetite changes, etc). I did have pretty irregular spotting and bleeding for the first three months, but now I can't remember the last time I saw any blood, which suits me just fine! Overall the drug has treated me pretty well - I like not having to deal with my period each month - the only downside for me is having to schedule regular Dr.'s appointments to get the injection."

ail56neura (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2015

"I had my daughter in February this year. I received the shot the day I was released from the hospital. The shot didn't hurt and didn't quell the after pregnancy bleeding. I believe that was inevitable. This shot hasn't made me gain weight at all. I'm 119 lbs when I was 173 lbs when I was at my last check up before I had my child. The real problem with this is that I am a fricken mess. I cry at the drop of a hat. I have ZERO appetite and have to force myself to eat. BUT I have longer thicker hair and my body hair didn't change. I'm blonde and it'd be easy to tell. The serious down side is that I've been on the shot for 4 months and HAVE NOT STOPPED BLEEDING! Good lord! It's been 4 months of ruined panties and tampons."

JuicyJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2015

"I got this shot so I wont have to deal with my period this summer I got it on May 8 2015 today is June 18 2015 and I'm still bleeding. Do not get this shot!"

Aida T. June 18, 2015

"This was a huge mistake for me. Do not take it. I wish i read the reviews before i got it. I only got one shot which last for 3 months, and only in three months igained 10 pounds! My life style didn't change I was working out pretty much every day and eating helthy still I got bigger than before. Everything got worse when I discontinued the shot, i got super sad and crying for no reason, my energy is 0 right now, i just wanna be in bed all day, i am sleepy during tye day. The acne seems to increase a lot, even in unusual areas like my scalp. My period is super mess up, i bleed for two months, i don't wanna have sex. I knew about the side effects before but I didn't know that it gets worse even stopping the shot, this too much to handle"

Mua lolita. June 18, 2015

"So, I've been on depo for two years now. And I'll say, it has been the worst! I've gained 12 lbs. I have constant headaches and backaches. I'm very moody. I spot one month after getting the shot up until I get the next shot, then it repeats. I have bad cramps, and lots of hot flashes. I'm getting off the shot next month because this just isn't the BC for me."

Kurshon (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2015

"This medicine made me have really bad mood swings. I took it to stop bleeding. Bleeding never stopped. I even had thoughts of suicide. Outburst of crying for no reason. No thanks"

Anonymous June 12, 2015

"I switched from a hormonal contraceptive to Depo Provera January of 2013, never had any problems (weight gain, acne, irregular bleeding) for the first year and a half and only bled about a week or two before my next shot was due. Starting about 8 months ago I was bleeding almost 2 months before every shot and the last shot I received in March I continued to bleed 2 weeks after getting the shot. I also noticed an increase in extreme depression and anxiety. I have also spent the last 6 months dealing with breakouts (which I never had before) and an increase in keratosis pillars on my face (not sure if its related to a hormone imbalance). I would never recommend this shot to anyone."

1234567ttt June 12, 2015

"I was on Depo for about 5 years. My period would immediatly stop everytime I took the shot. That is the only positive. Aside from that I gained about 30 pounds from the shot. Thank God I was really small when I got on it , and my fat is in the " right" places. However, it doesn't change the fact that this is something that should not be on the market. Doctors will tell you that it is your diet that is causing the weight gain. However, my diet is the same as it was years ago. I decided to get off the shot , as getting a period is a part of woman hood and not enough of a reason to keep injecting something that awful in my body. I have been off about 6 months now. Thankfully my periods are regular now, but I plan to see a dietician soon!"

Doesn't Matter June 9, 2015

"I've been on the depo shot since 2013 , I think it works well, but the bad part is weight gain. First I was 117 and now I'm 152 , one of the good part about this shot is that it took my period away, & I haven't had it for a year. im Thinking of changing because of the side effects I read about but its a good birth control method"

mona10jenni May 28, 2015

"I was on this medication for 15 years and in this time I did not experience any side effects maybe a little weight gain but nothing drastic. I went from giving birth to the needle straight away and never had a period, spotting or anything. For me it worked but I know some who it didn't work for so my suggestion is try it, if its not for you then stop. what do you have to lose."

kjlta May 27, 2015

"I started the shot around Feb and went in to the clinic not knowing what I wanted. I decided on the shot there and then but then read more reviews after I got it that freaked me out - depression, loss of sex-drive, anxiety, etc. I'm pretty moody as it is so I was terrified of what I had put in my body. I did bleed and spot for about 3 weeks after which I think is totally normal because that has happened to me in starting any new birth control (pill & patch). Then I started to realize that my body was taking really well to it. I never noticed any major mood swings aside from the emotional being I already am (know yourself!). Got the second shot & still going good! I'm sure there are long-term effects though that could be considered."

Yeanabobeana May 27, 2015

"I've been on depo since I was 15 years old . . I am now 33 years old . . I first got on depo because I had really bad cyst on my ovaries and breast . . With depo it has controlled the pain and size of cyst . . I've gained maybe 5 pounds since I've been in this . . No bleeding no spotting what so ever !!! I do get lower cramping once in awhile but it is tolerable . . I also do not plan on having kiddos so this was the best choice for me :)"

Mznana (taken for 10 years or more) May 27, 2015