User Reviews for Linzess

Learn more about Linzess.

Linzess Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Constipation, Chronic.

Reviews for Linzess to treat Constipation, Chronic

"So I take this on and off. Well I am back on. And first off, I struggle with weight issues CONSTANTLY! Last week 5-11 I weighed 143. Today 5-20 I weigh 151!!! Haven't changed eating habits, drinking habits. Nothing. Needless to say it's nice to go to the bathroom. But when I have to fit in a wedding dress in 29 days I think I'll pass on the medication. The weight gain, water rent entire, severe bloating stomach. Think I'll pass."

Dresmiles May 20, 2016

"Suffer from IBS and have chronic constipation. This medication gave me some relief the first 4 days and from there it was all downhill. I now have diarrhea along with stomach cramps and can't leave the house due to these horrible side effects. I am on the lowest dose and have even tried to take it ever other day and then seem to revert back to constipation. I have been in bed all day today and feel sick with stomach cramps and feel very tired. I would not recommend this medication. Think I'll try Metamucil from now on and see how that works. Due to the IBS I am unable to eat most fibrous foods. I am very thin and linzess is causing more weight loss. Not a good medication."

Androcles (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

"For as far back as I could remember I always had issues going to bathroom. constipation. Bloating. Straining just for "pellets". I tried numerous over the counter products from powder forms to pills and they Did not work at all and caused more severe bloating and cramps. I found out I have colonic intertia. I had the strongest dose prescribed to me of the linzess and found that if I take it on an empty stomach 30 min before I eat dinner after I'm done eating id say 30 min to an hour I'll feel some pressure but no pain and know it's time to head to the bathroom and it cleans me out. I usually have maybe 2 small bathroom trips after and then I'm good for the nite. I usually take it twice a week not everyday or as needed to go to bathroom."

Jaye3680 May 17, 2016

"I've had severe chronic constipation for 3 years now. About a week ago I finally got health insurance so the first thing I did was make an appointment with a gastro. She prescribed me Linzess. For the first 2 days of taking it I had horrible cramps and my stomach was constantly making noises. Well on the 3rd day I finally went. It was only a tiny bit which was very disappointing. I'm now on day 4 and I am literally stuck to the toilet. I have severe cramps, nausea, heartburn, headache and no energy what so ever. I feel like I could fall asleep on the toilet. I have never been so miserable. I will definitely be calling my doctor on Monday and will never take this horrible pill again."

CW16 (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2016

"My doctor prescribed Linzess for my irregular, but chronic constipation. I have been on the drug for 2 months, but today is the last day I will take it. This drug controls your life. it is a good thing that I am retired, because there are some days I cannot leave the house. The effects of the medicine can last up to 6 hours and I have to remain really close to the bathroom. I have gained 6 unexplained pounds since I began the drug. My abdomen is so bloated, spanx does not help. I have to find an alternative."

avm (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2016

"I have tried taking it at night and in the morning on an empty stomach was very hopeful after reading reviews....no such luck Nothing happened it was like i wasn't taking anything maybe I should keep taking it as after a week I quit. I wish they would bring Zelnorm back it was perfect worked like a dream! Now trying Amitiza still nothing...resorting back to Miralax (which gives me gas) and Milk of Magnesia sometimes along with Ducolax and you have to stay home. Very frustrated"

YMB (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2016

"I was born with heirschprungs disease and have fought constipation all my life and as I've gotten older, it's getting so much worse. I took Zelnorm when it was on the market and it was a dream come true. Unfortunately it was pulled for possible side effects. Duh ... what meds don't? I've used Linzess 3 times now. Yes, it cleans me out but I have horrible stomach cramps and severe diarrhea. But as others have said, it's far better than being constipated for days on end. I so wish someone would/could bring Zelnorm back. Best solution there was. Will only use Linzess on occasion."

Mostly Miserable April 19, 2016

"I have had stomach and bowel movement issues since I was 2. I have tried everything. Reflexology, acupuncture, medicines and drank mineral oil for 10 years. I took one 145 mg pill and in 6 hours I actually had a bowel movement and several more to follow in the next 6 hours. I weighed myself the next day and I had lost 3 pounds. It does have some not so great side effects but I am happy that I can go. I don't take it everyday because it is too much for me I can't sit on the toilet all day but I do take it every other day it's working for me!!"

Jonie Jo (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2016

"I went to a GI specialist last week, assuming I had some serious issues other than constipation. However, it was just that- chronic constipation. The doctor gave me samples of Linzess and I started it at 10am on an empty stomach. I had a bowl of oatmeal about half an hour later. Then, 20-30 minutes after I had eaten I had the urge to use the rest room and for the first time in years, without the help of several laxitives, I expelled. Three times within a two hour time frame. I don't mind the diarrhea, because it was much worse not being able to go. But it is scary knowing you have to pass gas and not knowing if you might accidentally crap yourself."

Anon2d2 April 10, 2016

"I guess my experience is unique in that I am an eating disorder survivor and my chronic constipation originated from purging (forcing myself to vomit &/or take huge quantities of various kinds of laxatives) for many years... I have been taking Linzess for about 16 months now. I would say it took 3-4 months for it to actually start working for me, but when it did, it seriously changed my life for the better. However, lately it has not really been working at all, which is extremely anxiety-provoking and concerning, as it took me forever to find a solution to my problem...and now I might have to start looking for another."

anonymous c (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 8, 2016

"Like many others, I had high hopes. After year of stool softeners, laxatives, exercise, water, high fiber, etc. with a bowel movement 1 or 2 times/week and rarely feeling like I was 'empty' I got a 30 day RX filled (my ins paid). I didn't experience anything for a couple of days, then a few soft stools. As the days went on, I would have an occasional bowl movement but I started having horrible gas! I tied to stick with it since I figured it would just take time to regulate everything so I refilled RX. Well, today is MY LAST DAY TAKING LINZESS!! I have been more bloated today than ever in my life, I have pain from my sternum to my pelvis my abdomen is so distended. Gained 4lbs in 6 days!! MIS.ER.A.BLE!!!!!!"

TobiasJackson (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2016

"I took a 145mcg dose yestersay morning at 8am on an empty stomach and ate 1 hour later. I still haven't gone to the bathroom, nothin at all but stomach gurgles. I just had a ct scan on Wednesday and X-ray showing I was completely backed up. I tried an enema at home Thursday and miralax and probiotics and that didn't help either. I am on opiod medication and have been experiencing chronic constipation for years now. My husband however experiences temporary constipation and took the same medication yesterday morning and within hours he had diarrhea and his stomach has been hurting allday. I was worried about starting this after reading all the bad reviews especially about weight gain. I can see it works different for everyone. I will try again"

Arae29 April 2, 2016

"I have had severe consitpation for years, after having children. However, I have always had a problem w/ constipation since child hood. I tried everything I could over the counter and several different meds from Dr's from all over the US. (traveling military).. Finally I have tried Linzess. I have had good/ bad experiences with it. On the first 3 days I took it, it was great. I took it on an empty stomach 30 mins before breakfast or coffee. Then I felt that I had no more to poop, so I didn't take it again for 2-3 days. I took it as directed again; nothing happened all day, but I had severe stomach cramps/heartburn for over 24 hours. NOTHING will stop this pain. I've read that taking it at night before bed can help. Im going to try this too"

LinzessUser (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2016

"I was nervouse taking this at first, always have been afraid to take laxatives. After about 2-3 weeks now I've noticed that for the first 12 hours or so after taking Linzess, I have no appetite and very loose BM almost to the point of diarrhea. After that 12 hour window, I'm right back to constipated and in pain from the stomach/intestine cramps. Need to contact the Dr to see what to do now."

Jay488 March 23, 2016

"I have dealt with chronic constipation all my life. No matter how I change my diet, no matte how much I work out to keep things moving I still get constipated. I can go weeks at a time with no BM and sometimes a whole month. I know this is definitely not normal. My doctor has done 3 colonoscopies and can't seem to find anything wrong. About 3 months ago I went in with severe constipation and nothing I took helped. He gave me samples of Linzess, I was afraid to take them at first but I was so miserable I said what the heck, better out than in. I took the Linzess and within 4 hours I was in the restroom. I still had to do just a little lite pushing since the stool that was already in the rectal area was hard as a brick. I Love Linzess"

Ms. Tee3636 March 10, 2016

"I was prescribed Linzess for chronic constipation which I have been dealing with for years. I was prescribed 145 Mg. The first day I took one it worked great. I continued taking them every day as prescribed but they weren't working. I read that there is a larger Mg so when I hadn't gone to the bathroom for a week I took 2. BIG MISTAKE!! It started with horrible stomach pains which continued for 13 hours without being able to have a bowel movement. I was also vomiting. I had horrible heartburn too. I finally was able to go without warning all over the place. I had severe diarrhea for 5 hours. I mean severe!! Its been 2 days and I still don't feel well.I will go back to taking 1 and see what happens."

Teri1960 March 2, 2016

"I have had chronic constipation for 15 to 20 years. My Dr. gave this to me today. I took it and within 4 hours I had a BM..... WOW....to go to the restroom and not strain is amazing to me."

Hope is here (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

"I have had chronic constipation since I was a baby! I remember having to take suppositories as a kid, not going to the bathroom for 2-3 weeks and getting very ill and needing an emema. I took Zelnorm for a few months before it was pulled from the market, that was an amazing drug. It made me feel wonderful and I would empty completely every day. I always have 8 enemas under my sink at all times. My GI doctor doesn't like that I take them but if I don't I will be in the hospital! I took Linzess this morning at 6 am on an empty stomach, waited about 1 1/2 hours before I ate breakfast, 2 pm I ate a light lunch and I have yet to have a bowel movement. Well, today is day one. I will come back and update this or add a new note tomorrow."

JerseyCityDude (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2016

"This drug has been a lifesaver. After having chronic constipation for years, I feel like a new person. Read the reviews and figured out how it would work best for me. I take the pill in the morning on an empty stomach every 2 to 3 days. I feel so much better now. I used to feel sluggish all the time having had one bowel movement a week. Believe me I tried everything imaginable before this so I was very happy when my gastro dr. suggested this drug."

Elly Belly February 13, 2016

"It works ! After taking seneca for quite a few years it stopped working. Plugged up, cramps. Doctor put me on linzess and each morning I take it 2.5 hours before I leave to work. Usually flushes me out 3-4 times withing 30 minute period of time."

un-plugged February 11, 2016

"I have been taking Linzess for constipation due to being on pain medication, because I have an internal/external bile duct drain that is exchanged monthly. The medication has worked well until today, and I am miserable. This is the first time this has happened."

thebbmurphy10 February 5, 2016

"I first experienced very good results with this medicine. Now being on it for 4 months I have had some side effects now for the past week. Feels I have more bloating than before and frequent bowel movements along with nausea and feeling pressure in my colon more so than before. Pain so intense that I have been taking motrin to ease the uncomfortable feelings I have been having for a week now. I am reporting to my Dr tomorrow or asap."

D. Lawson January 26, 2016

"I was reluctant to try Linzess and I wish I'd listened to myself! horrid pain for hours, cramping, stomach pain, belching, lightheaded, chills, and now spasms, definitely a setback in my GI saga. I'm irritable and completely out of sorts too - my poor family! At one point I thought I'd faint and need urgent care. I'm lucky my kids were here to help. I took it as directed, so that's not the issue. I'm just posting in case anyone else experiencing a negative reaction is wondering if they're alone. You're not. It's not for everyone."

SadGut (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

"I'm a 45 year old extremely fit women who eats extremely healthy BUT has suffered with IBS-C for 25 years. I used to take Bentyl when I would have IBS attacks, but I kept needing more and more which would continue to constipate me. Welcome Linzess! After getting the dosing and timing right, it's been a LIFESAVER! I take the lower dose before bed and have 4-5 loose BM's in the morning which cleans out my system. I have not had a single IBS attack in MONTHS since I started Linzess. Yes, it's a pain in the bottom, but I'd rather have 4-5 loose stools in the morning than live with constant constipation. The days I don't take it at night, I don't go to the bathroom in the morning. Relief...finally!"

Kimmie16 January 19, 2016

"I have experienced chronic constipation since I was diagnosed with systemic lupus 15 years ago. I have tried nearly every over the counter remedy with only short-term relief. I have been on 185 mg Linzess for a month and am happy when it actually works. Maybe it is too soon to decide if it is a great drug to relieve my constipation, but so far, it only stimulates a bowel movement 2-3 days/week; most often within 2 hours of taking the drug on an empty stomach. The other days, I am bloated, constipated and full of gas."

Jenn05 January 13, 2016