Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 193 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

Review by lol pollo:

This shot took me from 0-10 in seconds. My emotions were all over the place. I cried all the time was just going crazy from hormones. I then became severely anemic due to bleeding the entire time on the shot. So tired muscle cramps and out of breath. I took it due to the fact I was Breast feeding.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2015 9:10 AM

Review by HighBloodPressure166 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 21 years old was placed on this medicine for having high blood pressure and it being an estrogen free birth control. I was terrified or weight gain, spotting, and mood swings, all of which this shot is rumored to do. I have experience absolutely no bleeding since my first shot, got the second shot today and no weight gain (I do exercise daily). I have been somewhat emotional around the time of my normal period, but no more then usual. Overall I love the shot and having no period is a plus all around!

March 11, 2015 1:46 PM

Review by baltimore. mamaj:

It is effective. However the weight gain of 30 lbs now I need to lose 60lbs. The headaches dizziness and tiredness. Feeling hungry constantly and occasional numbness in my hands and feet. I am thinking of trying Implanon but the reviews don't look so great. Would prefer getting my tubes tied as we have a nice size family. I have been on it 13 months since my youngest was born and I hate that I eat and feel pregnant even though I am not.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2015 3:52 PM

Review by No kids (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Depo for 16 years. It's effective! No kids! I started seeing side effects around year 6 which included a little facial hair. Around year 19 I gained about 25 pounds (I went from 120 to about 145) it's still so worth it. No periods and no cramps after year 1! I take calcium supplements and I lift heavy weights so along with getting bone density test-so far so good.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2015 5:07 PM

Pros: Effective (Always was on time for my injection) No period No more PMS Cons: Cramping on and off throughout a year on Depo shot Gained 50 pounds within a year Raised blood pressure Nervousness and dizziness

January 19, 2015 8:19 PM

Review by Megan3212:

I got on the Depo-Provera shot at age 15 and just got off of it at age 20, and I am now on Seasonique (the pill). I didn't realize how awesome Depo was until I switched. Having no periods for 5 years was definitely great, I didn't gain any weight from the Depo even though it made me eat like I was pregnant with triplets for 5 years. There was minimal spotting which I would take over periods any day. I got moody when I started getting close to my next shot due date but that's about it. I would definitely recommend this birth control!

January 14, 2015 10:28 AM

Review by jezlynn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 28 yrs old, I have been on the Depo shot for 3 months now to regulate my periods, my first 2 months I didn't get my period at all, no side affects except a headache for the first week. Now into my 3rd month and I have had my period for going on 3 weeks straight and its really stressing me out, I have been irritable these past week, major mood swings and lost my sex drive. And no changes in my weight, but pretty sure I will not continue this method of birth control.

January 13, 2015 4:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It's very effective, I give it that. I didn't get pregnant. I've been on this birth control for 6 months and I've gained 40lbs. Yes.. 40!!! I ate healthy and exercised everyday. I DO NOT RECOMMEND if you want to keep you figure or plan to lose weight.

January 7, 2015 9:39 PM

Review by kaykaykaylakat (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effective and not disappointed. After the first 3 weeks on the shot I had heavy period for almost 20 days, but after that absolutely no period, no cramping, spotting, nothing! Some weight gain but I'm successfully burning that off. The only downside is the depression and anxiety, but those are occasional. They only happen within the first couple weeks of taking the shot and I just got my third dose. Love it but it's not for everybody!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 7:01 PM

Review by 12356:

I got my first Depo shot November 19th. Since then I only had minor spotting and cramps, no mood swings or major weight gain if anything my weight is far more stable and satisfactory. Although on the 2nd of January I began my normal period again and hoping it will end on the 6th. Definitely would recommend.

January 4, 2015 8:59 PM

Review by Violinent (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Everyone I talk to seems to have had different experiences with Depo. For me it has been a perfect experience, but my sister had a horrible time with it. I had very light spotting after the first shot during what should have been my monthly period, and since then have had absolutely no period or spotting. My weight has remained at a constant level the entire 4 years that I've been taking it, and I haven't experience moods swings, hair loss, or any of the other common symptoms. My doctor warned me that the shot could make my migraines worse, but I haven't noticed any difference in prevalence or severity. Everyone's body reacts differently, but it is definitely worth trying. I love this form of contraception - no periods and no babies!

January 2, 2015 12:14 PM

Review by Tia.123:

Depo as a birth control I guess it worked, everything else just went wrong! I only had one shot and dont think I will ever go back. Within two weeks of getting the injection I got really bad headache, depressed, abdominal cramps, flash bleeding vomiting , unstable gate , memory loss, my face broke out, lost a bunch of weight, optic nerve damage, I went into svt and the list goes on. My whole life turned upside down. So yes it may work for some people with no side effects but it has damaged my life

December 26, 2014 7:18 PM

Review by Lacey92:

I'm due for my second shot next week. I'm very torn about getting it. When I got the shot, I didn't have any side effects. (at first) Every month since the shot I bleed for about 3 weeks straight. It really bothers me. One of the main reasons I got on it was to try to help my periods. Just makes them worse!

December 21, 2014 6:50 PM

Review by lnzlue:

I got my shot in the middle of October and I don't like it. I'm not pregnant but that may be because my sex drive is completely nonexistent. I can't lose much weight even though I am breastfeeding and following Weight Watchers. I have random bleeding and my vagina is incredibly dry. Not renewing my shot next month.

December 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by Sharni:

I've just gotten the second shot today, and I must say I love it, haven't had my period had the tiniest bit of spotting I still get cramps when I'm due for my period but nothing else. I have also not gotten pregnant at all. Probably the best decision I ever made.

December 18, 2014 1:51 AM

Review by Ilovedepo:

I LOVE Depo! Been on it for about 2 1/2 years, only side effects are some weight gain (5-10 pounds) and minor cramping once a month maybe. I used to have TERRIBLE periods, ever since my first shot I haven't had a single period or spotting. It's nice only having to go in once every 3 months. Definitely 10/10!

December 14, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by Ms.T.:

I've been on the shot for 7 years, no cycle, no other children and no weight gain. The only side effects that I think I'm having now is low sex drive because I can't get into sex like I used too. I don't like taking pills and forget to with vitamins so I know they wouldn't be a good idea. But I do think being on the shot for so long actually messed with the hormones because my face tends to break out every other week but other than that I love it but its time to get off!

December 5, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by tnk092012:

I got this shot a few weeks ago and my side effects are already horrible. I had anxiety before but now it's so much worse. My mood swings are unreal and my breasts have been so tender to the point where I can't touch them at all and they've grown a ton. Not to mention the few pounds I've already put on in the short time. I will never take the shot again. I don't recommend this form at all. Once you get the shot, not matter how miserable the effects are you can't do anything about it. Going back onto the pill once this wears off.

November 30, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Shay_Shmow (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I LOVE Depo-Provera! Only 1 shot every 3 months. Unlike the stupid pill which I keep forgetting to take. Weight gain is the only negative thing for me, which I don't really care for. No mood swings, no period. So I'm super happy with my shot yay!

November 22, 2014 7:48 PM

Review by liza342524645676:

Two years on depo... I have been combatting depression, fatigue, and vaginal dryness since my third shot hoping that I could overcome them or being in denial that is was from the shot, but it's definitely a side effect of the birth control. Though the shot is convenient, with no periods and strong hair and nails, I totally feel like I've been through menopause and am an old lady with NO sex drive. Switching to the patch in December, wish me luck.

November 17, 2014 3:50 PM

I'm 18 going to be 19 soon. I had really heavy periods for 8 days straight and my period would come a week early. It was regular just less than a month until each one and I also had really bad cramps to the point where I couldn't move. The pill was my first option and it made me bleed for 3 months straight. A while later I was considering birth control and I finally chose the Depo-Provera, it was the perfect choice for me. Once I got the shot I never got a period/any bleeding again. I personally didn't gain any weight. All the side effects didn't bother me. And works well against pregnancy. I've saw a lot of bad reviews but mine was perfect so everyone's body is different. I would recommend talking to your doctor. He/she will know what's best.

November 14, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by Anna Dobson (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Didn't get pregnant, but how could I when I bled for 3 months straight! And gained weight..

October 28, 2014 5:26 PM

Review by vegas7 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on the shot for 9 years, I love it, my doctor said I will have to take Xanax and Lexapro with the Depo to even out the mood swings, I am fine and my moods are good, it is natural that your body has bleeding and spotting I have it too, but it does not bother me as much as I suffered with PMS, forgetting things all the time, and being bitchy. Now I don't have that, I FEEL GREAT! Cramps yes but not as bad.

October 26, 2014 1:32 AM

Review by Samantha3580:

I was on the Depo-Provera for 5 years. It worked amazing for me. Never got my period after the third shot, and never got pregnant. What I didn't love was that I got all the bad side effects that came along with it. But don't think this is a bad birth control because I got every side effect that came with it I was just unlucky my body is different then other peoples. My friend got no side effects on this birth control. Just note that this is a short term birth control tho. I think I was on it for too many years. I'm on something different now. I would recommend this birth control

October 18, 2014 1:08 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When I first got the shot I skipped my first period and then had really light periods after that for a few months. Then my period started occurring more often. About 2 weeks of bleeding then 1 week off then bleed for 1 week then 1 week off or less then bleed for 2 weeks. Really weird! That occurred for a couple months. Then I started bleeding non stop for awhile. It was really light but who likes bleeding all the time. Finally at about 1 year of sticking it out. I now am back to skipping the first period after getting the shot and sometimes skip the second or sometimes light spotting. I do bleed a little heavier just before my next shot is due. Makes me think it's wearing of too soon. Had no other side effects though.

October 6, 2014 7:06 PM