User Reviews for Magnesium citrate

Also known as: Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma, LiquiPrep

Learn more about Magnesium citrate.

Magnesium citrate review summary

9.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 216 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Magnesium citrate to treat Constipation

Review by Love this product:

This product is good not only for constipation but it also cleanses out your intestine and helps with bad breath or really bad smelling stools or gas

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2015 5:41 PM

Review by Intesinelly Better:

Citrate of Magnesia (magnesium citrate): I have been stressed for many months. My nutrition and water intake has changed And my stomach has been uncomfortable for over a week. I chilled my 10oz bottle for 30 minutes and had dinner. Drank it around 7.30 and thought I was ready by 8. False alarm, but by 9.45, it began to work. Draw back is, almost a day later, I'm being cleansed. I used the lemon flavor. To make the taste more bearable, chill it and use a mint after. Make sure to drink 8oz of water as the instructions state.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2015 2:05 PM

Review by Beavis1980:

Worked a little bit, was expecting more results, used cherry flavored and lemon flavors. Liked cherry, disliked lime.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2015 12:06 AM

Review by ThatOneChick:

Magnesium Citrate really works. It tastes terrible, but it's worth it. Just drink it fast. Once, it worked for me within an hour or two. Last night, I took it at around eight and went before seven this morning. It takes a while sometimes, but it cleans you out completely. Your stool will be liquid for the most part after drinking this, but some light pushing may be required.

January 25, 2015 5:53 AM

Review by Berry berry (taken for less than 1 month):

So, the taste (doctor recommended the lemon flavor, but I'm feeling like I should have went with cherry instead) is similar to that of rancid vinegar. As soon as I chugged the 10oz bottle I began feeling really sick to my stomach. I even vomited. After about 30 minutes to an hour I decided I had enough. My stomach started churning and before I knew it I was running to the bathroom. I stayed glued to the toilet seat for a good hour. Basically rinse and repeat that for the duration of 5 or 6 hours. The remainder of the medicine just leaves my stomach feeling terrible and noisy. Good medicine, bad side-effects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2015 1:27 AM

Review by nyschorse:

So, I've had idiopathic constipation for a couple years now. I generally have it under control, but every once in a while I'm blocked up. I drank this at around 5pm, hoping to feel its effects before I went to sleep. By midnight I was frustrated and quite uncomfortable. I contemplated going to my 24hour CVS but decided to go to bed and go in the morning. There's a reason they say don't drink more than 1 bottle in 24 hours,OH BOY does this stuff work. Give it the full 24 hours before making any additional actions. I woke up and a couple minutes later found that I NEEDED the toilet about 3 times in a 1/2 hour. Past that I had a strong but not alarming urge once more and after that, my stool was watery but nothing close to diarrhea.

January 13, 2015 7:06 PM

Review by Matt Hatter (taken for less than 1 month):

I took Magesum Citrate (about 7 oz) before I went to bed and woke up ready to release. This is very effective, though it can take a while, and personally, it was pretty hard to down the bottle. The taste isn't bad, I actually kind of liked it, but it was very sweet and stayed in my mouth, not anything too dis comforting however. Overall, this works like a charm, but it can be hard to swallow and works slower than other medica tions for constipation.

January 13, 2015 10:14 AM

Review by troubled_gut (taken for less than 1 month):

I took this at 9.30 and by 12.30 I woke up and it was time to go! I had been constipated for 8 days and I'm ten weeks pregnant. Dr said it was safe so....but man oh man...be careful because it turns your stool to nothing but liquid.

January 3, 2015 11:34 PM

Review by Becky from IL:

Every now and then I would get a sharp pain in my belly and when I tried to go nothing came out. If I waited long enough it would but it was not fun since it was large and took some effort to get out. At times I was in so much pain I was sweating and nearly in tears trying to get it out. One day I felt it coming but didn't want to go through all that so I went and bought 2 10oz bottles of the lemon flavor. I came home and covered the bottom of a tall glass with the soda stream lemonade syrup, half the bottle of magnesium citrate, sugar, and the rest with water. I somewhat enjoyed the taste and after drinking half the glass I gave birth to the plug. Easy peasy!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2015 4:31 PM

Review by Anonymous1452:

Very helpful solution. Been backed up for over a week since my wisdom teeth surgery. Couldn't sleep, stressed out, and eventually got angry when nothing such as laxatives would work. Father bought a bottle of the citrus flavor from Freds. Didn't taste too bad actually, and noticed effects after 2 hours. Nothing uncomfortable, just relieved knowing that I'll be better by in the morning.

December 30, 2014 11:59 PM

Review by firm believer (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been backed up for a week or so I asked my mom what I can use for relief. She told me to try magnesium citrate. The 1st time I downed the whole bottle and nothing. I told my mom & she asked me did I drink water after taking it, which I hadn't done. She told me to wait 48 hrs and drink another one, followed by at least 2 glasses of room temperature or lukewarm water. I drank it at 8 pm, by 1 am I was awakened from my sleep by noises coming from my stomach I had never heard & an urge to, poot. Something told me to find a toilet, which I did, and that poot turned into a full fledged ka boom! This stuff gets the job done.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 10:02 AM

Review by 12345marie:

I had surgery and was extremely constipated. I literally felt hard, lumps of stool that were too large to expel. I tried everything, and even took the prescribed laxatives and stool softeners during recovery. Still these huge stools the size of -literally- baseballs. I couldn't take it anymore because the strain of pushing was beginning to cause tears and compromise my surgical incision. I used one suppository and drank 9/10 of the bottle. The suppository worked in 30 minutes but was painful and there was still more stool. I feel though it made way for the Magnesium Citrate to do its wonders. I was weak and nauseated at first. About 2.5 hours later I had a bowel motion here & there. Started to feel better. By 3 .5 hours I had diarrhea, Yay! Empty and tired.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2014 4:58 PM

Review by I hope this helps:

I wasn't able to poop for about 1 week my friend told me about the Magnesium citrate I drank the full 10 oz , I waited about 2 hr and let's just say everything that I had eaten about a week ago is finally coming out and I can't stay to far from the toilet, the poops come out like water. I am using baby wipes. Besides that I feel better belly wise.

December 24, 2014 4:11 PM

Review by Bradydr:

I've taken magnesium citrate before and last time it worked in about 40 minutes..this time I took it and its almost been 9 hours and nothing. I am getting real frustrated now **update- about a half an hour after posting I drank some coffee hoping it would make me poop, about thirty minutes after drinking coffee it finally came, about 9 hours after drinking 10oz magnesium citrate. 10:00pm- 7:00am

December 18, 2014 7:34 AM

Review by hayy.:

I've always battled constipation. This time I had gone the longest without a bowel motion. Almost three weeks, my husbands cousin recommended I get the grape flavored magnesium citrate from the dollar General. I was desperate, I looked six months pregnant and couldn't eat anything I was so bloated and uncomfortable. I got it drank the whole ten ounces and a bottle of water which made me feel very sick at first. After about thirty minutes I started feeling gassy but just in case it was more I ran to to toilet! Very glad I did. I recommend this for anyone who doesn't have time to sit at home waiting on laxative to work. It's very quick and effective. I also suggest drinking lots of water.

December 12, 2014 9:06 PM

Review by Betoosmart38 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been constipated for 6 days. It seemed there was no relief in site for me. I took stool softener/laxative for a few days without any results. I then bought Exlax and took 4 pieces at one time. No result. I went to the ER as my stomach was hurting all up the sides and middle. The Dr. recommended Magnesium Citrate and told me to drink the entire bottle. I went to Family Dollar and it only was $1.25. I ate a sandwich prior to drinking.I drank the grape flavored Magnesium Citrate at 8:00 PM with 16 ounces of water. After a few hours, I was still in a lot of pain didn't feel anything happening. I couldn't even pass gas. at 1:30 AM It started. It is now almost 3:00 and I am still going. not sure how long this will last but I feel great!!

November 29, 2014 2:55 AM

Review by Joey B. (taken for less than 1 month):

Was constipated for 5 days after taking prescribed narcotics for bruised ribs. Doctor recommended it. Didn't taste half bad and drank a glass of water after. Didn't feel anything for about 5 hours, then my stomach felt gassy and then boom. So much relief and I didn't have to push to hard (since my ribs are bruised).

November 15, 2014 12:19 AM

Review by L.H. (taken for less than 1 month):

After having wisdom teeth removed, I have only been eating jello for past five days. Felt as if I had to go #2 yesterday, but it would not come out. Thought I was simply constipated, so I went out and bought laxatives, and I took two right before going to sleep. This morning, I woke up with stomach pains worse than yesterday. Tried to go the bathroom, and laxatives did not work: it would not come out. I was in tears from pain, and begged my Father to grab something to MAKE me go while he was out grocery shopping. He came home, said "Take this", and so I did. After only 45 minutes, I went. You will cramp up badly and feel rumbly-it WILL hurt-but as everyone else said, the relief is worth it-Drink plenty of water too! 10/10 for M. Citrate!

October 25, 2014 12:54 PM

Review by Finally Relieved . . . (taken for less than 1 month):

Citrate of Magnesia (magnesium citrate): I highly recommend this product. I have been constipated for several weeks now and my doctor recommended 2 days before colonoscopy (in addition to prescription prep). I chose grape flavored CVS brand. I refrigerated night before and took at 6:45pm next evening. It is very sour but carbonated so it was doable. A family member suggested that I eat at same time to cut down on nausea which really helped. At first I felt like my stomach was going to explode because I drank the 10 oz bottle followed by 16 oz of water. Then there was a lot of stomach bubbling. I finally was comfortable enough to lie down and eventually fell off to sleep to be then awakened by this urge to pass gas at 12:40am. Don't do it!!! Find a toilet fast! It works!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 7:52 AM

Took it about an hour ago so far I'm just super gassy. I feel my insides moving... But then when I think this is it.. It's just gas.

September 23, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by A First-Timer:

So Friday I had noticed that I was a bit stopped up, and I had the same kind of pain you have when you know you just gotta go (poop). I had never been constipated before, but I sort of gave myself a self-diagnosis, and decided that constipation was indeed my problem. The following Tuesday after nonstop aches and pains in my stomach I decided to go to CVS and buy a stool softener. That didn't really work very well on me, as a stool softener only works on the stool that has yet to be produced(it doesn't help with the current blockage). Finally, I decided to go to the doctor, where I was prescribed Magnesium Citrate. This stuff works miracles! It tastes very sour, but kind of like sprite, and I took it at 3 and evacuated my bowels at 7.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 6:55 PM

Review by HJA2014:

Only thing that worked!

September 7, 2014 9:59 PM

Review by earthenvessel02:

Backed up a couple weeks, the Miralax wasn't cutting it. Dr. instructed probiotic daily and this to get it moving again. Said it was kind-of like 7-up. To me, it was more super-sour-citrus Italian soda, and wasn't so bad. When I've been constipated for shorter periods it'll often come out large, which my home toilet can't handle.

August 24, 2014 9:59 PM

Review by Rach's Adventures (taken for less than 1 month):

So, unlike my hubby, who got the stereotypical "runs" in Mexico, I got the opposite - 10 days of no poo in Puerto Vallarta. I tried EVERYTHING towards at the end of our 2nd week "dream" vacation. Anyway tried drinking too much alcohol, took stool softeners, stimulant laxatives, suppositories... until one day we where downtown & I have to say that I'm in pretty darn good shape, but I looked like death and was covered in sweat. An old pharmacist saw me & insisted we come into his Farmacia - my husband explained what was wrong, THEY BOTH LAUGHED, he came back with a bottle that looked like Target's brand & I thought it was good - tasted like sour patch soda. In 1 hour I DESTROYED one of our resort's toilets. Thank you old pharmacist I love you!

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2014 10:31 PM

Review by Megan Grayson (taken for less than 1 month):

This past week has been horrible. Monday through to Wednesday I was recovering from food poison, and Tuesday- Saturday I was extremely constipated. I spent early Saturday morning 2:30am-5:00am tossing and turning in pain. I realized it had almost been a week since I had a bowel movement. I got up, googled some home remedies, (olive oil, baking soda, prunes etc..) so I tried olive oil. Nasty. Baking soda? Hec no. Prunes? Its 3am. No. So finally I came across magnesium citrate. I got dressed, drove to my local CVS and chose the grape flavor. Got home, forced down the bottle, drank some water and 2 hours later nothing. Waited another 1.5 hours and BAMMM. Like a water hose. So relieved. Cramps and feeling sick so worth it. At last. feel 100x better

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2014 9:45 AM