User Reviews for Magnesium citrate

Also known as: Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma, LiquiPrep

Learn more about Magnesium citrate.

Constipation 45 reviews 236 medications

9.2
Summary of Magnesium citrate reviews 45 reviews 9.2

Reviews for Magnesium citrate

Review by Matt Hatter (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: I took Magesum Citrate (about 7 oz) before I went to bed and woke up ready to release. This is very effective, though it can take a while, and personally, it was pretty hard to down the bottle. The taste isn't bad, I actually kind of liked it, but it was very sweet and stayed in my mouth, not anything too dis comforting however. Overall, this works like a charm, but it can be hard to swallow and works slower than other medica tions for constipation.

January 13, 2015 10:14 AM

Review by troubled_gut (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: I took this at 9.30 and by 12.30 I woke up and it was time to go! I had been constipated for 8 days and I'm ten weeks pregnant. Dr said it was safe so....but man oh man...be careful because it turns your stool to nothing but liquid.

January 3, 2015 11:34 PM

Review by Anonymous1452:

For Constipation: Very helpful solution. Been backed up for over a week since my wisdom teeth surgery. Couldn't sleep, stressed out, and eventually got angry when nothing such as laxatives would work. Father bought a bottle of the citrus flavor from Freds. Didn't taste too bad actually, and noticed effects after 2 hours. Nothing uncomfortable, just relieved knowing that I'll be better by in the morning.

December 30, 2014 11:59 PM

Review by Bradydr:

For Constipation: I've taken magnesium citrate before and last time it worked in about 40 minutes..this time I took it and its almost been 9 hours and nothing. I am getting real frustrated now **update- about a half an hour after posting I drank some coffee hoping it would make me poop, about thirty minutes after drinking coffee it finally came, about 9 hours after drinking 10oz magnesium citrate. 10:00pm- 7:00am

December 18, 2014 7:34 AM

Review by Betoosmart38 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: I have been constipated for 6 days. It seemed there was no relief in site for me. I took stool softener/laxative for a few days without any results. I then bought Exlax and took 4 pieces at one time. No result. I went to the ER as my stomach was hurting all up the sides and middle. The Dr. recommended Magnesium Citrate and told me to drink the entire bottle. I went to Family Dollar and it only was $1.25. I ate a sandwich prior to drinking.I drank the grape flavored Magnesium Citrate at 8:00 PM with 16 ounces of water. After a few hours, I was still in a lot of pain didn't feel anything happening. I couldn't even pass gas. at 1:30 AM It started. It is now almost 3:00 and I am still going. not sure how long this will last but I feel great!!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2014 2:55 AM

Review by Joey B. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: Was constipated for 5 days after taking prescribed narcotics for bruised ribs. Doctor recommended it. Didn't taste half bad and drank a glass of water after. Didn't feel anything for about 5 hours, then my stomach felt gassy and then boom. So much relief and I didn't have to push to hard (since my ribs are bruised).

November 15, 2014 12:19 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For : I bought this pouduct as a "cleansing". I drank the complete bottle (10oz) and an hour later I felt nauseous and bloated. It wasn't until a total of 7hrs after drinking this, my relief came. I feel lighter and a whole lot better. The results outweigh the burned out bum.

November 2, 2014 6:08 AM

Review by L.H. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: After having wisdom teeth removed, I have only been eating jello for past five days. Felt as if I had to go #2 yesterday, but it would not come out. Thought I was simply constipated, so I went out and bought laxatives, and I took two right before going to sleep. This morning, I woke up with stomach pains worse than yesterday. Tried to go the bathroom, and laxatives did not work: it would not come out. I was in tears from pain, and begged my Father to grab something to MAKE me go while he was out grocery shopping. He came home, said "Take this", and so I did. After only 45 minutes, I went. You will cramp up badly and feel rumbly-it WILL hurt-but as everyone else said, the relief is worth it-Drink plenty of water too! 10/10 for M. Citrate!

October 25, 2014 12:54 PM

Review by Finally Relieved . . . (taken for less than 1 month):

Citrate of Magnesia (magnesium citrate) for Constipation: I highly recommend this product. I have been constipated for several weeks now and my doctor recommended 2 days before colonoscopy (in addition to prescription prep). I chose grape flavored CVS brand. I refrigerated night before and took at 6:45pm next evening. It is very sour but carbonated so it was doable. A family member suggested that I eat at same time to cut down on nausea which really helped. At first I felt like my stomach was going to explode because I drank the 10 oz bottle followed by 16 oz of water. Then there was a lot of stomach bubbling. I finally was comfortable enough to lie down and eventually fell off to sleep to be then awakened by this urge to pass gas at 12:40am. Don't do it!!! Find a toilet fast! It works!

October 23, 2014 7:52 AM

For Constipation: Took it about an hour ago so far I'm just super gassy. I feel my insides moving... But then when I think this is it.. It's just gas.

September 23, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by A First-Timer:

For Constipation: So Friday I had noticed that I was a bit stopped up, and I had the same kind of pain you have when you know you just gotta go (poop). I had never been constipated before, but I sort of gave myself a self-diagnosis, and decided that constipation was indeed my problem. The following Tuesday after nonstop aches and pains in my stomach I decided to go to CVS and buy a stool softener. That didn't really work very well on me, as a stool softener only works on the stool that has yet to be produced(it doesn't help with the current blockage). Finally, I decided to go to the doctor, where I was prescribed Magnesium Citrate. This stuff works miracles! It tastes very sour, but kind of like sprite, and I took it at 3 and evacuated my bowels at 7.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 6:55 PM

Review by HJA2014:

For Constipation: Only thing that worked!

September 7, 2014 9:59 PM

Review by earthenvessel02:

For Constipation: Backed up a couple weeks, the Miralax wasn't cutting it. Dr. instructed probiotic daily and this to get it moving again. Said it was kind-of like 7-up. To me, it was more super-sour-citrus Italian soda, and wasn't so bad. When I've been constipated for shorter periods it'll often come out large, which my home toilet can't handle.

August 24, 2014 9:59 PM

Review by Rach's Adventures (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: So, unlike my hubby, who got the stereotypical "runs" in Mexico, I got the opposite - 10 days of no poo in Puerto Vallarta. I tried EVERYTHING towards at the end of our 2nd week "dream" vacation. Anyway tried drinking too much alcohol, took stool softeners, stimulant laxatives, suppositories... until one day we where downtown & I have to say that I'm in pretty darn good shape, but I looked like death and was covered in sweat. An old pharmacist saw me & insisted we come into his Farmacia - my husband explained what was wrong, THEY BOTH LAUGHED, he came back with a bottle that looked like Target's brand & I thought it was good - tasted like sour patch soda. In 1 hour I DESTROYED one of our resort's toilets. Thank you old pharmacist I love you!

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2014 10:31 PM

Review by Megan Grayson (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: This past week has been horrible. Monday through to Wednesday I was recovering from food poison, and Tuesday- Saturday I was extremely constipated. I spent early Saturday morning 2:30am-5:00am tossing and turning in pain. I realized it had almost been a week since I had a bowel movement. I got up, googled some home remedies, (olive oil, baking soda, prunes etc..) so I tried olive oil. Nasty. Baking soda? Hec no. Prunes? Its 3am. No. So finally I came across magnesium citrate. I got dressed, drove to my local CVS and chose the grape flavor. Got home, forced down the bottle, drank some water and 2 hours later nothing. Waited another 1.5 hours and BAMMM. Like a water hose. So relieved. Cramps and feeling sick so worth it. At last. feel 100x better

August 9, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by sore in Nebraska (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: So I've never been backed up in my life until here recently. The other night after eating I got this horrible pain in my stomach and had realized some recent bloating. I work in a nursing home and the last thing I want is to become dependent on laxatives.. so I tried a natural laxative consisting of bran flakes applesauce and prune juice. It produced some bowel movements. However I was still not comfortable with being blocked, so naturally I think of magnesium citrate... I had heard how well this product worked and figured I'd give it a shot. I drank it around 4:30-5:00 pm and by 7:30 I was in the restroom. This stuff is amazing and works fast and well. The results will outweigh the burn. Good luck.

July 15, 2014 10:57 PM

Review by shuby (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: I was constipated for a couple of days so I went to Walgreen and bought magnesiuim citrate. When I tell you this stuff is awesome people I mean it. About an hour later I was home free through out the time I felt stomach cramps and felt a little sick but it was worth it.

July 12, 2014 2:30 AM

Review by Needed a good clean out:

For : I found out about this when my mom was having surgery and needed to be cleaned out.. Other laxative did not work but this is AMAZING my best advice is to plan to stay at home and close to the toilet because it gives you the runs. It may not kick in right away I'd say give it 20-30 minutes if not less you will feel a bubbly feeling in your stomach that means it's cleaning your walls and any other back up

July 10, 2014 11:27 AM

Review by Trazzler (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: Firstly, I had never experience constipation and my issue wasn't Going, it was that whenever I tried to go it hurt so bad! Be careful and don't Over do it with pushing, there can be damage and bleeding. I had been constipated for one day and After reading about all the things to help I decided to go with magnesium citrate. OMG! It didn't work right away- I took the whole bottle and went to sleep. This morning I woke up and didn't think it worked but as soon as I tried to push again.. GAME OVER! It did burn but who cares? Your FREE!! My advice... Get enough toilet paper...thank God for Magnesium citrate.

July 2, 2014 9:41 AM

Review by craftyunicorn (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: First of all I would like to say. The taste is SOUR! It is like drinking sour patch kids that are liquefied. Pucker up baby and drink! I think that was the worst part. I read reviews that said to refrigerate it over night. I did. Honestly I think the coldness made it harder to drink. I let it sit out for awhile and drink the other half at room temperature and it was so much easier. It made me cramp up a lot to start off with and somewhat nauseous. I went to my doctor yesterday, blocked up for a week. Every week only going once a week but in pain so he told me to try this out as well as a blood test and x ray. It made me really feel more pressure to go but first when I started to push. Time went by and made great bowl movements.

June 13, 2014 1:07 PM

Review by Relief McRelieferton (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: I'm NEVER constipated so this experience was quite disturbing for me. It took me almost two weeks to realize that my stomach pain was due to constipation. And even then I was afraid to use a laxative as I've never had to use one ever in my life. I tried a Fleet enema 1st with very minimal results. Then two days later I couldn't take it anymore. (Every time I ate my stomach began to hurt either immediately or a short time after) so my mother told me to try magnesium citrate. I was scared to try it because a few people complained of throwing up after drinking it. Didn't want to add to the issues so I went ahead and got the cherry flavor. Couldn't drink it all but got about 8 of the 10 ounces down. "Clear skys" now! (no throw up).

June 7, 2014 8:48 AM

Review by JS murhp:

For Constipation: I "had" been backed up for 5 days. I went to CVS about 3 hours ago or so and picked up a ten ounce bottle....all I can say is that it is working.. it is slightly painful though...but totally worth it if you are constipated.

June 3, 2014 10:53 PM

Review by BJP1111:

For Constipation: I've been irregular for years now, constipated off and on all of the time. It's been a few days since I had a bowel motion. Took the cherry magnesium citrate at 6:45pm tasted like cherry vinegar. I was instructed to drink lots of water after drinking the magnesium and by 7:35 I was not feeling good. I thought I was going to throw up for sure so I went to the bathroom and had a bowel movement. Once the "blockage" was released it just kept coming and then sure enough I threw up too! Single worst experience throwing up in my entire life, the magnesium really burned, but at least I'm not constipated anymore.

May 20, 2014 11:08 PM

Review by Kimmy 5:

For Constipation: I have been constipated for 2 weeks from morphine and surgery. I have taken all over counter laxatives in this last week, got me a few bottles of magnesium citrate still nothing. I feel very nauseated tired and just yucky. Very frustrated, my doctor has been trying to help with no success yet.

April 23, 2014 12:32 PM

Review by Lexie2006:

For Constipation: I have dealt with constipation off and on for years and finally this year I had a bout of constipation that lasted 2 weeks I had been eating peanuts, bran cereal, apple juice and finally went back to the ER and they prescribed me magnesium citrate and I'm an hour in and its not doing anything, tastes sour and I'm not hurting I think its gonna work.

March 6, 2014 12:33 PM