User Reviews for Magnesium citrate

Also known as: Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma, LiquiPrep

Learn more about Magnesium citrate.

Magnesium citrate review summary

9.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 214 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Magnesium citrate to treat Constipation

Review by Lexie2006:

magnesium citrate: I have dealt with constipation off and on for years and finally this year I had a bout of constipation that lasted 2 weeks I had been eating peanuts, bran cereal, apple juice and finally went back to the ER and they prescribed me magnesium citrate and I'm an hour in and its not doing anything, tastes sour and I'm not hurting I think its gonna work.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 6, 2014 12:33 PM
Review by Boot3rs (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

magnesium citrate: worked great for me, other than it caused irritation and it burnt like hell.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 16, 2014 8:56 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

magnesium citrate: Just had surgery 5 days ago and haven't gone to the bathroom since. Took other laxatives didn't work and I have a very sensitive stomach. The doctor told me to drink all 10 ounces of this, the cherry wasn't horrible but very sour. I took mine out of shot glasses to make it easier. Got about 8 ounces down couldn't drink anymore thought I was going to throw up. It's now 7 hours later and beginning to work! I feel better already! Wish I would have used this sooner.

January 30, 2014 11:02 PM
Review by Marq06 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

magnesium citrate: I took that magnesium citrate and in about 2 hours my stomach was ready to let the waste go. I was deeply constipated and couldn't poop for about 2 and a half weeks. Also for the 2 weeks I drank water and had a lot of fruits and veggies to keep my system working. If you take the citrate and it doesn't work it doesn't mean you have a blockage it just mean you don't have enough fiber and I would suggest after drinking citrate to have a lot of water to keep yourself hydrated and eat a banana to get the fiber you need. Well I just finished and feel actually good.

January 25, 2014 3:42 AM
Review by n ♡ w/ this medicine (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

magnesium citrate: Throughout half of my whole life I have been plagued with chronic constipation, and recently it was very bad. My entire large intestine was full of waste and was in so much pain I lost over a week of work! I took the medicine last night, and ended up falling asleep with no results and I was scared it wasn't going to work on me. Next thing I know I went to the bathroom to go do #1, and ended up very surprised by doing #2, 3, 4, & 5! Lol, it may be disgusting to some, but this medicine is definitely AWE-some.... it relieved my pain and possibly saved me from being fired.

January 22, 2014 10:43 AM
Review by I am so relieved!: User Rating:

magnesium citrate: My stool (poop) felt so hard. It was very painful. Every time I get a bowel movement, I rushed to the toilet but it hurt so much that I just decide not to let it out, because I'm scared of getting hemorrhoids. Sometimes I feel the stool, and it was just painful. I tried bulk-forming laxatives, but they don't seem to have much effect. Finally just took half of a bottle of magnesium citrate. Doesn't even taste that bad, and it was cherry-flavored. After taking it, I also ate a banana. Worked after 3 hours. The urge was really great, and I was a bit afraid of the poop being painful to push out. But it didn't even hurt. I was really relieved. I'm glad magnesium citrate exists.

January 2, 2014 10:49 PM
Review by ThisGirlPooped (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

magnesium citrate: Yes. Under a Dollar. Tastes Like A Sour Candy--yum! Gentle and doesn't make you explode like a traditional laxative. Works for Several Days--watch what you eat the following few days.

November 5, 2013 8:57 AM
Review by Catlady33: User Rating:

magnesium citrate: Awesome. I wish I had known about this little glass bottle years ago. I had always known that it was ingested before a colonoscopy but I assumed there was a special reason. I know now! I am a very regular person. Very. Lack of fiber, a new hormonal contraceptive, and tons of caffeine caused a stop up. I was ready to punch someone in the face. Drank a bottle at 6:30pm. Got a little worried because I was told it was almost instantaneous. I got disappointed and just decided to sleep. Woke up at 5am and BAAAAAMMM! I feel so much better. And not only does it taste really tart (cherry)...but it was only a buck, and it didn't cramp like an oral laxative pill.

November 4, 2013 6:42 AM
Review by Me1234567: User Rating:

magnesium citrate: The first time I used this I had not had a "go" in 14 days. It's works fast! It does taste sour but the relief is worth it.

October 27, 2013 11:33 PM
Review by chocdat (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

magnesium citrate: Took about 3 hrs to work. It feels like I had to pass gas. Good thing I went to the toilet before I did! Cherry flavor was great. Taste like cherry sour candy. I would definitely use this again!

October 11, 2013 3:54 AM
Review by Cornelius!: User Rating:

magnesium citrate: I read all of the reviews on this medicine but it took 6 hrs for it to work on me! And still working today. Thanks for the info on the 'gurgle' when you hear that-start running to the bathroom! But it does work and I plan to keep some on hand if this happens to me again.

August 22, 2013 3:15 PM
Review by easy going-now (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

magnesium citrate: I bought 2 bottles of the cherry flavor (which wasn't bad tasting) and having never used this product before and considering I was constipated for a week, took both bottles. About an hour later I felt a long but gentle gurgling feeling with watery noises. Don't do 2 bottles, I've been back and forth to the bathroom more times than I can count and have gone through 2 rolls of toilet paper so far. At least I feel a lot better, now if I could only stop going.

August 8, 2013 9:27 PM
Review by Throne-master (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

magnesium citrate: If you're constipated, don't waste your time looking for other products. Just grab a 10 oz bottle of Equate's magnesium citrate. Yes my friends, this remedy for constipation says "To hell with the extra mile, I'm running a marathon for you" and that it does, and well. You'll need a comfortable toilet, subscription to netflix on your iPad.

June 15, 2013 8:53 PM
Review by n9oooooow: User Rating:

magnesium citrate: Awesome. Could feel like I had to go but kept pushing and ended up giving myself hemorrhoid. Tried stool softener and Miralax and fiber, then remembered watching Dr Oz show and stated that he uses magnesium citrate for his constipation so went out and bought it. Worked in 2 hrs.

April 2, 2013 12:25 AM
Review by HemCon (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

magnesium citrate: It works fine and produced results in about 5 hrs when I had hemorrhoid related constipation with no bowel motion for a week.

March 25, 2013 5:43 PM
Review by tinkrbl: User Rating:

magnesium citrate: I was plugged for more than a week. Tried Miralax, docusate, Milk of Magnesia, and fiber. Got nothing. Cause was opiates unbeknownst to me. Doctor said to try magnesium citrate. 45 min later all systems go. Been in the "oval office" off and on for a few hrs but I'll take it. I did not feel good before.

March 12, 2013 3:58 AM
Review by Marie1122: User Rating:

magnesium citrate: I had been constipated over a week. The last two days were very bad and I had pushed so much I ruptured a hemorrhoid (that I got from pushing etc) and had bleeding. I was completely swollen and sore. I tried a saline enema and another the next morning. Stool softeners with laxative both days but no help. Mineral oil laxative and again no help. I was nauseated sick and very sore. I was about ready to go to the ER when a pharmacist recommended trying this. I drunk 8 of the 10 oz. Tasted okay. After the first 8 oz I was too nauseated to finish. After 1 hr it softened enough to push. After another hour I was vomiting but also able to use the bathroom and it was liquid every 15 min for about an hour. Woke up and had more liquid stool but feel great.

February 22, 2013 10:26 AM
Review by lookn4relief: User Rating:

magnesium citrate: Iron pills make one constipated. Magnesium citrate 2x a month relieves problem. Recommend replenish water and a few vitamins after losing so much fluids. Advise to take on a day off to prevent embarrassing and uncontrollable potty trips. I take at night before bed, next morning its works. I stay at home for most of the day until mission accomplished. Good luck!

November 11, 2012 8:12 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

magnesium citrate: My antidepressants and thyroid problem make it extremely hard to go to the restroom everyday. I chug this down, and after about 15-30 minutes it starts. Pros: gets rid of everything it seems, instant relief Cons: taste makes me gag, and my stools come out very watery (probably normal) but this goes on until the next day for me, sort of embarrassing being over at a friends and having to use the restroom. I suggest you take it in the morning to prevent this from happening.

June 18, 2012 8:59 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

magnesium citrate: I'm not normally constipated, very rarely..and if I just drink coffee, or more water. This time something was different about this constipation. My stool wouldn't budge. I could feel it at the bottom of my anus, but the stool just wouldn't come out. I took a stool softener/laxative. It didn't work overnight..mild movement, but I still could not produce a stool.D o yourself a favor and go to the drug store, and get magnesium citrate. I was very uncomfortable, grinding my teeth. I took this within 15 minutes of purchase, I drank half of it, as noted by the doctor and it started working immediately and wonderfully.

October 25, 2011 1:50 PM
Review by griz63: User Rating:

magnesium citrate: I have constipation all the time due to pain medication that I take daily. Every couple of weeks I wake up on Sunday morning and down a bottle of magnesium citrate. Within an hour everything in my bowels is liquefied and problem is solved. I don't suggest leaving home for a few hours after doing this though because you and your toilet will become very friendly.

May 13, 2011 11:42 AM
Review by osteopathy_is_best: User Rating:

magnesium citrate: Used one bottle along with full glass of water, due to severe constipation after longer than normal course of narcotic analgesia. Problem resolved.

October 5, 2010 9:54 PM
Review by blackdymin: User Rating:

Citrate of Magnesia (magnesium citrate): I was constipated for 10 day's - had tried everything - laxitive, enema, suppository and colon cleanser but nothing worked. After using this in 4 hours I had some relief.

186 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2008 10:22 AM