User Reviews for Magnesium citrate

Also known as: Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma, LiquiPrep

Learn more about Magnesium citrate.

Magnesium citrate Rating Summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 219 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Magnesium citrate to treat Constipation

"I have had approximately 14 feet of my small bowel removed along with half of my descending colon. I also have IBS but instead of having short bowel syndrome, I stay constipated. I can't strain, I've had all muscle removed from my abdomen. I feel like I can never finish my bowel movements and at times I'll not go for a week. I don't think it tastes bad at all. I got the lemon lime for $1 , grabbed a can of sprite and proceeded. I didn't drink but a quarter of the bottle and chased it with the sprite. Within about three hours I finally had some relief!! I'm just going to continue using it twice a week or so. And actually the kind I bought, tasted like sprite, carbonated. It worked better than liquid suppositories!!"

Kari Michelle January 17, 2016

"I have a history of constipation. A permanent injury years ago forces me to have to take high doses of pain medication, plus I have an implanted pain pump. I've also had double hernia surgery, and have IBS, so sometimes pooping can be a big problem. I started taking Magnesium Citrate softgels a few months ago and they really seem to help a lot. Prior to taking them I was having to take pericolace tablets, ducolax, as well as, use a glycerin suppository, and still had issues going but now as long as I take the MC softgels daily, and drink adequate water all goes according to plan. I have in the past had colon preps and had to drink the MC liquid and YUCK LOL so the soft gel, or capsules are the way to go for me."

All Boundup (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

"I've been feeling blocked up not getting everything out for two weeks, and for the last two days nothing but liquid is coming out, so I'm assuming fecal impaction. Since I was still passing gas, I figured it would be okay to try out a laxative instead of just popping stool softeners with water. I took half of the bottle at 8:30am, then figured if it's worth doing it's worth doing right so I drank the other half at 9:00. It's 5:00 in the afternoon, and still nothing. I figure I'll take some more softeners tonight, and head out to the pharmacy for tomorrow's preparations. If I can't get it out between another bottle, glycerine suppositories, an enema, some vaseline, and a pair of XL latex gloves, then I think I'll have to go to the doc."

Guy Person January 4, 2016

"I recently had a colonoscopy procedure, and afterwards, I didn't have a bowel movement for 4 days. I tried taking Miralax, and glycerine suppositories, and drinking 100 oz of water a day, but nothing worked! I went to the doctor and was told that my colon was now moving "sluggishly" and to get some magnesium citrate. I took it yesterday morning at 8am with a huge glass of water, followed by Gatorade, and by 12:30pm I was on the toilet going like a champ! I even cheered because I was that happy! But even extreme happiness has a down side! At 9:30pm last night, I was still going to the bathroom! Needless to say that, with my very sore bottom, I was no longer in a cheering mood. And today I am EXTREMELY gassy and bloated! But not constipated!"

Tara205 December 30, 2015

"When I get constipation, I also have trouble with urine. Extremely uncomfortable. But something directed me to discover mc. I only know senokot max, but it didn't help. mc took me 2 hr 10 min to get relieved. Once constipation is gone, so is my urine problem.."

rn324 (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2015

"As I was reading reviews wondering when this kicks in, it happened. Took 10oz in the afternoon and again in evening for colonoscopy prep, didn't drink enough water, and only made 1 movement. Thought "30 min to 6 hours til it works? Did I do it wrong? It's been almost 12." Yes, I did. I didn't drink enough water afterwards. Drink lots of water! I woke up at 2am and didn't trust a fart. Tummy gurgling, sitting down, browsing the net, and boom. You'll pee out your butt with this, no joke. Give it time and it'll take anywhere from 30 mins to 6 hours to kick in, possibly 12 if you're me and didn't drink water after. Got it for 97 cents in cherry, grape, and lemon flavor. They all taste like super sour candy and it helps to take with Gatorade."

ColonPrep (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

"I've had a sluggish bowel due to medication, I tried all sorts of laxatives, even enemas, with no results. This is the best stuff to clean you out. I have to take the whole bottle for it to work, I've tried just half the bottle, no success with that. But, with 1 bottle and about 8 hours, this does the trick. I use it about once a month."

Nicnac1020 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2015

"I had been constipated for about a week and nothing was working. Dulcolax, enemas, prune juice... You name it I tried it. Finally broke down and did some research and sent my husband to get a bottle of this stuff. He bought lemon or something and it tasted like hell. I chugged some pedialite afterward to get the taste out if my mouth. Within an hour I was in the bathroom and it was working - violently. Every 15 to 30 minutes I would go again. This has been going on for about three hours and I'm exhausted. If you can, do it during the day and make sure you have baby wipes, very soft toilet paper, and even witch hazel pads on hand. My only problem is I don't know how long this is going to go on for, although the trips to the bathroom are spreading out."

HadToGo December 10, 2015

"I have had chronic constipation since I was a kid that only got worse with age. I'm 29 now, I poop about once a week on my 'regular' days...and after a glass of Metamucil, 4 Fleet suppositories, 2 glasses of prune juice and enough grapes to make you sick. We called up a nurse friend who said, "This WILL work." My biggest issue seems to be that I suffer from dehydration, all the time... so drinking one glass of water before taking this wasn't enough to start my engines... so after some nausea, hours of anxiety 3 glasses of water, 7 1/2 hours later I was able to get some movement. There was 2 poops with the usual grating struggle, then by the 3rd round, it was like I poured a pint out of my butt. In one hour I pooped/poured 10 times!"

TwilightRabbit November 21, 2015

"I was constipated for 2 days. Had the urge to go but the stool would not budge! I was having so much anxiety and abdominal discomfort I just wanted to cry. ran out to Walgreens to buy a bottle of the grape version. Downed around 8oz of the bottle around 12:30 pm with a big glass of water. Went to bed and around 4:30 am I woke up with the urge to go. I ended up straining and only pooping out a little pellet. Disappointed and nauseous I went back to sleep. Woke up at around 8amdrank the rest of the 10oz bottle with another glass of water and about 30 min after that my tummy began to gurgle & I had the urge to go , I pushed just a little and boom! Feeling so much better! MC for the win!!"

Reliefinabottle November 11, 2015

"About a week ago, I started feeling really nauseous. I hadn't felt like that since I was constipated a few years back and after a couple days went by and no poop, I knew that I'd go through hell once more like before. I decided to get Miralax which within days I thought would work for me but nothing happened. Couple days after I knew something was wrong. Long story short I went to the ER and the doctor told me to get MC. Was only a couple of bucks pretty cheap. They told me not to drink the whole bottle so I took half. Within an hour it came but I felt like not all so the next day I took the rest today. This is the only thing that worked for me!"

Sierrarm3 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2015

"I would recommend this stuff. I am battling with gastritis caused by predisone and I have not been able to poop for a week. So I took this stuff and magic 7 hours later...coffee and tea really help"

Nursepoo October 30, 2015

"I have ibs-c/sibo/food sensitivities, and periodic severe constipation. This medication has saved me from a trip to the emergency room on a few occasions. After a few days of miralax and mineral oil, with no results, I took 4 ounces of magnesium citrate liquid yesterday, with limited results in 2.5 hours. I went to sleep, and woke with pain under my right ribs. I took another 5 ounces, (9 hours after the first dose), and went back to sleep. I woke this morning to nothing but noise and gas. I tried a cup of coffee--success! The amount of time for it to work has varied each time I've taken it. This time, it was between 15 and 16 hours. Also, the cup of coffee really helped. Side effects (mild nausea, headache) are worth it. Good luck!"

Happily Going With The Flow (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2015

"I started PEP due to a needle stick with an HIV positive patient (ahh it's okay I'm trying to stay positively negative "

Backed up (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2015

"So, I had severe back pain that kept me out of work for a week when a co worker texted me that she had the same thing and it was impacted bowels. I was like whatever, it's in my back. I went to a chiropractor, had a CT scan, blood work, urine tests, the whole works. Now 2 wks out of work and the pain moves into my hips and lower abdomen... So I saw my primary care doctor who prescribed me oxycodone and baclofen but I suggested to my doctor impacted bowels and she ordered a pelvic ultra sound. N What do u know So after $130 on the chiropractor, racking up all $500 of my deductible, buying a back stimulator $30, spending $30 on medications and spending $15 on co-pays 2x the mc was 97"

Veryhappywoman (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2015

"I was diagnosed with IBS-C a few years ago so it's been a struggle trying to become and stay regular. I take Miralax a few times a week but it doesn't seem to do much unless I take a full capful and then it does too much. So anyway, my boyfriend had been complaining of constipation so I took him to Walgreens to grab some Mag Citrate. I decided to grab a bottle as well. We returned home, drank the 10 oz bottles (I got Cherry, he got Lemon -- both taste horrible -- very very sour, so just down it!) and before we knew it, after about two hours or so, we were both fighting for the bathroom. Literally, fighting! Luckily, we have two restrooms but one is on the other side of the house and when you gotta go, YOU GOTTA GO! This stuff is wonderful!"

Anonymous August 8, 2015

"Ok, first of all, I'm the biggest skeptic on the planet. And alot of the times, I scour the internet looking for help, to no avail. But I must say, this medicine is great and it really worked for me. I'm currently taking an opiod and I've always had really bad constipation. I get severe pain in my upper right hand side quadrant. I usually pass it and just move on. But this past week has been terrible! I've never had so much pain and gas build up in my life! I felt so sick I couldn't work, or even move out of my bed. luckily, I was told to pick this up. It initially worked, but didn't clean me out completely. So 11 hours later it started to work and work and work! Remember it can take different times for everybody! But it's a great relief!"

Raizer456 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

"When going through chemotherapy many patients experince constipation. After trying every pill laxative I found magnesium citrate and boom it become a regular thing to do the week after chemo. Fast forward a couple years I had my boobs reduced, this time the anesthesia completely blocked me. Its not enough that my boobs look like they had a fight with Freddie Krueger but I can't use the bathroom! But of course I used magnesium citrate and again, problem solved."

Cancer Child/Cosmetic Surgery (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2015

"I have to say I didnt beleive when i heard this worked inmediately.....I am usually very regular but after 6 days of constipation I was in hell, being bloaded and gassy is not the most pleasant feeling. So after 3 days of looking at the bottle i was still afraid it would taste like cough medicine but i was desperate so just drank it.... no bad!tastes like soda.... so drank half of the 10 oz bottle n then a bottle of water after 1 hour felt nothing but nausea since i drank it on an empty stomach at 9am....30 mins after i drank another 1/4... 1 hr later i thought maybe hot coffee will help.... i didnt even finish my coffee when i felt ready... so 1 hr n 30 mins for me!no cramps or anything.... better than pills! this stuff is magic"

Thestruggleisreal July 12, 2015

"It took me 14 hours . Hurt quite bit as large lump was stuck in the rectum. Once this piece came out everything was cleared. In my opinion magnesium citrate made the the price little bit soft to and helped pass ., but there excreting pain while first pass and stomach cramps were very bad. I also took doculax so I do not know what caused the cramps"

Al1244 July 10, 2015

"Im a person that goes religiously .. ( literally 3x a day or more ] .. So I was stopped up for 4 days.. You can imagine, I was in HELL. I texted my father in desperation at 2am asking for advice .. He didn't respond, but he showed up to my house the next day ( 6/29/15 ] with a bottle of Cherry flavored MC.. When he told me I had to drink the entire thing, I damn near cried. I took it at about 6pm & by 7:30, I was feeling gurgling in my stomach & literally 15 minutes afterwords, I went to the bathroom & immediately started feeling better .. Unfortunately, I'm currently over here cautious as hell about passing any type of gas .. I should be good by 6am though. I think 12 hours is more than enough time. MC is def. a good choice."

KareChinn (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2015

"It works! Years of constipation problems was fixed by taking 250 mg of Magnesium everyday."

It does work (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

" which causes constipation. And this is the only thing that clears me out. With IBS you get stopped up a lot. They give you a stool softener and powder miralax. But the indoor plumbing just won't work... my Dr told me to do this when I feel bloated and with IBS pains"

Lynnie1991 June 22, 2015

"I had been stopped up for about a week & went to the cabinet to grab ole reliable Mag citrate. I drank 32oz of water before drinking 10oz of grape flavored citrate, then drank 3 cups of coffee and ate a greasy hamburger. One hour later I ran to the toilet and what happened in there reminded me of sounds and explosions I heard while serving in Iraq. It was total destruction and that poor toilet didn't stand a chance. It was a 4 flusher & I recommend having baby wipes and soft toilet paper handy for at least 24 hours."

Dr. Stool (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2015

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Magnesium Citrate is the nuclear option. If this stuff doesn't work, you ought to think about going to E.R. Only use this when you can stay home for about 12 hours. I drink 1 ten ounce bottle and about 16 ounces of water. If it doesn't kick in after four hours I'll drink another half bottle and drink more water. The more water you drink, the better and sooner it will work. Plan on multiple trips to the toilet and when you're sure there couldn't possibly be any more, stay put for another hour. Also, and this is important, once you drink it, don't trust a fart!!!"

KevinATL (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2015

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next