User Reviews for Linzess

Learn more about Linzess.

Linzess review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Constipation, Chronic.

Reviews for Linzess to treat Constipation, Chronic

Review by franny9564 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I have suffered with irritable bowel syndrome for 45 years. Different medicines worked for short periods but quit. Linzess has greatly improved my days but the cost keeps me from taking it daily so it must be taken sparingly.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 1:38 PM
Review by Maggiejozi: User Rating:

I've had chronic constipation for as long as I can remember. Tried eating more fiber and drinking more water and that just makes things worse. Prescribed the 145 and took it in the morning. Nothing for the first 4 days then remembered my doc said that some of her patients had better luck taking it at night. It worked great then. Some times I have diarrhea but not always. The only downside is unpredictability. I will take this over constipation any day. Other then diarrhea, I have no side affects. So give it a try at night if you aren't having luck in the morning.

March 23, 2014 9:31 PM
Review by LJalmostB: User Rating:

I began taking medication for my thyroid about a year ago. Prior to that I NEVER had issues with constipation. I was an "at least once-a-day goer" and happy about it. The various medications I started REALLY messed me up. I would go DAYS without a bowel movement and I FELT TERRIBLE. I was not made for this. A tried every over the counter medication, both natural and not, that you can imagine. Nothing would work. About 40 days ago my doctor prescribed me Linzess and I have gone *almost* every day since. It almost ALWAYS loose stool, however I sometimes even have to run to the restroom. But I will take that over constipation ANY day. One other drawback is that my stomach is VERY loud when I'm on it. Quiet rooms, quiet meetings...

March 19, 2014 2:34 PM
Review by computergal (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Tried to get my husband to take this since it came out in January. I was tired of him moping around the house taking laxatives. He has opioid induced constipation of the worst kind. He finally gave in and tried this and says it is a miracle. It worked within 3 hours and did the job. It also did it smoothly without pain. He will be taking it regularly from now on. He had to pay $30 copay with our insurance.

February 6, 2014 9:00 PM
Review by mrs jojoxo:

I've been battling chronic constipation, and with that a 50lb weight gain over the past several years. I also have leukemia so the medicines make the constipation 10x worse. I tried the lower dose Linzess and nothing (I was so constipated that the bowel prep for the colonoscopy did not work at all. Took 2 tries). So my doctor upped the dose on the Linzess to the 290 and I love it. I haven't felt this "empty" in years and its motivated me to eat healthier since I have dropped 10lbs in one week. Be sure to drink a lot of water! Also, if works differently on everyone so when first taking it....be sure you will be near a bathroom. I will take the extra bathroom trips over horrendous constipation any day! It works for those gaining weight.

February 4, 2014 9:04 AM
Review by grammielisa: User Rating:

I've been on Linzess 290 for a couple of weeks. It does work for me. I go at least once a day now, as opposed to 2 x a week. BUT, it does make me extremely tired, and weak, and without much appetite. I've gone from a size ladies 14 down to a size 4, and I keep losing. The doctor wants me to see a nutritionist, maybe this will help.

January 29, 2014 2:17 PM
Review by aalisa (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I've been on Linzess for 1 month 290 mg. I've tried almost every medicine you could think of. I've had Irritable Bowel Syndrome since my 20s. Linzess helps with the bloating but am still having problems using the bathroom on a regular basis. Other than that I've had no adverse side effects.

January 26, 2014 9:05 PM
Review by chrissy239: User Rating:

I been on it for two months. Started with the 145mg worked right of. Then the body got used to it didn't go for 2 weeks. Now on 290mg. For 2 weeks. Alright at times. But give time too see how does. The only next step I can see is surgery. But gastrointestinal doctor says no surgery too fix. 30 years off constipation. What more can I take. Only 39. Now have other medical problem from straining do much over the years.

January 25, 2014 3:35 PM
Review by Can't live without linzess (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I'm 36 yrs old. I've battled with constipation for as long as I can remember. It got so bad I was taking a pill laxative once weekly routinely, which as you know was painful. I got Linzess 290 samples from my Dr. Took at 4pm. In less than 2 hrs, I felt my stomach rumble as if I may have diarrhea. Thank goodness near a bathroom. Anyway cleared me out, no pain. I take it when I want to go. It works, just be near a bathroom. I swear I can't live without it now. Being constipated far worse than diarrhea any day in my opinion!

January 13, 2014 2:10 PM
Review by Ms P.: User Rating:

After years of constipation and self made yet uncomfortable bowel movements Linzess saved me. After laxatives and supplements stopped working I finally went to the Dr and he prescribed Linzess. Don't know what I'd do without this medication.

January 8, 2014 8:01 PM
Review by supercalifragilisticexpialidoshis: User Rating:

I just started taking Linzess 145 mg. My doctor gave me samples to try. The first few days I didn't notice anything, by the third day I finally cleared out my intestines, which was after almost a month of not having a real bowel motion. I actually stopped taking the medication for a few days because I was concerned I wouldn't be able to go anywhere, then started again today. In about 30-45 minutes I was in the bathroom. I'm not sure if I have to take it everyday or if I can skip a few days in between. I will ask my doctor. So far so good. Anything that helps me go is a miracle. I'm happy with once every several days especially because I am used to going every couple of weeks.

December 18, 2013 8:52 PM
Review by counting sheep: User Rating:

I am currently having horrible cramps and constant diarrhea. I cannot even bend over to pick something up without having to run to the bathroom. I am very sore at the other end and my bowel movements are like water.

December 2, 2013 2:54 AM
Review by Hard hat: User Rating:

Tried the 145 and the 290. I am so disappointed that neither worked.

November 13, 2013 1:34 AM
Review by Martii: User Rating:

After trying everything under the sun...nothing ever worked. Not to go into a long drawn out story....tried linzess 145 didnt work...tried the linzess 290 got results within hours all that day. I am very happy with it. I done colonics, all kinds of laxatives, detoxs, enemas...etc. The best thing in my life right now is LINZESS

November 6, 2013 6:17 PM
Review by GODGIVZ (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I too have suffered years with chronic constipation. My dr. prescribed the low dose of Linzess. I have not had much luck. He gave me samples of the high dose today which I pray will help. I will keep you informed. Don't be discouraged with the negative reviews. All meds do not work for all people. I suggest you try it and see for yourself. Hopefully it will have a discount program so that it will save us $$$$ since we may be on it for the rest of our earthly lives LOL. Peace and Comfort to you all.

November 4, 2013 7:58 AM
Review by Limerick1979: User Rating:

This has been a miracle for me. I had a bowel prep for a colonoscopy and endoscopy which cleared my system. My doctor started me on 290mcg of Linzess the day after the procedure. I have gone to the bathroom everyday since, sometimes more than once. I have little or no reactions to the medicine other than when I need to go, I need to go now. I keep it by my bed and take it with a glass of water first thing in the morning. No more bloating or gasiness. Cost is the only draw back. Expensive if you do not have insurance. I have suffered with chronic painful constipation for about thirty years.

October 11, 2013 11:01 AM
Review by RogueHippo: User Rating:

I've been on the 145 for less than a week, and am disappointed that nothing's happening yet. Dr. told me to increase to 290 if I don't see any results, that will be next step.

September 25, 2013 2:23 PM
Review by Onedoseto misery: User Rating:

Took one Lizness and 30 minutes later had massive cramping from my stomach and intestines. If I even took a sip of water it got worse. Rolled up in a ball crying all day, no one, not the doctor or pharmacy had any idea of how long it would last. Best guess was 24 hours. It stopped at 9pm for the most part and started at 5.30am. Today my entire body is sore to touch, bloated and horrible stomach ache. Can't eat anything.

September 11, 2013 7:35 PM
Review by ArlingtonPup (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

My doctor said I have chronic constipation, since laxatives stopped working, fiber supplement, water fruit vegetables don't do anything to me. I had an entire bottle of Magnesium Citrate and didn't do anything to me. I was so miserable and constipated that I didn't know what to do anymore. My stomach looked like a big balloon and I had gas. My doctor gave me 4 bottles of Linzess 145 mcg/capsule. I took it and it works. I am so happy I found out about Linzess. The first few days the Bowel Motion was watery, but now it looks better. Its the best to take it early in the morning as someone already said with a tall glass of water, and within an hour you will go. I am so happy to know about Linzess and I hope it keeps doing miracles to me. Recommended.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 5, 2013 9:16 AM
Review by yolandanelson31: User Rating:

I have been on long term/long acting narcotics which have made me very constipated. I was going once every 3-4 weeks and when I did go it was hard and caused a lot of bleeding. I have tried every thing imaginable enemas, suppositories, laxatives and stool softeners to no avail. I asked my GI doctor for this or Amitiza and was told that these were only available for IBS-C and he told me to do things I was already doing (drink plenty of water, eat leafy green veggies and take stool softeners). My primary care doctor (who is a saint) said lets try it anyway and it worked! I only go 2 -3 times per week but it is so good to know that I have some resemblance of regularity now.

August 2, 2013 4:03 AM
Review by singlelady914 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

i just started taking Linzess and it is a miracle worker for me. I've been constipated for over 30 yrs and nothing helped me. Even Amitiza didn't help, it just bloated me, gave me gas and pain. Linzess works most of the day so I don't take it when I'm out and about. This morning I took 290 mcg. and within an hour I had a bowel motion. I recommend it to anyone who suffers from constipation like me.

July 18, 2013 11:09 AM
Review by Keri 2: User Rating:

I just wrote a note of appreciation to the physician who prescribed LINZESS for me. I have been taking it now for about three months, and it has truly improved my life significantly. After suffering from constant constipation for over thirty years, I am so thankful to have this life-changing medication. It works consistently and predictably everyday without any noticeable side-effects. If my schedule does not permit its use, for example having an early flight, I simply do not take it that day. For me, this medicine has been miraculous.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 25, 2013 1:08 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I found that this medicine helped me more than anything else I have ever tried.

June 18, 2013 5:45 PM
Review by NJ001 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Have always had problems with constipation due to colonic inertia (muscles in the bowels do not contract to move the stool through). Have been 8 weeks without bowel movements.This does not work for my situation. There are a lot of gargly noises, but still nothing.

May 11, 2013 11:38 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have suffered from Gastroparesis for about 6 years now. This is a disease where your stomach and intestines are paralyzed. It is EXTREMELY painful!! Severe constipation is a MAJOR factor when you have this disease. Recently, I went to the ER with terrible gut pain, and my entire abdomen was distended to the point of looking like I was 8-9 months pregnant! I had not had a bowel motion for 6-8 weeks, but when I told the doctor on-call this, after waiting to see him for 5.5 hours, he laughed and told me "it isn't possible to go that long without having a bowel movement!". I then went to see a different doctor at a different clinic. He gave me samples of Linzess, and I FINALLY WENT! Just wish ALL doctors knew about this medicine!

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 28, 2013 2:35 AM