User Reviews for Magnesium citrate

Also known as: Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma, LiquiPrep

Learn more about Magnesium citrate.

Magnesium citrate Rating Summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 184 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Magnesium citrate to treat Constipation

"Ever since I was diagnosed with IBS I try to avoid dairy so I won't explode like I am now, clearly I have an issue with it. Well for whatever reason as of late dairy consumption has constipated me to high heaven. Decided after a week in a half of frustratingly small bowel movements and a TON of straining it was time to drink the "poop juice" as I call it. Within 45 minutes I had to SPRINT to the bathroom and my god didn't think I'd make it in time. It's now been a few hours and I only really left the bathroom twice. Found it easier to just stay on the toilet. Im now reading everyone's reviews because i needed something to pass the time and these are usually hilarious! If the poop juice doesn't work for you go to a about doctor or ER!!"

Gotta love IBS (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2016

"Diagnosed with Kidney Cancer in 2013, according to the CT/MRI scans Doc said I was "backed up". Said to drink a full bottle of Magnesium Citrate with a lot of water. Took a good 30-45 minutes to start feeling the movement in the gut. You'll sit on the toilet for about 20 minutes while a violent volcano eruption happens out of your bum. Liquid lava I'd call it, It will shoot out of you like a high pressure washer - gets the job done. But the fact of the matter is, it works extremely well. I would suggest using MC when you're terribly constipated but not for every day use. I'm sitting on the Ceramic Throne as we speak after chugging a sweet cherry flavored bottle of Magnesium Citrate."

CeramicThrone (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

"I had surgery on my lower spine and was constipated for 9 days afterward. I had tried multiple times to let fly but nothing happened. The last time I was going there was so much pain. And since I was unable to push too much it was very difficult and I actually started to freak out a bit. Then I remembered that my girlfriend had picked up a bottle magnesium citrate. I chugged the bottle with a chaser of water. I then continued to sit there on toilet with nothing happening. I decided to go lay down for a bit. About 1.5 hrs later I rushed for the porcelin god and ripped my drawers down yelling at my girlfriend to go go go!!! I sat there wondering how much it was going to hurt and then it happened."

Renovatio28 (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

"I haven't pooped in 2 weeks, so the ER happened. I was diagnosed with slow motility in my intestines and severe constipation by the ER, and was put on 3 laxatives. None worked for 5 days. In a last ditch effort, the doc said to take MOM. I went for broke and took 4 tablespoons at 6:30 pm. Nothing happened for over 12 hours. I took 2 more tablespoons at 11 am the next morning. Within 30 minutes, I ran into the bathroom clenching. I am trapped on this throne, and it's like a geyser. I kid you not, it is coming out of me like lava. MOM is the real deal - DO NOT JOKE ABOUT THIS!"

shittingmybrainsout April 4, 2016

"wow!"

Mjsjdndk March 30, 2016

"I had been so horribly backed up that I coild feel the skin on my stomach stretching. I tried taking herbal colon cleanse pills in hopes that it would help, but after 4 days of zero bowel movements I decided to turn to Magnesium Citrate. I took 10oz first thing in the morning on an empty stomach followed by a liter of water. 30 minutes later it kicked in. For about an hour and a half I also had nausea and stomach cramps. Once things started moving more it went away. Like another reviewer said, this will make you pee out of your butt. If you are looking to be cleaned out and immediate constipation relief, I highly recommend this product."

Alex N. March 23, 2016

"If I haven't hardly gone to the bathroom in a few days, and I feel bloated and blocked up, like there's a plug in my gut, Magnesium Citrate works. Every time. Sometimes it takes longer than others, but I don't mess with anything else. Drink the whole bottle. Follow with water or gatorade. Wait 3-12 hours. Sometimes the constipation and bloating makes it really hard to focus, so I'll drink it before bed, and wake up to go the the bathroom. Set aside a few hours you can be near a home toilet, as there's a decent chance you'll need to clean up afterward!"

Zheta (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2016

"I had surgery 5 days ago, had not pooped since the day before my surgery, so a friend of mine went to CVS and bought me the grape flavored, as a get well soon gift. She knew more than I did apparently. ..it took about 3hrs and then it started working. .needless to say I have been going a lot, so to kill time I have been reading the reviews on this medicine and I can relate to some of them...some are hilarious, but I needed something to do while I waited for the lives to renew on my game...after all I'm just sitting here."

The porcelain thrown (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2016

"I had been constipated after giving birth for 3 weeks. I took stool softeners and I took Flax seed and after 3 weeks I pooped, worst pain of my life!. Worst that giving birth. After that I thought it was going back to normal. But after 3 days it happened again. I took Citroma this time but all I got was a lot of bubbles in my stomach along with gas and cramps. No relief :("

Ms.Madam February 12, 2016

"I have had approximately 14 feet of my small bowel removed along with half of my descending colon. I also have IBS but instead of having short bowel syndrome, I stay constipated. I can't strain, I've had all muscle removed from my abdomen. I feel like I can never finish my bowel movements and at times I'll not go for a week. I don't think it tastes bad at all. I got the lemon lime for $1 , grabbed a can of sprite and proceeded. I didn't drink but a quarter of the bottle and chased it with the sprite. Within about three hours I finally had some relief!! I'm just going to continue using it twice a week or so. And actually the kind I bought, tasted like sprite, carbonated. It worked better than liquid suppositories!!"

Kari Michelle January 17, 2016

"I have a history of constipation. A permanent injury years ago forces me to have to take high doses of pain medication, plus I have an implanted pain pump. I've also had double hernia surgery, and have IBS, so sometimes pooping can be a big problem. I started taking Magnesium Citrate softgels a few months ago and they really seem to help a lot. Prior to taking them I was having to take pericolace tablets, ducolax, as well as, use a glycerin suppository, and still had issues going but now as long as I take the MC softgels daily, and drink adequate water all goes according to plan. I have in the past had colon preps and had to drink the MC liquid and YUCK LOL so the soft gel, or capsules are the way to go for me."

All Boundup (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

"I've been feeling blocked up not getting everything out for two weeks, and for the last two days nothing but liquid is coming out, so I'm assuming fecal impaction. Since I was still passing gas, I figured it would be okay to try out a laxative instead of just popping stool softeners with water. I took half of the bottle at 8:30am, then figured if it's worth doing it's worth doing right so I drank the other half at 9:00. It's 5:00 in the afternoon, and still nothing. I figure I'll take some more softeners tonight, and head out to the pharmacy for tomorrow's preparations. If I can't get it out between another bottle, glycerine suppositories, an enema, some vaseline, and a pair of XL latex gloves, then I think I'll have to go to the doc."

Guy Person January 4, 2016

"I recently had a colonoscopy procedure, and afterwards, I didn't have a bowel movement for 4 days. I tried taking Miralax, and glycerine suppositories, and drinking 100 oz of water a day, but nothing worked! I went to the doctor and was told that my colon was now moving "sluggishly" and to get some magnesium citrate. I took it yesterday morning at 8am with a huge glass of water, followed by Gatorade, and by 12:30pm I was on the toilet going like a champ! I even cheered because I was that happy! But even extreme happiness has a down side! At 9:30pm last night, I was still going to the bathroom! Needless to say that, with my very sore bottom, I was no longer in a cheering mood. And today I am EXTREMELY gassy and bloated! But not constipated!"

Tara205 December 30, 2015

"When I get constipation, I also have trouble with urine. Extremely uncomfortable. But something directed me to discover mc. I only know senokot max, but it didn't help. mc took me 2 hr 10 min to get relieved. Once constipation is gone, so is my urine problem.."

rn324 (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2015

"As I was reading reviews wondering when this kicks in, it happened. Took 10oz in the afternoon and again in evening for colonoscopy prep, didn't drink enough water, and only made 1 movement. Thought "30 min to 6 hours til it works? Did I do it wrong? It's been almost 12." Yes, I did. I didn't drink enough water afterwards. Drink lots of water! I woke up at 2am and didn't trust a fart. Tummy gurgling, sitting down, browsing the net, and boom. You'll pee out your butt with this, no joke. Give it time and it'll take anywhere from 30 mins to 6 hours to kick in, possibly 12 if you're me and didn't drink water after. Got it for 97 cents in cherry, grape, and lemon flavor. They all taste like super sour candy and it helps to take with Gatorade."

ColonPrep (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

"I've had a sluggish bowel due to medication, I tried all sorts of laxatives, even enemas, with no results. This is the best stuff to clean you out. I have to take the whole bottle for it to work, I've tried just half the bottle, no success with that. But, with 1 bottle and about 8 hours, this does the trick. I use it about once a month."

Nicnac1020 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2015

"I had been constipated for about a week and nothing was working. Dulcolax, enemas, prune juice... You name it I tried it. Finally broke down and did some research and sent my husband to get a bottle of this stuff. He bought lemon or something and it tasted like hell. I chugged some pedialite afterward to get the taste out if my mouth. Within an hour I was in the bathroom and it was working - violently. Every 15 to 30 minutes I would go again. This has been going on for about three hours and I'm exhausted. If you can, do it during the day and make sure you have baby wipes, very soft toilet paper, and even witch hazel pads on hand. My only problem is I don't know how long this is going to go on for, although the trips to the bathroom are spreading out."

HadToGo December 10, 2015

"I have had chronic constipation since I was a kid that only got worse with age. I'm 29 now, I poop about once a week on my 'regular' days...and after a glass of Metamucil, 4 Fleet suppositories, 2 glasses of prune juice and enough grapes to make you sick. We called up a nurse friend who said, "This WILL work." My biggest issue seems to be that I suffer from dehydration, all the time... so drinking one glass of water before taking this wasn't enough to start my engines... so after some nausea, hours of anxiety 3 glasses of water, 7 1/2 hours later I was able to get some movement. There was 2 poops with the usual grating struggle, then by the 3rd round, it was like I poured a pint out of my butt. In one hour I pooped/poured 10 times!"

TwilightRabbit November 21, 2015

"I was constipated for 2 days. Had the urge to go but the stool would not budge! I was having so much anxiety and abdominal discomfort I just wanted to cry. ran out to Walgreens to buy a bottle of the grape version. Downed around 8oz of the bottle around 12:30 pm with a big glass of water. Went to bed and around 4:30 am I woke up with the urge to go. I ended up straining and only pooping out a little pellet. Disappointed and nauseous I went back to sleep. Woke up at around 8amdrank the rest of the 10oz bottle with another glass of water and about 30 min after that my tummy began to gurgle & I had the urge to go , I pushed just a little and boom! Feeling so much better! MC for the win!!"

Reliefinabottle November 11, 2015

"About a week ago, I started feeling really nauseous. I hadn't felt like that since I was constipated a few years back and after a couple days went by and no poop, I knew that I'd go through hell once more like before. I decided to get Miralax which within days I thought would work for me but nothing happened. Couple days after I knew something was wrong. Long story short I went to the ER and the doctor told me to get MC. Was only a couple of bucks pretty cheap. They told me not to drink the whole bottle so I took half. Within an hour it came but I felt like not all so the next day I took the rest today. This is the only thing that worked for me!"

Sierrarm3 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2015

"I would recommend this stuff. I am battling with gastritis caused by predisone and I have not been able to poop for a week. So I took this stuff and magic 7 hours later...coffee and tea really help"

Nursepoo October 30, 2015

"I have ibs-c/sibo/food sensitivities, and periodic severe constipation. This medication has saved me from a trip to the emergency room on a few occasions. After a few days of miralax and mineral oil, with no results, I took 4 ounces of magnesium citrate liquid yesterday, with limited results in 2.5 hours. I went to sleep, and woke with pain under my right ribs. I took another 5 ounces, (9 hours after the first dose), and went back to sleep. I woke this morning to nothing but noise and gas. I tried a cup of coffee--success! The amount of time for it to work has varied each time I've taken it. This time, it was between 15 and 16 hours. Also, the cup of coffee really helped. Side effects (mild nausea, headache) are worth it. Good luck!"

Happily Going With The Flow (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2015

"I started PEP due to a needle stick with an HIV positive patient (ahh it's okay I'm trying to stay positively negative "

Backed up (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2015

"So, I had severe back pain that kept me out of work for a week when a co worker texted me that she had the same thing and it was impacted bowels. I was like whatever, it's in my back. I went to a chiropractor, had a CT scan, blood work, urine tests, the whole works. Now 2 wks out of work and the pain moves into my hips and lower abdomen... So I saw my primary care doctor who prescribed me oxycodone and baclofen but I suggested to my doctor impacted bowels and she ordered a pelvic ultra sound. N What do u know So after $130 on the chiropractor, racking up all $500 of my deductible, buying a back stimulator $30, spending $30 on medications and spending $15 on co-pays 2x the mc was 97"

Veryhappywoman (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2015

"I was diagnosed with IBS-C a few years ago so it's been a struggle trying to become and stay regular. I take Miralax a few times a week but it doesn't seem to do much unless I take a full capful and then it does too much. So anyway, my boyfriend had been complaining of constipation so I took him to Walgreens to grab some Mag Citrate. I decided to grab a bottle as well. We returned home, drank the 10 oz bottles (I got Cherry, he got Lemon -- both taste horrible -- very very sour, so just down it!) and before we knew it, after about two hours or so, we were both fighting for the bathroom. Literally, fighting! Luckily, we have two restrooms but one is on the other side of the house and when you gotta go, YOU GOTTA GO! This stuff is wonderful!"

Anonymous August 8, 2015