User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Birth Control

Review by rikita (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I took this shot about 2 months ago and was excited for it. I had read many good things about it and I am quite a forgetful person so a shot once every three months was great. Little did I know though that it would not be great for me. I had my period for 17 days. It finally went away but now I have my period again, hoping it won't last 17 days again... Just like a previous reviewer stated as well, I was super energetic and lively and this shot has made me quite withdrawn and quiet. I really hate that. I also feel myself becoming a little more emotional over small matters that I would laugh at before. This wasn't the birth control for me.

March 21, 2014 2:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've never had acne and I cannot seem to get rid of it. I'm sure it's because of the Depo Provera as it started shortly after my first injection. I am in my 30's and an active runner. My hips and knees seem to be much more sore after runs after I started the Depo. I also have osteoporosis in my family and that is not helping my bone density situation. On the positive side, it's easy to take, stops my periods and I lost weight on it. All that being said, this will be my last cycle as the convenience is not worth brittle bones or a face full of acne.

March 20, 2014 5:42 PM
Review by ash456124: User Rating:

I was on the shot for a little over 3 years I gained a total of 5 pounds being on the shot. I got off the shot because it was ruining my teeth! It had been awhile since I went to the dentist but when I went I was told I had 17 cavities. I was shocked! I bush my teeth everyday, I may not floss like I should, but 17? That's not the worst part thought after they fixed all my teeth I go back a month later for a cleaning to find out I had gotten 7 more cavities. How does this happen within a months time? I finally realized it was the Depo-Provera after actually reading the paper the doctor gives you every time you get the shot.

March 3, 2014 6:36 PM
Review by ZoeyM (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I've been on the Depo shot for 6 Months. I had 3 shots so Far%u2026 the first shot was great Ive had no periods at all when I got my second shot. About 4 weeks after I started bleeding almost everyday but once I got my third shot it had stopped, I am not having any problems so far. But I Am constantly losing weight like when I started the shot I was 129lbs, I am now 114lbs how is this happening? I eat all the time.

February 24, 2014 9:34 AM
Review by P.angel92: User Rating:

I have been on Depo for about a year now! I got it in April in 2013 and now it's February 2014. I kept bleeding since I got it till about October. So I had about 2 shots by then. When got my 3rd shot, I stopped bleeding. I haven't got a period since then. I weighed about 105lbs now I weigh 130lbs, I gained so much weight.

February 18, 2014 6:26 PM
Review by PatrinaMB: User Rating:

I started using Depo-Provera middle of January 2014 it has been a month and I haven't had a period. I have severe breast ache on my left breast and sometimes I may get cramps. I sleep all the time and I am always tired and on edge. I have control on the way I feel and I am grateful for the injection as I forget to take my pills.

February 17, 2014 10:22 PM
Review by SiWi (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

It was great at first. No periods and no hassle of taking a pill. However, I was so tired all the time that I would sleep 12 hours and want to go right back to sleep. It also made me very depressed and moody, almost manic at times. Not to mention, it made my breasts smaller.

February 9, 2014 5:22 PM
Review by Amberleaotto: User Rating:

Being a newlywed, I was looking for a birth control I could trust, I originally was on the pill, but I have cyclical vomiting syndrome, I'll basically have cycles where I vomit uncontrollably, so during a 3 week cycle, I realized the pill would not be a good fit for me. So I switched to the shot, the second month I was on my period for a full 30 days, which I was told was normal, after that I haven't had a period at all, I have had no side effects, no weight gain, and most importantly no pregnancy scares.

January 28, 2014 12:17 PM
Review by nechelle34: User Rating:

I am 4 wks into shot and feel horrible! My sex drive is gone, side pains, cramps, headaches, and so tired all the time. My mood swings make me feel like I am crazy! Oh and now I have this metallic taste in my mouth. I just want to sleep all day because of the constant cramping..I feel horrible. My face is changing too! I am black and my face looks so dry and discolored.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 28, 2014 10:37 AM
Review by Britany a: User Rating:

I have been on this birth control since I was 16, I am now 21. I was not sexually active til 17. I didn't really have any interest in sex until I was 19, referring to sex drive. Depo was the best decision I ever made the first 3 years, then my body starting having random cramps from time to time. I could be walking and I would have to stop for 2 minutes. I wouldn't move. I would have discharge. I had 2 day periods for 2 years every 3 months right before my next shot .. Now I'll spot for a couple weeks. I started at 112 now I'm 121 . I never had a problem with gaining weight. I'm still not pregnant. So I'll stay on this because the pros outweigh the cons.

January 6, 2014 1:55 AM
Review by Samanthalsxox: User Rating:

I have been on DEPROVERA shot for about a year and a half. It works of course. But I have recently decided to quit with the shots because of the horrible side effects. I have headaches every single day. I just want to sleep and that's all I want to do. Im a very active person so that was easy to notice. Also, I get horrible shooting pains that is in my lower stomach and back.

January 3, 2014 9:20 PM
Review by 123987: User Rating:

I have just recently got my second shot a few weeks ago, and since I received my first shot I haven't had any periods or abnormal bleeding or spotting. I don't even get any side effects. It has helped so much since, I used to get severe painful cramps and lay in bed for the week when I had my periods. It makes me have a lot less things to worry about like chance of pregnancy, periods, cramps, and a lot more things my body was emotionally drained from.

December 10, 2013 9:33 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have been on the Depo shot for about 8 years now. I love it. No periods or spotting. Cramps sometimes but nothing outrageous. I think its a very good birth control.

November 29, 2013 7:34 PM
Review by Gloryxoxo (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I'm 17 years old, I was on the pill at first but I got off because I was ALWAYS moody! So I got on Depo so far it's been okay, but since I've been on it my face has started peeling. I'm always putting lotion on my face.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 16, 2013 5:53 PM
Review by Fifidp: User Rating:

I have been on Depo Provera since I was 18, so about five years. I have had no issues with it. I have not had a period in years (before I had terribly heavy periods), I did not experience any weight gain, do not have trouble staying fit, and do not experience any mood/personality swings. I just don't like that it's likely weakening my bones, but I try to stay on top of that with calcium/D supplements. However, I do wonder if it's had a negative effect on my sex drive, but that's inconsistent and I have nothing to compare it to since I got my shot as soon as I became sexually active, so it's hard to say.

November 15, 2013 11:45 PM
Review by This is Comment 1 of 2: User Rating:

Comment 2: As mentioned in my previous comment, I personally have had no issued with the Depo shot and would have loved to continue on this form of BC. The reason I am stopping is because my older sister tried the shot about 5 years ago while I was away at school. I never knew this about her experience, and our doctor says this side affect has never happened before, but it was like the others where she experienced CONSTANT HEAVY bleeding for months straight, but it wasn't like a period blood; she was bleeding internally. It made her blood cell count change so drastically they thought she had cancer. She was hospitalized for about a month. I will not be continuing the Depo Shot because she has begged me not too.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 13, 2013 2:26 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have been on the depo shot for almost 10 months now and it hasn't been too bad. The only problems I've had is severe mood swings, nausea, and headaches daily. I'm a sick person anyways so I'm not sure if I've gotten other side effects but I do know those are from the depo. My periods are now pretty much gone. My second shot I had a period for about 2 months but it wasn't heavy. I plan on getting off of it though after this shot wears off because I have been reading a lot of bad things about the shot. Severe mood swings, depression, anxiety, hair loss, osteoporosis, infertility, etc. I eventually want to get pregnant but you can lose all options if you continue the shot for an extended period of time and I don't want that to happen.

November 12, 2013 8:26 PM
Review by Lplunkn: User Rating:

I've been on the Depo for about 9 months now and am happy to say I will not be getting another shot. I received my first shot 2 days after giving birth. I have not had a period (besides the constant bleeding for 6 weeks after delivering) but do get get brown discharge instead which doesn't bother me. The only thing I HATED was the weight gain. I gained about 3-5 lbs after every shot. And it's been VERY hard to get rid of. I also have no sex drive. But besides that I haven't expierenced any other side effects.

November 10, 2013 9:19 PM
Review by LHY30 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

The worst thing I have ever done!! Thought I'd be smart and have the depo so I never had to remember taking my Cilest pill, never ever ever again! Since I had it I have had big sore spots on my face chest neck and back one goes another takes its place! They are so so sore and hard most of the time nothing actually in them!! I HAD beautiful thick hair I now have thin hair, my hair has fallen out in clumps its also dry and very knotty no matter how much I brush it or how much conditioner I use (half a bottle at times!) Only had the one injection was due to have another in August but didn't! Desperately trying to get pregnant now and finding it very difficult having period pains but no periods not ovulating! Only had 1 3 week-long period in 3 months!!

November 7, 2013 4:25 PM
Review by SoMo: User Rating:

I've been on the Depo shot for about 9 months. I decided along with my doctor to get the Shot because i have what is called bacterial vaginosis, cysts on my ovaries and also constant yeast infections. It has seemed to help with all of the above reasons of why I initially started the shot. On the shot i have experienced horrific migraines, nausea, extreme mood swing, severe depression and high levels of anxiety. I also spot monthly and for the first two months i bled heavily. I am actually going back to the doctor to switch to either a different birth control or to completely get off of BC. I hope this helps ya'll!

November 5, 2013 8:05 PM
Review by Hate_It (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I got my first shot the beginning of September after having a miscarriage of an unplanned pregnancy! Got the shot and thought I would be fully protected, WRONG!!! Low and behold, I am pregnant once again! I think the 99% rate is a bunch of bull because there are more and more people getting pregnant on this almost "flawless" birth control

November 3, 2013 6:47 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I started the birth control shot in 2013 the day before my 20th birthday. To say the least, it was a terrible decision. The shot was great in some ways. I did not have a period the entire time I was on the shot (3 months) and through my 1st month on the pill after. My periods were always irregular though. It was also nice to be free from worry about contraception. The bad overwhelmed the good though. The first week that I was on the shot I had bad headaches. Not migraines, but they were painful. I spotted lightly halfway through the 1st month and continued for 2 weeks. At 3 weeks, I became horrifyingly depressed. I wouldn't have survived if I hadn't known that it would likely be better once I stopped the shot.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 1, 2013 3:12 AM
Review by Coribeth (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have been on depo for over a year now. My positives would be no period, easy and that's about it. However I will no longer be receiving this birth control. Did you know that this same drug is used as a "chemical castration" for male sex offenders. They give it to them to drastically decrease their sex drive. Makes you wonder what it does to women. For me it has done just that. I started receiving the shot right before my husband and I got married and I didn't even want to have sex on our honeymoon . It has seriously affected our relationship and that is why I do not want to continue the shot.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 31, 2013 8:18 PM
Review by rissa88:

I was on depo for 7 years straight and once I got on it I didn't have a period at all. Than once I stopped I got my period but ever since I got off of it my lower abdomen lower back and left side have been in the worst pain. It won't go away. And Ive had a normal period for the last 4 to 5 months but now I'm 5 days late and am in the worst pain. I don't know if I could be pregnant or if the depo caused me to get endometriosis. Anyone else having this experience? I don't know what to do.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 24, 2013 12:41 AM
Review by Depo nightmare: User Rating:

I have been on the depo shot since I was 15! (11 years now) I love the shot I have never had an issue, after my first couple weeks on it I never got a period again unless I missed a shot and had to wait for a period to get it again. I swear by it one of the greatest thing you don't forget to take it daily no cramps no period nothing up your private area. Until this past year, issues I have been having all added up and led to this shot. I'm 26 years old and have osteoporosis that of an 80 year old, the smaller of my breast became 2 sizes larger, my migraines increased to weekly with vision loss, itchy sore breasts, random stomach pains and nausea. Also I have not changed my eating habits or daily routine I have out on 25lbs in the past 6mon.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate