User Reviews for Linzess

Learn more about Linzess.

Linzess Review Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Constipation, Chronic.

Reviews for Linzess to treat Constipation, Chronic

"I am fairly new to this medication. I am only using it for a week The first pill I took late afternoon until I realized I should be taking it in the morning. However the first pill worked like a charm and the ones I took in the morning have had little to no effect."

Lfine (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2015

"This worked fast and worked extreme. While it did help with the colon spasms it gave me severe diarrhea and abdominal cramping. I was waking in the middle of the night having to urgently use the toilet. This medicine does work, it's just not for me."

Cww (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

"I am a 70-year old female who has had a chronic problem with colonic inertia for many years and have done the water-fiber thing, eating healthy, exercise, various laxatives, enemas -- you name it. Not only did these measures not help much but I was always having abdominal pain, bloating, heartburn and just not enjoying eating anymore. I was placed on Linzess and have taken 2 pills thus far and I think I am experiencing a miracle. I have a full and complete Bowel Motion with normal cramping and no more suffering with bloating and cramping during the day. I just pray it continues and my body doesn't get used to it and stop working."

brangelina (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015

"I have had chronic constipation for most of my life. I have had to take a laxative on a weekly basis to be able to go once a week. My Doc gave me this at my request and I have to say it has been a lifesaver. I now am able to go every day. I have some discomfort in my abdomen that lasts for a couple of hours but it is minimal and certainly nothing like the discomfort of being blocked up. I am so very pleased and hope it continues to work. I would highly recommend this drug!"

Anonymous in VA April 6, 2015

"I have been taking this for a little over a month, and I am extremely happy. I have suffered from chronic constipation my entire life. Since on this medication, I have regular bowel movements and less cramping and bloating. It does make me drowsy, so I now take it before I go to bed. I take one at night and by the morning, I am able to go."

AvaJean April 1, 2015

"First day, first dose. Bowel urgency greater than I ever could imagine. If I want to have the contents of my bowels liquefied, I can take magnesium citrate. I'm nauseous and I have a headache. I'll have to only take it on days when I am close to a private toilet."

The Runner (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2015

"I have had problems all my life having a BM and as I got older it became harder and harder to go at all, then I could not go at all. I have dried everything some things worked a couple of times and then stopped. I was desperate, I had to give myself a colonic to empty bowel. Then I tried linzees and it works but it does not completely empty my bowel and I take 290! I have to take miralax with it and that helps. I go like three times a day but not to completion. My life has changed drastically as I don't have to spend hours in the bathroom giving myself a colonic. Also it does not cause cramps, nausea and dizziness all of which other products did."

Jodyteora1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2015

"I have had severe constipation all my life. Was taking over the counter laxatives daily to go too the bathroom so I decided to talk to my Dr. about prescription laxative, she gave me Linzess. Well I have been on Linzess for a week now. Mornings are such a breeze. I take Linzess 145mg a half hour before meal and have a elimination with in 2 hours or less. This medicine is a miracle for me."

loisie (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

"It worked very well and quickly from the first dose, but has a side effect that is not listed. I have type II diabetes and after taking the pill, my blood sugar drops sharply. I take the medicine, then eat a big breakfast to counteract this. Also, if you go to drugs.com, you will see a list of drug interactions and none is listed at the pharmacy or on the Linzess wedsite. If you take an antacid, the Linzess doesn't work. There are quite a few drug interactions if you care to check it out."

vgal (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2015

"I have used Linzess for one year and feel much better. I have not missed work or had an ER visit due to pain. I have not missed a family event and sleep all night."

StephanieHappy March 22, 2015

"I have been on 145 MG of Linzess for 5 days now. I technically have idiopathic chronic constipation. But it's caused by a basketball sized hernia. I have to wear an abdominal binder for support and that causes the constipation. Because of the hernia I have no muscular stomach wall. Sternum to pelvic bone and almost 10 inches wide. So on top of constipation, I have little to nothing to push it out with. What a conundrum, huh! Well when I take a dose I feel the need to go after about 1 1/2 hrs. But....it's minimal. Just enuf to say I'm here but I'm not come g out yet. Hopefully I get some real relief soon and become regular soon as well!"

MommaTina March 18, 2015

"I have been on this medication for over 1 1/2 years. I have suffered with severe chronic constipation my entire life and was so excited at the thought that something finally helped! I am extremely active and live a very healthy lifestyle. Initially it worked great as most everyone on here has said but now I am gaining weight for absolutely no reason, can't have a bowel movement to save my life and constantly have headaches and a severely bloated stomach that won't go away no matter how healthy I eat, how little or much food I take in or how much I exercise! This wonder drug turned out to be a farce for me and I will now discontinue use!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 17, 2015

"I have been battling chronic constipation for a year. I eat a healthy diet of fruit/veggies/whole grains and some lean meats along with exercise - however, the problem seemed to come out of nowhere. In any event, I tried stimulant laxatives and stool softeners and nothing moving for me. I was prescribed this medicine after many scans/tests with no explanation for my ongoing problem. It seemed to make my stomach "churn" but nothing else. I was so disappointed. After this experience, I tried magnesium citrate and it WORKED (after a few bottles). After I COMPLETELY cleaned myself out, I started in again with my Linzess (at the highest dose). It now works perfectly! I'm amazed! I have a normal, healthy BM after every single meal."

Lolazzz March 10, 2015

"This medicine is everything. I take this and within an hour I'm in the bathroom. Once I take the pill I drink a whole bottle of water and it helps a whole lot better. Usually go 2-3 times when I take the medicine. This medicine has saved my life."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 5, 2015

"I have suffered from chronic constipation since my mom said I was in diapers. I will go up to 2 weeks without movement when on no medication. I started on Amitiza 10 years ago, learned how to deal with the side effects, but still hated the nauseousness they cause. I asked my doctor to switch me to Linzess even though she hasn't had any patients on it yet, and so far I LOVE IT! No terrible side effects. Yes I get diarrhea on it, but that is common for any medication I take for CIC. I'll take diarrhea over constipation any day. No stomach pain, no bloating, no water retention!"

BB88 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2015

"I have severe chronic idiopathic constipation. And Lizness usually works within 2-3 hours after taking it. It doesn't work every time but if it works 2 times a week then I'm happy. Without it I only had a Bowel Motion once a month at the most. And that's after using magnesium citrate."

GI nurse February 23, 2015

"This drug has drastically improved my quality of life! I've had IBS-mixed for as long as I can remember, though more recently I've had more trouble with chronic constipation. Linzess has allowed me to have regular, well-formed bowel movements, as long as I'm very compliant with a high-fiber, healthy diet, and as long as I stay on a predictable schedule and drink plenty of water. It even helped me while traveling, though it's less effective if I don't follow a regular routine. I've never had a problem with diarrhea while taking it, even when I took the higher IBS dose, though I found that my abdomen feels less bloated and full on the lower dose. Linzess is by far the most effective treatment I've tried!"

raina36 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2015

"I have been on opioids for many years and that was increased in 2013 with a knee replacement surgery. That's when the constipation became uncontrollable. All the fiber in the world would not move me. Until linzess. It is still unpredictable some days, ( unexpected and explosive) but it is better than being backed up, bloated and miserable. I've been taking it on and off because my insurance would not pay or they would pay fora lower dose which I cannot use except very infrequently."

better than not (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2015

"Low dose worked great but after samples were done and coupon used I was asked to pay 286 dollars for a 30 day supply with my auto worker retiree medical plan. Back to constipation it seems...TOO EXPENSIVE."

Vicki in Buffalo (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2015

"I have suffered for a year with severe gastro problems that landed me in the emergency room 3 times and a ride in the ambulance. This medicine is a miracle but can cause severe diarrhea (like stay close to the bathroom and don't leave your house till you adjust). It is a miracle medication and has greatly improved the quality of my life."

Flip4me62 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2015

"Same as others here, constipation for 20 years (currently in my 40s). I'd go weeks without a movement, became terribly ill. Laxatives caused intense cramping, nausea and fainting, so when Miralax came out I was thrilled. 5 years later on the Miralax almost daily, my doctor suggested the Linzess. Started samples (245mg) until I could fill my (145mg) script, and I don't recommend the higher dose - terrible cramping, nausea and unpredictable movements. After starting the 145mg dose, I'm doing much better, with a very productive movement (or 2!!) every day, but I'm disappointed. I'm fairly torn to shreds with fissures from hard, forceful movements. Hoping for improvement soon!"

First Week User (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2015

"Was prescribed Linzess for chronic constipation. Within 6 days I gained 7 pounds. When you're only 120 pounds, 7 is great! I'm an extremely active person and healthy eater. Thought it was water weight from the medicine, but been off the medicine for over a week and still weigh the same. Wish I had seen all the posts online about rapid and stubborn weight gain prior to taking the it!"

DC211 January 4, 2015

"Began taking the 145MCG at first it worked great then after a few times not so great. Doctor suggested I take two pills a day (290MCG total). That worked much better. I skip some days if I'm going to be away from home or far from a bathroom. This stuff works great but at least for me I have to plan my activities around the dosage."

67usaf January 2, 2015

"This has been a life saver for me. I've had several bouts of diverticulitis and my gastroenterologist referred me to a surgeon for a consult. I asked for a trial of Linzess. Immediately I had relief. It worked "too well" in the beginning (stayed close to bathroom entire a.m.). Now I use 145 dose daily and I am fine. So grateful for Linzess!"

Janice33 December 30, 2014

"Wonderful, works in about one hour."

Maejoe (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2014