User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Review Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 208 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

"I was on this medication for 15 years and in this time I did not experience any side effects maybe a little weight gain but nothing drastic. I went from giving birth to the needle straight away and never had a period, spotting or anything. For me it worked but I know some who it didn't work for so my suggestion is try it, if its not for you then stop. what do you have to lose."

kjlta May 27, 2015

"I started the shot around Feb and went in to the clinic not knowing what I wanted. I decided on the shot there and then but then read more reviews after I got it that freaked me out - depression, loss of sex-drive, anxiety, etc. I'm pretty moody as it is so I was terrified of what I had put in my body. I did bleed and spot for about 3 weeks after which I think is totally normal because that has happened to me in starting any new birth control (pill & patch). Then I started to realize that my body was taking really well to it. I never noticed any major mood swings aside from the emotional being I already am (know yourself!). Got the second shot & still going good! I'm sure there are long-term effects though that could be considered."

Yeanabobeana May 27, 2015

"I've been on depo since I was 15 years old . . I am now 33 years old . . I first got on depo because I had really bad cyst on my ovaries and breast . . With depo it has controlled the pain and size of cyst . . I've gained maybe 5 pounds since I've been in this . . No bleeding no spotting what so ever !!! I do get lower cramping once in awhile but it is tolerable . . I also do not plan on having kiddos so this was the best choice for me :)"

Mznana (taken for 10 years or more) May 27, 2015

"Have had the shot three times now after switching from the pill to the depo due to cysts and this was supposed to help stop them. I've had no pregenancy scares but severe bleeding for four months now and black blood, weight gain like crazy and breast pain everyday, it works well for birth control but the side effects are not worth it"

Allynicols May 25, 2015

"I'm just finishing up my first month on the shot and I can honestly say that it's working well. This is my first birth control I've had, and there have only been a couple of side effects. I spotted for about 5 days twice within the first 3 months which isn't bad. But I also experienced some vaginal dryness that required additional foreplay as well as lube at times. Overall I think it's fine considering I don't have to remember it and the spotting I heard gets better over time. I'm due for my next shot in a couple of weeks after which I'll offer another review. So this isn't a bad choice, but with any birth control there are side effects."

TerriBr May 17, 2015

"I started the depo shot in December didn't Bleed that whole month, January until now we're in May I have not stopped bleeding! So I've been bleeding for six months straight about. And its so heavy, its ruining everything. I'm def getting off the shot and switching."

unknown6 May 15, 2015

"I decided to get the shot a month ago. So far I have not had a period at all...which is almost scary but who wants their period anyway? No weight gain as of yet and no hair loss. I almost backed out of getting the shot once I heard a few horror stories. The only thing I have noticed is a little moodiness, which happens to me on the pill too, so nothing new. Not sure about getting the second shot yet...we will see how the next couple months go and if any other symptoms take place, but so far, it has been great :)"

nmiller15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2015

"I was on this for 5 months and had none stop bleeding. I also experienced severe hair loss, weakness and fatigue (probably due to blood loss), as well as terrible mood swings. The one positive thing was that I had no pregnancy scares in the 5 months I was on it. Was not the birth control for me."

Twiggles (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2015

"I was on the depo shot when I was 18 and had 3 shots and BOY DID I BLEED. the best part was the fact that I never had any cramps but I bled for over 2 years straight and didn't have a regular cycle intill reaching the 3rd year."

abs14 May 8, 2015

"Honestly everyone's bodies work differently and I've heard horror stories about every type of birth control but this one has been really excellent for me. I've been on the depo shot for 5 years now (planning on switching soon). The shot does sting a bit so be sure it's injected into your hip instead of arm. First month I spotted nonstop, but I haven't had a single period since. No pregnancy scares. Very gradual weight gain for me, 25 lbs over the past five years. Cleared up my acne, have plenty of libido. I give it 10/10."

SaraBug May 7, 2015

"I have actually just had my 5th shot and it's been great for me. Bled on cerazette like crazy so switched to depo injection. My only complaint is that in the 2nd shot I got really bad boob pain and a bit of weight gain. Never had a scare good birth control and also it's every 3 months so no problem!"

Nixi (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2015

"This is the best birth control I have been on so far! I used to be on the pill and it made my periods irregular, made me gain a crazy amount of weight, made my acne worsen, made me super emotional all the time, and many other bad side effects. I was off birth control for a couple of months and was back to my normal self and actually lost about 50 pounds. My doctor thought I should take birth control again and recommended that I switch to this, so I took a chance. I had one period after I got my first shot (about 8 months ago) and haven't had one since. The only bad side effect that I have had with this shot is I gained a little bit of my weight back."

knsasgrl33 May 5, 2015

"I am 18 and have been on Depo since I was 15 due to severe menstrual bleeding. When I first got the shot I noticed my bleeding kept lightening up until my second shot and it stopped all together. I eat like a pig, but that's not really a big deal for me. During the first 4-5 months I lost 40 pounds, and slightly over a year later I've gained 20 back. I know a lot of girls fidget and carry on over the weight issue, but if you exercise daily and eat appropriately, it won't turn into a big deal. I definitely recommend this to my friends who either have bleeding issues or just don't want to get pregnant. Works PERFECTLY in both cases; at least for me!"

Arisa.01 May 4, 2015

"So yes it's effective, BUT NEVER GET THIS SHOT. I had it 3 times (9 months) worst nine months of my life. Constant spotting and bleeding, never was able to go on the boat because I didn't have enough bleeding for a tampon but would bleed threw a bathing suit, felt very uncomfortable and always had to think about if I was bleeding, never wore white bottoms or pants. It was THE WORST experience of my life. If you see this DONT TAKE THE SHOT."

Bails887 May 3, 2015

"I have been on the depo shot since October 2014. After my first shot I bled for 2 months straight. I consulted with my doctor and she said it was normal. I got my second shot and I bled 6 weeks straight. Within the 2 shots I started noticing acne, headaches all the time, and lots of anxiety/fatigue/dizziness and I find myself being hungry all the time. I told myself that I would not get a 3rd shot. I have severe cramps and I have not bled since the 6 weeks after I got my 2nd shot so I was happy about not having a period. I decided to go ahead and get the 3rd shot. I have not had any bleeding but the acne and headaches, anxiousness, dizziness, and fatigue are all still happening. I don't like what the shot is doing to my body therefore I"

Scorpio14 May 2, 2015

"I started the depo a little over 2 years ago but took my last shot in August. Since then I have had normal periods but some times have heavy periods in between my periods so I'm almost bleeding a month and a half . I have had horrible mood swings, & horrible cramps. It was great while I was on it, I even lost 50lbs while on it.. But this sucks."

bleeann (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 1, 2015

"The depo shot is extremely effective, however I had the horrible experience of mood changes. I became an absolute terror and began becoming depressed after just one shot! I am switching back over to the pill!"

Kayla s April 30, 2015

"I have been on this shot since I was 16, I am now 22... Soo 6 years. I have gained about 20 pounds!!! That is my HUGE complaint about it! It works great! I have never even had a pregnancy scare. My sex drive is very healthy, my mood swings aren't wild, I do not have a period/spotting or anything. When I first received my first shot I bled for three months straight not heavy but had a period then never again after that! You have to make sure you're taking a calcium pill everyday! This shot will be my last, since I am wanting to have a child sometime in the next year or two. I was told by my doctor getting pregnant after being on depo will be a challenge.. So overall I gave it a 4 rating because it is effective but the weight gain is horrible"

SBROWN22 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 28, 2015

"I really like the shot. I have had no weight gain or any other side effects. I did bleed very lightly for two weeks (my periods normally last 4 or 5 days) after the first month on it, but I haven't had any periods since then. Occasionally I will get brown discharge or very light spotting, but it is such a small amount that I don't even notice. I can't take most birth control because I can't have estrogen, but I am very happy with the shot."

deannerz (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

"I've been on the shot for a while. Started it after a miscarriage with D&C procedure . I haven't had a period, no weight gain like people are scared of, and no bad side effects. I'm pleased. The pills and patch caused nothing but problems !"

autumnearley April 26, 2015

"I was given a depo provera shot after an essure procedure. I had never taken it before. I had non stop bleeding for 3 months until my doctor gave me another birth control to take on top of it. The bleeding stopped for a couple weeks but came back and has not stopped for a month and a half. Definite weight gain. This drug should only be used to treat specific conditions and not be used as a general birth control."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2015

"Depo-Provera is the best birth control I have ever experienced. I have had NONE of the said side effects. No weight gain, no bleeding whatsoever, and no uncomfortable side effects. It is easy to remember, only having to go in every 3 months. I highly recommend this form of birth control. Great experience."

SierrraRose (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2015

"I've been on the Depo-Provera shot for over 8 months now, I received my first shortly after I had my son, I was breastfeeding so this was my only option. The only pros for me are its convenient, I'm a nurse and I just pick it up from pharmacy and inject myself or a friend from work does it for me then I'm good for three months, no remembering to take a pill. Cons have been constant bleeding on and off, longest being over 3 weeks straight. I have gained back all the weight that I did lose from having my baby and am now stuck at the same weight I was at 9 months pregnant, it's awful and embarrassing, I am constantly hungry like constantly and I crave sweets and chocolate more than anything. I also am sweating like crazy all the time."

Nicolee April 14, 2015

"Taking the shot was a mistake. My period started at the usual time-then didn't stop for just under 3 months. Doctor said it was normal and should even out after the next shot, so I took a second one. After a few weeks my period started back up and has been going for about 3 weeks now. My sex drive is dead. I had taken Nuva Ring in the past and continued to have a regular, 5-6 day period. I also still had a normal sex drive. Depo-provera feels like a hormone overdose and it's awful. No pregnancy, but I don't want to have sex because I'm bleeding all the time"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2015

"I've been on it for 7 months now. The only bad thing is depending on your body type you'll gain a lot of weight. I gained 20 pounds,yet it definitely filled in my small body,I don't have a period any more but I always look and feel pregnant. But it very effective as a birth control. I highly recommend it and its easy to keep up with."

sierramar1314lynn April 9, 2015