Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera review summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 193 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was given a depo provera shot after an essure procedure. I had never taken it before. I had non stop bleeding for 3 months until my doctor gave me another birth control to take on top of it. The bleeding stopped for a couple weeks but came back and has not stopped for a month and a half. Definite weight gain. This drug should only be used to treat specific conditions and not be used as a general birth control.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2015 10:26 PM

Review by SierrraRose (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera is the best birth control I have ever experienced. I have had NONE of the said side effects. No weight gain, no bleeding whatsoever, and no uncomfortable side effects. It is easy to remember, only having to go in every 3 months. I highly recommend this form of birth control. Great experience.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2015 7:39 PM

Review by Nicolee:

I've been on the Depo-Provera shot for over 8 months now, I received my first shortly after I had my son, I was breastfeeding so this was my only option. The only pros for me are its convenient, I'm a nurse and I just pick it up from pharmacy and inject myself or a friend from work does it for me then I'm good for three months, no remembering to take a pill. Cons have been constant bleeding on and off, longest being over 3 weeks straight. I have gained back all the weight that I did lose from having my baby and am now stuck at the same weight I was at 9 months pregnant, it's awful and embarrassing, I am constantly hungry like constantly and I crave sweets and chocolate more than anything. I also am sweating like crazy all the time.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2015 5:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Taking the shot was a mistake. My period started at the usual time-then didn't stop for just under 3 months. Doctor said it was normal and should even out after the next shot, so I took a second one. After a few weeks my period started back up and has been going for about 3 weeks now. My sex drive is dead. I had taken Nuva Ring in the past and continued to have a regular, 5-6 day period. I also still had a normal sex drive. Depo-provera feels like a hormone overdose and it's awful. No pregnancy, but I don't want to have sex because I'm bleeding all the time

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2015 9:45 PM

Review by sierramar1314lynn:

I've been on it for 7 months now. The only bad thing is depending on your body type you'll gain a lot of weight. I gained 20 pounds,yet it definitely filled in my small body,I don't have a period any more but I always look and feel pregnant. But it very effective as a birth control. I highly recommend it and its easy to keep up with.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 11:18 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have only been on the shot for 4 weeks. few side effects, Slight mood change, and tingling/ numbness in fingers and feet. Doctor said it was normal, give it a try.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2015 1:58 PM

Review by User since 2010:

I have been on this shot for 5 years, almost 6 now. I had had no serious problems. I gained about 40 pounds and I am having trouble losing it, but that is it. When I first got on this I actually lost weight & was the smallest I'd ever been, but I decided to try to switch to the pill (hated it) & then got back on Depo, which is when the weight gain happened. I had major mood swings but am now on another medication to help control that. It definitely works and love not having a period! Just hate the weight gain. This is definitely a birth control I would recommend.

March 26, 2015 12:52 PM

Review by lol pollo:

This shot took me from 0-10 in seconds. My emotions were all over the place. I cried all the time was just going crazy from hormones. I then became severely anemic due to bleeding the entire time on the shot. So tired muscle cramps and out of breath. I took it due to the fact I was Breast feeding.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2015 9:10 AM

Review by jayohwhy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been on the shot for 2 years, I've experienced no weight gain or any of the other common side affects. I have not had a single period and only spotted one time. I started the shot when I was 16, and now that I am 18, I want to change methods because it is recommended to not be on the shot for over 2 years because it can lead to osteoporosis. I have tried other methods before, such as the patch and the ring. But the shot was my favorite of them all. If I didn't have to switch methods, I would definitely stay on the shot.

March 13, 2015 1:53 PM

Review by HighBloodPressure166 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 21 years old was placed on this medicine for having high blood pressure and it being an estrogen free birth control. I was terrified or weight gain, spotting, and mood swings, all of which this shot is rumored to do. I have experience absolutely no bleeding since my first shot, got the second shot today and no weight gain (I do exercise daily). I have been somewhat emotional around the time of my normal period, but no more then usual. Overall I love the shot and having no period is a plus all around!

March 11, 2015 1:46 PM

Review by baltimore. mamaj:

It is effective. However the weight gain of 30 lbs now I need to lose 60lbs. The headaches dizziness and tiredness. Feeling hungry constantly and occasional numbness in my hands and feet. I am thinking of trying Implanon but the reviews don't look so great. Would prefer getting my tubes tied as we have a nice size family. I have been on it 13 months since my youngest was born and I hate that I eat and feel pregnant even though I am not.

February 27, 2015 3:52 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I started the shot when I was 14 to regulate my periods and as I've read a lot of women say it made them worse, but for me the first few months made it worse for me I bleed for almost 2 months but after I got my second shot my periods stopped completely. It is also a great birth control, personally I gained only alittle weight (5-7 pounds) but I liked it because I'm considered smaller than average. My stomach gets bloated and my back hurts when I'm due for my next shot and I get a little moody but other than that it's been pretty good. My breasts and bum grew which is a plus. I recommend it for a birth control.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2015 8:23 PM

Review by No kids (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Depo for 16 years. It's effective! No kids! I started seeing side effects around year 6 which included a little facial hair. Around year 19 I gained about 25 pounds (I went from 120 to about 145) it's still so worth it. No periods and no cramps after year 1! I take calcium supplements and I lift heavy weights so along with getting bone density test-so far so good.

January 26, 2015 5:07 PM

Pros: Effective (Always was on time for my injection) No period No more PMS Cons: Cramping on and off throughout a year on Depo shot Gained 50 pounds within a year Raised blood pressure Nervousness and dizziness

January 19, 2015 8:19 PM

Review by Megan3212:

I got on the Depo-Provera shot at age 15 and just got off of it at age 20, and I am now on Seasonique (the pill). I didn't realize how awesome Depo was until I switched. Having no periods for 5 years was definitely great, I didn't gain any weight from the Depo even though it made me eat like I was pregnant with triplets for 5 years. There was minimal spotting which I would take over periods any day. I got moody when I started getting close to my next shot due date but that's about it. I would definitely recommend this birth control!

January 14, 2015 10:28 AM

Review by jezlynn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 28 yrs old, I have been on the Depo shot for 3 months now to regulate my periods, my first 2 months I didn't get my period at all, no side affects except a headache for the first week. Now into my 3rd month and I have had my period for going on 3 weeks straight and its really stressing me out, I have been irritable these past week, major mood swings and lost my sex drive. And no changes in my weight, but pretty sure I will not continue this method of birth control.

January 13, 2015 4:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It's very effective, I give it that. I didn't get pregnant. I've been on this birth control for 6 months and I've gained 40lbs. Yes.. 40!!! I ate healthy and exercised everyday. I DO NOT RECOMMEND if you want to keep you figure or plan to lose weight.

January 7, 2015 9:39 PM

Review by kaykaykaylakat (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effective and not disappointed. After the first 3 weeks on the shot I had heavy period for almost 20 days, but after that absolutely no period, no cramping, spotting, nothing! Some weight gain but I'm successfully burning that off. The only downside is the depression and anxiety, but those are occasional. They only happen within the first couple weeks of taking the shot and I just got my third dose. Love it but it's not for everybody!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 7:01 PM

Review by 12356:

I got my first Depo shot November 19th. Since then I only had minor spotting and cramps, no mood swings or major weight gain if anything my weight is far more stable and satisfactory. Although on the 2nd of January I began my normal period again and hoping it will end on the 6th. Definitely would recommend.

January 4, 2015 8:59 PM

Review by Violinent (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Everyone I talk to seems to have had different experiences with Depo. For me it has been a perfect experience, but my sister had a horrible time with it. I had very light spotting after the first shot during what should have been my monthly period, and since then have had absolutely no period or spotting. My weight has remained at a constant level the entire 4 years that I've been taking it, and I haven't experience moods swings, hair loss, or any of the other common symptoms. My doctor warned me that the shot could make my migraines worse, but I haven't noticed any difference in prevalence or severity. Everyone's body reacts differently, but it is definitely worth trying. I love this form of contraception - no periods and no babies!

January 2, 2015 12:14 PM

Review by Tia.123:

Depo as a birth control I guess it worked, everything else just went wrong! I only had one shot and dont think I will ever go back. Within two weeks of getting the injection I got really bad headache, depressed, abdominal cramps, flash bleeding vomiting , unstable gate , memory loss, my face broke out, lost a bunch of weight, optic nerve damage, I went into svt and the list goes on. My whole life turned upside down. So yes it may work for some people with no side effects but it has damaged my life

December 26, 2014 7:18 PM

Review by Lacey92:

I'm due for my second shot next week. I'm very torn about getting it. When I got the shot, I didn't have any side effects. (at first) Every month since the shot I bleed for about 3 weeks straight. It really bothers me. One of the main reasons I got on it was to try to help my periods. Just makes them worse!

December 21, 2014 6:50 PM

Review by lnzlue:

I got my shot in the middle of October and I don't like it. I'm not pregnant but that may be because my sex drive is completely nonexistent. I can't lose much weight even though I am breastfeeding and following Weight Watchers. I have random bleeding and my vagina is incredibly dry. Not renewing my shot next month.

December 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by Sharni:

I've just gotten the second shot today, and I must say I love it, haven't had my period had the tiniest bit of spotting I still get cramps when I'm due for my period but nothing else. I have also not gotten pregnant at all. Probably the best decision I ever made.

December 18, 2014 1:51 AM

Review by Ilovedepo:

I LOVE Depo! Been on it for about 2 1/2 years, only side effects are some weight gain (5-10 pounds) and minor cramping once a month maybe. I used to have TERRIBLE periods, ever since my first shot I haven't had a single period or spotting. It's nice only having to go in once every 3 months. Definitely 10/10!

December 14, 2014 10:03 PM